Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 22/12/2017 / Number of Pages: 76 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 10th edition of the 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides a detailed review of the key sectors of the market and includes commercial windows, ground floor treatments, curtain walling and roof glazing. This unique report provides both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the UK market overall and by major product group. It focuses on market size and future prospects, by value, key trends and drivers, leading suppliers, distribution structures, end use sectors etc.
Key issues covered:
- UK Commercial Glazing Market - size, recent trends, key influences, forecasts and future trends up to 2021.
- Analysis by Market Sector: Commercial Windows, Curtain Walling, Ground Floor Treatments & Roof Glazing - size, product mix within each sector, trends & influences.
- Market Structure - review of market structure, breakdown of market sectors with major players, company profiles and anticipated future developments.
- End Use Application Areas - analysis of key end use sectors for commercial glazing with growth opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Recovery in the private commercial sector driving market growth, particularly for offices.
- Product mix review - Commercial Windows, Curtain Walling, Ground Floor Treatments, Roof Glazing - market size and trends.
- Market prospects in 2017-18 and medium-term prospects to 2021.
- Complex supply structure in commercial glazing market with significant European presence in the bespoke façade and roof glazing sector.
- Further consolidation in key sectors of the supply chain: systems companies, UK fabricators/installers and European vertically integrated contractors.
Some of the companies included:
Allegion, Aluk GB, Alumet Systems, Assa Abloy Entrance Systems, AWS Group, Boon Edam UK, Brett Martin Daylight Systems, Charles Henshaw & Sons, Comar Architectural Aluminium Systems, Crittall Windows, Dane Architectural Systems, Dorma UK, Dortech Architectural Systems, Dudley's Architectural Aluminium (DAA), Duplus Architectural Systems, English Architectural Glazing, Eurocell Profiles UK, Federated Windows and Doors, Felix, Focchi, Geze UK, GIG Facades, Gilgen Door Systems UK, Glidevale, Guardian Industries UK, Hambleside Danelaw, Hansen Group, HW Architectural (HWA), Josef Gartner and Co UK, Kawneer UK, Kingspan Glassolutions, Lakesmere, Latium Group, LB Plastics, Lindner Facades, M Price, Mero-Schmidlin (UK), Metal Technology, Metallbau Früh UK, Norking Aluminium, Oskomera Facades UK, Permasteelisa UK, Pilkington Architectural, Pilkington Building Products, Prater, Red Architectural, Reynaers Ltd, Saint-Gobain Glass, Sapa Building Systems, Scheldebouw UK, Schneider GB, Schϋco International, Seele UK, Senior Architectural Systems Plc (SAS), Smart Systems and Smart Architectural Aluminium, Solaglass Contracting, Stoakes Systems, Structal UK, Ubbink (UK), VEKA UK Group, Waagner Biro, Xtralite, Yuanda UK.
- Market size by installed value - market development from 2012-2021.
- Recent market developments 2012-2016 and key influences e.g. construction activity levels, high-rise buildings, regulations, material price trends, design specifications.
- Forecasts 2018 - 2021 and key market factors influencing growth prospects -construction activity levels, regulations, material prices etc.
End Use Sector Mix
- Identification of key end-use markets & estimates of market mix in 2016-17: education, commercial offices, retail, healthcare, high-rise residential, leisure, transport.
- Education - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. BSF & Primary Capital Programme, trends in funding; identification of major long-term education construction programmes etc.
- Offices - recent trends in development and assessment of future demand; focus primarily on Central London plus major provincial cities and business park sector.
- Retail - assessment of key areas of demand for commercial glazing i.e. High Street shopfront replacement, grocery multiple newbuild, retail warehouses and shopping malls etc.
- High-rise residential - analysis of trends towards high-rise accommodation, etc.
- Other markets - healthcare, hotels, transport, Defence Estates etc.
- Analysis of key product sectors- commercial windows, curtain walling, ground floor treatments, roof glazing. Market sizes 2012-21, trends, key influences, key application areas etc.
- Market breakdown by product type & frame material, product sub-sectors & application areas - relative strengths of different frame materials.
- Market size & forecasts for 2018 - 2021 for each product sector.
- Impact of major trends in construction sector on particular market segments - variable market prospects.
- Prospects within each of the 4 product sectors up to 2021 - key factors influencing demand & future developments - key growth opportunities, specification influencers.
Supply and Distribution
- Analysis of aluminium, PVC-U & steel supply sectors - major suppliers, market positioning etc.
- Review of aluminium systems sector with profiles - key players, market shares, market positioning etc.
- Review of contracting sector with profiles on key players - market positioning.
- Review of major bespoke façade contractors including major projects undertaken and profiles on major operators
- Review of supply sectors for steel windows, manufactured rooflights, structural glazing & automated door systems.
The focus of this report is on external glazing, even though internal glazing is widely used in shopping malls, airports and railway station terminals. Therefore, within the context of this report, we have defined the four principal product groups within Commercial Glazing as commercial windows, curtain wall, ground floor treatments and roof glazing.
