Bricks, Blocks and Precast Concrete Products Market Report – UK 2018-2022
Published: 19/03/2018 / Number of Pages: 81 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 6th edition of the 'Bricks, Blocks and Precast Concrete Products Market Report - UK 2018-2022' incorporates original research and provides a comprehensive review of this changing market, including market sizes across the major product areas featured, product mix, supplier performance and share, supply chain structures and other factors influencing the development of the market.
Key content covered in the report
- Detailed assessment of the market - market sizes, product mixes and product trends.
- Bricks - facing, engineering and common.
- Concrete blocks - dense, lightweight and aerated.
- Precast concrete products - stairs, floors, balconies, crosswall panels, etc.
- Natural and cast stone.
- Review of supply and distribution structure.
- Forecasts of market developments to 2022.
Areas of particular interest
- Recent market trends and impact of housebuilding market, sustainability issues.
- Housebuilding review - 2013-2017 volumes, forecasts up to 2022, housebuilding mix by build method.
- Industry restructuring - review of key players, shares etc.
- Short term prospects 2018-19 and medium-term forecasts to 2022, prospects and market drivers.
- Review of supply and distribution structure for each product group - market mix by distributor types - builders' merchants, brick factors, direct sales etc. Identification of major distributors and key niche players.
- Detailed market data and insight on the bricks, blocks and precast concrete market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included
AF Jones, B&Q, Black Mountain Quarries, Bradfords Building Supplies, Cotswold Natural Stone, Covers, Dimensional Stone Services, EH Smith, Gibbs & Dandy, Grafton, Huws Gray, International Stones (ISUK), JT Dove, Kellaway Building Supplies, L&T Stone Supplies, LBS Builders Merchants, Lords Builders Merchants, Travis Perkins, Saint-Gobain Building Distribution Group, MKM Building Supplies, Myers Building Supplies, Parker Building Supplies, RGB Building Supplies, Ridgeons, Robert Price, Sydenhams, Wickes.
Market for Bricks
- Total market size - sales value and volume, units delivered, production output and area installed 2013-2017.
- Analysis of key factors: impact of Brexit & changing housing markets, housing mix changes, impact of trade balance, NPD etc.
- Review of product mix - facing, engineering, common bricks - product mix 2017, market size & trends by volume for each type 2011 - 2017, assessment of factors specific to each product type. End-use market mix for facing bricks.
- Supply structure - major suppliers, market consolidation, market share estimates, international trade 2013-17.
- Forecasts 2018-2022 - assessment of key market factors.
Concrete Blocks and Precast Structural Products
- Overview of each of concrete blocks and precast concrete products - market sizes - blocks & structural products (concrete flooring, panels, structural frames and columns, foundations, modules/pods etc.).
- Blocks - market size and trends by volume - production, stockholdings & deliveries and by value 2013 - 2017; analysis of key market factors; sustainability issues (use of recycled content, trade balance etc.).
- Review of product mix - lightweight, dense and aerated blocks: sales of each by volume 2013-17, key market factors; application by types e.g. inner leaves, flooring etc, trends in international trade 2013 - 2017 with forecasts until 2022.
- Structural products - overall market size 2013-2017, product mix (Stairs/floors/balconies etc, crosswall panels, others).
- Supply structure - major suppliers, market shares for aircrete blocks, market shares for aggregate concrete blocks, market positioning, changing structures etc.
- Forecasts for total market 2018-2022 and identification of key market driving factors.
Natural and Cast Stone
- Market size by value and trends 2013 - 2017, analysis of key market factors e.g. end-use sector trends.
- Supply structure - key suppliers of natural stone products, trends in international trade.
- Forecasts for both natural and cast stone blocks 2018-2022 by value and key market drivers.
Suppliers and Distribution
- For each product sector - bricks, precast concrete blocks and products, natural / cast stone.
- Market mix by distributor type - builders' merchants, brick factors, direct sales etc. Identification of major distributors and niche players.
Overview of Construction Market
- Review of construction & housebuilding trends 2013-2017 including new orders and key issues e.g. sustainable development, MMC / OSM, focus on housebuilding mix - flats / apartments. Non-residential construction by end use sector.
- Future prospects for construction and for new housing - medium/longer term up to 2022.
Demand for bricks, blocks, precast concrete products, cast stone and natural stone is reliant on factors such as levels of activity and output in the housebuilding and wider construction sectors, public and private sector investment, levels of consumer and business confidence and spending, as well as wider economic factors both within the UK and globally.
The market has experienced solid levels of growth in recent years. Growth has been underpinned by recovery and rapid recent growth in the housebuilding sector as well as higher levels of output from key non-residential sectors including infrastructure, commercial offices and entertainment & leisure. Non-residential output remains somewhat volatile, particularly since the EU vote which introduced a level of uncertainty affecting both business confidence and levels of investment.
