Electricity Generating Set Market (up to 750 kVA) - UK 2009-2013
Published: 29/10/2009 / Number of Pages: 71 / Price:
Introduction and Overview
The sixth edition of the report "Electricity Generating Set Market - UK 2009-2013" incorporates both original input and primary research, and report represents an up to date and informed review of the market. The report reviews developments within the industry, with emphasis on both qualitative and quantitative assessment - both essential requirements for good marketing planning. Recent trends, key influencing factors and forecasts of future developments are assessed.
Key content covered:
- Review of uk market size and key trends
- Analysis by product group and generator rating
- Analysis of supply structure - key suppliers, shares, distribution channels including industrial distributors, direct/oem, plant and tool hire, others.
- Review of end-use sectors - industrial (manufacturing, process, internet and telecom); construction (including site power); water and sewage; oil, gas and marine; domestic and leisure, etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Major factors influencing market development up to 2013.
- Niche applications for gensets e.g. nuclear, telecom, marine.
- Key suppliers (up to 750 kva) - market shares by value in 2008, acquisition activity, etc.
- Review of key market influences including construction, levels of electricity consumption, the rental sector, wind turbines, railways, roads, etc.
- Review of uk genset production levels and exports.
Some of the companies included:
Aggreko plc, aksa international (uk) ltd, allam marine, a-plant, arc-gen, aries power solutions ltd, avk/seg (uk) ltd, briggs and stratton corporation, british polar engines, broadcrown ltd, caterpillar inc, cummins generator technologies (cgt), cummins power generation, dale power solutions plc, eagle machinery ltd/eagle power ltd, edina ltd, f.g. wilson engineering ltd, fki plc, genetech ltd, genset ltd, hewden /finning, honda (uk) power equipment, houchin aerospace, indamex, ingersoll-rand, interpower, jcb power systems, lister-petter ltd, ottomotorres, powerco systems international, pramac uk ltd, sandhurst manufacturing company (smc), scorpion power systems, sdmo energy, sip (industrial products) ltd, speedy, turner group, wärtsilä, welland engineering, yorpower manufacturing ltd.
- Overall uk market size by value for electricity generating sets (up to 750kva), 2004-2013.
- Market trends from 2004. Trends for the future, including growth prospects, and major factors influencing market development up to 2013.
- Forecasts up to 2013 and key changes and influences in the market.
- Assessment of key factors influencing end-use demand - industrial, construction, including construction equipment rental, water and sewage, oil, gas and marine, domestic and leisure, etc.
- Review of uk overall production levels, impact of the export trade, historical trends, current situation, future prospects, etc.
- Analysis of the market by major product sectors. Trends and future prospects in the product sectors.
- Analysis of the market by generator rating.
- End use applications - mix by end-use sector, trend within each sector - industrial-process, manufacturing, internet and telecom, construction and trends in hire market sectors, oil, gas and marine, water and sewage, domestic and leisure. Influences on the development of the generating set market.
Supply and Distribution
- Key distribution channels including direct/oem, industrial distributors, plant and tool hire, marine, agricultural, e-commerce specialists. Review of major companies within the distribution channels.
- Supply structure - major genset manufacturers market shares, changing supply structure, growing concentration through acquisition. Key suppliers within each product sector.
- Review of key suppliers. Characteristics of the major companies in the uk market.
- Review of market influences - levels of industrial and commercial construction, manufacturing output, exchange rate fluctuations, trends in the usage of electricity, including lighting, airconditioning, etc.
- Trends in major application areas.
- Analysis of future prospects - forecast of market size up to 2013. Key factors influencing forecasts within product and end-use markets.
The UK Genset market up to 750 kVA comprises petrol, diesel and gas generating sets and was estimated to be worth some £160 million in 2008, but reducing down to £147m in 2009. While the UK market for gensets has experienced modest growth during the past two years, the genset export sector has achieved high levels of growth reflecting the UK Genset supply industry's continuing penetration of overseas markets. In 2008, the value of total production of generators, up to 750 kVA in the UK, is estimated to be in excess of £1 billion, illustrating the substantial nature of the UK genset export trade, which also tends to strengthen the UK genset industry.
Key factors underpinning market growth include underlying growth in electricity consumption, and the trend to clean, secure power, also emergency power and disaster recovery, while forecast long-term shortages of power are also likely to represent significant motivating factors. Current forecasts indicate that the UK genset market up to750 kVA is likely to continue to grow through to 2013, reaching a value of around £159 million. Furthermore, the value of UK production of generators up to 750kVA is considerably higher, estimated to be in excess £1.2 billion in 2013, reflecting the continuing high level of exports to overseas countries.
Key Application areas include industrial (36%), construction (22%), oil, gas and marine (19%), water and sewage, also domestic and leisure. While the overall genset market has been adversely impacted by the global financial crisis and downturn in construction 2008-09, it is likely that low level recovery in the long term will provide some opportunities for manufacturers.
