Decorators' Merchant Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis
Published: 27/02/2013 / Number of Pages: 73 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the first edition of the report 'Decorators' Merchant Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis'. The report provides an informed and up-to-date review of this market and, with over 65 pages, includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years.
Key issues covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the trade centres market structure and recent developments in the market.
- Forecast market developments to 2017.
- Detailed information - market size, influencing market factors, key players and decorators' merchant customers.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix, sector trends and merchants' market share.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market size and a comprehensive review of key factors and trends influencing the market - impact of construction trends, economic environment, consumer expenditure and purchasing trends etc.
- Market performance forecast in 2013 and through to 2017 - construction forecasts by key end-use market, expansion and development of merchant activities.
- Review of leading national players and other important market players.
- Product group analysis - market sizes, influences, trends and merchants' shares.
- Identification of key customer groups in merchants' market - fluctuating fortunes of merchants and DIY multiples during the recent turbulent trading conditions.
- Review of market structure - supply chain analysis for lightside product distribution.
Some of the companies included:
Agwoodcare.co.uk, Akzo Nobel Group, Bromborough Paint & Building Supplies, C. Brewers & Sons, Cambrian Decorators Supplies, Cemco, Chesham Colour Supplies, Crown Paints, Decorating Direct, Decorating Warehouse, Grant & Stone, H & B Group, Merritt & Fryers, O'Neills Decorating Centres, PPG Architectural Coatings UK, Rabart Decorators Merchants, S J Dixon & Son, Screwfix Direct , Selectwallpaper.co.uk, South Lakeland Paints, South London Decorators Merchants, Stax Trade Centres, Stockton Decorators Merchants, The National Merchant Buying Society, United Merchants, Whites Trade Supplies.
The Decorators' Merchants
- Leading national decorators' merchants - turnover, company structure, review of recent performance, market share.
- Regional decorators' merchants - identification of key players, turnover, company overview.
- Decorators' merchant characteristics - products ranges, pricing, customers.
- Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the merchant sector.
The Decorators' Merchant Market
- The decorators' merchant market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by value from 2007-2012, trends and forecasts to 2016.
- Distribution structure and assessment of the channels involved in the paint and wallcoverings sector.
- Market trends and major factors influencing market development.
- Product pricing trends in the industry.
- Decorators' merchant share of the paint and wallcoverings market and how this has changed in recent years.
Products and Suppliers in the Merchant Market
- Product groups reviewed: Paint including emulsion, oil/solvent paints and other paints. Wallcoverings including wallpaper, vinyls and whites/woodchips. Woodcare includes varnishes, preservers, stains and other woodcare.
- Decorators' merchants market product mix.
- Trade and retail markets for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare.
- Analysis by product group - market size 2008-2013 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Forecast of expected market development - short term prospects in 2013 and medium term prospects up to 2017.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housing market, consumer confidence & spending.
- Outlook for the decorators' merchants' market through to 2017 and key drivers.
Following the economic downturn in 2008 and 2009, the decorators' merchants market saw a significant decline in value of 13% over the two years. In 2010 and 2011, value growth was largely driven by rising raw material, energy and production costs being passed on to customers. In addition, higher levels of domestic RMI also contributed to overall market growth. Rising production costs have continued to drive up average prices in 2012 with value growth estimated at 5%. There are few signs of a significant upturn in the UK economic climate at present, and modest growth is forecast for 2013, largely driven by increasing average prices.
There is considerable blurring of boundaries between retail and trade sales in that a growing number of contractors are purchasing from DIY outlets, and DIYers often purchase from trade centres. A significant decline in the housing market has had a negative effect on product sales since the move to a new home is often the trigger for significant home decoration. The declining housing market and falling disposable household incomes have led to reduction in trade sales as fewer homeowners employ painters and decorators.
Severe weather during the review period, including storms and heavy snow, has driven a need for exterior redecoration and refurbishment.
The cost of home improvement projects has been steadily rising exacerbated by rising fuel and energy costs and higher priced imports. A shortage of some of the raw materials needed to manufacture resins for paint production has also contributed to recent price increases, also affecting the production of printing ink for wallcoverings.
The decorators' merchants' market is highly fragmented with a small number of large organisations competing with many regional and local merchants. There is also competition in the trade sector from other channels such as the builders' merchants and some hardware specialists.
There are few signs of a significant upturn in the UK economic climate at present, and modest value growth is forecast for 2013. Prices are continuing to increase, and raw material shortages do not appear to have been addressed, so this is likely to result in continued value growth within the market. However, it is not sustainable for prices to continue to rise at a rate in excess of 5% per annum, without impacting on volume demand. If this occurs, demand for paint products will undoubtedly fall, which is likely to drive a higher level of price competition.
The future performance of the market is driven by the performance of the UK building and construction sector, influenced by both new build and repair, maintenance & improvement activities. There is likely to be a shift towards smaller RMI activities in key public sectors as spending programmes are cut, which should provide opportunities for the décor trade sector.
In the medium term, housebuilding levels will need to increase, as there is already a significant shortage of housing, and this should benefit the market for paint, woodcare and wallcoverings. In addition, many necessary re-decoration and refurbishment projects have been deferred due to the economic situation, and these will have to be undertaken at some point, whether the economy improves or not.
The merchants are expected to continue to build up their online activity, aimed at both trade and at retail customers. In addition, the merchants are expected to continue investing in areas of the business that improve the service and product offering to customers and increase customer loyalty.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 5
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 PRODUCT RANGE 18
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE 19
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE & RECENT PERFORMANCE - DECORATORS' MERCHANTS 21
- 4.4.1 Current Market Situation 21
- 4.4.2 Future Prospects - 2012 to 2017 23
- 4.5 DECORATORS' MERCHANT SHARE OF PAINT & WALLCOVERINGS MARKET 24
- 4.6 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 25
- 4.6.1 Overall Construction Market 25
- 4.6.2 The New Housing Market 29
- 4.6.3 Conservatories, Windows and External Doors 31
- 4.6.4 Garden Furniture, Decking and Sheds 32
- 4.6.5 Commercial Interior Refurbishment Market 34
- 4.6.6 Additional Factors Influencing the Merchants' Market 35
- 5. THE DECORATORS' MERCHANTS 37
- 5.1 MARKET SHARE - DECORATORS' MERCHANTS & TRADE CENTRES 37
- 5.2 DECORATORS' MERCHANT COMPANIES 39
- 5.2.1 Regional Decorators' Merchants 43
- 5.2.2 Local Decorators' Merchants 45
- 5.2.3 On-Line Decorators' Merchants 46
- 5.2.4 Buying Groups 47
- 5.3. CHARACTERISTICS OF DECORATORS' MERCHANTS 48
- 5.3.1 Pricing and Prices 48
- 5.3.2 Decorators' Merchant Competitors 48
- 5.3.3 Decorators' Merchant Customers 49
- 5.4 DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET - SWOT ANALYSIS 51
- 6. PRODUCTS USED IN TRADE CENTRES 53
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 53
- 6.2 MERCHANT SHARES BY PRODUCT 54
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 54
- 6.3.1 Paint and Paint Effects 54
- 6.3.2 Wallcoverings 61
- 6.3.3 Woodcare 66
- 6.3.4 Pre-Decorative Products 71
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 UK DECORATORS' MERCHANTS' MARKET 2007 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2012 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 10
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2017 12
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2017 13
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 6 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - DECORATING PRODUCTS 20
- TABLE 7 UK DECORATORS' MERCHANTS' MARKET 2007 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES) 22
- TABLE 8 DECORATORS' MERCHANTS SHARE OF UK PAINT & WALLCOVERINGS MARKET 2009 TO 2017 (£ MILLION MERCHANTS SELLING PRICES) 25
- CHART 9 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR, HOUSING, INFRASTRUCTURE, PRIVATE RMI, PUBLIC RMI ETC ANNUAL TOTALS, INDEX 2005 = 100 26
- CHART 10 GROWTH FORECASTS OF END-USE SECTORS OF MERCHANTS' MARKET, HOUSING, INFRASTRUCTURE, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATION, HEALTH ETC 2012-2017 27
- CHART 11 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2006 TO 2017 - UK ('000) 29
- CHART 12 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2007-2012 ('000) 30
- TABLE 13 UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY, REPLACEMENT DOORS AND WINDOWS MARKET BY VOLUME & PERCENTAGE 2011 31
- TABLE 14 UK MARKETS FOR DOMESTIC DECKING, FENCING* & GARDEN FURNITURE 2006-2012 BY VALUE (£M) ** 32
- CHART 15 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT - FIT OUT & INTERIOR REFURBISHMENT AT CURRENT PRICES (£M) 2007 -2017 35
- CHART 16 KEY DECORATORS' MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2012 38
- TABLE 17 KEY INDICATORS UK DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET - DULUX DECORATOR CENTRES 40
- TABLE 18 KEY INDICATORS UK DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET - PPG ARCHITECTURAL COATINGS 41
- TABLE 19 KEY INDICATORS UK DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET - C. BREWERS & SONS 42
- TABLE 20 KEY INDICATORS UK DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET - CROWN PAINTS 43
- TABLE 21 PERCENTAGE CHANGE OF PRICE INDICES OF PAINT 2007-2011 (%) 48
- TABLE 22 ACTIVITIES OF PAINTING AND GLAZING TRADE 2008-2011 - ANNUAL BUSINESS SURVEY RESULTS 50
- TABLE 23 SWOT ANALYSIS OF THE DECORATORS' MERCHANTS MARKET 52
- CHART 24 DECORATORS' MERCHANT MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2012 53
- TABLE 25 DECORATORS' MERCHANTS SHARE OF THE MARKET SECTORS 2012 AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES 54
- CHART 26 UK MARKET FOR PAINT AND PAINT EFFECTS 2008 TO 2013 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT MERCHANTS SELLING PRICES) 55
- CHART 27 UK TRADE MARKET FOR PAINT - VALUE SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP 2012 (GLOSS, EMULSIONS, OTHERS) 57
- CHART 28 UK TRADE MARKET FOR PAINT - VALUE SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP 2012 (EMULSIONS, GLOSS, OTHERS) 57
- CHART 29 UK MARKET FOR PAINT - MIX BY PAINT COLOURS 1996, 2006 & 2012 % BY VALUE 59
- CHART 30 UK MARKET FOR PAINT MIX BY END USE SECTOR 2011 - % BY VALUE (DIY, TRADE DOMESTIC, TRADE COMMERCIAL) 60
- CHART 31 THE WALLCOVERINGS MARKET 2008 TO 2013 - BY VALUE - £MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES 62
- CHART 32 UK MARKET FOR WALLCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX 1996 TO 2017 -% BY VALUE 64
- CHART 33 UK MARKET FOR WALLCOVERINGS MIX BY END USE APPLICATION 2011 - % BY VALUE 65
- CHART 34 THE WOODCARE MARKET 2008 TO 2013 - BY VALUE - £ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES 66
- CHART 35 UK RETAIL MARKET FOR WOODCARE PRODUCT MIX 2012 - % BY VALUE 68
- CHART 36 UK TRADE MARKET FOR WOODCARE PRODUCT MIX 2012 - % BY VALUE 69
- CHART 37 THE PRE-DECORATIVE PRODUCTS MARKET 2008 TO 2013 - BY VALUE - £ MILLION AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES 71
- CHART 38 UK TRADE MARKET FOR PRE-DECORATIVE PRODUCT MIX 2012 - % BY VALUE 72
The 'Decorators' Merchant Market Report - UK 2013-2017 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.