Despite recent growth levels, there are several negative factors impacting the market. The market has experience supply issues particularly for bricks and blocks. These issues have increased the importance of partnerships and supply agreements. Furthermore, in response to supply issues have led to an increase in local capacity and a surge in imports to fill the gaps. The market also continues to suffer from inflationary pressures. This has been exacerbated by the fall in value of Sterling as a result of the Brexit vote which has affected raw material prices, and suppliers are struggling with higher import costs of many products and materials being imported from the EU.
Future demand will be underpinned by sustained growth in residential output, although the rate of growth, in terms of both newbuild and RMI, is expected be slower than that experienced 2013-16. The individual product categories discussed in this report are all expected to continue growing 2018-22, however the annual rates of growth are likely to be lower than those experienced 2013-16, but are expected to rise marginally 2021-22, once the Brexit-related uncertainties have been resolved and the market begins to regain some stability.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 8
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 8
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 2.1 SUMMARY 10
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. BRICKS, BLOCKS & PRECAST CONCRETE PRODUCTS MARKET 19
- 4.1 UK MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.1.1 Total Market Size 2013-2022 19
- 4.1.2 Overall Market Trends 20
- 4.1.3 Product Mix 20
- 4.1.4 Overall Market Prospects 21
- 4.1.5 Overview of Product Mix 22
- 4.2 KEY MARKET DRIVERS 23
- 4.2.1 Construction Output 23
- 4.2.2 Non-Residential Construction 24
- 4.2.3 Residential Construction 28
- 4.2.4 Housebuilding Market Size and Trends 29
- 4.2.5 Size and Type of Homes 30
- 4.2.6 House Building Supply Structure 31
- 4.2.7 Housebuilders Market Share 32
- 4.2.8 Self Build Market 33
- 4.2.9 Sustainability 33
- 5. BRICKS 35
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITIONS 35
- 5.2 MATERIALS 35
- 5.3 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 35
- 5.3.1 Market Value & Current Trends 36
- 5.3.2 Forecast 37
- 5.3.3 Market Volumes 38
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 38
- 5.4.1 Facing Bricks 39
- 5.4.2 Common Bricks 41
- 5.4.3 Engineering Bricks 42
- 5.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 43
- 5.6 SUPPLIERS 44
- 6. PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS 47
- 6.1 PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS 47
- 6.1.1 Market Definitions 47
- 6.1.2 Market Value & Current Trends 48
- 6.1.3 Forecast 49
- 6.1.4 Market Volumes 50
- 6.2 MARKET BY END-USE SECTOR 50
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 51
- 6.3.1 Aggregate Concrete Blocks - Dense 52
- 6.3.2 Lightweight Blocks 52
- 6.3.3 Aerated (aircrete) Blocks 53
- 6.4 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 54
- 6.5 SUPPLIERS 54
- 6.5.1 Leading Suppliers of Dense & Lightweight Blocks 55
- 6.5.2 Leading Suppliers of Aircrete Blocks 55
- 6.5.3 Suppliers 56
- 7. PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS 59
- 7.1 MARKET DEFINITION 59
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 59
- 7.2.1 Market Background 59
- 7.2.2 Forecast 62
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 62
- 7.3.1 Precast Flooring and Related Products 64
- 7.3.2 Precast Panel Products 64
- 7.3.3 Miscellaneous/'Other' Precast Concrete Structural Products 64
- 7.4 SUPPLIERS 65
- 7.4.1 Leading Suppliers of Precast Concrete Products 65
- 7.4.2 Leading Suppliers of Cast Stone 67
- 8. NATURAL STONE 68
- 8.1 DEFINITION 68
- 8.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 68
- 8.2.1 Overall Market for Monumental & Building Stone 68
- 8.2.2 Natural Stone Building Products - Market Size & Trends 69
- 8.2.3 Forecasts 70
- 8.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 71
- 8.4 SUPPLIERS 72
- 9. DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 74
- 9.1 DISTRIBUTION MIX 74
- 9.1.1 Clay Bricks 74
- 9.1.2 Concrete blocks, Cast Stone and Other Precast Products 75
- 9.1.3 Natural Stone 76
- 9.2 GENERAL BUILDERS MERCHANTS 77
- 9.3 FACTORS/SPECIALIST MERCHANTS/NATURAL STONE MERCHANTS 79
- 9.3.1 Factors/Specialist Merchants 79
- 9.4 DIRECT SALES 80
- 9.5 OTHERS (INCLUDING DIY) 81
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS, PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS & STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS, NATURAL & CAST STONE BUILDING PRODUCTS, 2013 TO 2022 BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 10
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 15
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS, BLOCKS, PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS & NATURAL STONE, 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS, BLOCKS, PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS AND NATURAL STONE, PRODUCT MIX % SHARE BY VALUE (£MSP) 2017 21
- CHART 8: UK TOTAL PRECAST CONCRETE PRODUCTS MARKET 2013-2017 (EST) - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 22
- CHART 9: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013 -2022 23
- CHART 10: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013-2022 24
- CHART 11: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2017 AND 2022 - % BY VALUE GB 25
- CHART 12: UK OFFICE STOCK BY REGIONAL BY GIFA 26
- CHART 13: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - SHARE OF REVENUE BY SECTOR - FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC. 28
- CHART 14: RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013-2022 29
- TABLE 15: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME 30
- TABLE 16: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS MIX BY TYPE (HOUSE & FLATS) AND BY NUMBER OF BEDROOMS IN ENGLAND 2011/12 TO 2016/17 - % OF DWELLINGS 31
- TABLE 17: LEADING NATIONAL HOUSEBUILDERS 2017 - NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS AND MARKET SHARE (%) 32
- CHART 18: UK SELF BUILD COMPLETIONS 2013 TO 2017 - BY VOLUME (NUMBER OF COMPLETIONS) 33
- TABLE 19: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS UK MANUFACTURE SALES, INTERNATIONAL TRADE BALANCE, AND UK NET SUPPLY, 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 36
- TABLE 20: BRICKS UK PRODUCTION, DELIVERIES AND STOCKS 2011 TO 2017 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS) 38
- CHART 21: BRICKS PRODUCT MIX (FACING, ENGINEERING AND COMMON) 2017 - % SHARE BY VOLUME 39
- TABLE 22: FACING BRICKS SALES/DELIVERIES 2011 TO 2017 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS) 39
- TABLE 23: UK MARKET FOR FACING BRICKS 2012 - 2018 - BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION SQUARE METRES) 40
- CHART 24: UK MARKET FOR FACING BRICKS BY END USE SECTOR (NEW BUILD HOUSING, HOUSING RMI, INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL & PUBLIC SECTOR NEW BUILD) 2017 - % BY AREA INSTALLED 41
- TABLE 25: COMMON BRICKS SALES/DELIVERIES 2011 TO 2017 - BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS) 42
- TABLE 26: SALES/DELIVERIES OF ENGINEERING BRICKS 2011 TO Q1-3 2017 BY VOLUME (MILLIONS OF BRICKS) 42
- TABLE 27: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CLAY BRICKS 2011 TO 2017 (JAN TO NOV) - BY VALUE (£M) 43
- TABLE 28: CLAY BRICKS KEY IMPORT SOURCE & EXPORT DESTINATION COUNTRIES 2011 TO Q1-3 2017 - % BY VALUE 43
- CHART 29: UK MARKET FOR BRICKS % MARKET SHARE FOR KEY SUPPLIERS (BY VALUE) 2017 44
- TABLE 30: UK MARKET FOR CONCRETE BLOCKS, 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 48
- TABLE 31: UK CONCRETE BLOCK PRODUCTION, DELIVERIES/SALES & STOCKS 2011 TO Q 1-3 2017 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES 50
- CHART 32: PRECAST CONCRETE PRODUCTS MARKET BY END USE SECTOR (RESIDENTIAL AND NON-RESIDENTIAL) 2017 - % BY VALUE 51
- CHART 33: UK CONCRETE BLOCK SALES/DELIVERIES BY TYPE (DENSE, LIGHTWEIGHT & AERATED) 2017 - % SHARE BY VOLUME 51
- TABLE 34: SALES/DELIVERIES OF DENSE BLOCKS 2011 TO Q1-3 2017 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES 52
- TABLE 35: UK SALES/DELIVERIES OF LIGHTWEIGHT BLOCKS 2011 TO JAN-NOV 2017 - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES 53
- TABLE 36: UK SALES/DELIVERIES OF AERATED BLOCKS 2011 TO 2017 (JAN-NOV) - THOUSAND SQUARE METRES 53
- TABLE 37: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CONCRETE BLOCKS, BRICKS & PRECAST PRODUCTS (INCLUDING TILES, FLAGSTONES & SIMILAR PRODUCTS) 2011 TO Q1-3 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 54
- CHART 38: UK MARKET FOR DENSE & LIGHTWEIGHT BLOCKS LEADING SUPPLIERS - MARKET SHARES (%) 55
- CHART 39: UK MARKET FOR AIRCRETE BLOCKS LEADING SUPPLIERS - MARKET SHARE (%) 56
- TABLE 40: UK MARKET FOR PRECAST CONCRETE STRUCTURAL PRODUCTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 60
- CHART 41: PRECAST STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS ESTIMATED PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 63
- TABLE 42: TOTAL UK MARKET FOR MONUMENTAL AND BUILDING STONE 2011 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 69
- TABLE 43: UK MARKET FOR NATURAL STONE BUILDING PRODUCTS FORECAST 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 70
- TABLE 44: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN NATURAL BUILDING STONE 2011 TO Q1-3 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 71
- TABLE 45: NUMBER OF ACTIVE QUARRIES IN THE UK BY TURNOVER BAND 2014 AND 2017 72
- CHART 46: UK DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR CLAY BRICKS 2017 - % BY VALUE 75
- CHART 47: UK DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR PRECAST CONCRETE BLOCKS, CAST STONE AND OTHER PRECAST 2017 - % BY VALUE 76
- TABLE 48: LEADING DISTRIBUTORS OF BRICKS, BLOCKS AND CONCRETE PRECAST PRODUCTS 78
The 'Bricks, Blocks and Precast Concrete Products Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .