Electronic Security and Access Control Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 12/04/2016 / Number of Pages: 58 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the 'Electronic Security and Access Control Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' incorporates analysis of the key electronic security product sectors along with installation, servicing and monitoring of electronic security systems. The report includes a detailed review of recent trends and developments in addition to the future prospects of the market, and offers a comprehensive review of market developments.
Key sections covered:
- Overall electronic security and access control market - size by value, product sectors, key trends and market forecasts.
- Product sector review - market size, key influences, trends, future prospects etc. for;
- intruder alarms
- access control
- Supply and distribution - main suppliers and key distribution channels.
Key areas of insight include:
- Lower levels of major construction projects and RMI programmes in the public sector have impacted on the CCTV, access control and intruder alarm sectors.
- Technological developments have continued to drive the replacement market in particular, e.g. remote monitoring, cloud based surveillance etc.
- Increasing focus on overall lifecycle cost of a system including product, installation, operational costs, monitoring and management costs.
- Greater involvement of IT software and system providers in the electronic security industry driven by technological developments.
- Increasing emphasis on providing a full product and service package i.e. equipment, software, remote monitoring and maintenance.
- Detailed market data and insight on the electronic security & access control market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Abel Alarm Co, AD Group, ADI Global Distribution (ADI Gardiner), ADT Fire & Security, ADT UK, Advanced Access, Allegion UK, Assa Abloy, Bosch Security Systems UK, BPT, Bradley Lomas Electrolok, BT RedCARE, CBC (EUROPE), CCTV Center, CEM Systems, Chubb Fire & Security, Elmdene International, Enterprise Security Distribution, Euro Access, FLIR Systems, G4S Secure Solutions, Grosvenor Technology, HBL (Harry B Litherland & Co), Honeywell Security UK, Johnson Controls, JVC Professional Europe, Kaba UK, Kinetic CCTV, Lockey Digital UK, Newmark Security, Norbain SD, Optex Europe, Panasonic Corporation, Paxton Access, Pyronix, Quadrant Security Group, Reliance High-Tech, Remsdaq, Salto, Samsung Techwin Europe, Secom, Siemens Building Technologies, Sony, Stanley Security Solutions, Swift Fire and Security Group, Synectics Plc, TDSi (Time & Data Systems International), Texecom, UTC Fire & Security, Westminster Group.
The Market for Electronic Security
- Overview of electronic security market for products and services, plus an analysis of underlying trends and key influences on each of the main sectors of the security market - Intruder Alarms, CCTV and Access Control.
- Historical background - development of the market, influencing factors, economic influences, etc.
- Market size by value for electronic security products and services - 2014-2020 - market prospects and factors influencing future growth potential with forecasts up to 2020.
- Key influences and trends on the development of the market - impact of the economy, technological developments (growth of VCA, networked systems, Smartphones/Tablet Apps), price competition and trends within the manufacturing and construction sectors.
Electronic Security Products and Services
- Value share of the market (products and services) accounted for by Access Control, Intruder Alarm and CCTV in 2015 and forecasts for 2020, background and current trends in addition to the anticipated trends within the various sectors.
- Market share by value for services accounted for by Access Control, Intruder Alarm and CCTV in 2015, current and future trends and forecasts from 2016-2020.
- Product features and trends, advantages and disadvantages offered by the various types of technology and key application areas. Growth of access control/CCTV, security, crime, general surveillance issues, IT, Mobile devices etc.
- CCTV equipment/product market size from 2010-2020, factors influencing the market, product trends and applications, future prospects.
- Access Control equipment/product market size from 2010-2020, factors influencing the market, product trends and applications, future prospects.
- Intruder Alarm equipment/product market size from 2010-2020, factors influencing the market, product trends and applications, future prospects.
End-Use Applications and Drivers
- Mix of security system installations by end-use sector for 2013 and 2016.
- Principal end use sectors - share taken by key sectors including commercial, industrial, public sector, health and education.
- Product mix estimates by sector. Trends within the key end-use sectors and related products, e.g. emphasis on additional services including after-sales support, growth of integrated and networked systems.
- Growth areas by end-use sector and prospects for electronic security products and services.
- Review of the major channels and trends, including direct supply, specialist distributors, electrical wholesalers, etc.
- Review of key companies including equipment manufacturers, distributors and installers - company profiles, turnover, key characteristics.
- Future developments in terms of the overall market - product trends, end use sectors and economic influences, in addition to other influences such as technology, servicing, price competition and changes in the supply structure, Facilities Management companies etc.
The market for electronic security and access control products and services has improved following several years of relatively poor performance, driven by price deflation and a sluggish construction sector. A decline in major construction projects and RMI programmes in the public sector has affected new installations in the CCTV, access control and intruder alarm sectors over the past few years. Public sector installations in areas such as city centres have been the main area of demand for CCTV in recent years. The upturn in 2015 has been driven by improvements in the construction sector, but the market remains restricted by competitive pricing, with high levels of cheaper imports and competitive prices in the technology sector.
In terms of the mix of sales in 2015, CCTV accounts for the majority of the market with a 50% share, followed by intruder alarms with 30% and access control with 20%. The intruder alarm market is increasingly reliant on replacement purchases but competition also remains high between intruder alarms and other security products, such as CCTV and access control - particularly systems which can be monitored remotely. Intruder alarms as standalone products in the commercial sector are in decline. Industry sources suggest that IP-based products now account for the majority of all CCTV sales, particularly in new installations. Overall, the access control market has remained fairly stable during recent years, with price deflation being less of an issue compared to video surveillance products. New technology - particularly developments in the software sector, along with a gradual shift from mechanical to electrical locks are forecast to continue to drive replacement sales. Cost has been a driving factor for specifiers and end-users of electronic security systems in recent years and this trend is likely to continue with budget restrictions in the public sector.
