Children's Furniture and Textiles Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis
Published: 22/07/2013 / Number of Pages: 65 / Price:
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research is pleased to announce the publication of the First Edition of the report, entitled "Children's Furniture and Textiles Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis". This report incorporates original input and primary research and represents an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the children's furniture and household textiles market. The children's furniture and textiles market is resilient and has continued to grow, while the main furniture market has been impacted by the downturn in the UK economy and by declining consumer confidence. However, more significant growth in the main market in the next few years should support further growth in this niche market sector in the short to medium term future, with a rising children's population sustaining long term growth.
Product sectors covered in the report include:
- Children's beds and mattresses.
- Children's furniture.
- Children's textiles - linen, duvets, filled products.
Key points of particular interest include:
- Estimates and forecasts for 2012 through to 2017.
- Growing importance of the beds and mattresses sector within the product mix.
- A new generation of children and teenagers has influenced the market, requiring a more complex arrangement of solutions to cope with the technological environment.
- Greater consumer awareness of products and fashion trends within the industry, with the Internet being used particularly to research available products.
- Many of the distributors entering the market in the last few years have concentrated on the E-commerce sector, although most companies are now offering a multi-channel choice for consumers.
- Cheaper materials are more prominent in all product sectors, with imports expanding the mix of styles available and offering a wider range of affordable products.
- In the medium term growth prospects will be largely influenced by the speed at which the housing market recovers and the extent to which consumer confidence returns.
- Detailed market data and insight on the childrens furniture and textiles market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
A.W. Hainsworth & Sons, Acton & Acton, Airsprung Group, Archers Sleep Centres, Argos, Bebecar (UK), Bedcentre.co.uk, Bedeck, Bensons for Beds, BHS, Boots UK, Chartley Furniture Design, Chiltern Mills, Chortex, Christy Home Textiles, Comfy Quilts, Debenhams, Delbanco Meyer & Company, Dreams, Dunelm (Soft Furnishings), Fogarty (Filled Products), Freemans, Furniture Village, Gautier, Grattan, Groupe Parisot, Homebase, House of Fraser (Stores), Hülsta Furniture (UK), IKEA Group, John Cotton Group, Julian Bowen, Kiddicare.com, Kipfold, Kozee Sleep Beds, Laura Ashley Holdings, Mamas & Papas (Retail), Marks & Spencer, Matalan Retail, Mattressman.co.uk, Mostyns Curtains, Mothercare, Next, Nordika Design, Northern Feather (Home Furnishings), Paul Simon (London), Rectella, Restus Beds, Ruia Group, Shop Direct, Silentnight Group, Steens Group A/S, Sweet Dreams (Nelson), The John Lewis Partnership, Thomas Ferguson, Thuka Furniture, Trendsetter Home Furnishings, Treymaine, Turner Bianca, Walker Greenbank.
The Children's Furniture and Textiles Market
- Total Furniture Market - market background and size by value.
- Total Household Textiles Market - background and historical trends.
- Children's Beds and Mattresses Market - historical market development, analysis of market size by value 2008-2012. Forecasts of market sizes to 2017.
- Children's Furniture Market - historical market development, analysis of market size by value 2008-2012. Forecasts of market sizes to 2017.
- Children's Textiles Market - analysis of market size by value 2008-2012. Forecasts of market sizes to 2017.
- Children's Beds and Mattresses - analysis and comparison with adult sector.
- Factors influencing Market Development - house moving, economic situation and house price inflation, RMI, consumer confidence, growing influence of design/style changes, population mix changes, increases in the number of births etc.
Products & Product Mix
- Trends in Design/Materials in Children's Furniture and Textiles - high proportion of traditional designs, with contemporary styles featuring up to date fashion logos, greater consumer awareness; emphasis on quality and features, trends in colours and finishes etc.
- Trends in Product Mix - share mix by product types for beds and mattresses and for household textiles.
Distribution / Suppliers
- Analysis of Supply Structure - supplier market shares, recent developments in supplier shares.