The UK genset industry is likely to be motivated by the development of the export trade, with niche sector growth opportunities including utility and infrastructure power for emerging countries, mobile telecommunications networks, and significant demand in the global power generation and oil and gas sectors. Forecast long term shortages in electricity supply are likely to provide additional opportunities for independent power producers, who may also develop co-generation projects including heating and power, also heating, cooling and power.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATE PROJECTIONS 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION PROJECTIONS 12
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 13
- 3.6 STERLING 14
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE UK MARKET FOR ELECTRICITY GENERATING SETS UP TO 750 KVA 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.2.1 Market Background 19
- 4.2.2 Current Situation 20
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects 20
- 4.3 UK PRODUCTION, FORECASTS, IMPORTS, EXPORTS OF GENERATORS 23
- 4.3.1 UK Production Analysis By Value 23
- 4.3.2 UK Production Analysis By Volume 24
- 4.3.3 Analysis of Imports and Exports Of Generators 25
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES AFFECTING THE FUTURE FOR GENSETS 27
- 4.4.1 Overview 27
- 4.4.2 Construction 27
- 4.4.3 Railway and Roads Sector 29
- 4.4.4 Rising Electricity Consumption 30
- 4.4.5 Aerospace 31
- 4.4.6 Air Conditioning 31
- 4.4.7 Portable Accommodation 32
- 4.4.8 Lighting Trends 33
- 4.4.9 The Hire Sector - UK Construction Equipment Rental Market 34
- 5. PRODUCT SEGMENTATION 36
- 5.1 PRODUCT TYPES 36
- 5.1.1 Overall Trends And Mix 36
- 5.1.2 Mainline Generating Sets 37
- 5.1.3 Generating Sets for Marine Applications 38
- 5.1.4 Oil & Gas 38
- 5.1.5 Small Domestic Leisure and Industrial Gensets 39
- 5.1.6 Combined Heat And Power Generating Sets 40
- 5.1.7 Power Sectors 41
- 5.1.8 Trends in Generator Product Development 43
- 5.2 PRODUCT SEGMENTATION BY GENERATOR RATING 45
- 5.2.1 Mix 45
- 5.2.2 Gensets Up To 7.5 kVA 47
- 5.2.3 Gensets 7.5-75 kVA 47
- 5.2.4 Gensets 75-375 kVA 47
- 5.2.5 Gensets 375-750 kVA 48
- 5.3 END-USE APPLICATIONS 48
- 5.3.1 Mix 48
- 5.3.2 Industrial Sector 49
- 5.3.3 Construction And On-Site Power 51
- 5.3.4 Oil, Gas and Marine 53
- 5.3.5 The Water Industry 54
- 5.3.6 Domestic And Leisure 55
- 6. DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 56
- 6.1 DISTRIBUTION MIX AND STRUCTURE 56
- 6.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 58
- 6.2.1 Industrial and Construction 58
- 6.2.2 Hire & Sale 59
- 6.2.3 Marine 61
- 6.2.4 Agricultural 61
- 6.2.5 DIY Multiples 62
- 6.2.6 E- Commerce Specialists 62
- 6.2.7 OEM 62
- 6.2.8 Industrial Products Distributors 62
- 7. MAJOR SUPPLIERS OF GENERATING SETS UP TO 750 KVA 63
- 7.1 GENSET MANUFACTURING AND SUPPLIERS 63
- 7.1.1 Market Shares 63
- 7.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS 64
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK GENSET MARKET UP TO 750KVA 2006-2013 (£M MSP) 7
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2013 11
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2013 13
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2005-2009 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION 2001 CENSUS ('000) 16
- TABLE 6 THE SIZE OF THE UK MARKET FOR GENERATING SETS, 2004-2008, £M MSP 19
- TABLE 7 THE UK MARKET FORECAST FOR GENERATING SETS 2008-2013 (£M MSP) 21
- CHART 8 UK ELECTRICITY GENERATING SETS MARKET 2006-2013 CONSTANT 1995 PRICES £M MSP 23
- TABLE 9 FORECAST VALUE OF UK PRODUCTION OF GENERATORS UP TO 750KVA 2004-2013 £M 24
- TABLE 10 ANALYSIS OF UK MANUFACTURERS SALES OF GENERATING SETS UP TO 750 KVA - 2007 25
- TABLE 11 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF GENERATORS UP TO 750 KVA, 1998, 2007 AND 2008 26
- CHART 12 VALUE OF CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK 2000-2009 28
- CHART 13 FORECAST VALUE OF ROAD & RAIL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2002-2013 (£ BILLION) 29
- TABLE 14 SALES BY THE PUBLIC ELECTRICITY SUPPLY SYSTEMS 1995-2009 30
- TABLE 15 FORECAST UK AIR CONDITIONING MARKET 2006-2010 £M MSP 32
- CHART 16 FORECAST UK LIGHTING AND CONTROLS MARKET 2004-2010 33
- TABLE 17 ESTIMATED SHARES BY TYPE OF HIRE COMPANY IN HIRE PRODUCT SECTORS 2008 35
- TABLE 18 SEGMENTATION OF THE UK GENERATING SET MARKET UP TO 750KVA 2008 AT £M MSP 37
- CHART 19 UK MIX OF GENSETS BY SELECTED RATING CATEGORIES - BY VALUE, 2008 45
- CHART 20 ESTIMATED MARKET SHARE FOR GENSETS BY SELECTED RATING CATEGORIES FOR 1997 & 2008 46
- TABLE 21 MIX OF END-USE APPLICATIONS FOR THE UK GENSET MARKET 2008 48
- TABLE 22 CONTRACTORS OUTPUT - RAILWAYS 2004, 2005, 2008 & 2009 (£M) 52
- TABLE 23 PROPOSED WATER AND SEWERAGE CAPITAL EXPENDITURE PROGRAMMES 2010-2015 BY COMPANY, £BN 54
- TABLE 24 GENSET MANUFACTURERS' SALES UP TO 750 KVA BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS - 2008 56
- CHART 25 MARKET DISTRIBUTION OF ELECTRICITY GENERATING SETS UP TO 750 KVA 57
- TABLE 26 MARKET SHARES OF THE UK PLANT HIRE OPERATORS 59
- TABLE 27 ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES OF LEADING TOOL HIRE COMPANIES BY VALUE 60
- TABLE 28 UK KEY SUPPLIERS - MARKET SHARES BY VALUE UP TO 750 KVA IN 2008
The 'Electricity Generating Set Market - UK 2009-2013' costs £495+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.