- There are almost 19,000 care homes, nursing homes and residential homes providing adult and elderly care throughout the UK of which the majority are operated by the independent sector (private for profit) or voluntary (not for profit) organisations.
- Around 44% of care home residents are fully self-funded.
- There are an estimated 1,800 ExtraCare developments with over 70,000 bed-spaces across the UK. Only 98 of these developments are funded by the Department of Health.
- There are currently around 9,500 providers of care homes in the UK, of which almost 80% own just one home.
- The top 5 contractors and developers in the care home sector by value of contracts awarded in the year to June 2017 accounted for 28% of contract value in this period.
These facts have been extracted from AMA Research’s ‘Care Homes Construction Market Report – UK 2017-2021 Analysis‘ available for purchase now.