Event Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 09/03/2017 / Number of Pages: 66 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Event Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' provides a unique, informed and up-to-date analysis of the market and includes a review of recent market performance with forecasts up to 2021. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure and details of key players within different equipment sectors.
- Overall market size and equipment sector sizes.
- Analysis by equipment group; staging, structures, seating & marquees; portable buildings and sanitation; audio-visual and specialist lighting; power generation & climate control; interiors; traffic & crowd control, signage, security and portable access solutions; access equipment and other plant & tool hire; others - cleaning & floor preparation, health & safety etc.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2021.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Analysis of market performance 2011-2016.
- Review of key market influences including growing event industry, key end-use/client sectors, increasing expectations of clients/consumers.
- Hire product group analysis - market sizes, influences and trends - growth sectors.
- Forecast of market performances 2017-2021.
- Estimated shares of type of hire company - specialists, plant & tool, other.
Some of the companies included:
Actavo Group, ADI UK, Aggreko, All Event Hire, Amberon, Andrews Sykes Group, Andy Loos, Arena Event Services Group, Ashtead Group, Blitz Communications, Britannia Row Productions, Cameron Presentations, Carlinden Events, Carrier Rental Systems, Chevron Traffic Management, City Furniture Hire, Concept Furniture International, Contraflow, CW Plant Hire, Danco International, DB Systems, De Boer Structures, Elliott Group, Energyst Cat Rental Power, Enigma, Europa International Exhibition Services, Event Solutions, Field & Lawn (Marquees), Freeman XP, GAP Group, Generator Power, GL Events, Hamilton Rentals Ltd, Hawthorn Theatrical, Highway Traffic Management, HSS Hire, Icon Display, Index Group, JMT Indisplay, John Attwooll and Company (Tents), Jongor, KDM Hire, Lavendon Group, Lci Productions, LION Trackhire, Losberger, Media Powerhouse, Mems Power Generation, NEP Group, Neptunus Ltd, Nixon Hire, Perton Signs, PKL Group, Portable Toilet, Portakabin, Power Electrics, Qdos Event Hire, Road Traffic Solutions, Showlite, Spaceworks Furniture Hire, Stage Electrics Partnership, Stage One Creative Services, Star Events Ltd, Steeldeck Rental, Sun Traffic Signals, Thorns Group, Vp, Watkins Hire, Wernick Group, XL Video.
- Event equipment hire market (excluding conferences & meetings) - market definition in terms of end-use /client sectors and equipment hired.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2011-2016 and key characteristics of the market. Market trends and factors influencing market development, including growth in the events industry, H&S legislation, enhancing visitor experience, etc.
- Events market - market size, structure of events market - Sports, Music, Exhibitions/Trade Shows, Festivals/Culture, Corporate Hospitality etc - sector shares.
- Market forecasts - market size 2017-2021, prospects and key influencing factors on the market up to 2021.
Event Equipment Hire Companies
- Overview of supply structure - competitive, fragmented sector with most players operating in relatively limited product sectors due to the high number of specialist operators.
- Identification of main suppliers - major suppliers, key players/specialists by product group.
- Review of key hire operators - turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialisation etc.
Products and Suppliers
- Equipment groups reviewed - staging, structures, seating & marquees; portable buildings & sanitation, Mktg/admin buildings, portable kitchens; audio-visual & specialist lighting; power generation & climate control; interiors; traffic & crowd control, signage, security & portable access solutions; access equipment and other plant & tool hire; others - cleaning & floor preparation, health & safety etc.
- Estimated shares of the main product groups within the overall market.
- Product groups - definition, market size and product mix within each sector - growth areas such as AV, interior fittings etc - drivers for growth, changing demands/perceptions etc.
- Product sectors - review of products within the sector including influencing factors.
- Estimated shares of type of hire company (e.g. specialist, plant &tool, others) -strengths / weaknesses by sector and product group.
