Electrical Contractors Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 23/01/2019 / Number of Pages: 67 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 4th Edition of the 'Electrical Contractors Market Report- UK 2019-2023' quantifies the existing market for electrical contracting services and provides a thorough review of the structure and performance of the market. This report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in the industry or considering entry.
Key content covered:
- Market Structure.
- Market size and key trends for the electrical contractors' market including market prospects.
- Regional breakdown and analysis.
- Key product trends and end-use applications.
- Main participants including corporate activity and profitability.
Key areas of insight include:
- Thorough review of the structure of the sector.
- Regional analysis incorporating estimated regional market size and leading contractors.
- The impact of energy efficient products and the renewable energy market.
- Key legislation and regulations affecting the market.
- Analysis of leading electrical contracting firms and recent mergers and acquisitions.
- Profitability analysis.
- Detailed market data and insight on the electrical contractors market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Amey UK, Arthur McKay & Co, Balfour Beatty Group, Bancroft, Boulting Group, Briggs & Forrester Group, CBRE Managed Services, Clarkson Evans, Crown House Technologies, Derry Building Services, Dodd Group, Emcor Group (UK) Plc, Engie FM Limited, Essex Services Group, FES, Halsall Electrical, Integral UK, Interserve, Laing O'Rourke Services, Lorne Stewart, Michael Lonsdale limited, Mitie Technical FM, MJ Quinn Integrated Services, NG Bailey Ltd, NIE Network Services, Phoenix ME, Power On Connections, Quartzelec, Shepherd Engineering Services (Wates Group), Skanska Rashleigh Weatherfoil, SPIE UK, SSE Enterprise Contracting, T Clarke, UK Power Network Services (Commercial), etc.
Key areas in the report:
- Definition and market overview - distinction between M&E and electrical contractors.
- Market Performance - market size in value terms, growth levels 2014-2023.
- Key trends - consolidation, energy efficiency, integration and outsourcing. Key factors for market development.
- Market Prospects - market size and growth projections to 2023, where the market is headed and why.
- Market Mix - share of newbuild versus RMI.
Market Trends and Influences
- Review of past, current and future non-domestic construction activity in UK.
- Analysis of current and forecast housing market activity - value, starts and completions.
- Information about legislation and changes to standards affecting the market.
- Outline of carbon reduction targets and green energy requirements - analysis of the renewable energy sector.
- Review of current and future product development opportunities.
- Market Size - number of businesses, number of employees.
- Sector Profile - breakdown by turnover, no of employees, age of business and revenue.
- Service Review - standard services, additional services and growing sectors.
- Profitability Analysis - average profit margin development between 2007 and 2017.
- Overview and regional shares for electrical contracting and construction output, by region.
- Estimated electrical contracting output by value, in each region, covering 2016-2018 with forecasts to 2023.
- Profile of each region - number of employees in electrical trades, market value.
- Leading regional players - brief description and turnover figures.
- Market Share - relative size of leading companies involved in the electrical contracting market.
- Contractor Profiles - extensive section providing company overview, recent acquisitions, turnover and profit figures for companies within the £250m+, £100m+ and £30m+ brackets.
- Corporate Activity - review of major mergers & acquisitions, company failures.
- Procurement Review - covering sub-contracting, contract procurement, materials purchasing and distribution channels.
The electrical contractors' market has been growing year on year since 2013, with growth being particularly strong in 2014. However, with increasing competition in the market, contract prices have fallen and profit margins have been squeezed, restricting growth in market value and resulting in lower growth rates compared to the overall construction market.
Profit margins, which have been significantly squeezed in the last decade or so, showed signs of growth in 2014, but average margins have since dipped again each year from 2015 to 2017. Some large firms continue to make losses while completing a number of longer-term problem contracts.
Key areas of growth have been installations aimed at improving energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions, driven by legislative requirements and Government policy, such as the Paris Agreement on climate change and the 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations.
There has been a rapid expansion in the range of LED lighting products on the market, and with increasingly sophisticated control systems for both heating and lighting, this has been the major growth area in demand for electrical products. There is also a growing market for electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
Prospects for the sector are moderately positive, with the electrical contracting market expected to show moderate growth over the next few years. However, this depends largely on the performance of the construction sector in the wake of Brexit.
