Building Boards Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 02/02/2016 / Number of Pages: 69 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
The 1st edition of the 'Building Boards Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' provides an analysis of demand and supply of building boards used primarily in building fabric applications, including; drylining, polymer insulation and specialist building boards, used for applications such as rainscreen cladding, timber frame sheathing, tile backing, renders etc. The report focuses on products that form part of the building fabric and excludes timber boards (such as plywood and OSB), worktops, washroom panel systems etc.
Key content covered:
- Detailed assessment of recent market trends - and forecasts of market development to 2020.
- Market overview - size, product analysis, market drivers and key trends.
- Analysis by product group - product mixes - standard & performance plasterboards, rigid polymer insulation boards and specialist boards (e.g. calcium silicate, magnesium oxide, fibre cement).
- Analysis by application - assessment of key applications and end use sectors - drylining, building insulation, fire protection, laminate flooring underlay, cladding, tile backing, timber frame sheathing etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market size estimates for standard and performance plasterboards, rigid polymer insulation boards and specialist building boards.
- Reviews of key applications e.g. drylining, thermal insulation, tile backing, fire protection, timber frame sheathing, external applications etc.
- Changing mix of different material types of insulation products.
- Reviews of key manufacturers, importers and distributors.
Some of the companies included:
Arnold Laver, British Gypsum, CCF, Cellecta, Celotex, Cembrit, Dow Building Solutions, Ecological Building Systems, EcoTherm Insulation UK, Encon Insulation, Euroform Products, Fermacell Ltd, Jablite, James Hardie Building Products, Kingspan Insulation, Knauf UK GmbH, Knauf Insulation, Minster Insulation, Marley Eternit, Marmox UK, Mike Wye and Associates, Nevill Long, Omnis Exteriors, Pittsburgh Corning UK, Promat UK, Pro Warm, Recticel Insulation Products, Resistant Building Products, Respatex International, Rockpanel, Roofing and Cladding Materials (RCM), Schlüter Systems Ltd, SIG Group, Siniat, Steni UK, Tilebacker, Trespa UK, Trimline, Vita Cellular Foams (VCF), Wedi Systems UK, Xtratherm UK, Yorkshire Plywood.
- Definitions - market, products, applications - excluding timber boards (plywood, OSB etc), worktops, washroom panel systems.
- Overall market size, drivers & trends 2010-2015 and forecasts to 2020 - general construction & housebuilding output, relevant building regulations & legislation, skills issues.
Market Mix by Products/Materials
- Overview - share mix between rigid polymer insulation boards, plasterboards and specialist boards e.g. fibre cement, calcium silicate, magnesium oxide etc.
- Rigid polymer insulation boards - polyisocyanurate, extruded polystyrene and phenolic foam; market size and trends 2010-2015 & forecasts to 2020. Mix by material type by value. Key suppliers and main products..
- Standard & performance gypsum plasterboards - market size and trends 2010-2015 & forecasts to 2020. Mix by type by value and by volume. Key suppliers and main products.
- Specialist building boards - e.g. fibre cement, calcium silicate, magnesium oxide, polymer (non-insulation). Market size and trends 2010-2015, plus forecasts to 2020. Mix by type by value and by volume. Key suppliers and main products.
- Drylining and permanent partitioning - walls, ceiling & permanent partitions. Market size, trends, key suppliers.
- Thermal insulation - walls, floors, roofs, basements and other. Market size, trends, key suppliers.
- Passive fire protection - structural steel and building fabric. Market size, trends, key suppliers.
- Sheathing -for timber & light steel framing and external wall insulation systems. Market size, trends, key suppliers.
- Flooring - XPS underlay boards for laminate flooring. Market size, trends, key suppliers.
- Cladding - fibre cement, HPL & calcium silicate boards. Market size, trends, key suppliers.
- Plasterboard- estimated market shares and review of suppliers - key players, profiles.
- Polymer boards - estimated market shares and review of suppliers - key players, profiles etc.
- Specialist building boards - review of suppliers - key players, profiles.
- Supply chain review - estimated distribution mix e.g. specialist distributors, builders merchants, direct to OEM etc.
- Distributor review - channel shares, company profiles.
- Market prospects.
