Domestic Bedroom Furniture Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 27/09/2018 / Number of Pages: 54 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 14th edition of the 'Domestic Bedroom Furniture Market Report - UK 2018-2022' examines the various factors driving change in the industry and assesses the prospects for the sector through to 2022, covering issues such as market size, key influencing factors, product mix for domestic bedroom furniture, fitted versus non-fitted, changing social, demographic and economic trends likely to influence the market.
Key content covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - market size, analysis of major developments, key trends and influences.
- Product mix and performance of the different sectors, including underlying growth factors, trends and prospects.
- Analysis of key material and sector trends.
- Review of supply and distribution - assessment of impact of import levels on UK firms.
- Forecasts for market developments up to 2022.
Areas of particular interest:
- Impact of the EU referendum on consumer confidence and likely effect on the market through to 2022.
- The changing role of the bedroom, as smaller homes put pressure to use space efficiently.
- Popularity of multi-purpose furniture in bedrooms - blurring the definition of traditional bedroom furniture.
- Development of specialist sectors, such as children's bedroom furniture and sliding wardrobe door systems, wardrobe storage systems etc.
- A high level of imports, including both cheaper products from the Far East and eastern Europe and higher value products from the EU, which has put pressure on UK manufacturers.
- Continued growth from major fitted furniture suppliers.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic bedroom furniture market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Andrena Furniture, Canburg, Chartley Furniture Design, Charles Barr Furniture, Crown Products (Kent), Daval Furniture, Ercol Furniture, Flexa Furniture, Gautier, Hammonds Furniture, Home Décor GB, Hülsta Furniture (UK), Kingstown Holdings, Neville Johnson, Nordika Design T/A Stompa UK, Paragon Interior Furniture, Sharps Bedrooms, Starplan Furniture, Spacemaker Bedrooms, Strachan Furniture Makers, The Symphony Group, We Fit Any Furniture, Whiteleaf Furniture, Willis Gambier (UK).
The Bedroom Furniture Market
- UK domestic bedroom furniture market - market definition, size and current situation 2013-2017, recent market performance, factors underpinning demand and restricting growth.
- Key market influences - including levels of construction, housing market, economic trends, impact of EU referendum, short to medium-term prospects.
- Market prospects - market size and forecast trends up to 2022. Also, the wider building and construction market performance forecasts through to 2022.
- Key growth areas, Important developments in the major product and market sectors - analysis to 2017 and prospects up to 2022.
- Growth in imports and change in level of exports to 2017, supply mix and countries of origin of imports.
- Overall UK furniture market size, key drivers and recent trends. Share taken by bedroom furniture, importance of bedroom furniture within the overall furniture industry.
Product Mix and Trends
- Bedroom furniture by type - fitted or freestanding, product mix and recent trends.
- Market size of sliding wardrobe door systems.
- Key factors driving growth and change in the industry - pressure on space, varying requirements of young children and young adults living in the parental home longer, increased private rental market, technology impacts, etc.
- Product mix, fitted and freestanding, flat pack and rigid - market share, trends, driving factors etc.
- Product trends - fitted furniture, storage, children and teenagers' bedroom furniture - shares, recent trends, prospects, young adults staying at home, market drivers etc.
- Style and design trends - growth in niche sectors, mix between contemporary and traditional styles.
- Materials and finishes - share by materials and trends.
Supply and Distribution
- Changes in market structure - consolidation in supply structure, growth of imports etc. Increased importance of Internet as a distribution and information channel.
- Major furniture manufacturers and suppliers by turnover size and market share - recent changes, market positioning, distribution etc.
- Major distribution channels, and share by type of outlet - Furniture Multiples, Independents, Mail Order/Catalogue, Specialists, Internet, Department Stores / Variety Stores / DIY etc.
- Key companies, by type of outlet - overview of major players.
Following substantial growth in the early 2000's, the bedroom furniture market became more difficult as the decade progressed with little growth until 2014 when the market increased by 5%. Since then, bedroom furniture has grown at a slower rate than the overall domestic furniture market, at around 1-2% per year.
Growth in the bedroom furniture market has been supported by increased sales of fitted furniture, particularly within the sliding wardrobe doors sector. Storage is another growth sector, since space within the average UK home remains limited, particularly in the bedroom. This lack of space has resulted in the growing popularity of sliding wardrobe door systems. Modular furniture continues to be popular and the trend towards smaller houses and households is likely to sustain this trend, as demand for clever storage solutions continues to grow.
The rapid penetration of low cost imports from the Far East and Eastern Europe within the furniture sector has driven down prices and margins in most sectors of the market, but the penetration is at its highest in the bedroom sector. The bulk of imports consist of unbranded freestanding furniture, while the majority of fitted furniture is manufactured in the UK. China is the major source for bedroom furniture imports.
