Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 15/10/2015 / Number of Pages: 83 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 9th edition of the 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, the report represents and up-to-date and informed review of all sectors within the commercial glazing market.
Key issues covered:
- UK commercial glazing market - market size & trends, key market influences, forecasts to 2019.
- Analysis by product sector - commerical windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments and roof glazing - product mix, size, trends and influences by sector.
- Market structure - review of supply and distribution structure, breakdown of market sectors with major players and company profiles.
- End use application areas - mix by end-use sectors, analysis of key end user markets and identification of growth opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Overview of commercial glazing market by installed value.
- Product mix review - commercial windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments, roof glazing - market size, trends and forecasts.
- Complex supply structure in commercial glazing market.
- Forecasts for 2015 - 2019 and review of market drivers.
Some of the companies included:
Allegion, Aluk GB, Alumet Systems, Assa Abloy Entrance Systems, AWS Group, Boon Edam UK, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, Charles Henshaw & Sons, Comar Architectural Aluminium Systems, Crittall Windows, Dane Architectural Systems, Dorma UK, Dortech Architectural Systems, Dudley's Architectural Aluminium (DAA), Duplus Architectural Systems, English Architectural Glazing, Eurocell Profiles UK, Federated Windows and Doors, Felix, Focchi, Geze UK, GIG Facades, Gilgen Door Systems UK, Glidevale, Guardian Industries UK, Hambleside Danelaw, Hansen Group, HW Architectural (HWA), Josef Gartner and Co UK, Kawneer UK, Kingspan Glassolutions, Lakesmere, Latium Group, LB Plastics, Lindner Facades, M Price, Mero-Schmidlin (UK), Metal Technology, Metallbau Früh UK, Norking Aluminium, Oskomera Facades UK, Permasteelisa UK, Pilkington Architectural, Pilkington Building Products, Prater, Red Architectural, Reynaers Ltd, Saint-Gobain Glass, Sapa Building Systems, Scheldebouw UK, Schneider GB, Schϋco International, Seele UK, Senior Architectural Systems Plc (SAS), Smart Systems and Smart Architectural Aluminium, Solaglass Contracting, Stoakes Systems, Structal UK, Ubbink (UK), VEKA UK Group, Waagner Biro, Xtralite, Yuanda UK.
- Market size by installed value - market development from 2009-2019.
- Recent market developments 2010 - 2014 and key influences e.g. construction activity levels, high-rise buildings, regulations, material price trends, design specifications.
- Forecasts 2015 - 2019 and key market factors influencing growth prospects - construction activity levels, regulations, material prices etc.
End Use Sectors
- Identification of key end-use markets & estimates of market mix in 2014: education, commercial offices, retail, healthcare, high-rise residential, leisure, transport.
- Education - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. BSF & Primary Capital Programme, trends in funding; identification of major long-term university construction programmes/student accommodation etc etc.
- Offices - recent trends in development and assessment of future demand; focus primarily on Central London plus major provincial cities and business park sector.
- Retail - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. High Street shopfront replacement, grocery multiple newbuild, retail warehouses and shopping malls etc.
- High-rise residential - analysis of trends towards high-rise accommodation, etc.
- Other markets - healthcare, hotels, transport, Defence Estates etc.
- Commercial windows - market size, key trends, product mix, materials used, forecasts.
- Ground floor treatments - market size, key trends, usage, forecasts.
- Curtain walling - including structural glazing - market size, key trends, materials used, project types, forecasts.
- Roof glazing - market size, key trends, forecasts.
Supply and Distribution
- Analysis of aluminium, PVC-U & steel supply sectors - major suppliers, market positioning etc.
- Further consolidation in key sectors of the supply chain: systems companies, UK fabricators/installers and European vertically integrated contractors.
- Review of aluminium systems sector with profiles - key players, market shares, market positioning etc.
- Review of contracting sector with profiles on key players - market positioning.
- Review of major bespoke façade contractors including major projects undertaken and profiles on major operators.
- Review of supply sectors for steel windows, manufactured rooflights, structural glazing & automated door systems.
The commercial glazing market saw a modest increase in 2013, and significant growth in 2014 appears to have been sustained and improved upon in 2015 with prospects for growth in the market over the next 4-5 years looking positive. Following a period of decline between 2008 and 2011, the market began to stabilise from 2011 onwards, due to improving conditions in the Central London office construction sector, education and leisure construction sectors. Growth in 2014-2015 has been mainly stimulated by increasing demand in the office construction sector and in H2 2015, there are signs of growing demand for new Grade A office space in London and certain other cities - e.g. Leeds and Birmingham - which is likely to stimulate growth for commercial windows and curtain wall from 2016 onwards.
The education sector is also likely to see growing demand with the introduction of the Priority Schools Building Programme (PSBP) in England as the replacement for BSF, which should deliver £2.5bn worth of new schools to complete in 2017. The University Technical Colleges programme is also likely to boost output growth into the medium-term, with similar programmes underway in Scotland and Wales. However, other end use markets are currently less optimistic. In healthcare, the shift from building large hospitals towards primary care facilities has meant less demand for curtain wall, roof glazing and windows. The decline in High Street retailing - as well as in retail parks and out-of town developments - will probably continue, as online shopping continues to penetrate the market. In addition, the grocery multiple sector is experiencing a major cutback in store development programmes.
In terms of product sectors, our estimates indicate that the largest segment by value is commercial windows, followed by Curtain wall and ground floor treatments. Roof glazing accounts for the smallest share at less than 10%. Aluminium is the dominant frame material in the commercial glazing market, but timber, PVCu, steel and composites all have reasonable shares and sector strengths.
