Door and Window Fabricators Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 18/03/2016 / Number of Pages: 82 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the 'Door and Window Fabricators Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates original input and primary research and represents an up-to-date and informed report on the fabrication sector, covering both the residential and non-domestic markets, and reviewing prospects through to 2020.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market value, key trends and influences, market mix by value.
- Sector review - Residential Windows, Commercial Windows, Residential Entrance Doors, Patio Doors, Conservatories, Curtain Wall, Roof Glazing and Ground Floor Treatments etc.
- Product sectors - by frame material and application i.e. home improvement, housebuilding, private sector, public sector, private commercial and industrial.
- Suppliers in the door and window manufacturing/ fabrication industry - retail glazing companies, trade PVC-U systems fabricators, joinery manufacturers, aluminium systems fabricators and specialist manufacturers.
- Future prospects - market forecast to 2020 and overall glazing industry trends.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market activity levels over 2014-15 with a review of key market drivers.
- Material usage trends in key product sectors - market mixes by volume and value.
- Market trends in the private and public sectors, and new build & RMI.
- Extensive review of the fabricator market - recent changes in 2014-15, industry restructuring, future changes.
- Market prospects for 2016-17 and longer term trends up to 2020.
Some of the companies included:
Anglian Home Improvements, Everest, Safestyle UK Plc, ENTU Plc, C R Smith, Epwin Group, Specialist Building Products, Synseal Extrusions, MASCO UK Window Group, A&B Glass Company, Camden Group, CWG Choices, Glazerite Windows, Customade (UK), Emplas Window Systems, Whiteline Group, Sash UK, Swift Frame, Nova Group, Lister Trade Frames, Unique Windows, Pearl Window Systems, Burles Group, Crystal Windows and Doors, Sovereign Group, Ford Windows, Graham Holmes Astraseal, EYG (East Yorkshire Glazing), Scotia Double Glazing, Advanced Group, Dempsey Dyer, Britannia Windows, Total Glass, Jeld-Wen UK, Premdor, Howden Joinery, Howarth Timber Group, Performance Window Group, Benlowe Group, JB Kind, West Port, Glassolutions, Dane Architectural Systems, Charles Henshaw & Sons Ltd, English Architectural Glazing (EAG), Bennett Architectural Aluminium Solutions, Crittall Windows, Federated Windows and Doors, HansenGroup, Anaco Systems, Permasteelisa UK, Schneider GB, Lindner Facades, Mero-Schmidlin (UK), Structal UK, Metallbau Früh UK, GIG Facades, Seele UK, Waagner Biro, Felix, Yuanda UK, Focchi Ltd, Distinction Doors, Britdoors Group, Door Stop International, Solidor, Hurst Plastics, Hallmark Panels, Rockdoor, Masterdor, Vista Panels, New World Developments, Birtley Group, GBW Panels, Brett Martin, Hambleside Danelaw, Xtralite (Rooflights), Ubbink (UK), Duplus Architectural Systems, Assa Abloy Entrance Systems, Dorma UK, Boon Edam UK, High Performance Door Solutions, Record UK, Gilgen Door Systems UK, Geze UK.
Window & Door Fabrication Market
- Overall door and window fabricators market - size and market mix by value, key general trends and underlying market drivers from 2010-15 and forecasts of future trends to 2020.
- Analysis of residential windows sector by volume and value 2010-2020. Focus on both newbuild and replacement markets, analysis by frame material and end-user sector. Review of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of commercial windows sector by value 2010-2020. Key market drivers. Mix by frame material.
- Analysis of residential entrance doors sector by volume and value 2010-2020 - focus on both newbuild and replacement markets with each segmented by frame material and end-user sector. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of patio door sector by volume and value 2010-2017. Focus on both newbuild and replacement markets with each segmented by frame material and end-user sector - growth of bifold doors. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of conservatory sector by volume and value 2007-2020. Segmentation by frame material. Details of key market drivers and future prospects.
- Analysis of curtain wall sector by value 2010-2020. Key market drivers. Mix by frame material.
- Analysis of roof glazing and ground floor treatment sectors by value 2010-2020. Key market drivers.
Supply and Distribution
- Analysis of door and window fabrication sectors - retail glazing companies, PVC-U systems fabricators, aluminium systems fabricators, steel framed glazing manufacturers, timber window manufacturers and specialist suppliers, (e.g. bespoke contractors and composite door manufacturers). Changes in supply structure in 2015-16.
- Review of retail glazing sector -market shares for leading companies. Changes in market structure.
- Review of PVC-U fabricator sector split between trade fabricators and fabricator/installers. Turnover and volume output estimates for leading companies. Changes in structure -activity and performance summaries for leading companies.
- Review of aluminium systems fabrication sector. Activity and performance summaries for leading companies.
- Review of activities and performance of other leading manufacturers from other sectors including bespoke specialists, joinery, steel windows, rooflights and composite doors etc.
- Market prospects in 2016-17 - key drivers in door & window fabricators market and longer term prospects up to 2020. Key growth sectors.
- Overall trends in glazing industry - materials, sectors etc.
- Impact of changes on market structure.
The window and door fabrication market has turned from steady decline over several years to growth since 2013, and was estimated to have grown by 3% in 2015, with prospects of further growth now over the next 5 years. Key defining factors in this market in 2015-16 are; market maturity (in particular for the domestic replacement market), fragmentation, competition, cost-management, building legislation, 'green' building, tough market conditions and diversification. The development of the economy is also a key factor to the glazing sector, impacting on consumer confidence, housebuilding, public spending and commercial construction output.
There is significant over-capacity in the industry resulting in an intensely competitive market, especially in the PVCu sector - prices and margins remain under pressure as companies compete for business. Fabricators have responded by broadening their range offering roofline, extensions and wider door and window ranges. The supply structure remains very fragmented, comprising a mix of vertically integrated retail glazing companies, PVCu trade fabricators and fabricator/installers, aluminium systems fabricator/installers, bespoke glazing contractors, composite door manufacturers, commercial glazing specialists, roof light manufacturers, steel window manufacturers and major joinery companies etc.
Closures and acquisitions/mergers continue to be a feature of the market in 2015-16, but in lower numbers than experienced during the recession and noted in the last edition of this report. In particular, there has been further rationalisation among national retail companies; a sector where change has often been a feature, and where corporate ownership is a key focus for change latterly. The aluminium sector has experienced a period of consolidation, but remains the largest supplier of windows and doors to the commercial sector. It has lost its position as a major supplier of domestic windows and doors as the market is mostly now PVCu.
In 2016, the prospects for this industry in the immediate term remain relatively good -although a volatile economy in early 2016 casts some uncertainty over short term prospects. However, the UK is performing relatively well and a steady improvement in the glazing market in the medium term is anticipated. The UK market for residential windows is very competitive and is likely to remain so, though within the next few years we expect capacity and demand to become more balanced as demand from the housebuilding sector continues to expand, resulting in less pressure on supplier prices and profitability. Ultimately, the industry is mature and, in the longer term, heavily dependent on replacement demand in the residential sector, supported by new build activity in key non-residential markets.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.3 KEY END USER MARKETS 20
- 4.3.1 Replacement Domestic Door and Window Market 20
- 4.3.2 New Housebuilding Sector 22
- 4.3.3 Social Housing Sector 22
- 4.4 OVERALL CONSTRUCTION MARKET 22
- 4.5 HOUSEBUILDING MARKET 23
- 4.6 THE UK SOCIAL HOUSING MARKET 25
- 4.6.1 Key Associations and Market Shares in the UK 28
- 4.6.2 Government Housing Spending Plans 30
- 4.7 THE HOUSE MOVING MARKET 31
- 4.8 TRADE ASSOCIATIONS, STANDARDS AND LEGISLATIVE INFLUENCES 32
- 4.8.1 Trade Associations 32
- 4.8.2 Standards and Legislation 33
- 4.9 ENVIRONMENTAL TRENDS 34
- 4.10 RAW MATERIALS AND OVERHEAD PRICE TRENDS 35
- 4.11 DEVELOPMENT OF KEY MATERIALS 35
- 4.11.1 Higher Specification Trends 35
- 4.11.2 Materials 36
- 5. PRODUCT MIX 39
- 5.1 MARKET SEGMENTATION 39
- 5.2 RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS 41
- 5.2.1 Overall UK Market for Residential Windows 41
- 5.2.2 Replacement Market for Residential Windows 44
- 5.2.3 Distribution by Sector 44
- 5.2.4 Newbuild Market for Residential Windows 47
- 5.3 COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 48
- 5.4 RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS 50
- 5.4.1 Overall Market for Residential Entrance Doors 50
- 5.4.2 Replacement Market for Residential Entrance Doors 51
- 5.4.3 Newbuild Market for Residential Entrance Doors 53
