Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 18/12/2015 / Number of Pages: 77 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 11th edition of the 'Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This unique report contains original primary research and represents an informed and up-to-date review of this fragmented market, which has experienced some recovery after a difficult period in recent years. The report is written by professionals with direct experience of the glazing industry and analyses the major developments, with comment on future developments.
Key sections covered:
- Market overview - market size, key trends and influencing factors, supply and distribution structure, future trends and forecasts until 2019.
- Detailed product sector review - sector size, forecasts, leading suppliers and market shares, major distribution channels and channel mix for the following:
- Locks - mortice, espagnolettes, multi-point, rim latches, window locks and latches.
- Handles - windows and doors.
- Hinges/Stays - butt, friction hinges, casement stays.
- General - door closers, ventilators, tilt 'n' turn, patio gearing, sliding gear, balances, exit hardware, signs, letterplates, bolts, padlocks and chains etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of the domestic, commercial and public end use sectors.
- Insight into the new housing and replacement markets for windows, doors and patio doors.
- Frame material mix for windows, doors and patio doors - PVC-u, timber, composites and aluminium.
- Key influences such as legislation and standards, flat/apartment building, industry rationalisation, supplier and distributor acquisition activity etc.
Some of the companies included:
Able Locksmiths, Allegion, Allgood, Arran Isle, Arrow Architectural, ASSA Abloy, Avocet Hardware, B&Q, Basta Group, Brassart, Carl F Groupco, Cotswold Architectural Products, Decco, DGS (Double Glazing Supplies) Group, Dorma UK, E Aldridge, ERA Home Security, Geze UK, Gilgen Door Systems, Grafton, Gretsch-Unitas, Häfele, Homebase, Hoppe (UK), Ironmongery Direct, Keytek, Laidlaw, Listers, Lloyd Worral, MACO UK, Mica Hardware, Roto Frank, Saint Gobain, Securistyle, Stax, Timpson Locksmiths, Titon Hardware, Travis Perkins, Trojan Hardware, VBH (GB), Wickes, Winkhaus, Winlock, Wolseley.
Window & Door Market
- Window market - volumes, recent trends, split between new housing/ home improvement/ non-housing, frame materials and window styles. Key influencing factors, future prospects.
- Hinged Doors - Market size 2009-19, recent trends - New Housing/Home Improvement share mix, Public/private sector mix. Frame materials - changes in share mix, growth of composites. Future Prospects.
- Patio Doors - Market volumes 2009-19. New Housing/Home Improvement mix. Frame materials share mix, volume trends in new build and home improvement sector 2010-15, future prospects.
Door & Window Fittings Market
- Total market size 2010-2019, key trends, market conditions in 2013-15 with forecasts through to 2019, sales mix of major product groups 2014 and future prospects.
- Key influencing factors - review of housing and construction market - newbuild by volume/values, forecasts up to 2019, trends between housing and apartment building, legislation & standards, etc
- Analysis of supply and distribution structure for fittings - influence of leading groups, industry rationalisation, acquisition activity, strength/weaknesses of major distribution channels, recent developments, future trends..
- Major suppliers in the market - market shares in 2014, areas of strength and company details.
- Review of major distribution channels -Merchant/DIY/Independents/Architectural Ironmongers/Door & Window Fabricators, Systems, Distributors/Locksmiths - shares and major players within each.
- Market size by value 2010-2019, trends, market drivers, effects of current climate - prospects to 2019.
- Product mix - share estimates for rim, mortice, multi-point etc - door locks, window locks, product developments and trends, growth in electronic security systems.
- Suppliers - Major suppliers by sector 2014 - retail, commercial, direct sell replacement market. Role of distributors/ suppliers, supply structure and market share estimates.
- Distribution - Channel mix 2014, strengths and weaknesses, trends and changes in distribution.
- Market Size 2010-2019 - domestic and non-domestic sectors, door/window mix, new build & replacement market, recent trends and future prospects to 2019.
- Key influences, frame materials, window designs, review of new build/replacement markets, purchasing criteria, legislation & standards, product development etc.
- Suppliers - key suppliers by sector, supply and distribution structure, trends, own brand growth.
