Active Fire Protection Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 15/06/2018 / Number of Pages: 61 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 2nd Edition of the 'Active Fire Protection Market Report - UK 2018-2022' incorporates original input and primary research, the report contains analysis of the key active fire protection products (detection and suppression), recent market trends and future trends, along with supplier and distribution analysis.
Key content covered:
- Overall Market for Active Fire Protection - size, recent trends and key influences, forecasts and development to 2022.
- Analysis by Market Sector - review of Fire Alarms, Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Sprinklers etc. - market size, overall product mix within each sector, trends and influences.
- Market Structure - review of market structure, major groups, company profiles, anticipated future developments.
- Key End Use Sectors - analysis of key end use sectors, construction trends, developments and opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market development in 2013-18 - driven by wider construction and refurbishment activity (e.g. offices, education, leisure, residential etc.).
- Industry developments including the Hackitt Review, technological developments, integration of fire and security systems.Increased emphasis on providing a full product and service package, including equipment, servicing and maintenance.
- Supply and distribution - market structure, supply channels and key players in each channel.
- Market prospects to 2022 - including a review of key market drivers and influences.
Some of the companies included:
ADI Global Distribution, Advanced Electronics Limited, Aico, Angus Fire, Apollo Fire Detectors, B & Q, BBC Fire Protection, City Electrical Factors, C-TEC, Eaton Electrical Systems, Edmundson Electrical, FFE Ltd, Fike Safety Technology Ltd, Fire Alarm Fabrication Services Limited, Firetrace International, GDF Suez Group, Gent, Haes Systems, Hall & Kay Fire Engineering, Hall Fire Protection Limited, Halma PLC, HF Group, Hochiki Europe, Honeywell Inc, Interserve, Kentec Electronics, Kidde Fire Protection, Marlowe Holdings Ltd, McGill & Co, Mitie, MJ Quinn Integrated Services, Nittan Europe, Norbain Holdings, Notifier by Honeywell, Nu-Swift International, Protec Fire Detection Plc, Rexel Group, Screwfix, Serco, Siemens Building Technologies, Sodexo, SPIE Ltd, Sprue Aegis PLC, System Sensor Europe, Thameside Fire Protection Limited, Triangle Fire Systems, Trinity Fire and Security Systems, Tyco Fire and Integrated Solutions, Tyco, United Technologies Corporation, Vipond Fire Protection, Wessex Group, Wickes, Xtralis, YESSS, etc.
- UK active fire protection market, market definition, overview of market size by value, recent and current situation 2013-2017 with estimates for 2018, recent market performance, factors underpinning demand and value growth.
- International trade 2012-2017 - level of imports and exports, origin and key export destinations.
- Key market influences - including levels of construction, housing market, key commercial sector markets, economic developments and legislation.
- Market prospects - market size, key growth areas, market developments and forecast trends up to 2022.
- Market mix by product - alarms/detection; extinguishers/suppression systems - mix and sector trends 2017, factors influencing each sector.
- Market size for alarms and detection equipment 2013-2022 - key product trends and sector development.
- UK market for fire suppression equipment 2013-2022 - key product sectors and sector development.
- Key factors driving growth and change - technological developments, product trends, service offering, price competition, legislation.
- Analysis by end-use sector - construction output for the key end use sectors for 2017 and 2020.High-rise buildings - market size and trends, regions, legislation, Hackitt Review, end use sectors.
- Commercial offices - construction output 2017-2020, development trends, key contractors.
- Data centres - construction output 2017-2020, type of construction activity, major projects, prospects.
- Education - construction output 2017-2020, recent activity and trends.
- Residential - household ownership of smoke alarms, housing completions by type of ownership, social housing, completions of flats vs houses.
Supply And Distribution
- Market structure - UK supply base, major groups operating in the fire and security sector, fire protection companies.
- Major groups and suppliers - including turnover size, development and market activity.
- Major distribution channels- supply chain analysis and routes to market, e.g. electrical wholesalers, specialist distributors, contractors etc.
- Review of key distributors - major players in each channel.
The sector is mature, which in the absence of any significant changes to Building Regulations and Standards in recent years, has been primarily driven by the wider performance of the UK building and construction market. That said, publicity and interest surrounding the fire protection industry has increased following the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
Increasingly, businesses are recognising the benefits of integration of fire and security systems, which is likely to remain a key feature of the industry. The increasing adoption of IP technology into fire protection products has facilitated this trend, with IP functionality now standard in many fire control panels, along with many smoke detectors having wireless capability. Integration has also enabled an increased use of video fire detection, where CCTV images are analysed by mathematical algorithms to detect smoke or flames.
The active fire protection market is comprised of detection / alarms and suppression systems. Alarms and detection systems account for more than half of the market, with the majority of installations of products and systems going into the non-domestic sectors. Domestic smoke alarms only account for a small portion of total market value.
Innovations have improved product quality, with a key driver being the industry's desire to continue reducing the likelihood and number of false alarms. The majority of innovation has been in detection technology rather than suppression. Developments include the improved capability of sensor technology in smoke detectors that can detect quicker, with greater reliability and with a greater degree of differentiation between different types of smoke and airborne vapours.
In terms of distribution, evidence suggests that the use of fire specialist contractors has grown at the expense of electrical contractors and to some extent electrical distributors and wholesalers. The domestic market for active fire protection remains small, suggesting that the DIY outlets account for a relatively small share of the overall market.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS 18
- 4.1 MARKET BACKGROUND AND DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 2013-2022 18
- 4.2.1 Market Size and Development 18
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 20
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 20
- 4.3.1 Non-Domestic Construction Market 20
- 4.3.2 House Building Completions 22
- 4.4 FIRE SAFETY AND FIRE REGULATIONS 23
- 4.4.1 Fire Safety 23
- 4.4.2 Building Regulations 25
- 5. ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCT MIX 27
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 27
- 5.2 FIRE DETECTION / ALARM SYSTEMS 28
- 5.2.1 False Alarms 31
- 5.3 FIRE SUPPRESSION EQUIPMENT 32
- 5.4 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP LEVELS OF FIRE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT 34
- 5.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 34
- 6. SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION 36
- 6.1 MAJOR GROUPS 36
- 6.2 FIRE PROTECTION COMPANIES 38
- 6.3 DISTRIBUTION 39
- 6.3.1 Channels of Distribution Overview 39
- 6.3.2 Electrical Wholesalers 41
- 6.3.3 Specialist Distributors 42
- 6.3.4 DIY 43
- 6.3.5 M&E Contractors 43
- 6.3.6 FM Providers 44
- 6.4 CONTRACTORS 46
- 7. KEY END USE SECTORS 48
- 7.1 Overall Non-Residential Construction 48
- 7.2 HIGH RISE BUILDINGS 49
- 7.2.1 Market Size and Trends 49
- 7.2.2 UK Regions and London 50
- 7.2.3 Key End-Use Sectors 51
- 7.3 COMMERCIAL OFFICES 52
- 7.4 DATACENTRES 53
- 7.5 EDUCATION 56
- 7.6 RESIDENTIAL 58
- 7.6.1 Mix of House Building Completions 58
- 7.6.2 Social Housing 60
- 7.6.3 Conversions 61
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION MARKET AND FORECASTS 2013-2022 (£M AT MANUFACTURERS' SALES PRICES) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: UK ACTIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS MARKET BY VALUE 2013-2022 £M MSP 19
- CHART 7: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013 -2022 21
- CHART 8: HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2013 TO 2022 - UK 22
- CHART 9: UK FIRE PROTECTION MARKET PRODUCT MIX (DETECTION /ALARMS, EXTINGUISHERS / SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS) - VALUE £M MSP - 2017 27
- CHART 10: UK MARKET FOR FIRE ALARMS AND DETECTORS 2013-2022 (£M MSP) 29
- CHART 11: UK MARKET FOR FIRE SUPPRESSION EQUIPMENT 2013-2022 (£M MSP) 33
- CHART 12: HOUSEHOLDS WITH AT LEAST ONE WORKING SMOKE ALARM, ALL TENURES, ENGLAND 2006/07-2016/17 (%) 34
- TABLE 13: IMPORTS & EXPORTS OF FIRE & BURGLAR ALARMS - 2012-2017 (£M MSP) 35
- TABLE 14: IMPORTS & EXPORTS OF FIRE EXTINGUISHERS 2012-2017 (£M MSP) 35
- CHART 15: ACTIVE FIRE DETECTION SYSTEMS MARKET SUPPLY STRUCTURE 40
- CHART 16: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2017 AND 2020 - % BY VALUE GB 48
- TABLE 17: UK HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS MARKET: COMPLETED AND PIPELINE BUILDINGS (BY SECTOR AND REGION) 49
- CHART 18: CONTRACTORS' OUTPUT IN THE OFFICES SECTOR 2017-2020 BY VALUE (£M) 52
- CHART 19: UK MARKET FOR DATA CENTRE CONSTRUCTION 2013 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£BN) 54
- TABLE 20: RECENT PROJECT ANNOUNCEMENTS - COMMERCIAL SECTOR 55
- CHART 21: MARKET MIX BY TYPE OF WORK UNDERTAKEN (NEW BUILD, RMI, REFURBISHMENT) - % BY VALUE 2017 55
- CHART 22: EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT AND GROWTH FORECASTS 2017 TO 2020 (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 58
- TABLE 23: GB HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS 2013-2022 (VOLUME) 59
- CHART 24: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 2010-2022 60
- CHART 25: ENGLAND & SCOTLAND HOUSING CONVERSIONS BY NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS 2011/12 - 2016/17 61
The 'Active Fire Protection Market Report- UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.