Bi-fold Doors Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 09/09/2016 / Number of Pages: 51 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 1st edition of the 'Bi-fold Doors Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' report reviews this fast growing sector and its prospects for the next 4 years. The bi-fold doors market is relatively new and expanding, with growth particularly strong in the residential sector in recent years. This new and unique report reviews recent trends in the market, assessing market size and frame material usage and provides forecasts of market developments over the next 4-5 years.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market size, recent trends and forecasts to 2020.
- Sector reviews - entrance doors, patio doors and internal doors.
- Analysis by frame material - timber, aluminium, PVCu and composites.
- Key end use sectors - private new build, social housing new build, private sector home improvement and social housing replacement.
- Supply and distribution - structure in the bi-fold door industry, including aluminium and PVCu systems companies, door and window fabricators, joinery companies, bi-fold door specialists and retail glazing companies.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market size & trends - market developments 2011-2016 by volume and value.
- Residential / Non-Residential sectors - sector shares, changes in recent years - replacements home extensions, restaurants/leisure facilities, car showroomsetc.
- Frame materials - mix by material - aluminium, timber, PVCu, others (alu-clad etc.)
- Competitive supply structure - fragmented supply structure - many window and door companies now offer bi-fold doors, but also specialists, joinery companies etc.
- Forecasts for 2016-2020 - key market drivers, impact of Brexit etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the bi-fold doors market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
3D Aluminium Plas, Aluk GB, Aluplast, Anglian Windows, Arden Windows, Bereco, Broxwood (Scotland), Boyland Joinery, B&Q, Camden Group, Capital Window Manufacturing, CRLaurence, C R Smith, Customade, David Salisbury Commercial, Dempsey Dyer, Deceuninck, Direct Doors, Doors Galore, Doors Online, Doorsworld, Duration Windows, ENTU Plc, Epwin Group, Eurocell Profiles, Euramax Solutions, Everest, Gallant Doors, Homebase, Howarth Timber Group, Internorm, JB Kind, Jeld-Wen UK, John A Russell (Joinery), Kawneer UK, Kloeber UK, Liniar, Lomax & Wood, Magnet, LPD Doors, Masco UK Window Group, Nationwide Windows, Norvik New Build, Origin Frames, PWG Trading, Premdor, Rationel Windows, Rehau, Reynaers, Safestyle, Sapa Building Systems, Scotts of Thrapston, Schueco UK, Senior Architectural Systems (SAS), Selecta Systems, Smart Systems, Specialist Building Products, Synseal Extrusions, Sunflex, The Parkside Group (TPGL), The Sash Window Workshop, UPVC Folding Doors, Veka, Vibrant Doors, Wickes, Woodlands Joinery.
The Bi-fold Door Market
- Market background - definition, overlap with other products.
- Market size - recent trends in 2011-2015. Assessment of market trends by volume and value.
- Key market drivers - design and specification trends, growth and changing requirements of home extensions/conservatories, changing consumer tastes, link between home and garden, commercial market developments.
- Housing market - housebuilding trends, RMI spending, home extensions market, house moving levels etc.
- Market forecasts: 2016-2020 - market prospects, key factors influencing market performance, impact of EU Referendum/Brexit vote on market.
- Residential and Non-residential market - mix by sector, changes in 2011-2015, historical development of the market etc.
- Residential market - major growth area in recent years - home extensions, volume of applications granted 2009-2018, changing consumer tastes, replacement demand.
- Non-Residential - more mature but still growing sector, leisure construction output 2011-2020, household spending trends on leisure activities, forecasts.
- Frame materials - share mix by volume - aluminium, timber, PVCu, other (alu-clad etc) - frame choices, changes in usage, key applications for different materials, trends etc.
- Specification issues - aesthetics - colour, sightlines etc., price issues.
Supply and Distribution
- Fragmented and complex supply structure - no dominant suppliers - review of key players in bifold door sector.
- Wide range of industry players - impact of frame material on supply structure, profiles/backgrounds of key players etc.
- Role of suppliers - bifold door specialists, joinery companies, aluminium and PVCu systems companies, door and window fabricators etc.
- Complex routes to market - vertically integrated companies, builders, replacement glazing companies, Builders merchants, DIY, Internet, etc.
- Changes in supply and distribution structure.
The bi-fold doors market is relatively new and expanding with particular growth evident in the residential sector. Rising from a low installed base, bi-fold demand has been increasing sharply over the past 5 years led by the residential market. The experience in 2013-16 has been for a significant increase in the market with growth in new housebuilding completions and particularly the residential home improvement market - either new extensions or replacement. In 2015, the market for bi-fold doors was estimated to have grown by 12%. Demand is driven by a rise in consumer spending on home improvements following the recession together with the growth in private new house building projects that have helped boost demand. Suppliers themselves have contributed to the growth of the market through new developments in frame materials, styles, colours and features.
