Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 22/12/2017 / Number of Pages: 76 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 10th edition of the 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides a detailed review of the key sectors of the market and includes commercial windows, ground floor treatments, curtain walling and roof glazing. This unique report provides both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the UK market overall and by major product group. It focuses on market size and future prospects, by value, key trends and drivers, leading suppliers, distribution structures, end use sectors etc.
Key issues covered:
- UK Commercial Glazing Market - size, recent trends, key influences, forecasts and future trends up to 2021.
- Analysis by Market Sector: Commercial Windows, Curtain Walling, Ground Floor Treatments & Roof Glazing - size, product mix within each sector, trends & influences.
- Market Structure - review of market structure, breakdown of market sectors with major players, company profiles and anticipated future developments.
- End Use Application Areas - analysis of key end use sectors for commercial glazing with growth opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Recovery in the private commercial sector driving market growth, particularly for offices.
- Product mix review - Commercial Windows, Curtain Walling, Ground Floor Treatments, Roof Glazing - market size and trends.
- Market prospects in 2017-18 and medium-term prospects to 2021.
- Complex supply structure in commercial glazing market with significant European presence in the bespoke façade and roof glazing sector.
- Further consolidation in key sectors of the supply chain: systems companies, UK fabricators/installers and European vertically integrated contractors.
Some of the companies included:
Allegion, Aluk GB, Alumet Systems, Assa Abloy Entrance Systems, AWS Group, Boon Edam UK, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, Charles Henshaw & Sons, Comar Architectural Aluminium Systems, Crittall Windows, Dane Architectural Systems, Dorma UK, Dortech Architectural Systems, Dudley's Architectural Aluminium (DAA), Duplus Architectural Systems, English Architectural Glazing, Eurocell Profiles UK, Federated Windows and Doors, Felix, Focchi, Geze UK, GIG Facades, Gilgen Door Systems UK, Glidevale, Guardian Industries UK, Hambleside Danelaw, Hansen Group, HW Architectural (HWA), Josef Gartner and Co UK, Kawneer UK, Kingspan Glassolutions, Lakesmere, Latium Group, LB Plastics, Lindner Facades, M Price, Mero-Schmidlin (UK), Metal Technology, Metallbau Früh UK, Norking Aluminium, Oskomera Facades UK, Permasteelisa UK, Pilkington Architectural, Pilkington Building Products, Prater, Red Architectural, Reynaers Ltd, Saint-Gobain Glass, Sapa Building Systems, Scheldebouw UK, Schneider GB, Schϋco International, Seele UK, Senior Architectural Systems Plc (SAS), Smart Systems and Smart Architectural Aluminium, Solaglass Contracting, Stoakes Systems, Structal UK, Ubbink (UK), VEKA UK Group, Waagner Biro, Xtralite, Yuanda UK.
- Market size by installed value - market development from 2012-2021.
- Recent market developments 2012-2016 and key influences e.g. construction activity levels, high-rise buildings, regulations, material price trends, design specifications.
- Forecasts 2018 - 2021 and key market factors influencing growth prospects -construction activity levels, regulations, material prices etc.
End Use Sector Mix
- Identification of key end-use markets & estimates of market mix in 2016-17: education, commercial offices, retail, healthcare, high-rise residential, leisure, transport.
- Education - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. BSF & Primary Capital Programme, trends in funding; identification of major long-term education construction programmes etc.
- Offices - recent trends in development and assessment of future demand; focus primarily on Central London plus major provincial cities and business park sector.
- Retail - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. High Street shopfront replacement, grocery multiple newbuild, retail warehouses and shopping malls etc.
- High-rise residential - analysis of trends towards high-rise accommodation, etc.
- Other markets - healthcare, hotels, transport, Defence Estates etc.
- Analysis of key product sectors- commercial windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments, roof glazing. Market sizes 2012-21, trends, key influences, key application areas etc.
- Market breakdown by product type & frame material, product sub-sectors & application areas - relative strengths of different frame materials.
- Market size & forecasts for 2018 - 2021 for each product sector.
- Impact of major trends in construction sector on particular market segments - variable market prospects.
- Prospects within each of the 4 product sectors up to 2021 - key factors influencing demand & future developments - key growth opportunities, specification influencers.
Supply and Distribution
- Analysis of aluminium, PVC-U & steel supply sectors - major suppliers, market positioning etc.
- Review of aluminium systems sector with profiles - key players, market shares, market positioning etc.
- Review of contracting sector with profiles on key players - market positioning.
- Review of major bespoke façade contractors including major projects undertaken and profiles on major operators
- Review of supply sectors for steel windows, manufactured rooflights, structural glazing & automated door systems.
The focus of this report is on external glazing, even though internal glazing is widely used in shopping malls, airports and railway station terminals. Therefore, within the context of this report, we have defined the four principal product groups within Commercial Glazing as commercial windows, curtain wall, ground floor treatments and roof glazing.
