Access Equipment Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 18/11/2016 / Number of Pages: 63 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 12th edition of the 'Access Equipment Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' represents an up-to-date and perceptive review of the market and its development. First published in the early-1990s, this report covers both non-powered and powered access products - including ladders, scaffolding, access towers, MEWPs and mast climbers. It reviews developments within the industry since 2011, with current forecasts of market performance up to 2020, assessing recent trends, key influencing factors and future developments within the UK market for access equipment through to 2020.
Product sectors covered:
Non-Powered Access Products:
- Ladders - aluminium, wood, GRP and steel.
- Access Towers - mobile, stair, span units, folding platforms.
- Scaffolding - system and traditional.
Powered Access Products:
- Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) - personnel lifts, trailer mounts, self-propelled booms, scissor lifts, vehicle mounts.
- Others - including suspended access systems and mast climbers.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of key product segments - market size and trends, product mix, key suppliers and distribution for ladders, access towers, scaffolding, MEWPs and other powered access systems.
- Key market influences including construction output in the residential and non-residential sectors, legislation, plant and tool hire market and other key influences
- Assessment of market prospects for each sector including market size estimates to 2020 and market trends.
- Major suppliers and shares - ladders, access towers, scaffolding, mobile elevating work platforms, mast climbers and suspended access.
- Review of distribution channels for access equipment.
- Detailed market data and insight on the access equipment market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
A Bratt & Son, Alimak Hek, Altrad NSG UK, A-Plant, Atrium Gantry, Austin White Ladders, Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services, Bronto Skylift, Cento Engineering, Chase Manufacturing, CoxGomyl, Clow Group, CTE UK, Euro Towers, Façade Hoists, Fraco, Generation UK, Genie UK, Haki UK, Haulotte, Hinowa UK, HSS, Interlink Alloy Systems, Globe Ladders, JLG Industries UK, Kee Safety, King Vehicle Engineering, Ladder & Fencing Industries, Lavendon Group, Layher UK, Lyte Industries (Wales), Maber, Manitou, Midland Ladder Co, Niftylift, Norscaff, Ramsay & Sons, RMD Kwikform, Scanclimber, Skyjack, Snorkel UK, Speedy Hire, TB Davies, Teupen Maschinbau GmbH, Titan Ladders, TopTower, Tractel UK, Turner Access, Versalift Distributors UK, VP Hire Station, Wardworth, Werner UK, Yeoman Pressings, Youngman Group, Zarges (UK).
The UK Access Equipment Market
- Total Access Equipment Market - analysis of market size by value in 2011-15, historical trends, assessment of market performance 2015/16, forecasts 2016-2020.
- Product Mix - non-powered access and powered access products by value, changing mix 2000, 2008, 2015 and 2016 forecast - key changes, trends.
- Key Market influences - including economic factors, performance of construction sector, legislation, plant hire, tool hire, event equipment hire market sizes. Infrastructure equipment hire sector review.
- Future Prospects - forecasts of potential market performance from 2017 to 2020.
Non-Powered Access Products
- Market Size - analysis of total non-powered access equipment in UK, assessment of market performance since 2011 and forecasts of performance to 2020.
- Product Mix - value share of individual non-powered access products 2015.
- Analysis by Product - including ladders, access towers and scaffolding - market size by sector 2011 to 2015, key influencing factors, forecast performance by sector 2016 to 2020.
- Product Mix/Trends and Developments - for each sector including share mix by material/type, product developments, etc.
- Key Market Influences - strength of end-use sectors, competition between products, competition from powered access, growth of infrastructure sector etc.
- Key Suppliers - market shares by product sector - review of key players.
Powered Access Products
- Market Size - analysis of total powered access equipment in UK, assessment of market performance since 2011, review of conditions in 2016 and market forecasts to 2020.
- Product Mix - value share of individual powered access products.
- Analysis by Product - including MEWPs, suspended access systems and mast climbers, market size 2011 to 2015, review of market sectors in 2015/16, key influencing factors.
