Electrical Products Distribution Market Report - Focus on Internet - UK 2014-2018 Analysis
Published: 09/12/2014 / Number of Pages: 77 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 1st edition of the brand title 'Electrical Products Distribution Market Report - Focus on Internet - UK 2014-2018 Analysis' provides a comprehensive and up-to-date overall review of the distribution market for electrical products in 2014, with a particular focus on online sales. Focusing on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, the report is comprehensive, informative and will facilitate operational and strategic decision-making processes. This report does not cover the following; consumer or office electrical/electronic equipment (TV's, computers, photocopiers etc.), small and free standing electrical appliances and products used within automotive or utilities applications or within the oil, gas or petrochemical industries.
Key content covered:
- Market Structure, Market Size and Key Trends
- Overall electrical products market analysis.
- Analysis of e-commerce and internet access within the UK electrical products industry.Thorough review of the structure of the sector.
- Distribution channel review - Electrical wholesalers, specialist e-tailers, catalogue/electronic, component distributors, merchants, DIY retailers.
- Product sector review - Cable Systems, Lighting, Wiring Accessories, Tools and Test, Equipment, Automation and Control Products, Circuit Protection Equipment, Security and Fire Systems, Built-In Domestic Appliances, Ventilation & Air Conditioning, Electric Heating and Water Heating, Renewable Energy Products and Data Networking.
Key areas of insight include:
- Changing Distribution shares.
- Growth of the mail order/internet sector.
- Analysis of individual distribution channels.
- Preferences and buying patterns among contractors and installers.
- Analysis of individual product sectors.
Supply Chain and Channel Share
- Share by value of the major distribution channels within the electrical products market in 2013, and review of recent and projected changes to distribution market share.
- Analysis of each of the major distribution channels in terms of value, market trends, strengths and weaknesses. Also reviewed are company profiles for leading companies within each sector and sub-sector. The sectors covered are:
- Electrical wholesalers - market performance, key characteristics etc.
- Trade catalogue/internet based distributors - electronic component distributors, industrial products distributors and other mail order operations selling electrical products to the trade.
- Direct distribution, super distributors and pre-packers.
- Retail sector - DIY multiples, electrical/electronic product retailers, general grocery retailers and department stores and specialist retailers.
- Builders, Plumbers and HV Merchants and Others
- Analysis of each of the major distribution channels in terms of online presence and offering.
UK Market for Online Sales of Electrical Products
- Total market for electrical products distributed via the internet - analysis of size by value, historical trends and market characteristics.
- Forecasts to 2018 of the growth of internet based distribution in the electrical industry.
- Key characteristics of the internet and mobile ordering sector, with some contractor views and opinions on internet usage, also barriers to growth of this distribution channel etc.
- Review of key market influences - including general trends in e-commerce and mobile access, trends in research and social networking, digital shopping, expansion of click & collect and other online buying trends.
Electrical Products Market
- Overall electrical products market size 2008-2014 and forecast through to 2018.
- Total product mix 2014 by value, with product sectors including: Lighting, Electrical Accessories, Security & Fire, Electric heating, ventilation, renewables, tools & equipment, data networking equipment, domestic appliances etc.
- Market size and key trends and influences impacting on the individual market sectors, with observations and comment on the trends and outlook in each of the key sectors.
- Product breakdowns within individual product sectors, distribution mix within individual product sectors.
- Top electrical contractors in the UK - profiles of leading contractors.
- Procurement practices among electrical contractors.
In 2014, the market for online distribution of electrical products was estimated to be worth around £400 million, representing 3% of the overall electrical products market. The market has seen consistent growth since 2008 as use of online purchasing and mobile technology has increased, and as suppliers have developed online offerings.
The distribution network within electrical products is complex, reflecting a wide range of products and a variety of end users. This report focuses on those products purchased online and delivered to individuals or to a collection point via any distribution channel. The largest distribution channels within online sales are electrical wholesalers and specialist retailers. Merchants and DIY retailers are also significant players in this market. Companies are widening product ranges offered by online channels and creating special online ranges and promotions in order to promote this type of distribution and to appeal to a wider audience.
Whilst electrical wholesalers are strong in the sales of electrical products, their online capabilities are less well developed than certain retailers. Internet retailers' development of strong online sales platforms has allowed them to gain strength in lighting and appliances in particular. Electrical Wholesalers' development of online platforms may be hindered by the complex discount systems in place within branches, which can be difficult to implement online. Important companies involved in the distribution of electrical products via the internet include Screwfix, Rexel, YESSS, B&Q, Homebase, Currys, Travis Perkins and a number of specialist online retailers, particularly those focusing on lighting and appliances. Electrical products are increasingly being sourced online, both by contractors and end users and as such the outlook for electrical products distributed via this means remains positive.
