Electrical Wholesale Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 08/05/2019 / Number of Pages: 65 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 15th edition of the 'Electrical Wholesale Market Report - UK 2019-2023' answers the need for both a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the electrical wholesalers' market focusing on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects. It is comprehensive, informative and will facilitate operational and strategic decision-making processes
Key issues covered in the report:
- Market activity levels with forecasts to 2023.
- Key influences including analysis of construction and housing trends.
- Market structure and analysis of the leading electrical wholesaler groups.
- Supply chain - changing influence of omni-channel, growth of Screwfix etc.
- Customers and key end-use sectors.
- Product Mix - products sold by electrical wholesalers..
Areas of particular interest include:
- Product mix - review of product opportunities and growth sectors.
- Strengths and weaknesses of electrical wholesalers and competing channels.
- Key trends in the sector, with a focus on e-commerce and product opportunities.
- Impact of legislation and standards on the market.
- Recent acquisition activity and impact of raw material prices on the market.
- Detailed market data and insight on the electrical wholesale market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Screwfix, City Electrical Factors, Rexel Group, Edmundson Electrical, YESSS, Eyre & Elliston, Medlock Electrical Distributors, TLC Electrical Supplies, Kew Electrical, BEW Electrical Distributors, Stearn Electric, Routeco, Lincs Electrical Wholesalers, Parmley Graham, R&M Electrical Group, Rapid Electrical Distributors, Routeco, Stearn Electric, TLC, and more.
- Review of the wider electrical products distribution structure.
- Market size in value terms from 2013 with forecasts through to 2023.
- Market trends, background, changes, opportunities and threats.
- Review of key market influences - economic factors, construction & housebuilding, renewable energy products, trends in electrical appliances, raw material prices, international trade etc.
- Review of the impact of legislation and standards, with a focus on energy efficiency.
- Market prospects with implications for suppliers and distributors, potential impact of Brexit.
- Review of characteristics and trends amongst electrical wholesale companies.
- Review of major electrical wholesaler groups - number of outlets, key characteristics, regional strengths, market positioning etc.
- Structural changes in the market, new entrants, key acquisitions etc.
- Analysis of profitability for electrical wholesalers over time.
- Wholesaler strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, compared with other channels of distribution.
- Analysis of wholesalers' environment - key competitive channels, buying groups, super distributors and other influencing sectors.
- Review of issues such as own label products, e-commerce, sustainability etc.
- Market size, growth and trends for each major product area - cables, lighting, wiring accessories, circuit protection and switchgear, heating, fire & security systems etc.
- Product mix for electrical wholesalers.
- Electrical wholesalers' share of each major product area.
- Key competitive channels and major suppliers for each product area.
- Review of growth sectors, product development and new opportunities for wholesalers..
Customers and End Use Segments
- Customer mix of electrical wholesalers.
- Review of the electrical contracting market - market size, leading M&E contractors.
- Review of other key customer segments such as facilities management, panel builders, etc.
The market has undergone a period of growth since 2014, supported by a strengthening economy and improved construction output. In 2016, growth slowed as uncertainty about the impact of Brexit constrained construction output. 2017 saw improved growth, particularly in the domestic sector, but 2018 resulted in slower output growth.
Factors supporting the market include sales growth in niche markets, innovation in product development, the development of new, specialist services and non-core products, and new legislation and regulations leading to a requirement for higher specification of products.
Factors negatively affecting market growth include continued public sector budget constraints, uncertainty over the outcome of the Brexit process, price competition with many products in the mature phase of their life cycle, threat from other distribution channels and longer product life-spans which have affected the replacement market.
Product sectors experiencing relatively good performance in the current market include lighting, heating and ventilation, as well as newer product areas such as automation and electric vehicle charging.
Product development is driven by the trend towards integrating products and systems, the desire for energy efficiency and environmental concerns, along with more sophisticated controls, often using app technology that can be used on any smartphone or tablet.
