Building and Home Improvement Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 14/03/2019 / Number of Pages: 91 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 9th edition of the 'Building and Home Improvement Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2019-2023' contains a detailed study of the development of the distribution market along with analysis of trends and issues that impact building materials and their distribution. This report provides an up-to-date review of the market including recent trends and forecasts over the next few years.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure, key national distributors and developments.
- Highly fragmented market - key distribution channels including builders' merchants, home improvement multiples, direct supply, electrical wholesalers, garden centres, specialist distributors, department & variety stores and Internet.
- Analysis by product group- market size and distribution mix.
- Forecasts of market development to 2022 - market size and factors impacting on the market..
Areas of Particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecast to 2023 - factors impacting on market development.
- Review of key channels - including distribution channel shares.
- Review of key players in the market.
- Product group analysis - definition, sector size and distribution mix within each sector.
- Detailed market data and insight on the building and home improvement products market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
- Building and home improvement products distribution market - market definition, size and recent market performance in 2014-2018, with forecasts to 2023, factors impacting on the market.
- Distribution structure - suppliers, distributors, contractors and end-users.
- Overview of key distribution channels - including direct, builders and plumbers' merchants, home improvement multiples, electrical wholesalers, garden centres, internet, other trade and retail route.
- Distribution channel mix.
- Impact of the economy and construction on the structure of the market - market trends and major factors influencing market development..
- Review of key distributors - including Travis Perkins, Saint Gobain, Wolseley UK, Grafton, Screwfix, B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, etc.
- Profiles of key distributors - company structure, products, estimates of channel share..
Products and Suppliers
- Product groups reviewed - decorating materials, bathrooms, kitchens, garden products, hardware, electrical products, roofing & insulation, bricks, blocks, cement & plaster, timber & glazing and heating, plumbing & drainage products.
- Sector sizes and distribution mix for each product group.
- Analysis by product group - definition, market size 2014-2018, recent trends, sector prospects etc.
- Distribution channel mix for each product group..
- Prospects and development of the building and home improvement products distribution market to 2023, with market size estimation.
- Factors affecting distributors market - positive and negative influences, UK economy, construction levels, consumer and business confidence, trends in key sectors.
The building and home improvement products distribution market is a large, mature market and as such tends to experience modest year-on-year change. Market growth has been positive since 2014, with 2014 in particular benefiting from a strong construction industry (both residential and non-residential) as well as good levels of RMI activity.
The market is evenly split between heavyside and lightside products, with each sector having different distribution profiles. Heavyside products are dominated by direct supply and builders' & plumbers' merchants, whilst home improvement multiples, retail and trade distributors are stronger in lightside products.
Different products favour different distribution channels, with for example the key channel for heating, plumbing & drainage products being the builders' merchants; while garden & leisure products are primarily via home improvement multiples and garden centres; and electrical & lighting products are primarily distributed via electrical wholesalers, with the key route to market for cement & plaster being direct supply.
Market prospects for the building and home improvement products distribution market are currently extremely difficult to forecast as developments are highly dependent on the economic environment and the outcome of Brexit negotiations.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 12
- 3.2 KEY DATA 13
- 3.2.1 GDP 13
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 13
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 14
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 15
- 3.2.5 Sterling 16
- 4. BUILDING AND HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCR DISTRIBUTION MARKET 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 BUILDING AND HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 19
- 4.2.1 Background 19
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects - 2018 to 2023 21
- 4.3 BUILDING & HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS SHARE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 24
- 4.4 MARKET INFLUENCES 25
- 4.4.1 Overall Construction Market 25
- 4.4.2 The Housing Market 27
- 4.4.3 Additional Factors Influencing the Market 30
- 4.5 PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS 31
- 5. DISTRIBUTION SUPPLY CHAIN 32
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 32
- 5.1.1 Supply Chain 32
- 5.1.2 Distribution Market Shares 34
- 5.1.3 Key Changes in the Market in Recent Years 35