- Distribution - Channel mix shares 2014, recent trends, range of suppliers/distributors, growth in imports.
- Market Size 2010-2019 - product mix; butt hinges, friction hinges, etc. Changing market trends, future prospects to 2017.
- Friction hinge and butt hinges markets - shares, mix by frame material, new build/replacement markets.
- Suppliers - leading suppliers, different supply structure/customer base, growth of imports, friction hinge market shares.
- Distribution - channel mix shares 2014, review of key channels, role of distributors, future trends.
- Market size by value 2014 - door closers, ventilators, tilt'n'turn, signs/number plates, letterplates, bolts/padlocks/chains etc.
- Market trends - areas of growth/decline, changes in building regulations, future prospects.
- Each sector reviewed separately, importance of domestic/commercial applications, product trends, key influences, major suppliers and distribution channels for each sector. Future prospects.
The door & window fittings market is closely linked to the door and window fabrication and installation market and the glazing industry in general - a mature market which has suffered during the years after the financial crisis. Throughout 2014 and 2015, the market continued its steady recovery, as consumer confidence and the economy improved. In 2015, the market is thought to have experienced moderate growth of around 2%, similar to growth rates in 2013 and 2014.
While the general public does buy door and window fittings at the retail level, the bulk of the market is trade-based and often a commodity sector. A reasonable share of the market is for retro-fit hardware, making standard, traditional style fittings important in the product mix. Polarisation is a striking feature of this market which is characterised at one end by high value, high specification products and low cost, basic product ranges at the other end. Locks and handles represent the two major product sectors, together accounting for over half of the fittings market. Door closers now account for an estimated 14%, having grown in recent years.
The UK door and window fittings market has been through a period of considerable change over recent years, with significant consolidation of suppliers in some sub-sectors, however the industry remains highly fragmented and competitive. The competitive nature of the market has led to significant downward pressure on average prices, and margins continually being constricted - partly due to increasing import penetration, particularly in the lower value sectors of the market. In the last 2-3 years there has been a slowing of the consolidation process as growth returned to this mature market.
In line with general construction and economic trends, our forecast indicates positive, if low, growth for 2016 and beyond. Although the overall housing and construction markets are likely to see higher growth than currently forecast for door and window fittings, value growth for hardware will continue to be muted by price pressures and strong competition. The private sector is forecast to be the main driver for growth into the medium-term particularly given the recent steady improvements in consumer confidence and spending, but the public sector is also likely to benefit from a number of housing programmes due to commence from 2015 onwards such as the new phase of Decent Homes and Affordable Homes. Further changes to building regulations and standards are likely to continue to provide opportunities for product development in future and other key drivers are enhanced security, new technology and an increasing focus on style.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. UK WINDOW & DOOR MARKET 19
- 4.1 OVERVIEW 19
- 4.2 MARKET VALUE 19
- 4.3 KEY END USE MARKETS 21
- 4.3.1 Domestic Door and Window Replacement Market 21
- 4.3.2 New Housebuilding Market 22
- 4.3.3 Public Sector Housebuilding 22
- 4.4 LEGISLATION AND STANDARDS 22
- 4.4.1 Building Regulations 23
- 4.4.2 Secured by Design 23
- 4.4.3 The Disability Discrimination Act 23
- 4.4.4 CE Marking 24
- 4.5 ENVIRONMENTAL TRENDS 24
- 4.6 FRAME AND DOOR LEAF MATERIALS 25
- 4.6.1 PVC-U 25
- 4.6.2 Aluminium 26
- 4.6.3 Timber 26
- 4.6.4 Composite Doors 27
- 5. DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET 28
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 28
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 28
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX 30
- 5.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES - CONSTRUCTION 31
- 5.4.1 Overall UK Construction Market 31
- 5.4.2 Housebuilding Market 32