- Forecasts of market development - short term prospects in 2017/18 and medium term prospects up to 2021.
- Positive and negative factors affecting market - performance of UK economy, the events industry (influenced by the weather), health & safety, customer experience, market competition.
- Outlook for the event equipment hire market through to 2021 and key drivers.
The UK has a well-developed infrastructure of event destinations, venues and service suppliers, with estimates regarding the annual income from UK events typically at over £40 billion. The evolving events industry is providing opportunities for the event equipment hire market. The market is difficult to define, as there is no universally accepted definition of the event hire sector and market. Given these limitations, our report relates to commercial events only and our definition of the event equipment hire market includes the key product groups of staging & structures, portable buildings, audio-visual, power generation and climate control, interiors, traffic & crowd control, security, signage & portable access solutions and access & other plant hire.
The event equipment hire market has experienced growth since 2011, boosted in 2012 by the Olympic and Paralympic Games and by good weather in 2013 over the key events season, and this underlying growth has continued into 2016. However, the market has been restricted by its highly competitive nature that has tended to restrict price increases. Visitor expectations are increasing, with events such as music concerts & festivals becoming audio & visual spectacles; touch screens generally expected at exhibitions; and better facilities required at festivals. The trend for glamorous camping ('glamping') has continued, which has seen growing demand for more showers and higher standards, particularly regarding sanitation and water supply.
Events are organised for a wide range of end-use sectors. It is estimated that the exhibitions & trade show sector accounts for the largest share of the event market, accounting for an estimated 55-60% share of the market. Other key sectors include sports, music, festivals & cultural events, corporate hospitability and 'other events' such as charity events and hobby festivals. This is a highly complex and fragmented market, with very few total event equipment hire companies. However, some sectors are more fragmented than others - for example, there are hundreds of companies supplying toilets, while sectors such as audio-visual equipment, power generation and staging are much more concentrated.
The market will continue to be highly dependent on the overall events sector, which is dependent to some extent on the weather in any given year. Different weather conditions will have an impact on particular equipment hire sectors. Whilst good weather stimulates demand for most equipment types, poor weather tends to benefit sectors such as climate control, structures and portable roadways. The events industry in the UK is becoming much more 'year-round' thereby providing increased opportunities for hire companies. One-off events, such as the Olympics in 2012 and the Queen's 90th birthday in 2016, can significantly impact on the event industry, and upcoming events include the 2017 World Athletics Championship in London and the 2019 Cricket World Cup.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE EVENTS INDUSTRY 18
- 4.1 OVERVIEW OF EVENTS INDUSTRY 18
- 4.2 EVENT ORGANISING SECTOR 21
- 5. EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 24
- 5.1 DEFINITION 24
- 5.2 OVERVIEW OF EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE SECTOR 25
- 5.3 EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET STRUCTURE 26
- 5.4 MARKET SIZE 28
- 5.4.1 Background and Recent Performance 28
- 5.4.2 Future Prospects 30
- 5.5 EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET SECTORS 33