- Product Mix/Trends and Developments - for each sector. MEWPs product mix - Scissor Lifts, Self Propelled booms, Vehicle/Trailer mounted, Vertical Masts/Personnel Lifts etc. Specialist Access product mix - Suspended Access/Mast Climbers.
- Key Market Influences - including construction output, tool hire and plant hire etc.
- Key Suppliers - review of MEWPs sector.
Supply and Distribution
- Review of Key Suppliers to UK Access Equipment Market in 2015. Focus on key suppliers, market shares, corporate changes, recent company performance, etc.
- Key Distribution Channels - main distribution channels and share 2015 - direct sales, rental/hire market, specialist distributors, developments within distribution channels.
- Focus on Rental Sector - leading organisations, recent changes within the rental sector.
The UK access equipment market was estimated to have grown by 7% in 2015, with a further 4% growth forecast for 2016. The market returned to growth in 2012, following a stagnant period, with particularly sharp growth experienced in 2014 and, to a slightly lesser degree, 2015. This growth was initially driven by improvement in the powered access equipment sector, although the non-powered sector also increased in value in 2014, largely in response to increased output in housebuilding. However, powered access equipment has continued to enjoy faster growth overall than non-powered equipment, as safety considerations and the increasing range and penetration of powered products in the low-level access sector continue to erode the share of non-powered equipment in the overall market.
In addition to housebuilding, the key construction sectors that have contributed to growth have included infrastructure, offices and industrial. Powered access and non-powered access products compete for similar work and, within each separate sector, products also compete directly, for example, access towers, scaffolding and ladders. Overall, powered and specialist access equipment is estimated to account for around 57% of the market in 2015, with non-powered access equipment accounting for the remaining 43%.
Within the powered access sector, MEWPs account for the majority share, with an estimated share of around 50% in terms of value. In the non-powered sector, aluminium dominates the ladders materials mix, but GRP has gained market share and is increasingly seen as a mainstream product, not just one for applications where non-conductive materials are necessary. After a period of comparative price stability, some future price rises are expected, also adding value to the market across the review period. Going forward, the powered access equipment market is forecast to perform better than the non-powered sector, particularly towards the latter part of the decade.
Prospects for the construction industry continue to appear positive, although lower growth rates are expected compared with 2014 and 2015. Growth in construction output will generate market opportunities for access equipment, especially in the housebuilding and infrastructure sectors, which are likely to be boosted by government measures. However, UK business confidence remains fragile, and in addition, the access equipment market can fluctuate, being influenced by fleet buying decisions in the relatively volatile MEWP sector, leading to erratic levels of growth. From 2017, growth is expected to continue at an average 3-4% a year until 2020.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 STERLING 15
- 3.6 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.7 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE UK ACCESS EQUIPMENT MARKET 17
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 17
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE 18
- 4.3.1 Background and Market Performance 18
- 4.3.2 Current Situation and Market Prospects 19
- 4.4 PRODUCT MIX 21
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 22
- 4.5.1 Construction Market 22
- 4.5.2 Plant Hire Market 23
- 4.5.3 Tool Hire Market 25
- 4.5.4 Infrastructure Sector 26
- 4.5.5 Events Equipment Hire 26
- 4.5.6 Legislation 27
- 5. NON-POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT 30
- 5.1 DEFINITION 30
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND PERFORMANCE 30
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX 31
- 5.3.1 Overall Product Mix 31
- 5.3.2 Ladders 32
- 5.3.3 Scaffolding 35
- 5.3.4 Access Towers 38
- 5.4 SUPPLIERS 40
