Domestic Bedroom Furniture Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 09/08/2016 / Number of Pages: 70 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 13th edition of the 'Domestic Bedroom Furniture Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis', assesses the market for bedroom furniture, which has followed an interesting path in recent years, experiencing a period of volatility, which has included reasonable growth in 2014 followed by more modest performance in 2015. The report examines the various aspects driving change in the industry and assesses the likely future prospects for the sector through to 2020.
Key content covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of major developments and current future trends.
- Impact of the EU referendum - on consumer confidence and likely effect on the market through to 2020.
- Review of key material and sector trends.
- Review of the supply and distribution structure - assessment of impact of import levels on UK firms.
- Forecasts - for market developments up to 2020.
Recent trends include:
- Market performance of bedroom furniture sectors, including underlying growth factors, trends and future prospects.
- The changing role of the bedroom as smaller homes put pressure to use space efficiently.
- Growing need for multi-purpose furniture and good design.
- Development of niche sectors such as children's bedroom furniture and sliding wardrobe door systems, together with an increase in demand for multi-functional bedroom furniture.
- A high level of imports particularly from the Far East, which has put pressure on UK manufacturers, but given the erosion of the Pound Sterling this may offer opportunities for UK manufacturers to be more competitive both in the UK and overseas.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic bedroom furniture market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Andrena Furniture, Bebecar (UK), Canburg, Charles Barr Furniture, Chartley Furniture Design, Corndell Furniture Co, Crown Products (Kent), Daval Furniture, Dean House, Ercol Furniture, Flexa Furniture, Gautier, H. Morris & Co, Hammonds Furniture, Home Decor, Hülsta Furniture (UK), Kingstown Holdings, Nathan, Neville Johnson, Paragon Furniture, Sharps Bedrooms, Spacemaker Bedrooms, Starplan Furniture, Stompa UK, Strachan Furniture Makers, The Symphony Group, Thuka Furniture, Whiteleaf Furniture, Willis Gambier (UK), Woodberry Bros and Haines, Wren Living.
The Bedroom Furniture Market
- UK domestic bedroom furniture market - market definition, size and current situation 2011-2015, recent market performance, factors underpinning demand and restricting growth.
- Key market influences - including levels of construction, housing market, economic trends, impact of EU referendum, short to medium-term prospects and so on.
- Future prospects - market size and forecast trends up to 2020. Also building and construction market performance forecasts through to 2020.
- Growth in imports and change in level of exports to 2015, supply mix and countries of origin of imports.
- Trends in terms of fitted and freestanding furniture, home office, recreational and multi-purpose furniture.
- Overall UK furniture market size, key drivers and recent trends. Share taken by bedroom furniture, importance of bedroom furniture within the overall furniture industry.
Product Mix and Material Trends
- Bedroom furniture by type - fitted or freestanding, product mix and recent trends.
- Market size of sliding wardrobe door systems.
- Key factors driving growth and change in the industry - pressure on space, demands from children/youngsters to young adults staying at home, increased private rental market, technology impacts, etc.
- Product mix, flat pack and rigid - market share, trends, driving factors etc.
- Growth sectors, i.e fitted furniture, storage, children and teenagers' bedroom furniture - shares, recent trends, future prospects, young adults staying at home, market drivers etc.
- Style and design trends - growth in niche sectors, mix between contemporary and traditional styles.
- Materials and finishes - share by materials and trends.
Distribution & Suppliers
- Changes in market structure - consolidation in supply structure, growth of imports etc. Increased importance of Internet as a distribution and information channel.
- Major furniture manufacturers and suppliers by turnover size and market share - recent changes, market positioning etc.
- Major distribution channels, and share by type of outlet - Furniture Multiples, Independents, Mail Order/Catalogue, Specialists, Internet, Department Stores / Variety Stores / DIY etc.
- Key companies, by type of outlet - major players.
- Key growth areas - prospects for 2016 and up to 2020.
- Important developments in the major product and market sectors.
- Review of key economic factors impacting the market.
Bedroom furniture is estimated to account for approximately 12% of the overall UK domestic furniture market. Following strong growth in the bedroom furniture market during 2014, the market grew by a modest 2% during 2015, with similar rate of growth forecast for 2016/17. Factors supporting market growth have included an improvement in the housing market, higher consumer confidence levels and a surge in imports in 2014, with China, Vietnam and Poland responsible for much of this increase. The rapid penetration of low cost imports from the Far East and Eastern Europe has driven down prices and margins in most sectors of the furniture market, and the import penetration level is at its highest in the bedroom sector.
Retail specialists now account for the bulk of the market, followed by furniture multiples and department stores and variety chains. In the retail sector there has been increased competition from a number of high profile players, together with threats from newcomers, such as Tesco and Asda. These outlets, particularly those that operate a 'click and collect' model, will continue to provide strong competition to the established furniture retailers. Growing competition in a sluggish market is also reflected in the increasing number of liquidations in the sector, both at manufacturer and retail level. Many of the UK fitted furniture suppliers are vertically integrated companies, involved in the design, manufacture and installation of their own furniture, often marketed through their own retail outlets or via concessions in other stores.
A number of underlying factors are influencing sales of domestic bedroom furniture, including a greater number of smaller households, a continuing demand for new housing, with demand still outstripping supply, and a new generation of children and teenagers, who require more than just a bed and a cupboard, but a more complex arrangement of storage solutions to cope with their increasingly technological environment, incorporating laptops, televisions, DVD recorders, Xboxes etc. Other factors have had a negative impact on sales of bedroom furniture, for example, the increase in home working can place pressure on living space (and very often bedroom living space) within the dwelling. Fitted furniture has increased its share of the bedroom furniture market and currently accounts for around 28%. Sliding wardrobe systems have also grown in recent years, reflecting the consumer preference for cleaner lines and contemporary styles and the practical nature of these products is attractive in this context.