The internet electrical products market is expected to continue to outperform the overall electrical products market, increasing 37% between 2014 and 2018. Growth, while positive, will be limited by the lack of transactional capabilities of some of the larger wholesalers and the slow uptake by electrical contractors who may remain loyal to local wholesaler branches and the discounts they offer. In addition, the traditional buying behaviour patterns of contractors may also delay gains in the Internet sector over the medium term future. The market may remain limited in certain product sectors, such as electrical accessories, where items are low value, commodity products and distributors hold a constant, high stock level, providing less benefit to pre-ordering. In addition, growth may be limited in some sectors by the technical or specialist installation requirements of certain products, leading to the specialist contractors retailing their position and often buying through traditional channels.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 13
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. UK DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 17
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 OVERALL ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS MARKET 17
- 4.3 MARKET STRUCTURE 19
- 4.3.1 Overall Supply Chain 19
- 4.3.2 Electrical Wholesalers 22
- 4.3.3 Electronic Component Distributors 27
- 4.3.4 Merchants 28
- 4.3.5 DIY Retailers 32
- 4.3.6 Other Retail Distribution Channels 34
- 4.3.7 Specialist Distributors and Direct Supply 35
- 4.3.8 OEMs, Panel Builders & System Integrators 37
- 5. FOCUS ON ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 38
- 5.1 DEFINITION - ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 38
- 5.2 MARKET FOR ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS - SIZE & TRENDS 39
- 5.2.1 Market Size and Trends 39
- 5.2.2 E-Tailers 40
- 5.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 42
- 5.3.1 E-Commerce 42
- 5.3.2 Mobile Internet Access 44
- 5.3.3 Online Research 47
- 5.3.4 Social Networking/Reviews/Blogs 48
- 5.3.5 Digital Advertising 48
- 5.3.6 Other Online Shopping Trends 50
- 6. ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 51
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 51
- 6.2 LIGHTING 51
- 6.3 ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES 55
- 6.4 SECURITY SYSTEMS & FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS 59
- 6.5 ELECTRIC HEATING PRODUCTS 60
- 6.6 VENTILATION 62
- 6.7 OTHER PRODUCTS 65
- 7. CONTRACTOR REVIEW 69
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 69
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK MARKET FOR ONLINE ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2008-2018 (£M DSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2011-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 10
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1994-2018 12
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2018 13
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6 ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS MARKET (£M DSP) 2008-2018 18
- CHART 7 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 20
- CHART 8 DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2013 BY VALUE (DSP) 21
- CHART 9 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE % MIX - NATIONALS VERSUS LOCALS & REGIONALS - BY VALUE 2008-2014 22
- CHART 10 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2014 BY VALUE % (REXEL, EDMUNDSON, CEF ETC). 24
- CHART 11 MERCHANTS' MARKET SHARES 2013 29
- CHART 12 DISTRIBUTION OF LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2013 BY MULTIPLE - BY VALUE (%) 34
- TABLE 13 MARKET FOR ONLINE DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 2008-2018 (£M DSP) 39
- TABLE 14 TOTAL E-COMMERCE SALES THROUGH WEBSITES (EXCLUDING EDI) 2008-2013 (£BN) 42
- CHART 15 UK E-COMMERCE MARKET - % SHARE OF TOTAL RETAIL SALES 2008 - 2014 43
- CHART 16 BUSINESSES PURCHASING VIA E-COMMERCE IN 2012 BY COMPANY SIZE 44
- CHART 17 GB USERS WITH MOBILE INTERNET ACCESS 2009 - 2014 45
- CHART 18 MOBILE INTERNET USE - % ACCESS BY AGE GROUP 2014 46
- CHART 19 MOBILE INTERNET USE - % MIX BY DEVICE USED 2013 46
- CHART 20 ONLINE RESEARCHER PROFILE BY AGE CATEGORY 2014 48
- CHART 21 ONLINE ADVERTISING - % MIX BY SECTOR 2013 (PAID FOR SEARCHES, DISPLAY ADS, ETC) 49
- CHART 22 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 2014 BY VALUE (%) 51
- CHART 23 UK LIGHTING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (LAMPS, LUMINAIRES AND CONTROLS) 2013 - % BY VALUE 52
- CHART 24 UK LIGHTING MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE 54
- CHART 25 ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2013 - WIRING ACCESSORIES, CIRCUIT PROTECTION, CABLES % BY VALUE 56
- CHART 26 UK ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES DISTRIBUTION MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE 57
- CHART 27 PRODUCT MIX OF SECURITY & FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS % BY VALUE 2013 59
- CHART 28 UK FIRE & SECURITY PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE 60
- CHART 29 ELECTRIC HEATING PRODUCT MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE (SPACE HEATING, CONTROLS, CENTRAL, WATER) 61
- CHART 30 UK ELECTRICAL HEATING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE 62
- CHART 31 OVERALL MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (NON-DOMESTIC, DOMESTIC) BY VALUE 2013 63
- CHART 32 UK VENTILATION DISTRIBUTION MIX 2013 - % BY VALUE 64
- CHART 33 PRODUCT MIX OF BUILT-IN APPLIANCES % BY VALUE 2013 66
- CHART 34 MARKET SHARES BY ELECTRICAL CONTRACTING TURNOVER 2012/13 70
- TABLE 35 TOP ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS IN THE UK - BY ESTIMATED TURNOVER FROM ELECTRICAL WORK 2012/13 71
The 'Electrical Products Distribution Market Report - Focus on the Internet - UK 2014-2018 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.