This report assesses the market for manufactured board products used on both internal and external building works, focusing on those with higher performance properties relating to thermal insulation, fire protection, moisture and impact resistance etc; such as rigid and semi-rigid polymer boards, gypsum plasterboards and specialist (building) boards. Not included are standard boards of plywood, particleboard and OSB, nor decorative panels used for applications such as washroom cubicles. The market for these products is estimated to have grown by around 6% in 2015, with 2014 seeing even higher growth. Following a difficult period in 2009/10, the market has shown some recovery in recent years, particularly since 2014.
Demand is primarily driven by developments in new housing, commercial newbuild and, to a lesser extent, domestic extensions & loft conversions and non-domestic refurbishment. The return to growth in housebuilding and commercial newbuild has generated increased levels of demand for all product groups, although overall growth rates have been constrained by lower levels of newbuild and interior refurbishment activity in some key commercial newbuild markets. The other factor driving growth has been the trend towards higher specifications for value-added products, driven by increasingly tighter building regulations and the need for products offering higher levels of performance, which are typically much more expensive per m² than standard alternatives. The offsite building sector is a particular area of demand, especially timber frame systems, where high levels of fire protection are critical requirements.
By value, rigid polymer insulation boards are estimated to account for around 60% of the total as defined in this report, followed by plasterboards at 30% and specialist building boards at around 10%. The polymer boards sector is dominated by PIR, followed by polystyrene (extruded and expanded) and phenolic foam. Plasterboards can broadly be split between standard wallboards and baseboards on the one hand, and performance boards on the other. Key applications for specialist building boards include; fire protection, rainscreen cladding backing, ceramic and stone tile backing, timber frame sheathing and internal wall linings, and among key drivers are fire performance specifications and demand for moisture resistance alternatives to plasterboards in 'wet rooms'.
There are just three manufacturers of plasterboards dominating the European market, while the specialist building boards sector is more diverse. Distribution is mainly through specialist distributors, and many of these are also able to fabricate panel systems using proprietary facing materials from manufacturers. Our forecasts for this market are for steady growth through of between 3-5% per annum to 2020, notwithstanding impacts from political or economic events. Underpinning growth is likely to be the demand for more new homes and strong levels of activity in the commercial office, higher education, Academy and Free Schools sectors.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 18
- 4.3 HOUSING MARKET 20
- 4.4 NON RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION 23
- 4.5 OFFSITE CONSTRUCTION 25
- 4.6 REGULATORY AND LEGISLATIVE INFLUENCES 25
- 4.7 SKILLS SHORTAGES AND REQUIREMENTS 28
- 5. MARKET MIX BY CORE MATERIAL TYPE 30
- 5.1 DEFINITION AND OVERVIEW 30
- 5.2 RIGID POLYMER THERMAL INSULATION BOARDS 31
- 5.3 CALCINED GYPSUM PLASTERBOARDS 33
- 5.4 SPECIALIST BUILDING BOARDS 38
- 5.4.1 General overview 38
- 5.4.2 Cement boards 40
- 5.4.3 Calcium Silicate boards 41
- 5.4.4 Composite Boards 41
- 5.4.5 Other (including magnesium oxide boards) 42
- 6. MARKET MIXES BY APPLICATION 44
- 6.1 DEFINITION 44
- 6.2 LININGS FOR WALLS, PARTITIONS AND CEILINGS 45
- 6.3 THERMAL INSULATION BOARDS 45
- 6.4 SHEATHING BOARDS (INCLUDING RENDER CARRIER BOARDS) 46