Market growth is predicted to lag slightly behind the construction market, due to levels of competition in the sector remaining high, with an increasing number of businesses operating in the sector, and due to the ongoing effect of low profit margins.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 10
- 3.2 KEY DATA 11
- 3.2.1 GDP 11
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 11
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 12
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 13
- 3.2.5 Sterling 14
- 4. THE UK ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET 16
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 16
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 17
- 4.2.1 Current Situation 17
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 18
- 4.3 MARKET MIX 19
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 20
- 4.4.1 Construction Output 20
- 4.4.2 Legislation and Standards 23
- 4.4.3 Carbon Reduction and Green Energy Requirements 25
- 4.4.4 Product Development 26
- 5. REGIONAL ANALYSIS - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS 30
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 30
- 5.2 THE NORTH OF ENGLAND 32
- 5.3 THE MIDLANDS 34
- 5.4 EAST OF ENGLAND 36
- 5.5 LONDON & THE SOUTH EAST 37
- 5.6 THE SOUTH WEST 39
- 5.7 WALES 40
- 5.8 SCOTLAND 41
- 5.9 NORTHERN IRELAND 43
- 6. MARKET STRUCTURE 44
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 44
- 6.2 COMPANY SIZE 45
- 6.3 GEOGRAPHICAL COVERAGE 47
- 6.4 SERVICE OFFERING 47
- 6.5 PROFITABILITY 50
- 7. CONTRACTOR REVIEW 52
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 52
- 7.2 LEADING ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING COMPANIES 52
- 7.3 ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR PROFILES 53
- 7.3.1 Electrical Contractors - £250m+ Estimated Electrical Turnover 53
- 7.3.2 Electrical Contractors - £100m - £250m Estimated Electrical Turnover 57
- 7.3.3 Electrical Contractors - £30m - £100m Estimated Electrical Turnover 60
- 7.4 PROCUREMENT 63
- 8. PRODUCTS 65
- 8.1 ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING MARKET 65
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR MARKET 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£BN) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 12
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 13
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 14
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 7: UK ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M) 17
- CHART 8: MIX BY TYPE OF PROJECT (NEW BUILD, RMI) - % BY VALUE 2018 19
- CHART 9: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI -CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2014 -2022 20
- CHART 10: CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK BY END-USE SECTOR BY VALUE 2018 21
- CHART 11: DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 22
- CHART 12: DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION STARTS & COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS 2014 TO 2022 BY VOLUME 22
- CHART 13: UK ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING REGIONAL SHARES BY VALUE - 2018 30
- CHART 14: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT - REGIONAL SHARES BY VALUE - 2017 31
- CHART 15: PUBLIC/PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 - NORTH OF ENGLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 32
- TABLE 16: NORTH OF ENGLAND - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 33
- CHART 17: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 IN THE MIDLANDS - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 34
- TABLE 18: THE MIDLANDS - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 35
- CHART 19: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 IN THE EAST OF ENGLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 36
- TABLE 20: EAST OF ENGLAND - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 36
- CHART 21: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 IN LONDON & THE SOUTH EAST - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 37
- TABLE 22: LONDON AND THE SOUTH EAST - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 38
- CHART 23: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 IN THE SOUTH WEST OF ENGLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 39
- TABLE 24: SOUTH WEST - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 39
- CHART 25: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 IN WALES - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 40
- TABLE 26: WALES - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 41
- CHART 27: PUBLIC AND PRIVATE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2014 - 2017 IN SCOTLAND - BY CONSTRUCTION TYPE (£M) 41
- TABLE 28: SCOTLAND - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 42
- TABLE 29: NORTHERN IRELAND - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING MARKET SIZE AND EMPLOYMENT - BY VALUE 2016-2023 (£M) 43
- CHART 30: NUMBER OF ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION WORK AND TOTAL OF EMPLOYMENT - 2010-2017 ('000) 44
- CHART 31: ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION FIRMS BY AGE OF BUSINESS - 2018 45
- TABLE 32: ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE BAND 2018 45
- TABLE 33: ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION BY TURNOVER SIZE - 2018 46
- CHART 34: TOTAL REVENUE OF FIRMS INVOLVED IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION REVENUE £BN - 2010-2017 46
- CHART 35: ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION WORK BY REGION (%) - 2018 47
- TABLE 36: STANDARD SERVICES OFFERED BY A TYPICAL MEDIUM TO LARGE ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR 48
- TABLE 37: ADDITIONAL AND GROWING SERVICES OFFERED BY A TYPICAL MEDIUM SIZED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR 49
- CHART 38: ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS' AVERAGE PROFIT MARGINS 2007-2017 (%) 51
- CHART 39: MARKET SHARES BY ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING TURNOVER 2018 52
- TABLE 40: LEADING ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS IN THE UK - BY ESTIMATED TURNOVER FROM ELECTRICAL WORK 2018 53
- TABLE 41: INTERSERVE UK CONTRACT WINS 2017 - 2018 55
- TABLE 42: ENGIE UK CONTRACT WINS 2017/18 57
- TABLE 43: ELECTRICAL AND LIGHTING MARKET 2013-2022 (£M DSP) 65
The 'Electrical Contractors Market Report- UK 2019-2023 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.