Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 22/01/2018 / Number of Pages: 70 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 12th edition of the 'Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2018-2022' provides detailed insight into the market as well as covering all major product areas. The report provides detailed analysis of all major product groups within the door and window fittings market and contains insight into all major trends and issues impacting the market as well as a review of the supply and distribution channels.
Product areas covered in the report
- Locks - mortice, espagnolettes, multi-point, rim latches, window locks, latches.
- Handles - windows and doors.
- Hinges - butt hinges, friction hinges, casement stays.
- General - door closers, ventilators, tilt 'n' turn, patio gearing, sliding gear, balances, exit hardware, signs, letterplates etc.
Areas of particular interest
- Analysis of the overall door and window market, and is influence on the fittings market as a whole.
- A review of key issues affecting the door and window fittings market including: analysis of major end use sectors, review of construction, legislation and standards, environmental trends and international trade.
- Analysis of product sectors within the market, including product shares.
- Review of supply and distribution channels including market shares and company profiles for leading organisations.
Some of the companies included
Allegion, Allgood, Arran Isle, ASSA Abloy, Avocet Hardware, B&Q, Carl F Groupco, Cotswold Architectural Products, DGS Group, EM-B Group, ERA Home Security, George Boyd, Geze UK, Gilgen Door Systems, Grafton, Gretsch-Unitas (GU), Häfele, Homebase, Hoppe (UK), John Planck, Laidlaw Ironmongery, Lloyd Worral, MACO UK, Roto Frank, Saint Gobain, Screwfix, Titon Hardware, Travis Perkins Group, VBH (GB), Winkhaus, Wolseley
THE WINDOW & DOOR MARKET
- Market size from 2013 to 2017 - including review of major trends within the market.
- Overview of product mix within the door & window fabricators' market.
- Analysis of changing trends in frame and door leaf materials and review of trends within each material sector.
DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET
- Total market size 2013-2017, key trends and market forecasts, with forecasts through to 2022.
- Sales mix of major product groups.
- Key influencing factors - review of housing and construction market - with forecasts to 2020.
- Analysis of supply and distribution structure for fittings - influence of leading groups, industry rationalisation, acquisition activity, strengths/weaknesses of major distribution channels, recent developments, future trends.
- Major suppliers in the market - market shares in 2017, areas of strength, company profiles.
- Review of major distribution channels - merchants, DIY, independents, architectural ironmongers, door & window fabricators, systems, distributors, locksmiths - shares and major players in each.
LOCKS & HANDLES
- Market size by value 2013-2022, trends, market drivers, effects of current climate - prospects to 2022.
- Product mix - share estimates for rim, mortice, multi-point etc - door locks, window locks, product developments and trends, growth in electronic security systems.
- Suppliers & distribution - major suppliers by sector 2017 - retail, commercial, direct sell replacement market. Role of distributors/ suppliers, supply structure and market share estimates. Distribution channel mix 2017, strengths and weaknesses, trends and changes in distribution.
HINGES/STAYS & OTHER FITTINGS
- Market size 2013-2022 - product mix; butt hinges, friction hinges, door closers, ventilators, tilt'n'turn, signs/number plates, letterplates, bolts/padlocks/chains, etc. Changing market trends, prospects to 2022.
- Market trends - areas of growth/decline, changes in building regulations, market prospects.
- Suppliers & Distribution - leading suppliers, different supply structure/customer base, growth of imports, friction hinge market shares. Review of key distribution channels, role of distributors, future trends
- Each sector reviewed separately, importance of domestic/commercial applications, product trends, key influences, major suppliers and distribution channels for each sector. Future prospects.
Within our definition, the market for door and window fittings has seen moderate growth of around 3% in 2017. This is lower than in 2016, in line with slowing growth rates for the construction market as a whole. The door & window fittings market is closely linked to the door and window fabrication and installation market and the glazing industry in general - a mature market which has shown some steady growth in recent years, as consumer confidence and the economy improved.
Locks and handles represent the two major product sectors, together accounting for over half of the fittings market. Door closers now account for an estimated 15%, having shown stronger than average growth in recent years. New product development tends to be influenced by a number of factors including fashion, legislation and in response to technical issues. Higher security standards play a significant role in product development and improvement. Partnerships between manufacturers and fabricators also stimulate the development of new products.
Polarisation is a striking feature of this market which is characterised at one end by high value, high specification products and low cost, basic product ranges at the other end. Lower value sectors of the market continue to experience significant downward pressure on average prices due to increasing import penetration. The UK door and window fittings market has seen a slowing of merger and acquisition activity in the last two years, following a significant consolidation of suppliers in previous years, and the industry remains highly fragmented and competitive.
For 2018 and beyond, forecasts indicate marginal but positive growth, based on improving housing and construction markets - though growth will be constrained by price pressure and strong competition. The outlook for the UK construction market remains positive through to 2021, with improving growth for both residential and non-residential sectors from 2019, although ongoing uncertainty over the impact of Brexit on the wider economy continues to dampen forecasts for medium-term growth.