- 5.5 CURTAIN WALL 54
- 5.6 PATIO DOORS 55
- 5.6.1 Overall Market for Patio Doors 55
- 5.6.2 Patio Door Market Volumes 57
- 5.6.3 Patio Door Frame Materials 58
- 5.7 CONSERVATORIES 59
- 5.8 GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS / ENTRANCE SYSTEMS 62
- 5.9 ROOF GLAZING 63
- 6. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 65
- 6.1 RETAIL GLAZING COMPANIES 65
- 6.2 PVCU SYSTEMS FABRICATORS 68
- 6.2.1 Leading PVCu Systems Fabricators 68
- 6.3 JOINERY MANUFACTURERS 73
- 6.4 ALUMINIUM SYSTEMS FABRICATORS 74
- 6.5 STEEL WINDOWS MANUFACTURERS 76
- 6.6 SPECIALISTS 76
- 6.6.1 Bespoke Façade and Roof Glazing Companies 77
- 6.6.2 Composite Door Manufacturers 79
- 6.6.3 Rooflight Manufacturers 81
- 6.6.4 Glazed Commercial Entrance Door Systems Suppliers 81
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6 UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET £M AT TRADE PRICES 2010-2020 19
- CHART 7 THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP 2010 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£M AT TRADE PRICES) 20
- TABLE 8 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GREAT BRITAIN 2009 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 23
- CHART 9 NEW HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GREAT BRITAIN) 2010-2020 - BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS) 24
- CHART 10 ENGLAND HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS MIX (HOUSES AND FLATS) 2009 TO 2015 - % BY VOLUME 25
- TABLE 11 ENGLAND DWELLING STOCK BY TENURE ('000S) 2009 - 2014 26
- CHART 12 HOUSING STOCK BY COUNTRY AND TENURE FINANCIAL YEAR 2013-14 - (% OF DWELLINGS) 27
- TABLE 13 TOP 10 PPR/HA GROUPS IN ENGLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED 2015 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE 28
- TABLE 14 TOP 10 HA GROUPS IN SCOTLAND BY TOTAL STOCK OWNED 2015 - UNITS MANAGED AND MARKET SHARE 29
- CHART 15 MOVING ANNUAL TOTAL SECURED GROSS LENDING TO INDIVIDUALS AND HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS 2008 TO 2015 - MAT £MILLION 31
- CHART 16 UK FABRICATORS MARKET BY PRODUCT SECTOR AT TRADE PRICES 2015 39
- TABLE 17 UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS 2010 TO 2020 AT TRADE PRICES - BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) AND VALUE (£M) 41
- CHART 18 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION LEVEL OF ANY TYPE OF DOUBLE-GLAZING 1991 - 2015 43
- CHART 19 UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS BY VOLUME BY SECTOR - 2015 43
- CHART 20 VALUE OF REPLACEMENT WINDOWS BY SECTOR (DIRECT SELL, LA/HA, INDIRECT PRIVATE) 2015 - % BY VALUE 45
- CHART 21 REPLACEMENT MARKET FOR WINDOWS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER, ALUMINIUM, PVCU, OTHER) 1986 TO 2015 - % BY VALUE 46
- TABLE 22 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT TRADE PRICES) 48
- CHART 23 UK MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL WINDOWS BY FRAME MATERIAL 2015 - BY INSTALLED VALUE 49
- TABLE 24 UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) AND VALUE (£M) 50
- CHART 25 UK MARKET FOR RESIDENTIAL ENTRANCE DOORS BY APPLICATION 2015 - % BY VOLUME 51
- CHART 26 REPLACEMENT RESIDENTIAL DOORS MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 1992 TO 2015 - % BY VALUE 52
- CHART 27 NEW HOUSING ENTRANCE DOOR FRAME MATERIALS 1995 TO 2015 % BY VOLUME 53
- TABLE 28 THE UK FABRICATORS MARKET FOR CURTAIN WALL 2010 TO 2020 BY VALUE AT TRADE PRICES (£M MSP EQUIVALENT) 55
- TABLE 29 UK MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS BY VOLUME AND VALUE AT TRADE PRICES - 2010-2020 56
- CHART 30 UK MARKET FOR PATIO DOORS BY APPLICATION 2015 - % BY VOLUME 57
- TABLE 31 PATIO DOORS MARKET END-USE APPLICATION (HOME IMPROVEMENT, NEW HOUSEBUILDING) 2010-2020 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 58
- CHART 32 MIX OF REPLACEMENT PATIO DOORS BY FRAME MATERIAL 1992 TO 2015 - % BY VALUE 59
- TABLE 33 UK CONSERVATORY MARKET 2010 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME (000 UNITS) AND VALUE (£M MSP) 60
- CHART 34 UK CONSERVATORIES MARKET MIX BY FRAME MATERIAL 2015 - % BY VOLUME 61
- TABLE 35 THE UK MARKET FOR GROUND FLOOR TREATMENTS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 62
- TABLE 36 UK MARKET FOR ROOF GLAZING BY MATERIAL VALUE AT TRADE PRICES - 2010-2020 63
- CHART 37 UK REPLACEMENT DOOR & WINDOW RETAIL SHARES BY VALUE 2015 66
- TABLE 38 LEADING TRADE FABRICATORS - BY TURNOVER (£M) 69
The 'Door and Window Fabricators Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.