- 5.6 EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE PRODUCT SECTORS 34
- 6. EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE COMPANIES 36
- 6.1 MARKET STRUCTURE 36
- 6.2 HIRE COMPANIES 38
- 6.2.1 Staging, Structures, Seating and Marquees Hire Companies 38
- 6.2.2 Portable Buildings and Sanitation Hire Companies 40
- 6.2.3 Power Generation & Climate Control Hire Companies 41
- 6.2.4 Audio-Visual and Specialist Lighting Hire Companies 43
- 6.2.5 Traffic & Crowd Control, Signage, Security, Portable Access Solutions 44
- 6.2.6 Interiors Hire Companies 47
- 6.2.7 General Equipment Hire Companies 48
- 7. PRODUCTS 50
- 7.1 STAGING, STRUCTURES, SEATING AND MARQUEES 51
- 7.2 PORTABLE BUILDINGS AND SANITATION 52
- 7.3 POWER GENERATION & CLIMATE CONTROL 55
- 7.4 AUDIO-VISUAL AND SPECIALIST LIGHTING 57
- 7.5 TRAFFIC & CROWD CONTROL, SIGNAGE, SECURITY & PORTABLE ACCESS SOLUTIONS 60
- 7.6 INTERIORS 62
- 7.7 ACCESS EQUIPMENT AND OTHER PLANT & TOOLS PRODUCTS 64
- 7.8 OTHER HIRED EQUIPMENT 66
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011-2021 (£M) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: UK EVENTS MARKET BY SECTOR (EXHIBITIONS/TRADE SHOWS, MUSIC, SPORT, FESTIVALS/CULTURE & CORPORATE HOSPITALITY) - BY VALUE 2016 19
- TABLE 7: ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN CONVENTION AND TRADE SHOW ORGANISING SERVICES REGISTERED FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND - (%) 2016 22
- CHART 8: ENTERPRISES INVOLVED IN CONVENTION AND TRADE SHOW ORGANISING SERVICES REGISTERED FOR VAT BY EMPLOYMENT SIZE - (%) 2016 22
- CHART 9: EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 27
- TABLE 10: UK EVENT HIRE MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2011-2016 28
- TABLE 11: UK EVENT HIRE MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2016-2021 31
- CHART 12: UK EVENT EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET BY SECTOR (EXHIBITIONS/TRADE SHOWS, MUSIC, SPORT, FESTIVALS/CULTURAL, CORPORATE) - BY VALUE 2016 33
- TABLE 13: UK EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET SIZE BY PRODUCT TYPE (STAGING/STRUCTURES, PORTABLE BLDGS/SANITATION, POWER GEN, AV/LIGHTING, INTERIORS, TRAFFIC/SECURITY, ACCESS/TOOLS) - BY VALUE 2016(£M) 34
- TABLE 14: ESTIMATED SHARES BY TYPE OF HIRE COMPANY BY HIRE PRODUCT SECTORS (SPECIALISTS, PLANT & TOOL HIRE GENERALISTS) - 2016 37
- CHART 15: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRE IN EVENTS SECTOR (STAGING/STRUCTURES, PORT. BLDGS/SANIT, POWER GEN/CLIM. CONTROL, AV/LIGHTING, INTERIORS, ACCESS, TRAFFIC/SECURITY ETC) - BY VALUE - 2016 50
- CHART 16: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE STAGING, STRUCTURES/MARQUEES, & SEATING SECTOR - SHARE BY VALUE 2016 51
- CHART 17: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE PORTABLE BUILDINGS AND SANITATION SECTOR (WELFARE/SANITATION, MKTG/ADMIN, TICKETS/STORAGE, PORTABLE KITCHENS) SECTOR SHARE BY VALUE 2016 53
- CHART 18: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE POWER GENERATION & CLIMATE CONTROL SECTOR (GENERATORS/PUMPS, CLIMATE CONTROL, LIGHTING/COMPRESSORS ETC) SECTOR SHARE BY VALUE 2016 55
- CHART 19: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE AUDIO-VISUAL & SPECIALIST LIGHTING SECTOR - SECTOR SHARE BY VALUE 2016 58
- CHART 20: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE TRAFFIC & CROWD CONTROL, SIGNAGE, SECURITY AND PORTABLE ACCESS SECTORS - SECTOR SHARE BY VALUE 2016 60
- CHART 21: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE INTERIORS SECTOR (TABLES & CHAIRS, FLOORING & MATTING, OTHERS) - SECTOR SHARE BY VALUE 2016 63
- CHART 22: MIX OF EQUIPMENT HIRED IN THE ACCESS, MATERIAL HANDLING, LANDSCAPING AND OTHER PLANT & TOOL SECTOR - SECTOR SHARE BY VALUE 2016 65
The 'Event Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.