- 5.2 BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS 36
- 5.2.1 Definition 36
- 5.2.2 Market Size 36
- 5.2.3 Products 38
- 5.2.4 Market Structure 39
- 5.2.5 Merchant Companies 40
- 5.3 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 44
- 5.3.1 Definition 44
- 5.3.2 Market Size 44
- 5.3.3 Products 46
- 5.3.4 Market Structure 48
- 5.3.5 Home Improvement Companies 50
- 5.4 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS 51
- 5.5 GARDEN CENTRES 53
- 5.6 OTHER CHANNELS 54
- 5.6.1 Direct 54
- 5.6.2 Other Trade 54
- 5.6.3 Other Retail 56
- 5.6.4 Internet 57
- 6. PRODUCT REVIEW 59
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 59
- 6.2 MIX OF HEAVYSIDE AND LIGHTSIDE PRODUCTS 61
- 6.3 DECORATING PRODUCTS MARKET 62
- 6.4 BATHROOM PRODUCTS MARKET 66
- 6.5 GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET 69
- 6.6 HARDWARE, TOOLS AND FIXINGS MARKET 72
- 6.7 ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING PRODUCTS MARKET 74
- 6.8 DOMESTIC KITCHEN MARKET 76
- 6.9 ROOFING AND INSULATION 79
- 6.10 BRICKS, BLOCKS, BUILDING ENVELOPE AND CONCRETE 80
- 6.11 CEMENT & PLASTER 82
- 6.12 TIMBER AND GLAZING 83
- 6.13 HVAC & PLUMBING 85
- 6.14 OTHER PRODUCTS 88
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK MARKET FOR BUILDING AND HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCT DISTRIBUTION 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M DSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 14
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 15
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 15
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 7: PRODUCT CATEGORY DEFINITIONS 18
- CHART 8: UK BUILDING & HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2014-2023 BY VALUE (£BN AT DSP) 19
- TABLE 9: PRODUCT & MATERIAL SHARE OF UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014-2023 (£ BILLION CURRENT PRICES) 24
- CHART 10: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2014 -2022 25
- CHART 11: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2018 AND 2022 - % BY VALUE GB 26
- TABLE 12: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2014 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 27
- TABLE 13: HOUSE BUILDING SHARE OF COMPLETIONS (UK) 2014 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME 28
- CHART 14: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2018 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 29
- CHART 15: BUILDING AND HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCT MIX - % MIX 2018 31
- CHART 16: OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR BUILDING PRODUCTS 33
- CHART 17: DISTRIBUTION OF BUILDING & HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS BY CHANNEL - % SHARE 2018 34
- TABLE 18: UK BUILDING & PLUMBING MERCHANTS' MARKET 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£BN AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 37
- CHART 19: BUILDERS' AND PLUMBERS' MERCHANTS MARKET - % PRODUCT MIX 2018 38
- CHART 20: MERCHANTS % SHARE BY PRODUCT MARKET SECTOR 2018 39
- TABLE 21: BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARE 2018 39
- TABLE 22: LARGER REGIONAL MERCHANT COMPANIES 43
- TABLE 23: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET 2014 - 2023 - BY VALUE (RSP) 44
- CHART 24: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES BY PRODUCT SECTOR - % SHARE 2018 46
- CHART 25: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES % SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP OF TOTAL MARKET SECTOR 2018 47
- CHART 26: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES - MARKET SHARES 2018 48
- CHART 27: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET POSITIONING 49
- CHART 28: BUILDING AND HOME IMPROVEMENT MARKET - ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP - 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 59
- TABLE 29: PRODUCT MIX BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL 2018 - DSP (% SHARE BY PRODUCT SECTOR) 60
- CHART 30: MARKET MIX - HEAVYSIDE VS LIGHTSIDE 2018 61
- CHART 31: DISTRIBUTION PROFILE OF HEAVYSIDE AND LIGHTSIDE PRODUCTS - 2018 62
- TABLE 32: DECORATING MATERIALS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 63
- CHART 33: DISTRIBUTION OF DECORATING PRODUCTS - % SHARE BY CHANNEL 2018 65
- TABLE 34: BATHROOM PRODUCTS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 66
- CHART 35: DISTRIBUTION OF BATHROOM PRODUCTS - % SHARE BY CHANNEL 2018 68
- TABLE 36: GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 69
- CHART 37: DISTRIBUTION OF GARDEN PRODUCTS - % SHARE BY CHANNEL 2018 71
- TABLE 38: HARDWARE, TOOLS AND FIXINGS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 72
- TABLE 39: ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 74CHART 40: DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING PRODUCTS - % SHARE 2018 75
- TABLE 41: UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 76CHART 42: DISTRIBUTION OF DOMESTIC KITCHENS - % SHARE BY CHANNEL 2018 78
- TABLE 43: ROOFING & INSULATION PRODUCTS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 79
- TABLE 44: UK BRICKS, BLOCKS AND CONCRETE GOODS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 81
- TABLE 45: UK CEMENT AND PLASTER MATERIALS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 82
- TABLE 46: UK TIMBER AND GLAZING PRODUCTS MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 84
- TABLE 47: UK HVAC, PLUMBING & DRAINAGE MARKET 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 86
- TABLE 48: MARKET VALUE FOR 'OTHER' PRODUCTS 2014-2023 (£M DSP) 88
The 'Building and Home Improvement Products Distribution Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.