Bedroom furniture remains a mature market, although future demand will be driven by a steadily increasing number of households and greater pressures on space utilisation and flexibility. Market conditions are likely to remain competitive in 2018, and although this should improve, it is unlikely that there will be high levels of value growth, as imports continue to drive down prices and margins. Further innovation in design trends and storage facilities may provide some opportunities for differentiation and margin protection for UK manufacturers, although these are likely to remain in niche markets.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 17
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 17
- 4.2 UK BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 18
- 4.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 19
- 4.4 MARKET INFLUENCES 21
- 4.4.1 The Housing Market 21
- 4.4.2 'Improve Not Move' 23
- 4.4.3 Home Ownership Trends 23
- 4.4.4 The Changing Role of the Bedroom 25
- 4.4.5 Price Competition 25
- 4.4.6 Other Influences 26
- 4.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 26
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 29
- 5.1 PRODUCT DEFINITION 29
- 5.2 FITTED AND FREESTANDING BEDROOM FURNITURE 30
- 5.2.1 Product Mix 30
- 5.3 TYPE OF BEDROOM FURNITURE: FLAT PACK AND RIGID 31
- 5.3.1 Product Mix 31
- 5.4 PRODUCT DESIGN 32
- 5.4.1 Design Trends 32
- 5.4.2 Storage Solutions 34
- 5.4.3 Children's and Teenagers' Bedroom Furniture 35
- 5.4.4 Sliding Wardrobe Door Systems 36
- 5.5 MATERIALS AND FINISHES 37
- 6. BEDROOM FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 39
- 6.1 MARKET SHARE 39
- 6.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 40
- 6.2.1 Fitted Bedroom Furniture 40
- 6.2.2 Freestanding Bedroom Furniture 42
- 6.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS 43
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 45
- 7.1 STRUCTURE 45
- 7.2 RETAIL SPECIALISTS 46
- 7.3 FURNITURE MULTIPLES 46
- 7.4 INTERNET, MAIL ORDER AND CATALOGUE RETAILERS 48
- 7.5 FURNITURE INDEPENDENTS 49
- 7.6 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY CHAINS 50
- 7.6.1 Department Stores 50
- 7.6.2 Variety Chains 51
- 7.7 DIY MULTIPLES 52
- 7.8 OTHERS 54
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK DOMESTIC BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2013-2022 - £M MSP 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: THE UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2013-2022 (£M MSP) 17
- CHART 7: UK MARKET MIX OF ALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE - VALUE (%) 2002, 2010 AND 2017 18
- TABLE 8: UK DOMESTIC BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2013-2017 - £M MSP 19
- TABLE 9: UK DOMESTIC BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2018-2022 - £M MSP 20
- CHART 10: HOUSING COMPLETIONS BY REGION (ENGLAND, WALES AND SCOTLAND) 2013 - 2022 BY VOLUME OF DWELLINGS 21
- TABLE 11: NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK 2013-17 (000'S) 22
- TABLE 12: COMPOSITION OF OWNER-OCCUPIER HOUSEHOLDS IN ENGLAND BY TYPE (000 HOUSEHOLDS AND %), 2016-2017 24
- TABLE 13: IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF WOODEN BEDROOM FURNITURE 2013-2017 BY VALUE (£M) 26
- CHART 14: SUPPLY MIX IN THE UK BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET 2000, 2008 AND 2018 27
- TABLE 15: COUNTRIES OF ORIGIN FOR IMPORTS OF WOODEN BEDROOM FURNITURE 2013-2017 MARKET SHARE BY VALUE (£M) 27
- CHART 16: MIX OF FITTED & FREESTANDING BEDROOM FURNITURE - 2017 BY VALUE 30
- TABLE 17: FITTED AND NON-FITTED KITCHEN, BEDROOM AND BATHROOM FURNITURE MARKET SHARE BY VALUE 2017 31
- CHART 18: THE UK BEDROOM FURNITURE MARKET - VALUE MIX OF RIGID/FLAT PACK 2001-2017 32
- CHART 19: MIX OF CONTEMPORARY/TRADITIONAL STYLES OF BEDROOM FURNITURE 2017 34
- CHART 20: MIX OF NURSERY, CHILDREN'S & TEENAGE/ADULT BEDROOM FURNITURE 2017 35
- CHART 21: VAT REGISTERED MANUFACTURERS OF 'OTHER' FURNITURE BY TURNOVER GROUP - 2017 39
- TABLE 22: MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR BEDROOM FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 2017 - BY VALUE AT MSP 40
- TABLE 23: DISTRIBUTION OF BEDROOM FURNITURE - 2017 BY VALUE SHARE 45
- CHART 24: SPECIALIST RETAIL OF FURNITURE, LIGHTING AND HOUSEHOLD EQUIPMENT - COMPANIES BY TURNOVER BAND 2013-2017 50
The 'Domestic Bedroom Furniture Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.