The market is heavily influenced by the health of private commercial sector construction, but with health and education also significant end use sectors. The market moved slowly out of recession 2013-14 stimulated by improvements in the Central London office construction sector, education, leisure and retail construction sectors. Mainly stimulated by growth in the office construction sector in 2015-16 the market for commercial glazing showed significant recovery for selected sub-sectors and RMI. By H2 2017, there were signs of a slowdown in growth as construction orders dried up across the office sector with investors cautious about the effects of Brexit, and retail, health and education construction output continuing to decline with the relief from growth in transport sectors and leisure markets.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 8
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 8
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 8
- 2. SUMMARY 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. THE MARKET 20
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT TRENDS 21
- 4.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 22
- 4.3.1 Major High Rise and / or Large Span Developments 2
- 44.3.2 Material Price Trends 24
- 4.3.3 Regulatory and Legislative Influences 25
- 5. PRODUCT SECTORS 29
- 5.1 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 29
- 5.1.1 Definition 29
- 5.1.2 Market Overview 29
- 5.2 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS 32
- 5.2.1 Definition 32
- 5.2.2 Market Overview 32
- 5.3 CURTAIN WALL (INCLUDING STRUCTURAL GLAZING) 35
- 5.3.1 Definition 35
- 5.3.2 Market Overview 35
- 5.4 ROOF GLAZING 37
- 5.4.1 Definition 37
- 5.4.2 Market Overview 38
- 6. END USE SECTORS 41
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 41
- 6.2 EDUCATION 42
- 6.2.1 Sector Overview 42
- 6.3 COMMERCIAL OFFICES 46
- 6.3.1 Sector Overview 46
- 6.4 RETAIL 49
- 6.4.1 Sector Overview 49
- 6.5 HIGH RISE APARTMENT BLOCKS 52
- 6.5.1 Sector Overview 52
- 6.6 HEALTHCARE 54
- 6.6.1 Sector Overview 5
- 46.7 LEISURE 56
- 6.7.1 Sector Overview 56
- 6.8 TRANSPORT 5
- 86.8.1 Sector Overview 58
- 7. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 62
- 7.1 ALUMINIUM FRAMED GLAZING SYSTEMS 63
- 7.1.1 Aluminium Systems Companies 63
- 7.1.2 Aluminium Systems Fabricators 66
- 7.2 PVCU SYSTEMS 68
- 7.3 STRUCTURAL GLAZING 70
- 7.4 STEEL GLAZING SYSTEMS 70
- 7.5 BESPOKE/OWN-DESIGN 71
- 7.5.1 UK Companies 71
- 7.5.2 European & Other Foreign Contractors 71
- 7.6 ROOFLIGHT MANUFACTURERS 74
- 7.7 AUTOMATED DOOR SYSTEMS 75
- 7.8 ARCHITECTURAL GLASS MANUFACTURERS 77
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK COMMERCIAL GLAZING MARKET AND FORECASTS (£ BILLION AT INSTALLED PRICES) 2011 -2021 10
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2009 - 2016 22
- TABLE 7: UK MARKET FORECASTS FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2017 - 2021 23
- TABLE 8: PRICE INDICES OF DOOR & WINDOW MATERIALS AND FLAT GLASS 2011 - Q3 2017 2010=100 25
- TABLE 9: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING SYSTEMS BY PRODUCT BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) 2016 29
- TABLE 10: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY INSTALLED VALUE (£BN) AT CURRENT PRICES 2011 - 2021 30
- CHART 11: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL BY INSTALLED VALUE 2016 31
- TABLE 12: UK MARKET FOR GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS (INCLUDING COMMERCIAL GLAZED ENTRANCES) BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2011 -2021 33
- TABLE 13: UK MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL GLAZING BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2011 - 2021 36
- CHART 14: UK CURTAIN WALL MARKET BY CONTRACT SIZE BY % OF INSTALLED VALUE 37
- TABLE 15: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL ROOF GLAZING BY INSTALLED VALUE (£M) AT CURRENT PRICES 2011 - 2021 39
- CHART 16: UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL GLAZING BY END USE SECTOR 41
- TABLE 17: UK EDUCATION ESTABLISHMENTS BY TYPE AND NUMBER 43
- CHART 18: HEFCE CAPITAL GRANTS FOR HIGHER EDUCATION BUILDING FACILITIES 2012/13-2017/18 - (£M) 44
- CHART 19: EDUCATION NEW WORK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 45
- CHART 20: CENTRAL LONDON OFFICE MARKET TAKE UP BY PRINCIPAL AREA Q3 2012 TO Q3 2017 - BY AREA (MILLION SQUARE FEET) 47
- CHART 21: NEW WORK OFFICE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 48
- TABLE 22: RETAIL TURNOVER EXCLUDING AUTOMOTIVE FUEL GREAT BRITAIN 2010-2016 - £BN 50
- CHART 23: RETAIL CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 51
- CHART 24: NUMBER OF FLATS BUILT IN ENGLAND 2003/04 -2016/17 (1,000 UNITS) 53
- CHART 25: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2003/04-2016/17 53
- CHART 26: HEALTH NEW WORK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 55
- CHART 27: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - NUMBER OF ESTABLISHMENTS BY SECTOR GAMING, FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC 56
- CHART 28: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT & LEISURE SECTOR (GB) 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 58
- CHART 29: NETWORK RAIL INVESTMENT IN NEW AND REFURBISHED BUILDINGS UNDER CP4 (2009/10 - 2013/14) & CP5 (2014/15 - 2018- /19) 60
- CHART 30: INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT 2012-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 61
- CHART 31: COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTOR SELECTION PROCESS 62
- CHART 32: ALUMINIUM GLAZING SYSTEMS - ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 64
- TABLE 33: PRINCIPAL EUROPEAN & OTHER FOREIGN BESPOKE COMMERCIAL GLAZING CONTRACTORS IN THE UK 72
- TABLE 34: UK MANUFACTURE TOUGHENED, LAMINATED & MULTI-WALLED FLAT GLASS -£M 77
- TABLE 35: UK IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF SELECTED CONSTRUCTION FLAT GLASS*, 2010-2016 VALUE £M 78
The 'Commercial Glazing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here or a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.