In general, short term prospects for the next 5 years are likely to remain mixed for the overall furniture industry, with forecasts showing modest, but some volume growth. The bedroom furniture market is also forecast to show some growth in the next few years, albeit at a slower rate than the overall furniture industry and is estimated at around 2-3% per annum. Most of the future growth within the bedroom furniture sector is expected to come from the fitted furniture sector, supported by heavy promotional expenditure and the lower end of the market, driven by companies, such as IKEA, Argos and Tesco, with their ranges of affordable and innovative products, together with their wide distribution networks. In addition, the shift to the Private Rented sector will also be a factor influencing the nature of the buying population for bedroom furniture. The rental market continues to grow and this seems likely to increase the proportion of the buying population focused on lower cost products, particularly short to medium term tenants. The market remains highly competitive and smaller independent retailers will continue to feel both economic pressures and the threat from national retailers, although even the larger companies may suffer from lower profits or even losses, sometimes despite an increase in turnover.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 12
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 15
- 3.1 GDP 15
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 17
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 18
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 18
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 19
- 3.6 STERLING 20
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 21
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 21
- 4. OVERALL UK FURNITURE MARKET & HOUSING INFLUENCES 23
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 23
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS 25
- 4.3 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS 26
- 4.3.1 New Housebuilding 26
- 4.3.2 House Moving 29
- 4.3.3 Household Size 29
- 4.3.4 Private Rental Market 30
- 5. THE UK BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 33
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITION 33
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND CURRENT SITUATION 33
- 5.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 35
- 5.4 OVERALL MARKET TRENDS 37
- 5.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 40
- 6. PRODUCT MIX 43
- 6.1 PRODUCT DEFINITION 43
- 6.2 FITTED, FREESTANDING AND WARDROBE SYSTEMS BEDROOM FURNITURE 43
- 6.2.1 Product Mix 43
- 6.3 TYPE OF BEDROOM FURNITURE - FLAT PACK AND RIGID 46
- 6.3.1 Product Mix 46
- 6.4 PRODUCT DESIGN 47
- 6.4.1 Design Trends 47
- 6.4.2 Storage Solutions 49
- 6.4.3 Bedroom Furniture - Children, Teenagers and Young Adults 50
- 6.4.4 Sliding Wardrobe Door Systems 52
- 6.5 MATERIALS AND FINISHES 53
- 6.5.1 Wood 54
- 6.5.2 Other Materials and Finishes 54
- 7. BEDROOM FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 56
- 7.1 MARKET SHARE 56
- 7.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 57
- 7.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 60
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 63
- 8.1 STRUCTURE 63
- 8.2 RETAIL SPECIALISTS 64
- 8.3 FURNITURE MULTIPLES 64
- 8.4 MAIL ORDER AND CATALOGUE RETAILERS 66
- 8.5 FURNITURE INDEPENDENTS 67
- 8.6 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY CHAINS 67
- 8.6.1 Department Stores 67
- 8.6.2 Variety Chains 68
- 8.7 DIY AND HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 69
- 8.8 OTHERS 69
- 8.8.1 The Internet Specialists 69
- 8.8.2 Grocery Multiples 70
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 UK DOMESTIC BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2011-2020 - £M MSP 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 16
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 17
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 19
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 20
- TABLE 6 THE UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2010-2016 (£M MSP) 23
- CHART 7 UK MARKET MIX OF FURNITURE 2002, 2008 & 2015 24
- TABLE 8 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 26
- CHART 9 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2005-2020 28
- TABLE 10 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2011-2020 29
- TABLE 11 AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016 30
- CHART 12 GROWTH OF THE PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR 2014-2025 (NO. DWELLINGS) (M) 31
- CHART 13 UK DOMESTIC BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2011-2020 - £M MSP 33
- TABLE 14 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF WOODEN BEDROOM FURNITURE 2010-2015 BY VALUE (£M) 40
- CHART 15 % SUPPLY MIX IN THE UK BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2000, 2008 AND 2015 41
- TABLE 16 COUNTRIES OF ORIGIN FOR IMPORTS OF WOODEN BEDROOM FURNITURE 2011-2015 MARKET SHARE BY VALUE (£M) 42
- CHART 17 MIX OF FITTED, FREESTANDING AND WARDROBE SYSTEMS BEDROOM FURNITURE - 2015 BY VALUE 44
- TABLE 18 FITTED AND NON-FITTED KITCHEN, BEDROOM AND BATHROOM FURNITURE MARKET SHARE BY VALUE 2015 45
- CHART 19 THE UK BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET - VALUE MIX OF RIGID/FLAT PACK 2001-2015 46
- CHART 20 MIX OF CONTEMPORARY/TRADITIONAL STYLES OF BEDROOM FURNITURE 2015 49
- CHART 21 MIX OF CHILDREN'S & TEENAGE/ADULT BEDROOM FURNITURE 2015 51
- TABLE 22 MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR BEDROOM FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 2015 - BY VALUE AT MSP 56
- TABLE 23 DISTRIBUTION OF BEDROOM FURNITURE BY CHANNEL - 2015 BY VALUE SHARE 63
The 'Domestic Bedroom Furniture Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.