List of Contents
- 1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. UK WINDOW & DOOR MARKET 18
- 4.1 OVERVIEW 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 18
- 4.3 OVERALL PRODUCT AND APPLICATION MIX 19
- 4.4 FRAME AND DOOR LEAF MATERIALS 20
- 5. DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET 24
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW 24
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 24
- 5.3 MARKET PROSPECTS 26
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 26
- 5.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 27
- 5.6 KEY END-USE SECTORS 29
- 5.6.1 Domestic Door and Window Replacement Market 29
- 5.6.2 New Housebuilding Market 30
- 5.6.3 Public Sector Housebuilding 31
- 5.7 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES - CONSTRUCTION 31
- 5.7.1 Overall UK Construction Market 31
- 5.7.2 Housebuilding Market 32
- 5.7.3 The UK Social Housing Market 34
- 5.7.4 Non-Residential Construction Sector 35
- 5.8 LEGISLATION AND STANDARDS 37
- 5.8.1 Building Regulations 37
- 5.8.2 Secured by Design 37
- 5.8.3 The Equality Act 2010 38
- 5.8.4 CE Marking 38
- 5.9 ENVIRONMENTAL TRENDS 38
- 6. PRODUCT SECTORS 39
- 6.1 LOCKS & LATCHES 39
- 6.1.1 Market Size and Trends 39
- 6.1.2 Product Mix 42
- 6.1.3 Supply & Distribution 43
- 6.2 HANDLES 46
- 6.2.1 Market Size & Trends 46
- 6.2.2 Product Mix 47
- 6.2.3 Supply & Distribution 48
- 6.3 HINGES/STAYS 50
- 6.3.1 Market Size & Trends 50
- 6.3.2 Product Mix 51
- 6.3.3 Supply & Distribution 52
- 6.4 OTHER SECTORS 54
- 6.4.1 Door Closers 55
- 6.4.2 Ventilators 55
- 6.4.3 Window Locks/Bolts/Padlocks/Chains 56
- 6.4.4 Tilt 'n' Turn/Patio Gearing 56
- 6.4.5 Sliding Door Gear 56
- 6.4.6 Sign/Number Plates/Letterplates 57
- 6.4.7 Others 57
- 7. SUPPLIERS 59
- 7.1 INDUSTRY STRUCTURE 59
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SHARE 59
- 7.3 COMPANY PROFILES 60
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 65
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 65
- 8.2 OVERALL DISTRIBUTION SHARES 65
- 8.3 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 66
- 8.3.1 Door & Window Fabricators 66
- 8.3.2 DIY Multiples 66
- 8.3.3 Builders Merchants/Joinery Centres 67
- 8.3.4 Architectural Ironmongers 69
- 8.3.5 DIY/Hardware Independents 69
- 8.3.6 Other Channels 70
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6: THE UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE AT TRADE PRICES (£M MSP) 18
- CHART 7: UK DOOR & WINDOW FABRICATORS MARKET 2016 SHARE BY PRODUCT GROUP (RESI WINDOWS, COMMERCIAL/ROOF GLAZING, CURTAIN WALLING, PATIO/RESI DOORS, CONSERVATORIES ETC) 19
- CHART 8: UK FOR DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 25
- TABLE 9: UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET SALES BY PRODUCT GROUP (LOCKS, HANDLES, HINGES, DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, GEARING, BOLTS/CHAINS ETC) - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND SHARE (%) 27
- TABLE 10: IMPORTS OF DOOR AND WINDOW FITTINGS 2010 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 28
- TABLE 11: EXPORTS OF DOOR AND WINDOW FITTINGS 2010 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 28
- CHART 12: UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET SHARE BY END-USE SECTOR 29
- TABLE 13: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GREAT BRITAIN 2012 TO 2017 BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 32
- TABLE 14: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB) PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SECTORS 2012-2017 - BY VOLUME 33
- CHART 15: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2009-2015 - % 33
- CHART 16: UK HOUSING STOCK BY COUNTRY AND TENURE 2016 (%) 34
- CHART 17: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK AND RMI ANALYSIS 2011 TO 2021 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 36
- CHART 18: UK DOOR & WINDOW LOCKS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2021 BY VALUE (£M) MSP 40
- TABLE 19: UK DOOR & WINDOW LOCKS MARKET 2011-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 41
- CHART 20: UK DOOR LOCK MARKET FOR HOUSING BY PRODUCT TYPE (MULTI-POINT, MORTICE, RIM LATCH) 2017 - % BY VOLUME 42
- TABLE 21: UK LOCK MARKET SHARE FOR KEY SUPPLIERS 2017 - % BY VALUE 44
- TABLE 22: MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE FOR LOCKS 2017 - % BY VALUE 45
- CHART 23: UK DOOR & WINDOW HANDLES MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011 - 2021 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 47
- CHART 24: UK MARKET FOR DOOR & WINDOW HANDLES PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VOLUME 48
- TABLE 25: UK MARKET FOR DOOR AND WINDOW HANDLES DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2017 - % BY VALUE 49
- CHART 26: UK DOOR AND WINDOW HINGE/STAY MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 51
- CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR DOOR AND WINDOW HINGES/STAYS MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (BUTT, FRICTION & OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 52
- TABLE 28: UK MARKET FOR WINDOW AND DOOR HINGES/STAY CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 2017 - % BY VALUE 53
- TABLE 29: UK GENERAL HARDWARE MARKET (DOOR CLOSERS, VENTILATORS, SPECIALIST PRODUCTS, ETC) 2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND % 54
- TABLE 30: UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS 2017 - % SHARE BY VALUE 60
- TABLE 31: UK DOOR & WINDOW FITTINGS MARKET MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND SHARE (%) 65
- CHART 32: DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2016 67
- CHART 33: BUILDERS MERCHANTS MARKET SHARES 2016 68
The 'Door and Window Fittings Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .