Domestic Conservatory & Glazed Extension Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 21/12/2018 / Number of Pages: 72 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 14th Edition of the 'Domestic Conservatories and Glazed Extensions Market Report - UK 2018-2022' reviews changes in the conservatory and glazed extension market in domestic applications, assessing how the sector has evolved in terms of a wider range of more bespoke designs (conservatories, orangeries etc), colour options, bifold doors, higher insulation standards etc. This report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in the industry or considering entry.
Key issues analysed:
- Market size - volumes, values, trends, forecasts.
- Product mix- colours, styles and designs
- Frame materials - share by PVCu, aluminium, timber - trends, forecasts.
- Supply and distribution - key suppliers, channel shares, etc.
- Market prospects - forecasts for key market, product supply and distribution trends to 2022.
Key areas of insight include:
- The development of the market and review of market performance 2013-2018.
- Increasing importance for the role of RMI - trend toward replacing conservatory elements - eg roofs, doors etc.
- Product developments - recent trends and future changes - trend towards diversification of styles, orangeries, loggias - glazed/solid roofs etc.
- Market prospects - short and medium term prospects up to 2022 -prospects for the medium term, growth of Internet.
- Overview of sector including related fittings and accessories - flooring, blinds, underfloor heating etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic conservatory & glazed extensions market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Anglian, Everest, The Kairos Group, Safestyle, Synseal, Ultraframe, Guardian Warm Roof, SupaLite, Atlas, NW Rooftech, Modplan, Veka, Deceuninck, Rehau, Eurocell, etc.
- Market size by value - market developments from 2013-18, analysis and forecast of market trends 2018-2022.
- Conservatory market by volume - rapid growth in mid-late 1990s, market conditions from 2013-2018, forecasts through to 2022.
- Market sizes by product and material usage - changing mix between PVCu, Timber & Aluminum 2002-2018, strengths and weaknesses of different product/market sectors. Future prospects for material usage up to 2022.
- Market penetration levels - current household ownership levels and future developments - saturation levels and limiting factors on long term growth.
- Design changes - growth of bespoke designs /orangeries etc, Planning/Building Regulations. Share mix changes between Lean-To, Edwardian/Georgian, Victorian, Orangeries, Loggias, Garden Rooms etc.
- Analysis of conservatory accessory market sectors including flooring, window coverings/blinds, underfloor heating etc. - market sizes 2013-18, trends by sector, impact of conservatory market.
Distribution and Supply
- Major suppliers - market shares of leading suppliers, market structure, profiles of major players, strengths and weaknesses. Roofing systems suppliers.
- Channels of Distribution - Sales of products by channels of distribution (Garden Centres, Direct Sell Companies, Internet, Conservatory Specialists, Builders etc). Areas of specialisation and analysis of changes.
- Distribution Channel Shares - by volume and value. Growth of Specialists and Internet.
- New build as a market sector - recent trends, changing housing market, longer term potential.
- Distribution structure for PVCu, Aluminum & Timber Conservatories - major differences between material and distribution channel.
- Future prospects for major channels - including analysis of changes in market structure in recent years.
- Review of major suppliers in all product sectors - major groups, leading companies, specialist suppliers. Company overview, key products, sectors and financial information.
- Review of distribution structure illustrating direct supply and key channels including major companies operating in each channel and supply routes for fire resistant glass, ceilings and partitions.
- Company overview and financials for key distributors.
In terms of market definition, the 'conservatory' market has evolved in recent years to include a wider range of 'glazed extensions', including orangeries, verandas, loggias, hybrids, etc, which are all incorporated within the context of this report - and we will use the term 'conservatory' in a generic sense to include all types of glazed extensions.
The UK conservatory market has experienced cyclic periods of modest growth and decline in domestic markets over the past 40-50 years influenced by consumer spending habits, technical and material changes in conservatories and perceptions of the role of the conservatory in lifestyle changes. In addition, other influences such as the financial crisis, building and planning regulations, distribution and consumer confidence have affected demand.
In 2018, the market offers many options for domestic projects including conservatories, glazed extensions which might have a solid or a glass roof, orangeries, verandas, loggias, hybrids, etc. RMI is a more important factor within the market as homeowners replace conservatories and glazed extensions with higher efficiency roofs and windows/doors, and other higher specification products such as bi-fold doors. RMI has developed significantly over the last 5 years and accounts for a growing value share of the conservatory market.
Market improvement in 2019 and beyond is likely to be driven by levels of house moving/home extension building, consumer confidence and growth in the retrofit/upgrade market - particularly if interest rates continue to remain at very low levels.
However, the future economic landscape is tempered by the uncertainty surrounding the commencement and potential effects of Brexit - these are more likely to be felt during 2019-21 and onwards as negotiations and changes in trade are affected and consumer confidence is affected.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. MARKET STRUCTURE 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.2.1 Background 19
- 4.2.2 Overall Market by Value 20
- 4.2.3 New Build and RMI 20
- 4.2.4 Current Trends and Future Growth 21
- 4.3 MARKET VOLUMES 23
- 4.3.1 Background 23
- 4.4 MARKET TRENDS 25
- 4.4.1 Planning Permission and Building Regulations 27
- 4.4.2 Trade Associations and Approvals 29
- 4.5 CONSERVATORIES AND ENERGY USE 30
- 4.6 MATERIAL PRICE TRENDS 30
- 4.7 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP LEVELS 31
- 4.8 NEW HOUSEBUILDING AND PROPERTY CONVERSIONS 32
- 4.8.1 New Housebuilding 32
- 4.8.2 Property Conversions 34
- 5. PRODUCTS 36
- 5.1 PRODUCT TRENDS 36
- 5.2 FRAME MATERIALS AND GLAZING 37
- 5.2.1 Sustainability and Frame Materials 38
- 5.3 ROOF SYSTEMS 39
- 5.3.1 Polycarbonate Sheets 40
- 5.3.2 High Specification Glass 40
- 5.3.3 Solid Roofs 41
- 5.3.4 Other Developments 43
- 5.4 CONSERVATORY STYLES AND DESIGNS 43
- 5.5 OTHER RELATED PRODUCTS 45
- 5.5.1 Floor and Wall Tiles 45
- 5.5.2 Heating Systems 48
- 5.5.3 Blinds 49
- 5.5.4 Others 52
- 6. SUPPLIERS 53
- 6.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 53
- 6.2 MARKET SHARES 53
- 6.3 COMPANY PROFILES 54
- 6.3.1 Manufacturers 54
- 6.3.2 Retail Glazing Companies 54
- 6.3.3 Door, Window and Conservatory Companies 58
- 6.3.4 Specialist Roofing Systems Suppliers 60
- 6.3.5 Window Profile Suppliers 61
- 7. CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 64
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 64
- 7.2 GARDEN CENTRES 69
- 7.3 REPLACEMENT WINDOW COMPANIES 70
- 7.4 DIY MULTIPLES 70
- 7.5 DIRECT SELL CONSERVATORY SPECIALISTS 71
- 7.6 BUILDERS AND OTHERS 72
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY/GLAZED EXTENSIONS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2013 TO 2022 -BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6: UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY/GLAZED EXTENSIONS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2013 -2022 -BY VALUE (£M RSP) 20
- CHART 7: UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY/GLAZED EXTENSIONS MARKET SIZE NEW BUILD AND RMI INSTALLATIONS 2013 TO 2018 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 21
- TABLE 8: DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY & GLAZED EXTENSIONS MARKET 2013 -2022 NEW & REPLACEMENT BY VOLUME 24
- TABLE 9: AVERAGE PRICE INDICES OF DOOR & WINDOW MATERIALS AND FLAT GLASS 2012 TO 2018 - INDEX WHERE 2010=100 31
- CHART 10: HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP LEVELS OF CONSERVATORIES 1990 TO 2018 - % OF HOUSEHOLDS 32
- CHART 11: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND BY MIX OF HOUSES/FLATS FINANCIAL YEARS 2010/11 TO 2017/18 - % BY VOLUME 33
- CHART 12: ENGLAND FLATS CONSTRUCTION VS FLATS CONVERSIONS 2011/12 TO 2016/17 - NUMBER OF LEGAL COMPLETIONS 34
- TABLE 13: FRAME MATERIAL USAGE (ALUMINIUM, PVCU, TIMBER) 1992 TO 2018 - % BY VOLUME 37
- CHART 14: CONSERVATORY STYLES (VICTORIAN, LEAN-TO'S, ORANGERIES/GLAZED EXTENSIONS ETC) 2018 - % SHARE BY VOLUME 44
- CHART 15: UK TILES MARKET (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE AND OTHERS) AND FORECASTS 2013-2018 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 46
- CHART 16: UK FLOOR TILES MARKET PRODUCT MIX (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE AND OTHERS) 2018 - % BY VALUE 47
- CHART 17: UK COMMERCIAL AND DOMESTIC UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET BY VALUE 2013 TO 2018 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 49
- CHART 18: UK DOMESTIC BLINDS MARKET AND ESTIMATES 2013 TO 2018 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 50
- CHART 19: UK BLINDS MARKET MIX BY END USE APPLICATION (WINDOWS, CONSERVATORIES, DOOR/ROOFLIGHTS/SKYLIGHTS) 2007 TO 2017 - % BY VALUE 51
- TABLE 20: UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET OVERALL LEADING SUPPLIERS 2018 - SHARE BY VALUE 54
- CHART 21: UK REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW RETAIL SHARES 2018 - % BY VALUE 55
- TABLE 22: RETAIL GLAZING SECTOR MARKET SHARES 2018 -% BY VALUE 56
- TABLE 23: UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 2001 TO 2018 - % SHARE BY VOLUME 64
- CHART 24: UK MARKET DOMESTIC CONSERVATORIES MAIN CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 2018 - % BY VALUE 65
- CHART 25: DISTRIBUTION OF TIMBER CONSERVATORIES 67
- CHART 26: DISTRIBUTION OF PVCU CONSERVATORIES 68
The 'Domestic Conservatory & Glazed Extension Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.