The market is heavily influenced by the health of private commercial sector construction, but with health and education also significant end use sectors. The market moved slowly out of recession 2013-14 stimulated by improvements in the Central London office construction sector, education, leisure and retail construction sectors. Mainly stimulated by growth in the office construction sector in 2015-16 the market for commercial glazing showed significant recovery for selected sub-sectors and RMI. By H2 2017, there were signs of a slowdown in growth as construction orders dried up across the office sector with investors cautious about the effects of Brexit, and retail, health and education construction output continuing to decline with the relief from growth in transport sectors and leisure markets.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 92.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT TRENDS 19
- 4.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 20
- 4.3.1 Major High Rise and/or Large Span Developments 22
- 4.3.2 Material Price Trends 22
- 4.3.3 Regulatory and Legislative Influences 23
- 5. PRODUCT SECTORS 26
- 5.1 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 26
- 5.1.1 Definition and Market Overview 26
- 5.1.2 Mix by Frame Material 28
- 5.2 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS 29
- 5.2.1 Definition 29
- 5.2.2 Market Overview 29
- 5.2.3 Product Mix 30
- 5.2.4 Product Mix 32
- 5.2.5 Sector Prospects 32
- 5.3 CURTAIN WALL (INCLUDING STRUCTURAL GLAZING) 33
- 5.3.1 Definition 33
- 5.3.2 Market Overview 34
- 5.3.3 Mix by Size of Contract 35
- 5.4 ROOF GLAZING 36
- 5.4.1 Definition 36
- 5.4.2 Market Overview 36
- 6. END USE SECTORS 39
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 39
- 6.2 EDUCATION 40
- 6.2.1 Sector Overview 40
- 6.3 COMMERCIAL OFFICES 43
- 6.3.1 Sector Overview 43
- 6.4 RETAIL 46
- 6.4.1 Sector Overview 46
- 6.5 HIGH RISE APARTMENT BLOCKS 49
- 6.5.1 Sector Overview 49
- 6.6 HEALTHCARE 51
- 6.6.1 Sector Overview 51
- 6.7 LEISURE 52
- 6.7.1 Sector Overview 52
- 6.8 TRANSPORT 54
- 6.8.1 Sector Overview 54
- 7. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 58
- 7.1 ALUMINIUM FRAMED GLAZING SYSTEMS 59
- 7.1.1 Aluminium Systems Companies 59
- 7.1.2 Aluminium Systems Fabricators 62
- 7.2 PVCU SYSTEMS 64
- 7.3 STRUCTURAL GLAZING 66
- 7.4 STEEL GLAZING SYSTEMS 66
- 7.5 BESPOKE/OWN-DESIGN 67
- 7.5.1 UK Companies 67
- 7.5.2 European & Other Non-UK Based Contractors 67
- 7.6 ROOFLIGHT MANUFACTURERS 70
- 7.7 AUTOMATED DOOR SYSTEMS 71
- 7.8 ARCHITECTURAL GLASS MANUFACTURERS 73
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK COMMERCIAL GLAZING MARKET AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT INSTALLED PRICES) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS 2012-2017 - BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 20
- TABLE 7: UK MARKET FORECASTS FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS 2017-2021 - BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 20
- TABLE 8: PRICE INDICES OF DOOR & WINDOW MATERIALS AND FLAT GLASS 2012 - Q3 2017 - (2010=100) 22
- TABLE 9: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY PRODUCT GROUP 2017 - BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) 26
- TABLE 10: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 2012-2021 BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 27
- CHART 11: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL 2017 % BY INSTALLED VALUE 28
- TABLE 12: UK MARKET FOR GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS (INCLUDING COMMERCIAL GLAZED ENTRANCES) 2012-2017 - BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 30
- CHART 13: GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS PRODUCT MIX (GLAZED DOORS, SHOP FRONTS, COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL 2017 - % BY INSTALLED VALUE 31
- TABLE 14: UK MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL GLAZING 2012-2021 - BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 34
- CHART 15: UK CURTAIN WALL MARKET BY CONTRACT SIZE 2017 - % BY INSTALLED VALUE 35
- TABLE 16: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR COMMERCIAL ROOF GLAZING 2012-2021 - BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 37
- CHART 17: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING BY END USE SECTOR 2017 - % BY VALUE 39
- TABLE 18: ENGLAND EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 40
- TABLE 19: SCOTLAND EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 2016 40
- TABLE 20: WALES EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 2016/17 40
- TABLE 21: UK NORTHERN IRELAND EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 41
- TABLE 22: UK EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 2016/17 41
- TABLE 23: HEFCE CAPITAL GRANTS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION BUILDING FACILITIES 2012/13 TO 2017/18 - VALUE (£M) 42
- CHART 24: EDUCATION NEW WORK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 42
- CHART 25: CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET TAKE UP BY PRINCIPAL AREA Q3 2012 TO Q3 2017 - BY AREA (MILLION SQUARE FEET) 44
- CHART 26: NEW WORK OFFICE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 45
- TABLE 27: RETAIL TURNOVER EXCLUDING AUTOMOTIVE FUEL GREAT BRITAIN 2010-2016 - BY VALUE (£BN) 47
- CHART 28: RETAIL CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 48
- CHART 29: NUMBER OF FLATS BUILT IN ENGLAND 2007/08 TO 2016/17 - BY VOLUME (UNITS) 49
- CHART 30: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND2007/08 TO 2016/17 - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 50
- CHART 31: HEALTH NEW WORK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 51
- CHART 32: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - NUMBER OF ESTABLISHMENTS BY SECTOR (GAMING, FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC) 52
- CHART 33: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT & LEISURE SECTOR (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 54
- CHART 34: NETWORK RAIL INVESTMENT IN NEW AND REFURBISHED BUILDINGS UNDER CP4 (2009/10 - 2013/14) & CP5 (2014/15 - 2018/19) 56
- CHART 35: INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 57
- CHART 36: COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTOR SELECTION PROCESS 58
- CHART 37: ALUMINIUM GLAZING SYSTEMS - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 60
- TABLE 38: PRINCIPAL EUROPEAN AND OTHER NON-UK BASED BESPOKE COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTORS IN THE UK 68
- TABLE 39: UK MANUFACTURE TOUGHENED, LAMINATED & MULTI-WALLED FLAT GLASS 2010-2016 - BY VALUE £M 73
- TABLE 40: UK INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN SELECTED CONSTRUCTION FLAT GLASS* 2010-2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 74
The 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here or a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.