In the commercial office sector, bi-folds have increased in use as interior doors which offer natural light, but are 'customisable', enabling rooms to be expanded or contracted easily. They are also popular for car showrooms and similar businesses allowing easier movement of vehicles and products. Bi-folds have also been in use for many years in the leisure sector as exterior doors for restaurants and bistros. New materials, competitive pricing and the wide availability of suppliers have helped increase steady demand in this sector. Overall, the trend for maximising natural light has resulted in increased glazing used for entrance and patio doors and internal doors. Home extensions are another key market, where homeowners are extending kitchens/living areas and want a more open link to the outdoors.
The supply structure remains complex and fragmented, but increasingly competitive, as many window and door companies now offer bi-fold doors. A number of companies that originally focused on single materials - eg. aluminium, PVCu or timber - have extended product ranges to include alternative material products in order to widen channel exposure. Bi-fold doors have also benefited from the wider distribution of products in recent years - particularly through retail DIY multiple channels, home improvement companies and online. Competitive pricing features in the market between a large number of suppliers at national, regional and local level. Additionally, frame materials of aluminium, PVCu and timber compete head-to-head.
Current forecasts indicate steady to good growth into the medium-term with the bi-fold doors market growing by around 7% per annum to 2020. Factors likely to have a positive impact on volume and value growth include housebuilding completions, the house moving market, trend for higher value replacements, steady levels of home improvement projects. However, in the more mature commercial sector of the market, suppliers will have to continue to fight for share in a growing competitive market. Similarly, smaller suppliers may find the competitive pricing in retail markets more difficult against the larger national and regional retail replacement window companies. Bi-fold doors are likely to remain a key product sector for retail window and door companies with second/third time replacements likely to impact on the market in future years.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. BI-FOLD DOORS MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.2.1 Market by Volume 20
- 4.3 CURRENT AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 21
- 5. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 24
- 5.1 RESIDENTIAL MARKET 24
- 5.1.1 Housebuilding and RMI 24
- 5.1.2 Householder Developments 25
- 5.1.3 House Moving Market 26
- 5.2 NON-RESIDENTIAL MARKET 27
- 5.2.1 Leisure Sector 28
- 5.2.2 Commercial & Retail Premises 30
- 5.3 LEGISLATION AND STANDARDS 30
- 6. PRODUCT MIX 33
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 33
- 6.2 MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 33
- 6.3 MIX BY END USE APPLICATION 35
- 7. SUPPLIERS 37
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 37
- 7.2 TIMBER DOORS 38
- 7.2.1 Corporate Activity 38
- 7.2.2 Leading Suppliers 38
- 7.3 PVCU DOORS 40
- 7.3.1 Corporate Activity 40
- 7.3.2 Leading Suppliers 41
- 7.4 ALUMINIUM 43
- 7.4.1 Corporate Activity 44
- 7.4.2 Leading Suppliers 44
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 47
- 8.1 OVERVIEW 47
- 8.2 MAIN RESIDENTIAL DOOR DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 47
- 8.2.1 Retail Window Companies 48
- 8.2.2 DIY Multiples 49
- 8.2.3 Specialist Doors Distributors 50
- 8.2.4 Catalogue Stores/Trade Counters/Internet, etc. 51
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK MARKET AND FORECAST FOR BI-FOLD DOORS 2011 - 2020 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BI-FOLD DOORS 2011 - 2020 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 20
- CHART 7 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR BI-FOLD DOORS 2011 TO 2020 BY VOLUME ('000) 21
- TABLE 8 HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 24
- TABLE 9 NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN 2009-2018 26
- TABLE 10 NUMBER OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2009 -2015 - BY VOLUME ('000) AND VALUE (£M) 27
- CHART 11 HOUSEHOLD FINAL CONSUMPTION EXPENDITURE ON HOTEL AND RESTAURANT CATERING SERVICES 2010-2015 CURRENT PRICES (£M) 28
- CHART 12 ENTERTAINMENT AND LEISURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH AND FORECASTS (NEW WORK) 2011 - 2020 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 29
- CHART 13 OFFICES OUTPUT GROWTH AND FORECASTS (NEW WORK) 2011 - 2020 BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 30
- CHART 14 UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL BI-FOLD DOORS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL TYPE (ALUMINIUM, TIMBER, PVCU, ETC) 2016 - % BY VOLUME) 34
- CHART 15 UK MARKET FOR BI-FOLD DOORS MIX BY END USE APPLICATION (RESIDENTIAL AND NON-RESIDENTIAL) 2011-2016 - % BY VALUE 36
The 'Bi-fold Doors Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.