- Profiles of Leading Suppliers - beds and mattresses, furniture, household textiles, market position, analysis of activities, financial information etc.
- Distribution Channel Shares - analysis of shares by value, trends/developments in shares, growth/declining sectors.
Key Market Influences / Future Prospects
- Future Prospects - forecasts through to 2017, key factors influencing future market developments, performance of the economy, housing market, consumer confidence, market factors, and future growth prospects.
- Housing Market - analysis of developments in house moving activity, influence of house prices and consumer confidence.
- Population Profile - analysis of changing profile and implications for children's furniture and household textiles sales. Personal Disposable Income and Savings - developments in ratios and impact on consumer durable purchasing.
The UK domestic children's furniture and household textiles market was static in 2011 followed by a modest increase of around 2% in 2012, although volume sales have increased in recent years, supported by the substitution of high value home produced products with lower value imported products in the lower to medium priced market sector.
Currently beds and mattresses account for 75% of the total market, compared with furniture at 13% and household textiles with a 12% share.
It is estimated that children's and teenagers' beds and mattresses account for around 16% of the total beds market in 2012, with a value of around £95m in that year. Within the children's and teenagers' beds and mattresses sector, bunk beds and associated products, such as mid and high sleepers, account for 37% of the market, cots and nursery beds for 33% and beds or bedsteads for a further 30%.
Major suppliers to the market include Silentnight Ltd, Airsprung Beds, Kozee Sleep Beds Ltd, Sweet Dreams (Nelson) Ltd, Groupe Parisot, Gautier, Steens Group A/S and Stompa UK.
Retail specialists account for 28% of this sector, compared with the 18% share held by mail order and catalogue retailers. Important retailers of children's furniture include Argos Ltd, Mothercare plc, Bensons for Beds, Mamas & Papas (Retail) Ltd, Shop Direct Ltd, Tesco Direct, The John Lewis Partnership, together with an increasing number of online children's furniture suppliers.
The market has been supported in recent years by an influx of retailers entering the market or extending their product ranges in this sector, multiples, such as Tesco, Next, Asda and Homebase have joined established companies in this sector, such as Argos, Mothercare, Mamas & Papas and so on. Of course this has increased the competitive nature of the market and has resulted in casualties, particularly in the independent category.
Textile Sales have been constrained by the slow economic recovery, although the low product values have prevented a sharper decline in the market for children's household textiles. Rising cotton and polyester prices began to feed through to the market in around mid-2011, further impacting on retailers' margins, putting upward pressure on prices and heightening the competitive nature of the market still further. Sales of bed linen and filled products, which includes duvets, pillows, duvet covers, mattress protectors and so on, account for the largest share of the children's household textiles sector.
Department stores account for 33% of the distribution of children's household textiles, compared with the 16% share held by retail specialists and 14% held by mail order/catalogue retailers.
