Active Fire Protection Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 27/05/2016 / Number of Pages: 45 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 1st Edition of the 'Active Fire Protection Market Report- UK 2016-2020 Analysis' contains analysis of the key active fire protection products (detection and suppression), recent market trends and future trends, along with supplier and distribution analysis. The report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in this industry or considering entry.
Key content covered:
- Market overview - overall active fire protection market size and forecasts 2011-2020.
- Key market influences, fire safety and regulations etc.
- Product review - Fire Alarms, Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Sprinklers etc.
- Key product trends, product mix and end-use applications.
- Main suppliers of active fire protection equipment and distribution channels to the market.
Key areas of insight include:
- The sector is relatively mature, and in the absence of any significant changes to Building Regulations and Standards in recent years, has been primarily driven by the wider performance of the UK building and construction market.
- Lower levels of major construction projects and RMI programmes in the public sector have impacted on the installation of new and replacement active fire protection systems.
- Growth of new construction and RMI levels in the commercial sector have boosted the market for active fire protection products and systems over the last two years.
- Increasingly, businesses are recognising the benefits of integration of fire and security systems, which is likely to remain a key feature of the industry.
- There is also increased emphasis on providing a full product and service package, including equipment, servicing and maintenance.
- Detailed market data and insight on the active fire protection market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
ADT Fire & Security, Advanced Electronics Limited, Aico, ADI Global Distribution (ADI Gardiner), Angus Fire, Apollo Fire Detectors, Chubb Fire & Security, Cooper Safety - Fire Systems, C-TEC, Discount Fire Supplies, Eaton Group, Ei Electronics, FFE Ltd (formerly Fire Fighting Enterprises), Fike Safety Technology, Fire Depot, Firetrace International, Gent, Haes Systems, Halma PLC,Hochiki Europe (UK), Honeywell Security, Hunters Wholesalers, Kentec Electronics, Kidde Safety Europe, Kidde Fire Protection, Macron Safety Systems (UK), Nittan Europe, Norbain SD, Notifier Fire Systems, Nu-Swift International, Protec Fire Detection Plc, Safelincs, Siemens Building Technologies, Sprue Aegis PLC, System Sensor Europe, Tyco Fire & Integrated Solutions (UK), Tyco Fire Products Manufacturing Limited, Xtralis.
Key areas of coverage in the report include:
- Historical background - influencing factors, legislation, economic influences etc.
- Market size by value - overview of active fire protection market, development from 2011-2016, with forecasts up to 2020.
- Review of key factors influencing recent growth rates, future prospects, potential in domestic/non-domestic applications etc. Performance of housebuilding, commercial construction etc in 2011-2020 period in particular.
- Overall product mix of active fire protection products including fire detection and suppression equipment for 2015.
- Future Prospects - short term and longer term prospects up to 2020.
Fire Detection/Alarm Systems
- Market size by value 2011-2020 - product analysis (alarms, smoke detectors), market trends, growth prospects to 2020.
- Factors influencing market growth - non-domestic construction, regulations, reliance on the replacement sector, market maturity, levels of imports.
- Household ownership levels - there has been a steady increase in the ownership of mains operated alarms in domestic dwellings in recent years. Home ownership levels of fire alarms remains low.
- Key product trends and developments.
Fire Suppression Equipment
- Market size by value 2011-2020 - product analysis (sprinkler systems, extinguishers), market trends, growth prospects to 2020, levels of imports.
- Factors influencing market growth - construction and RMI expenditure, regulations increasing demand in residential sector in the long term, growth forecast in the industrial and commercial sectors in the short to medium term.
- Home ownership levels of fire suppression systems such as extinguishers, blankets and sprinkler systems remain low, although regulations should drive long term growth in large apartment buildings and upmarket developments.
- Key product trends and developments.
Distribution and Supply
- Review of major suppliers in all product sectors - major groups, leading companies, specialist suppliers. Company overview, key products, sectors and financial information.
- Review of distribution structure illustrating direct supply and key channels including major companies operating in each channel, e.g. electrical wholesalers, specialist distributors, DIY outlets.
- Company overview and financials for key distributors including products and brands offered.
- Review of key contractors operating in the active fire protection sector - summary of activities and financial information. Also covered are M&E contractors and major FM companies managing active fire protection equipment.
The active fire protection sector is relatively mature, which in the absence of any significant changes to Building Regulations and Standards in recent years, has been primarily driven by the wider performance of the UK building and construction market. A downturn in construction output in 2012 influenced the market around that time, although growth returned from 2013, which is likely to continue over the medium term, albeit with lower growth rates compared to the strong growth observed in 2013 and 2014. In 2015, it is estimated that the market for active fire protection equipment grew by around 9%. The active fire protection market is comprised of detection / alarms and suppression systems. Alarms and detection systems account for just over 60%, with the majority of installations of products and systems going into the commercial, industrial and public sectors, while domestic smoke alarms account for a small share of the total market value.
Businesses are recognising the benefits of integration of fire and security systems, which is likely to remain a key feature of the industry. The increasing adoption of IP technology into fire protection products has facilitated this trend, with IP functionality now standard in many fire control panels, along with many smoke detectors having wireless capability. The active fire protection market continues to experience price competition, with end users now focused on the lifetime cost of fire and security systems. Technology prices remain competitive and suppliers are offering a wider range of services including maintenance and serving contracts to improve revenues. Innovations have improved product quality, such as improved capability of sensor technology in smoke detectors that can detect quicker, with greater reliability and a lower likelihood of false alarms. Better wireless capability will lead to further growth in the use of wireless smoke detectors. More intelligent fire protection systems are being developed, that go beyond simply notifying the need to evacuate buildings, to ones that can guide people to the most appropriate exits of a building.
Within the active fire protection market, there are a small number of vertically integrated manufacturers-installers with broad industry interests, and which operate a number of subsidiaries across several product and end-use sectors. Though organic growth has played a part, in recent years this expansion has largely been achieved through a series of mergers and acquisitions. In terms of distribution, evidence suggests that the use of fire specialist contractors has grown at the expense of electrical contractors and to some extent electrical distributors and wholesalers. The domestic market for active fire protection is small, suggesting that the DIY outlets account for a relatively small share of the market.
While the above trends will play a part in demand for active fire protection products, the most important market driver will continue to be the overall health of the construction market, particularly non-residential construction. Prospects for key end use sectors appear positive over the next few years and value growth for the overall active fire protection sector is estimated at 4-6% per annum from 2016 to 2020. Construction output is forecast to grow strongly in end use sectors that are key drivers of demand for active fire protection products, such as offices, industrial and technology, which should be beneficial to all aspects of active fire protection. The expected strength of the industrial and technology sectors may also generate particular demand for inert and synthetic gaseous suppression systems. Although the domestic sector is not a major source of demand, the growth in building flats and accommodation for older people (often in sizeable developments) will provide additional demand, particularly for sprinkler-based systems.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS 17
- 4.1 MARKET BACKGROUND AND DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 17
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 18
- 4.3.1 Non-Domestic Construction Market 19
- 4.3.2 House Building Completions 20
- 4.3.3 Mix of House Building Completions 20
- 4.3.4 House Moving Levels 22
- 4.4 FIRE SAFETY AND FIRE REGULATIONS 23
- 4.4.1 Fire Safety 23
- 4.4.2 Building Regulations 23
- 5. ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCT MIX 26
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 26
- 5.2 FIRE DETECTION / ALARM SYSTEMS 27
- 5.2.1 False Alarms 29
- 5.3 FIRE SUPPRESSION EQUIPMENT 29
- 5.4 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP LEVELS OF FIRE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT 31
- 5.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 32
- 6. SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION 34
- 6.1 MAJOR GROUPS 34
- 6.2 FIRE PROTECTION COMPANIES 35
- 6.3 DISTRIBUTION 37
- 6.3.1 Channels of Distribution Overview 37
- 6.3.2 Electrical Wholesalers 39
- 6.3.3 Specialist Distributors 40
- 6.3.4 DIY 41
- 6.3.5 M&E Contractors 41
- 6.3.6 FM Providers 42
- 6.4 CONTRACTORS 44
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 (£M AT MANUFACTURERS' SALES PRICES) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 14
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 6 UK ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS MARKET BY VALUE 2011-2020 £M MSP 18
- CHART 7 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2011 -2020 19
- CHART 8 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2010 TO 2020 - GREAT BRITAIN ('000) 20
- TABLE 9 GB HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS 2011-2020 ('000 DWELLINGS) 21
- CHART 10 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 2004/5-2019/20 22
- TABLE 11 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2010 TO 2020 ('000) 23
- CHART 12 UK FIRE PROTECTION MARKET PRODUCT MIX (DETECTION /ALARMS, EXTINGUISHERS / SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS) - VALUE £M MSP - 2015 26
- CHART 13 UK MARKET FOR FIRE ALARMS AND DETECTORS 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 28
- CHART 14 UK MARKET FOR FIRE SUPPRESSION EQUIPMENT 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 31
- TABLE 15 FIRE SAFETY MEASURES IN THE HOME 2013/14 32
- TABLE 16 IMPORTS & EXPORTS OF FIRE & BURGLAR ALARMS - 2012-2015 (£M MSP) 33
- TABLE 17 IMPORTS & EXPORTS OF FIRE EXTINGUISHERS 2012-2015 (£M MSP) 33
- CHART 18 SECURITY & FIRE DETECTION SYSTEMS MARKET SUPPLY STRUCTURE 38
The 'Active Fire Protection Market Report- UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.