Technological developments have lead to greater involvement of IT software and system providers in the electronic security industry. For example, Apple, Android smart phone and tablet interfacing for remote access to security systems continues to be a growth sector in all aspects of the electronic security market. Competitive pricing and a greater focus on manufacturing efficiencies means that high quality 4K and HD megapixel systems are more affordable, facilitating a shift away from analogue to digital products. Specifiers will also continue to focus on the whole life cost of the electronic security system, including replacements, add-ons and management costs, which will influence their choice of products and operating systems. These factors should drive the wider uptake of IP, wireless technology, analytics and cloud-based services for example, which can reduce capital expenditure.
In the short to medium term future, the prospects for the overall electronic security market are positive. The 2015 Autumn Statement outlined increases in capital spending on infrastructure and education, with a consistent level of spend committed on health. Student accommodation may also constitute a growth area going forward. The sustained economic recovery should also support installations in some private end-use sectors. Construction levels in the office sector are expected to experience growth of between 5% and 8% annually up to 2019, and demand in general is improving, although the large supply base in this sector is likely to support the replacement and upgrade of security systems rather than large scale new installations. Prospects in the retail sector will remain dependent upon the structural changes now facing the market.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE (PRODUCTS AND SERVICES) 18
- 4.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS 22
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 23
- 4.4.1 Legislative & Regulatory 23
- 4.4.2 Crime Rates 25
- 4.4.3 False Alarms 26
- 4.4.4 Security Inspectorates, Accreditation Bodies and Associations 26
- 5. ELECTRONIC SECURITY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 28
- 5.1 MARKET OVERVIEW - PRODUCTS AND SERVICES 28
- 5.2 ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET SERVICES 29
- 5.2.1 Market definition 29
- 5.2.2 Market Size and Trends - Services 30
- 5.2.3 Trends in Services 30
- 5.3 CLOSED CIRCUIT TELEVISION (CCTV) 31
- 5.3.1 Market definition 31
- 5.3.2 Market Size and Trends 31
- 5.3.3 Product Trends 33
- 5.4 ACCESS CONTROL 35
- 5.4.1 Market Definition 35
- 5.4.2 Market Size and Trends 35
- 5.4.3 Product Trends 37
- 5.5 INTRUDER ALARMS 38
- 5.5.1 Market definition 38
- 5.5.2 Market Size and Trends 39
- 6. END-USE APPLICATIONS AND DRIVERS 41
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 41
- 6.2 KEY END USE SECTORS 41
- 6.2.1 Industrial 45
- 6.2.2 Commercial Offices 45
- 6.2.3 Retail 45
- 6.2.4 Public Sector 46
- 6.2.5 Infrastructure - Key Programmes 46
- 6.2.6 Residential 47
- 7. SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION 49
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 49
- 7.2 KEY SUPPLIERS 50
- 7.3 SPECIFICATION AND INSTALLATION 56
- 7.4 DISTRIBUTORS 57
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET AND FORECASTS 2014-2020 (£M AT END-USER PRICES) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2011-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6 UK ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET AND FORECASTS 2014-2020 (£M AT END-USER PRICES) 19
- CHART 7 KEY FACTORS INFLUENCING THE ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET - PEST ANALYSIS 21
- TABLE 8 INCIDENTS OF CRIME SURVEY AND POLICE RECORDED CRIME, FROM 2013/14 TO 2014/15 25
- CHART 9 ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET - ACCESS CONTROL, CCTV, INTRUDER ALARMS % SHARE BY VALUE 2015 28
- CHART 10 ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET (INTRUDER ALARMS, CCTV, ACCESS CONTROL) - SHARE BY VALUE 2015-2020 29
- CHART 11 ACCESS CONTROL, CCTV, INTRUDER ALARMS SERVICES MARKET SHARE 2015 BY VALUE 30
- TABLE 12 UK MARKET FOR ELECTRONIC SECURITY SERVICES VALUE (AT END-USER PRICES) 2016 2020 (£M) 31
- TABLE 13 UK CCTV EQUIPMENT MARKET (END-USER PRICES) 2010 2020 (£M) 32
- TABLE 14 THE UK ELECTRONIC ACCESS CONTROL PRODUCT MARKET 2010 2020 (£M AT END-USER PRICES) 36
- TABLE 15 UK INTRUDER ALARM PRODUCTS MARKET 2010 2020 (£M AT END-USER PRICES) 39
- TABLE 16 MIX OF SECURITY SYSTEM INSTALLATIONS % SHARE BY END-USE SECTOR 2010 & 2013 - DOMESTIC, INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL, RETAIL, FINANCIAL, LICENSED, PUBLIC SECTOR 41
- CHART 17 ELECTRONIC SECURITY MARKET PRODUCT MIX - BY END-USE SECTOR (DOMESTIC, INDUSTRIAL, COMMERCIAL, RETAIL, PUBLIC) - SHARE BY VOLUME 2016 42
- CHART 18 GROWTH AREAS BY END-USE SECTOR AND PROSPECTS FOR ELECTRONIC SECURITY PRODUCTS 2016-2017 44
- CHART 19 HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2009 - 2019 - UNITED KINGDOM ('000) 48
- CHART 20 SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL STRUCTURE FOR ELECTRONIC SECURITY PRODUCTS 2015 49
The 'Electronic Security and Access Control Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.