Among the systems companies, the market has remained fragmented with no truly dominant suppliers. In the aluminium systems supply sector, there appears to be a decreasing level of market concentration with the 10 largest accounting for ~90% of this market. However, the reduced level of activity in the commercial glazing market in 2012-2013 led to a significant contraction among fabricators and installers with several players ceasing trading. The bespoke façade and roof glazing sector is dominated by European contractors although their sales have been somewhat diminished by contracts ending on major developments. In other product sectors there has been relatively little change other than some smaller companies going out of business.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE MARKET 19
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT TRENDS 20
- 4.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 22
- 4.3.1 Major High Rise and / or Large Span Developments 23
- 4.3.2 Material Price Trends 23
- 4.3.3 Regulatory and Legislative Influences 24
- 5. END USE SECTORS 28
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 28
- 5.2 EDUCATION 29
- 5.2.1 Sector Overview 29
- 5.3 COMMERCIAL OFFICES 34
- 5.3.1 Sector Overview 34
- 5.4 RETAIL 38
- 5.4.1 Sector Overview 38
- 5.5 HIGH RISE APARTMENT BLOCKS 40
- 5.5.1 Sector Overview 40
- 5.6 HEALTHCARE 43
- 5.6.1 Sector Overview 43
- 5.7 LEISURE 47
- 5.7.1 Sector Overview 47
- 5.8 TRANSPORT 50
- 5.8.1 Sector Overview 50
- 6. PRODUCT SECTORS 54
- 6.1 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 55
- 6.1.1 Definition 55
- 6.1.2 Market Overview 55
- 6.2 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS 57
- 6.2.1 Definition 57
- 6.2.2 Market Overview 58
- 6.3 CURTAIN WALL (INCLUDING STRUCTURAL GLAZING) 59
- 6.3.1 Definition 59
- 6.3.2 Market Overview 61
- 6.4 ROOF GLAZING 63
- 6.4.1 Definition 63
- 6.4.2 Market Overview 63
- 7. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 65
- 7.1 ALUMINIUM FRAMED GLAZING SYSTEMS 66
- 7.1.1 Aluminium Systems Companies 67
- 7.1.2 Aluminium Systems Fabricators 71
- 7.2 PVC-U SYSTEMS 73
- 7.3 STRUCTURAL GLAZING 74
- 7.4 STEEL GLAZING SYSTEMS 75
- 7.5 BESPOKE/OWN-DESIGN 75
- 7.5.1 UK Companies 75
- 7.5.2 European & Other Foreign Contractors 76
- 7.6 ROOFLIGHT MANUFACTURERS 79
- 7.7 AUTOMATED DOOR SYSTEMS 80
- 7.8 ARCHITECTURAL GLASS MANUFACTURERS 81
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK COMMERCIAL GLAZING MARKET AND FORECASTS (£ BILLION AT INSTALLED PRICES) 2009 -2019 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2007 - 2014 21
- TABLE 7 UK MARKET FORECASTS FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2015 - 2019 22
- TABLE 8 PRICE INDICES OF DOOR & WINDOW MATERIALS 2009 - H1 2015 2010=100 24
- CHART 9 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING BY END USE SECTOR 28
- TABLE 10 UK EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 30
- CHART 11 ESTIMATED NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR - 2007-2017 32
- CHART 12 EDUCATION CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT AND FORECASTS (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019 33
- CHART 13 CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET - OFFICE TAKE UP BY PRINCIPAL AREA, Q2 2009 - Q2 2015 (MILLION SQ. FT) 35
- CHART 14 UK BUSINESS PARKS - AVERAGE TAKE-UP RATES (MILLION FT²) 2007-2014 36
- CHART 15 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT & FORECASTS IN THE COMMERCIAL OFFICE SECTOR BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 -2019 37
- CHART 16 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT & FORECASTS IN THE RETAIL SECTOR BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 -2019 39
- CHART 17 NUMBER OF FLATS BUILT IN ENGLAND 2003/04 -2014/15 42
- CHART 18 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2001-2014 42
- CHART 19 HEALTH CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019 45
- TABLE 20 HEALTHCARE PROJECTS - FORWARD CONSTRUCTION PIPELINE 2013-2021 - SCHEME TYPES, CAPITAL VALUES, STATUS, START/COMPLETION DATES ETC. 46
- CHART 21 UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - NUMBER OF ESTABLISHMENTS BY SECTOR GAMING, FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC 47
- CHART 22 LEISURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AND FORECASTS - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019 48
- CHART 23 FORECAST GROWTH FOR BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR BY NO. ROOMS 2011 - 2020 50
- CHART 24 NETWORK RAIL INVESTMENT IN NEW AND REFURBISHED BUILDINGS UNDER CP4 (2009 /10 TO 2013/14) & CP5 (2014/15 TO 2018 /19) 52
- CHART 25 INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH AND FORECASTS BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2009 - 2019 53
- TABLE 26 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY PRODUCT BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) 2014 54
- TABLE 27 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019 55
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL BY INSTALLED VALUE 2014 56
- TABLE 29 UK MARKET FOR GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 -2019 58
- TABLE 30 UK MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019 61
- CHART 31 UK CURTAIN WALL MARKET BY CONTRACT SIZE BY % OF INSTALLED VALUE 62
- TABLE 32 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL ROOF GLAZING BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2019 64
- CHART 33 COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTOR SELECTION PROCESS 65
- CHART 34 ALUMINIUM GLAZING SYSTEMS - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 68
- TABLE 35 PRINCIPAL EUROPEAN & OTHER FOREIGN BESPOKE COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTORS IN THE UK 77
The 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here or a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.