The total market for children's furniture and household textiles is estimated to have reached £126m in 2012, an increase of 2% on the preceding year, but is forecast to show more positive annual growth to 2017, to reach a level of £146m by the end of the period. Beds and mattresses will continue to account for around 75% of the total market.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 5
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 5
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET 20
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 20
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS 22
- 4.3 OVERALL HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 23
- 4.4 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS 25
- 4.4.1 Housebuilding 25
- 4.4.2 House Moving 28
- 4.4.3 Household Size 28
- 5. THE UK CHILDREN'S FURNITURE AND TEXTILES MARKET 30
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITIONS 30
- 5.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE 30
- 5.3 OVERALL MARKET TRENDS 31
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX - FURNITURE, TEXTILES, BEDS / MATTRESSES 37
- 5.4.1 Beds and Mattresses 37
- 5.4.2 Furniture 39
- 5.4.3 Children's Household Textiles 40
- 5.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 42
- 6. SUPPLIERS 44
- 6.1 MARKET SHARES - CHILDREN'S BEDS, MATTRESSES AND FURNITURE 44
- 6.2 KEY SUPPLIERS OF BEDS AND MATTRESSES 44
- 6.3 KEY SUPPLIERS OF BEDROOM FURNITURE 46
- 6.4 SUPPLIERS AND SHARES OF HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES 47
- 6.4.1 Bed linen 49
- 6.4.2 Filled Products 50
- 6.4.3 Other Household Textiles 50
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 52
- 7.1 STRUCTURE 52
- 7.2 FURNITURE, BEDS AND MATTRESSES 52
- 7.2.1 Major Distribution Channels 53
- 7.2.2 Retail Specialists 53
- 7.2.3 Mail Order/ Catalogue Retailers 55
- 7.2.4 Furniture Multiples 56
- 7.2.5 Furniture Independents 57
- 7.2.6 Department Stores and Variety Chains 58
- 7.2.7 Others 59
- 7.3 HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES 61
- 7.3.1 Multiple Specialists 62
- 7.3.2 Independents 63
- 7.3.3 Others 63
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 THE UK MARKET FOR CHILDREN'S FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES 2008-2012 (£M MSP) 7
- TABLE 2 FORECASTS FOR THE CHILDREN'S FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET 2012-2017 - (VALUE AND % CHANGE) 10
- TABLE 3 GDP DATA - 2010-2013 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 4 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2017 14
- CHART 5 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2017 15
- TABLE 6 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 7 THE UK MARKET FOR OVERALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2006-2012 (£M MSP) 20
- CHART 8 UK MARKET MIX OF ALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE - VALUE (%) 2002, 2005 & 2012 21
- CHART 9 UK MIX OF UNDER 20S IN THE UK POPULATION '000 23
- TABLE 10 UK HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET SIZE 2006-2012 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 24
- TABLE 11 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2006-2015 BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 26
- CHART 12 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2001-2013 BY TYPE OF DWELLING - % 27
- TABLE 13 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK 2006-2014 (000'S) 28
- TABLE 14 AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016 29
- TABLE 15 FORECASTS FOR THE CHILDREN'S FURNITURE AND HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET 2008-2017 - (VALUE AND % CHANGE) 30
- TABLE 16 POPULATION OF THE UK BY AGE GROUP AND PROPORTION 2011 (000'S AND %) 32
- CHART 17 ESTIMATED AND PROJECTED POPULATION OF THE UNITED KINGDOM 33
- CHART 18 PRODUCT MIX IN THE CHILDREN'S FURNITURE MARKET 2012 (FURNITURE, BEDS AND MATTRESSES, HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES) - BY VALUE 37
- CHART 19 MIX OF CHILDREN'S & TEENAGE/ADULT BEDS AND MATTRESSES 2012 BY VALUE 38
- CHART 20 PRODUCT MIX IN THE BEDS AND MATTRESSES MARKET 2012 - BY VALUE 39
- CHART 21 PRODUCT MIX IN THE CHILDREN'S TEXTILES MARKET 2012 - BY VALUE - FILLED PRODUCTS, BED LINEN, OTHERS 41
- TABLE 22 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN BEDS AND MATTRESSES, BEDROOM FURNITURE, HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES 2011- BY VALUE (£M) 42
- TABLE 23 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES 2008 TO 2011- BY VALUE (£M) 43
- TABLE 24 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CHILDREN'S BEDS, MATTRESSES AND FURNITURE MARKETS - MARKET SHARES 2012 44
- TABLE 25 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK CHILDREN'S HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES MARKET -MARKET SHARES 2012 48
- TABLE 26 DISTRIBUTION OF CHILDREN'S FURNITURE, BEDS AND MATTRESSES - 2012 SHARE BY VALUE 53
- TABLE 27 DISTRIBUTION OF CHILDREN'S HOUSEHOLD TEXTILES - 2012 BY SHARE OF VALUE 61
The 'Children's Furniture and Textiles Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis' costs £495+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.