The electrical wholesalers market is expected to continue to grow in 2019, although at a modest rate, with current forecasts for construction output more cautious largely due to the uncertainty of the outcome of Brexit and associated delays regarding investment decisions.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 11
- 3.2 KEY DATA 12
- 3.2.1 GDP 12
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 12
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 13
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 14
- 3.2.5 Sterling 15
- 4. THE MARKET 16
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION & STRUCTURE 16
- 4.1.1 Growth in Online Trading 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 20
- 4.2.1 Current Market 20
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 21
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 22
- 4.3.1 Construction Output 22
- 4.3.2 Product Development 24
- 4.3.3 Demand for Electricity 26
- 4.3.4 Imports and Pricing 27
- 4.3.5 Legislation and Standards 28
- 5. ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS 31
- 5.1 CHARACTERISTICS & TRENDS 31
- 5.2 MARKET SHARES 34
- 5.3 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE COMPANIES 34
- 5.4 STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES & THREATS 42
- 6. PRODUCTS 44
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 44
- 6.2 PRODUCT SECTORS 45
- 6.2.1 Electrical Accessories 45
- 6.2.2 Lighting 48
- 6.2.3 Security and Fire Protection Systems 50
- 6.2.4 Built-In-Appliances 52
- 6.2.5 Electric Heating Products 53
- 6.2.6 Other Products 54
- 7. CUSTOMERS & END USE SECTORS 57
- 7.1 OVERVIEW OF ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' CUSTOMERS 57
- 7.2 ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS 57
- 7.3 FACILITIES MANAGEMENT COMPANIES 60
- 7.4 PANEL BUILDERS/OEMS 62
- 7.5 IN-HOUSE ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS 65
- 7.6 OTHER SECTORS 65
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS MARKET 2014-2023 BY VALUE (£M WSP) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 13
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 14
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 14
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 7: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS 16
- TABLE 8: THE ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS MARKET BY VALUE 2014-2023 (£M WSP) 20
- CHART 9: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI -CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013-2023 22
- TABLE 10: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 23
- CHART 11: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2018 AND 2023 - % BY VALUE GB 24
- TABLE 12: CONSUMPTION OF ELECTRICITY IN THE UK 2012-2017 (TWH) 26
- CHART 13: DEMAND FOR ELECTRICITY BY END USER 2017 26
- TABLE 14: IMPORTS OF SELECTED ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS FOR CONSTRUCTION USE 2015-2018 BY VALUE (£M) 28
- CHART 15: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE % MIX: NATIONALS VERSUS LOCALS & REGIONALS - BY VALUE 2014-2018 31
- TABLE 16: OVERVIEW LEADING COMPANIES BRANCHES 2017 AND 2019 32
- CHART 17: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' % PBT ON TURNOVER 2012-2018 33
- CHART 18: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' AVERAGE % PBT ON TURNOVER 2012-2018 NATIONAL VERSUS LOCAL & REGIONAL 33
- CHART 19: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2018 BY VALUE % 34
- TABLE 20: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - EDMUNDSON ELECTRICAL 35
- TABLE 21: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - REXEL 36
- TABLE 22: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - CEF 36
- TABLE 23: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - SCREWFIX 37
- TABLE 24: KEY INDICATORS UK ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET - YESSS 38
- TABLE 25: SWOT ANALYSIS OF THE ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' MARKET 42
- TABLE 26: MIX OF CORE PRODUCT SALES THROUGH ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS 2018 (£M WSP) 44
- TABLE 27: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS' SHARE BY CORE PRODUCT MARKETS 2018 (£M WSP) 45
- CHART 28: ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES PRODUCT MIX 2018 -% BY VALUE 46
- CHART 29: UK LIGHTING MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2018 - % BY VALUE 49
- CHART 30: PRODUCT MIX OF SECURITY & FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS (%) BY VALUE 2018 50
- CHART 31: PRODUCT MIX OF BUILT-IN APPLIANCES (%) BY VALUE 2018 52
- CHART 32: ELECTRIC HEATING PRODUCT MIX 2018 - % BY VALUE (SPACE HEATING, CONTROLS, CENTRAL, WATER) 53
- CHART 33: SALES BY CUSTOMER TYPE BY VALUE 2018 (%) 57
- TABLE 34: ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND 2015 & 2018 58
- TABLE 35: LEADING ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS IN THE UK - BY ESTIMATED TURNOVER FROM ELECTRICAL WORK 2018 59
- TABLE 36: TOP 10 FM SUPPORT SERVICES COMPANIES IN THE UK 61
- CHART 37: NUMBER OF UK MANUFACTURERS OF ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION & CONTROL APPARATUS BY TURNOVER (£'000) 2018 62
- CHART 38: FUEL INPUT FOR ELECTRICITY GENERATION BY MILLION TOE 2014-2017 63
- TABLE 39: UK RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY GENERATION (GWH) - BY TECHNOLOGY 2014 - 17 64
The 'Electrical Wholesale Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.