Construction Equipment Rental Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 19/08/2015 / Number of Pages: 101 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 5th edition of the report 'Construction Equipment Rental Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This report incorporates original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and perceptive review of the market and its development.
Key areas covered:
- Construction Equipment Rental market - market size and trends 2009-19.
- Review of hire companies - market share, turnover, branches etc.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, trends, key sectors and suppliers in each product area.
- Product areas analysed - earth moving, lifting, skips and rubbish chutes, access equipment, hand and power tools, portable buildings and environmental, pumping, crushing and screening plant, road making, primary construction equipment, concreting and compacting, transport, sweepers, bowsers and washing stations, generators and compressors, gardening and landscaping equipment, lighting, welding and power, cleaning and floor preparation and ancillary hire products.
- Future prospects - to 2019.
Key areas of insight include:
- Key trends and market influencing factors 2012-2015.
- Forecasts of performance of the UK Construction Equipment Rental Market, 2015-2019.
- Product sector review - analysis of hire market by product group (as above).
- Review of major rental companies - plant hire, tool hire, specialists - key players, shares etc.
- Major equipment/machinery/suppliers by hire sector product group.
- Review of hire product sectors by type of hire company - e.g. Plant Hire, Tool Hire, Specialist and 'Other'.
- Detailed market data and insight on the construction equipment rental market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
AB 2000, Aggreko, Ainscough Crane Hire, Andrews Sykes Group, Ashtead Group, Beck and Pollitzer Engineering, Biffa Waste, Bradford's Building Supplies, Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services, Brandon Hire, Briggs Equipment, Carrier Rental Systems, Elliott Group, Finning UK, Gap Group, Garic, HE Services (Plant Hire), Hewden Stuart, HSS Hire Service Group, Jewson, Lavendon Group, Liebherr-Rental, Mabey Hire, Selwood, Sita UK, Skip Hire UK, Smiths (Gloucester), Speedy Hire, Supply UK Hire Shops, The Turner Group, Travis Perkins, TXM Plant, VP, Weldex (International) Offshore, Wernick.
The Hire Market
- Market definition in terms of type of outlets, range of products and type of hire company.
- Market trends 2009-2015. Factors influencing market development (levels of construction activity, infrastructure developments, waste management & environmental factors, legislation, events, growth of offsite manufacturing, impact of hire rates & periods).
- Forecasts of market size up to 2019.
- Future prospects for hire market - impact of construction and non-construction activity, fleet regeneration & expansion. Key sectors - domestic and non-domestic construction e.g. offices, infrastructure (including transport and utilities), waste management etc.
Construction Equipment Hire Companies
- Market shares of major hire companies - major players, market consolidation, increasing shares through acquisitions and organic growth.
- Review of major hire companies - turnover, branches, areas of specialisation etc.
- Competitive structure - plant hire, tool hire, and specialist companies.
- Review of key specialists - earth moving, low loaders, materials handlers, cranes, skips, powered access, non-mechanical access, tools, pumps, road making, formwork/falsework/propping/shoring, piles & pile driving, tunneling, tippers, sweepers, bowsers, generators, compressors, portable buildings, washing stations, etc.
Products / Suppliers
- Market size and analysis by product group:
- Earth-moving - excavators, loading shovels, dump trucks and site dumpers
- Lifting - cranes, material handling, telehandlers, etc.
- Skips and rubbish chutes.
- Access Equipment Hire - powered access, scaffolding, access towers, ladders, mast climbers and suspended access.
- Hand and power tools - breaking & drilling, cutting & grinding, carpentry & woodworking, plumbing equipment.
- Portable buildings and environmental hire - including heating, cooling, drying equipment).
- Pumping, crushing and screening plant - concrete pumps & concrete mixers, pumps, crushing & screening plant
- Road making - rollers, planers, pavers, hot boxes, trenchers, etc.
- Generators and compressors.
- Gardening and landscaping equipment.
- Primary construction equipment - formwork, falsework, propping, shoring, piles & pile driving equipment, tunnelling equipment.
- Transport (tippers, low loaders), sweepers, bowsers, washing stations.
- Lighting, welding and power - 'small' products.
- Cleaning and floor preparation - washers, floor finishing equipment, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- Concreting and compacting - floor grinding machines, screeding equipment, etc.
- Ancillary hire products - lifting & materials handling gear, site & general building equipment, surveying/instrumentation, 'other', etc.
- Product mix within major product groups - analysis by major sectors, share by sector, key trends, new product developments etc.
- Product trends by product group - growth sectors, areas of specialisation, etc.
- Review of hire product sectors by type of hire company - plant hire, tool hire and specialist.
- Major equipment/machinery suppliers by hire sector product group.
- Construction and manufacturing trends, waste management, pre-fabricated buildings, growth of offsite manufacturing, etc.
- Key construction sectors -housing, offices, infrastructure, etc.
- Impact of key projects - Crossrail, renewable energy programmes etc.
- Future developments, implications for hire companies. Economic influences, future growth prospects for hire market in 2015 and through to 2019.
The UK construction equipment rental industry is extremely competitive with players ranging from national equipment rental companies to local independents operating in the market. Companies range widely in terms of geographical coverage, financial resources, brand recognition and equipment offered, with some companies more reliant on construction whereas other companies have developed more diverse markets, such as manufacturing, recycling and events. The market saw an increase of around 9% compared to the previous year, but remains lower than at its peak in 2007.
There is a heavy dependence on hire demand from the construction sectors, but demand for each type of equipment varies, reflecting the performance of the end-use sectors requiring the equipment: e.g. planers, pavers and rollers depend on the level of highway activity; forklifts depend upon the level of distribution & warehouse activity; and small tools for 'fitting out' etc. The overall market was relatively flat and only experienced modest growth for the period 2010-2013, but the market value increased significantly in 2014 due to improvements in both housing and non-domestic building markets as well as manufacturing and other non-construction end-use sectors.
Hire rates fell at the start of the downturn, but market improvement has allowed rates to rise in recent years, although some sectors, such as cranes, have only really seen a noticeable improvement in 2014. Infrastructure has provided significant hire demand including rail projects such as Crossrail, road repairs & maintenance, and utilities work, and other key end-use sectors include housebuilding, offices, industrial and non-construction sectors such as manufacturing, waste management and events.
Earth moving equipment represents the largest equipment sector, accounting for over 20% of hire value. Other key sectors include lifting, skips & rubbish chutes, access equipment, portable buildings & environmental control and hand & power tools. This is a relatively fragmented market, reflecting the high number of specialist operators with different competitors in different hire product sectors. The market continues to consolidate, with the top 4 companies accounting for around 30% of the market.
Current prospects for the construction equipment rental market into the medium-term remain cautiously optimistic with the market forecast to grow to around £5bn by 2019. Future growth rates are heavily dependent upon the underlying performance in key application areas. The hire versus buy issue will continue to impact on the equipment rental sector. It is possible that some contractors will switch back to buying equipment, rather than hiring, in the future. Health & safety and environmental legislation are also likely to continue to impact positively on a range of hire sectors.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET STRUCTURE 22
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE 24
- 4.3.1 Recent Performance 24
- 4.3.2 Future Prospects 28
- 4.4. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 33
- 4.4.1 Non-domestic Construction 34
- 4.4.2 Housebuilding 40
- 4.4.3 Non-construction 42
- 4.4.4 Legislation 45
- 5. CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL COMPANIES 47
- 5.1 MARKET STRUCTURE 47
- 5.2 COMPANY SHARES 49
- 5.3 COMPANY PROFILES 50
- 5.4 PLANT HIRE, TOOL HIRE, SPECIALIST & OTHERS BY PRODUCT SECTOR 55
- 6. PRODUCTS 57
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 57
- 6.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 58
- 6.2.1 Earth Moving Equipment 59
- 6.2.2 Lifting Plant 63
- 6.2.3 Skips & Rubbish Chutes 66
- 6.2.4 Access Equipment 67
- 6.2.5 Hand and Power Tools 73
- 6.2.6 Portable Buildings and Environmental Hire Products 75
- 6.2.7 Pumping, Crushing and Screening Plant 79
- 6.2.8 Road-Making Equipment 81
- 6.2.9 Primary Construction Equipment 83
- 6.2.10 Transport, Sweepers, Bowsers, Washing Stations 87
- 6.2.11 Generators and Compressors 89
- 6.2.12 Gardening and Landscaping Equipment 92
- 6.2.13 Lighting, Welding and Small Power 94
- 6.2.14 Cleaning and Floor Preparation 96
- 6.2.15 Concreting and Compacting 98
- 6.2.16 Ancillary Hire Products 99
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET 2009-2019 (£M) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- CHART 6 CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 23
- TABLE 7 UK CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2009-2014 24
- TABLE 8 UK CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014-2019 28
- TABLE 9 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT SECTOR ANALYSIS 2014 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 32
- CHART 10 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 34
- TABLE 11 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK SECTOR MIX 2009 TO 2019 - % BY VALUE 35
- CHART 12 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION RMI OUTPUT MIX 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 36
- CHART 13 UK WALL CLADDING MARKET BY AREA INSTALLED (M SQM) 2009-2014 37
- CHART 14 VALUE OF ROAD & RAIL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2008-2014 (£ BILLION) 38
- CHART 15 UTILITIES MARKET GB CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 39
- CHART 16 OVERVIEW OF KEY END-USE SECTORS IN INFRASTRUCTURE EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET - 2014 40
- CHART 17 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2009 TO 2019 - UNITED KINGDOM ('000) 41
- CHART 18 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2001-2014 42
- TABLE 19 UK MARKET SIZE FOR THE CONTROLLED WASTE MANAGEMENT SECTOR BY VALUE (£MILLION) 2008 -2018 43
- CHART 20 NUMBER AND RATE OF FATAL INJURIES TO WORKERS IN CONSTRUCTION 2004-2014 46
- TABLE 21 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR UK CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT HIRE OPERATORS - 2014 49
- TABLE 22 ESTIMATED SHARES BY TYPE OF HIRE COMPANY (PLANT, TOOL, SPECIALISTS) BY HIRE PRODUCT SECTORS (EARTH MOVING, LIFTING, ACCESS ETC) - 2014 55
- TABLE 23 OVERALL CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT RENTAL MARKET PRODUCT MIX AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) - 2014 58
- TABLE 24 HIRE MARKET FOR EARTH MOVING PRODUCTS (EXCAVATORS, LOADING SHOVELS, DUMP TRUCKS, OTHERS) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 59
- TABLE 25 HIRE MARKET FOR LIFTING PLANT (MATERIALS HANDLING, CRANES) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 63
- TABLE 26 HIRE MARKET FOR SKIPS & RUBBISH CHUTES AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 66
- TABLE 27 HIRE MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT (POWERED, SCAFFOLDING, TOWERS, LADDERS ETC) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 68
- CHART 28 UK MEWP MARKET 2013 (SCISSORS, BOOMS. TRAILER MOUNTED, VEHICLE MOUNTED ETC) - MIX BY VOLUME 69
- TABLE 29 HIRE MARKET FOR HAND AND POWER TOOLS (DRILLING/BREAKING, CUTTING/GRINDING, CARPENTRY, PLUMBING, OTHERS) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE - 2014 74
- TABLE 30 HIRE MARKET FOR PORTABLE BUILDINGS AND ENVIRONMENTAL AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 75
- CHART 31 UK MARKET FOR HEATING, DRYING & COOLING 2014 AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 78
- TABLE 32 HIRE MARKET FOR PUMPING, CRUSHING AND SCREENING PLANT AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 79
- TABLE 33 HIRE MARKET FOR ROAD MAKING PRODUCTS (ROLLERS, PLANERS/PAVERS, OTHERS) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 81
- TABLE 34 HIRE MARKET FOR PRIMARY CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT (FORMWORK, PILES/DRIVING, TUNNELLING) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 84
- TABLE 35 HIRE MARKET FOR TRANSPORT, SWEEPERS, BOWSERS, WASHING STATIONS AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 87
- TABLE 36 HIRE MARKET FOR GENERATORS, COMPRESSORS, ETC AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 90
- TABLE 37 HIRE MARKET FOR GARDENING AND LANDSCAPING EQUIPMENT £M AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014 93
- TABLE 38 HIRE MARKET FOR SMALL GENERATORS AND ASSOCIATED LIGHTING, WELDING & POWER AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2014 94
- TABLE 39 HIRE MARKET FOR CLEANING AND FLOOR PREPARATION (WASHERS, FLOOR FINISHING, CLEANERS ETC) AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014 96
- CHART 40 HIRE MARKET FOR CONCRETING/COMPACTING (PLATE COMPACTORS, SCREEDING, CONCRETE, ROLLERS ETC) AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014 (£M) 98
- TABLE 41 HIRE MARKET FOR ANCILLARY HIRE PRODUCTS (LIFTING GEAR, SITE EQUIPMENT ETC) AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2014 100
The 'Construction Equipment Rental Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.