- 5.4.1 Key Suppliers of Ladders 40
- 5.4.2 Key Suppliers of Scaffolding 42
- 5.4.3 Key Suppliers of Access Towers 44
- 6. POWERED AND SPECIALIST ACCESS EQUIPMENT 47
- 6.1 DEFINITION 47
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 47
- 6.2.1 Market Size and Performance 47
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 48
- 6.3.1 Mobile Elevating Work Platforms 49
- 6.3.2 Specialist Powered Access Products 53
- 6.3.3 Key Suppliers of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms 56
- 6.3.4 Key Suppliers of Suspended Access 58
- 7. DISTRIBUTION REVIEW 60
- 7.1 OVERALL ACCESS EQUIPMENT MARKET 60
- 7.2 MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR NON-POWERED ACCESS 61
- 7.2.1 Ladders 61
- 7.2.2 Scaffolding 61
- 7.2.3 Access Towers 62
- 7.3 MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR POWERED AND SPECIALIST ACCESS 62
- 7.3.1 MEWPS Rental Sector 62
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK ACCESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2020 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT 2011-2020 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 18
- CHART 7 UK MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT MIX BY SECTOR (POWERED & SPECIALIST ACCESS, NON-POWERED ACCESS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 21
- TABLE 8 UK MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT - OVERALL PRODUCT MIX (LADDERS, SCAFFOLDING, ACCESS TOWERS, MEWPS, SPECIALIST) BY VALUE AND SHARE 2000, 2008 AND 2016 22
- TABLE 9 RESIDENTIAL AND NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI) GREAT BRITAIN 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 23
- TABLE 10 UK PLANT HIRE MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2011-2020 24
- CHART 11 UK TOOL HIRE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2013-2017 (£M) 25
- TABLE 12 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR NON-POWERED ACCESS PRODUCTS 2011 - 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 30
- CHART 13 UK MARKET FOR NON-POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT PRODUCT MIX (LADDERS, SCAFFOLDING, ACCESS TOWERS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 32
- TABLE 14 CHANGES TO UK ACCESS EQUIPMENT PRODUCT MIX (LADDERS, SCAFFOLDING, ACCESS TOWERS) IN 2000, 2008 AND 2016 - BY VALUE 32
- CHART 15 UK LADDERS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 33
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR LADDERS - MATERIALS MIX (ALUMINIUM, GRP, STEEL, TIMBER) 2015 - % BY VOLUME 35
- TABLE 17 UK SCAFFOLDING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 36
- CHART 18 UK MARKET FOR SCAFFOLDING - MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (TRADITIONAL, SYSTEMS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 38
- CHART 19 UK ACCESS TOWERS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 39
- TABLE 20 LADDERS MARKET - SUPPLIER MARKET SHARES - 2015 40
- TABLE 21 SCAFFOLDING MARKET - SHARE OF LEADING SUPPLIERS - 2015 43
- TABLE 22 ACCESS TOWERS MARKET - SHARE OF LEADING SUPPLIERS - 2015 45
- TABLE 23 UK POWERED AND SPECIALIST ACCESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 47
- CHART 24 UK MARKET FOR POWERED AND SPECIALIST ACCESS EQUIPMENT PRODUCT MIX (MEWP, SPECIALIST ACCESS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 49
- CHART 25 UK MOBILE ELEVATING WORK PLATFORMS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 50
- CHART 26 UK MARKET FOR MEWPS PRODUCT MIX (SCISSOR LIFTS, SELF-PROPELLED BOOMS, TRAILER MOUNTED, VERTICAL MASTS/LIFTS, VEHICLE MOUNTED) 2015 - % BY VOLUME 52
- CHART 27 UK SPECIALIST POWERED ACCESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 53
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR SPECIALIST ACCESS SYSTEMS PRODUCT MIX (SUSPENDED ACCESS, MAST CLIMBERS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 54
- CHART 29 UK MARKET FOR SUSPENDED ACCESS SYSTEMS PRODUCT MIX (TEMPORARY, PERMANENT) 2015 - % BY VALUE 55
- TABLE 30 UK MOBILE ELEVATING WORK PLATFORMS MARKET - SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS 2015 56
- TABLE 31 SUSPENDED ACCESS SYSTEMS MARKET - SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS 2015 58
- TABLE 32 UK MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT - DISTRIBUTION SHARE BY CHANNEL 2015 (DIRECT SALES, HIRE AND SPECIALIST DISTRIBUTORS) - % BY VALUE BY PRODUCT 60
The 'Access Equipment Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.