- 5.4.3 The UK Social Housing Market 34
- 5.4.4 Non-Residential Construction Sector 36
- 6. PRODUCT SECTORS 38
- 6.1 LOCKS & LATCHES 38
- 6.1.1 Market Size and Trends 38
- 6.1.2 Product Mix 42
- 6.1.3 Supply & Distribution 44
- 6.2 HANDLES 48
- 6.2.1 Market Size & Trends 48
- 6.2.2 Product Mix 49
- 6.2.3 Supply & Distribution 50
- 6.3 HINGES/STAYS 52
- 6.3.1 Market Size & Trends 52
- 6.3.2 Product Mix 53
- 6.3.3 Supply & Distribution 55
- 6.4 OTHER SECTORS 56
- 6.4.1 Door Closers 58
- 6.4.2 Ventilators 59
- 6.4.3 Window Locks/Bolts/Padlocks/Chains 59
- 6.4.4 Tilt 'n' Turn/Patio Gearing 60
- 6.4.5 Sliding Door Gear 60
- 6.4.6 Sign/Number Plates/Letterplates 61
- 6.4.7 Others 61
- 7. SUPPLIERS 63
- 7.1 INDUSTRY STRUCTURE 63
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SHARE 64
- 7.3 COMPANY PROFILES 65
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 71
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 71
- 8.2 OVERALL DISTRIBUTION SHARES 71
- 8.3 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 72
- 8.3.1 Door & Window Fabricators 72
- 8.3.2 DIY Multiples 73
- 8.3.3 Builders Merchants/Joinery Centres 74
- 8.3.4 Architectural Ironmongers 75
- 8.3.5 DIY/Hardware Independents 76
- 8.3.6 Other Channels 77
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2010-2016 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6 THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2007 TO 2017 - BY VALUE AT TRADE PRICES (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 7 UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2014 SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP (RESI WINDOWS, COMMERCIAL/ROOF GLAZING, CURTAIN WALLING, PATIO/RESI DOORS, CONSERVATORIES ETC) 20
- CHART 8 UK FOR DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 29
- TABLE 9 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET SALES BY PRODUCT GROUP (LOCKS, HANDLES, HINGES, DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, GEARING, BOLTS/CHAINS ETC) - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND SHARE (%) 30
- TABLE 10 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GREAT BRITAIN 2010 TO 2015 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 31
- TABLE 11 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB) PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SECTORS 2009-2015 - BY VOLUME 32
- CHART 12 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2009-2015 - % 33
- CHART 13 UK HOUSING STOCK BY COUNTRY AND TENURE 2014 (%) 35
- CHART 14 NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK AND RMI ANALYSIS 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 36
- CHART 15 UK DOOR & WINDOW LOCKS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 BY VALUE (£M) MSP 40
- TABLE 16 UK DOOR & WINDOW LOCKS MARKET 2010-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 41
- CHART 17 UK DOOR LOCK MARKET FOR HOUSING BY PRODUCT TYPE (MULTI-POINT, MORTICE, RIM LATCH) 2015 - % BY VOLUME 43
- TABLE 18 UK LOCK MARKET SHARE FOR KEY SUPPLIERS 2015 - % BY VALUE 45
- TABLE 19 MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE FOR LOCKS 2015 - % BY VALUE 46
- CHART 20 UK DOOR & WINDOW HANDLES MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009 - 2019 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 48
- CHART 21 UK MARKET FOR DOOR & WINDOW HANDLES PRODUCT MIX 2015 - % BY VOLUME 49
- TABLE 22 UK MARKET FOR DOOR AND WINDOW HANDLES DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2015 - % BY VALUE 51
- CHART 23 UK DOOR AND WINDOW HINGE/STAY MARKET AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 53
- CHART 24 UK MARKET FOR DOOR AND WINDOW HINGES/STAYS MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (BUTT, FRICTION & OTHERS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 54
- TABLE 25 UK FRICTION HINGES MARKET HOUSING BY FRAME MATERIAL 2015 - % 55
- TABLE 26 UK MARKET FOR WINDOW AND DOOR HINGES/STAY CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 2015 - % BY VALUE 56
- TABLE 27 UK GENERAL HARDWARE MARKET (DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, SPECIALIST PRODUCTS, ETC) 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND % 57
- TABLE 28 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS 2015 - % SHARE BY VALUE 65
- TABLE 29 UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 2015 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND SHARE (%) 71
- CHART 30 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2014 73
- CHART 31 BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2014 75
The 'Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.