- 6.5 TILE BACKER BOARDS 49
- 6.6 FIRE PROTECTION 51
- 6.7 CLADDING 54
- 6.8 LAMINATE FLOORING 57
- 7 SUPPLIERS REVIEW 59
- 7.1 PLASTERBOARDS /DRYLINING 59
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 66
- 8.1 OVERVIEW 66
- 8.2 COMPANY PROFILES 67
- 8.2.1 Specialist distributors 67
- 8.2.2 Builders Merchants 69
- 8.2.3 DIY and Direct Sales 69
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK BUILDING BOARDS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS (DRYLINING, RIGID POLYMER & SPECIALIST BOARDS) 2010 - 2020 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 14
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6 TOTAL UK BUILDING BOARDS MARKET (RIGID POLYMER, PLASTERBOARDS AND SPECIALIST BUILDING BOARDS) BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2010 - 2020 19
- CHART 7 PRIVATE SECTOR NEW HOUSING STARTS / COMPLETIONS 2009-19 - VOLUME OF DWELLINGS 20
- CHART 8 PUBLIC SECTOR NEW HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS 2009-19 - VOLUME DWELLINGS 21
- CHART 9 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS - % MIX BY HOUSES / FLATS ENGLAND 2004/05-2014/15 22
- TABLE 10 TOTAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2010-2019 23
- CHART 11 CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2015 24
- TABLE 12 BUILDING REGULATION AMENDMENTS IMPACTING ON THE BUILDING INSULATION MARKET 26
- TABLE 13 BUILDING REGULATIONS PART L 2013 NOTIONAL BUILDING SPECIFICATION VS LIMITING U-VALUES BY INSULATION APPLICATION 27
- CHART 14 MIX OF DRYLINING, INSULATION AND SPECIALIST BUILDING BOARDS BY MATERIAL - % BY VALUE 2015 30
- CHART 15 MIX OF RIGID POLYMER BOARDS BY MATERIAL (POLYISOCYANURATE, XPS, PHENOLIC FOAM, EXPANDED POLYSTYRENE) - % BY VALUE 32
- CHART 16 UK RIGID POLYMER INSULATION BOARDS MARKET AND FORECASTS BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2010 - 2020 33
- CHART 17 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR GYPSUM PLASTERBOARDS BY VOLUME (M2) 2010 - 2020 34
- CHART 18 UK GYPSUM PLASTERBOARDS MARKET AND FORECASTS BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2010 - 2020 35
- CHART 19 PLASTERBOARD MIX BY BROAD TYPE (PERFORMANCE/STANDARD BOARDS) - BY AREA INSTALLED 36
- CHART 20 PLASTERBOARD MIX BY BROAD TYPE (PERFORMANCE/STANDARD BOARDS) - BY VALUE 36
- CHART 21 PERFORMANCE PLASTERBOARD MIXES BY TYPE BY MAIN FUNCTION (FIRE-PROTECTION, ACOUSTIC, MOISTURE/VAPOUR RESISTANCE, ETC) - AREA INSTALLED (M2) 37
- CHART 22 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR SPECIALIST BOARDS BY VALUE (£ MILLION MSP) 2010 - 2020 38
- CHART 23 UK MARKET FOR SPECIALIST BOARDS BY PRODUCT (CEMENT BASED, CALCIUM SILICATE, COMPOSITE, OTHER) 2015 (£M MSP) 39
- CHART 24 DRYLINING MIX BY MAIN APPLICATION BY AREA INSTALLED - INTERNAL WALLS/PARTITIONS, OUTSIDE WALLS, CEILINGS 45
- TABLE 25 GB TIMBER FRAME HOUSING OUTPUT BY VOLUME 2007 -2014 47
- CHART 26 UK MARKET FOR EWI SYSTEMS BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2008 -2014 48
- CHART 27 UK MARKET FOR WETROOM SYSTEMS BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2010 -2019 50
- CHART 28 PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION PRODUCTS (FIRE DOORS, STRUCTURAL/BOARDS, FITTINGS, CABLES, CEILINGS, GLASS, ETC) - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 52
- CHART 29 UK EXTERIOR WALL CLADDING MARKET BY PRODUCT TYPE BY AREA INSTALLED (BRICKS, METAL, RENDER, CURTAIN WALL, OTHERS INCL BOARDS ETC) 55
- CHART 30 UK MARKET FOR LAMINATE FLOORCOVERINGS BY VOLUME (MILLION M2)- 2009 - 2015 57
- CHART 31 UK DRYLINING MARKET - SUPPLIER MARKET SHARES 59
- CHART 32 MAJOR DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR DRYLINING, RIGID INSULATION AND SPECIALIST BUILDING BOARDS 66
- CHART 33 DRYLINING AND BUILDINGS BOARDS DISTRIBUTION MIX BY CHANNEL - % SHARES BY VALUE 67
The 'Building Boards Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.