Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 20/02/2017 / Number of Pages: 81 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' reviews this market, which has changed and evolved in recent years with a greater share taken by the single ply sector and the report assesses these developments and considers the market prospects over the next few years. At 80 pages and with 30 charts & tables, this unique report provides an informed and up-to-date analysis of this market and includes a review of the recent market performance, influencing factors and forecasts over the next few years.
Key content covered:
- Market overview and forecasts by area installed to 2021 - analysis of the market including recent developments plus forecasts and market drivers.
- Analysis of key product groups - sector sizes, product mixes & trends and supply chains for waterproofing membranes & felts and insulation.
- Review of end use markets - area installed by sector e.g. dwellings, commercial and industrial and by application i.e. newbuild, refurbishment & RMI.
- Review of the flat roofing supply chain - sector structure, manufacturers & suppliers, merchants and contractors. Identification of leading companies in each key sector with market share estimates.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of recent market performance 2015 and 2016, by volume and market size by value.
- Forecast of market size and trends - 2017 to 2021.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Key product sector analysis - focus on waterproofing membranes, also review of insulation and vapour control layers. Market sector sizes, product mixes and profiles, influences and trends, distribution.
- Review of manufacturers and suppliers of waterproofing systems and insulation - company profiles, turnovers, market shares, etc.
- Review of distribution structure and key distributors e.g. roofing merchants, builders merchants, specialist distributors.
- Overview of flat roof contracting - sector structure and review of leading contractors.
- Detailed market data and insight on the flat roofing market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Acclaim Contracts, Alltype Roofing Supplies, Alumasc Roofing Systems, Avonside Roofing, Ayton Products, Axter, Bailey UK, Barclay Roofing, Bauder, Bracknell Roofing, Breyer Roofing, Briggs Amasco, Burton Roofing Merchants, Carlisle Construction Materials (CCM), CCF, Cellecta, Celotex, Central Roofing & Building Services, Chesterfelt, Ecotherm Insulation UK, EDS Roofing Supplies (Midlands), EJ Roberts Roofing, Encon, Everlast Waterproofing, Fatra, Fenland Flat Roofing, FK Group, Flachdach Technologie (FDT) GmbH & Co, Graham Roofing (Scotland), Hambleside Danelaw, Icopal, IKO, Interloc Building Solutions, International Construction Bureau, Jablite, Jennings Roofing, JJ Roofing Supplies, Kemper System, Kingspan Insulation, Knauf Insulation, Lakesmere, Langley Waterproofing Systems, M.A.C (Roofing & Contracting), Met-clad Contracts, Mitie Tilley Roofing, Paul Happe Contracts, Pittsburgh Corning (UK), Polyroof, Prater, Protan, Raven Roofing Supplies, Recticel Insulation, Renolit Waterproofing, Richardson Roofing, Rinus Roofing Supplies, Rio Group, Rockwool, Roofdec, Roofline Group, Rose Roofing, RS Miller Roofing, SIG Roofing Supplies, Sika, Skyline Roofing Centres, Soprema, Springvale EPS, Survey Roofing, Swift Roofing Contracts, The Garland Company, Tor Coatings, Tremco, Triflex (UK), Weatherproofing Advisors, Wensley Roofing, Western Counties Roofing, Xtratherm.
UK Flat Roofing Market Overview
- Flat roofing market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by area installed from 2012 to 2016.
- Key product groups reviewed - focus on waterproofing systems and insulation and coverage of vapour control layers and green roof systems.
- Market trends and key drivers - e.g. commercial & industrial newbuild and refurbishment, growth in housing extensions, trends in flats construction, increasing skills shortages, growth in 'green' roofing.
- Market forecasts - estimates for 2016 & prospects up to 2021 by volume/area, key factors influencing future prospects, areas of growth and decline.
Flat Roofing Products
- Waterproofing membranes - general market overview; market trends value 2012 -2016, forecasts to 2021 (where possible); product mix.
- Review of key product sectors - bitumen membranes, single ply membranes, liquid waterproofing (including GRP) and others (mastic asphalt). Market trends by volume and value 2012 -2016, forecasts to 2021, UK production & imports of bitumen membranes by value & volume, bitumen membranes product mix, single ply product mix, estimated manufacturers/suppliers market shares for each product group.
- Thermal insulation - by type by area installed; review of products within each sector including; annual trends in area installed and underpinning market factors: PIR boards, stone wool, XPS etc. Review of supply chains and key suppliers for each product sector.
- Other flat roofing elements - overview of use of other components e.g. vapour control layers.
Review of Flat Roofing Suppliers and End Use Applications
- Identification of key manufacturers of flat roofs waterproofing systems and insulation - market shares, turnovers, company profiles.
- Company profiles for 30+ manufacturers and suppliers of waterproofing systems and key insulation manufacturers.
- Overview of mix by application e.g. housing, commercial and industry by area installed.
- Review of end use sectors e.g. mix & trends in newbuild, refurbishment & RMI.
Overview of Flat Roofing Products Distribution and Contractors
- Overview of distribution mix for flat roofing products - review of the key suppliers e.g. roofing merchants and builders' merchants, specialist distributors, DIY stores. Estimates of shares.
- Overview of sector structure and review of the top 30+ flat roofing contractors in the sector.
The market for flat roofing has shown steady underlying growth since 2012. In 2015 there was a slight fall in overall market trends, partly due to a drop in the supply of bituminous membranes, with European bitumen refining capacity declining sharply in recent years. Since then there has been some improvement in demand although RBMs continue to lose share to single ply membranes in the commercial / specification market and EPDM membranes, and GRP in the domestic extensions and garage roofing sectors. The key sectors analysed are waterproofing products, insulation products and vapour control layers.
Key demand drivers include increased levels of new build and re-roofing activity in key end-use markets notably; commercial offices, schools, retail distribution centres, infrastructure & utilities buildings, social housing re-roofing and private housing extensions & garages. Maintenance and repair work to private housing roofs is also an important area of activity while demand for green roofs has also begun to show steady growth. Growth in demand for single ply has largely been due to a surge in industrial and infrastructure buildings with large-spanning roofs developed in recent years, in particularly retail (and specifically online retail) distribution centres.
Other factors behind growth include inherent properties of single ply relative to RBMs -including the wider range of colours, speed of installation and lower costs of insurance for roofing contractors. Using heat to install for RBMs has fire risk and contractors therefore are required to have insurance in case of fire damage. In the private housing sector, escalating housing costs have driven up demand for garage conversions and extensions, which in turn has underpinned demand for both EPDM membranes and GRP and other liquid roofing systems.
Over the medium term to 2021, it forecast that demand for flat roofing will continue to grow at a steady pace, key drivers being the continuing growth in demand for online retail distribution centres; pressures on housing supply driving up the need for increasing flats construction; increasing office construction output and a likely growth in demand for green roofs.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. OBJECTIVES & METHODOLOGY 7
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 9
- 2.1 MARKET BACKGROUND 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK MARKET OVERVIEW FOR FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE AND RECENT DEVELOPMENTS 20
- 4.2.1 Market Background 20
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 22
- 4.3 KEY MARKET DRIVERS 23
- 4.3.1 General Construction Activity 23
- 4.3.2 Flats Construction 29
- 4.3.3 Housing RMI 31
- 4.3.4 'Green' Roofs 32
- 4.3.5 Skills Shortages 33
- 5. FLAT ROOFING PRODUCTS 34
- 5.1 OVERVIEW 34
- 5.2 FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES 35
- 5.2.1 UK Market Overview 35
- 5.2.2 Built Up Roofing (BUR) Systems and Single Layer Felts 38
- 5.2.3 Single Ply Membranes 46
- 5.2.4 GRP & Other Liquid Roofing Systems 54
- 5.2.5 Other Systems 56
- 5.3 INSULATION 57
- 5.3.1 Definition 57
- 5.3.2 Market Size by Area Installed and by Value 58
- 5.3.3 Product Mix 59
- 5.4 OTHER FLAT ROOF COMPONENTS 59
- 5.4.1 Vapour Control Layers 59
- 5.4.2 Decking 60
- 6. END USE APPLICATIONS 61
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 61
- 6.2 NON-HOUSING 61
- 6.3 HOUSING 62
- 7. SUPPLIERS 64
- 7.1 WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES 64
- 7.1.1 UK Based Manufacturers 64
- 7.1.2 UK Sales / Distribution Subsidiaries 66
- 7.1.3 Third Party Suppliers 67
- 7.1.4 European Companies Supplying Direct 68
- 7.2 INSULATION 69
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 72
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION OVERVIEW 72
- 8.2 KEY DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 73
- 8.2.1 Roofing Merchants 73
- 8.2.2 Other Specialist Distributors 75
- 8.2.3 Builders Merchants 75
- 8.2.4 Direct Supply 76
- 9. FLAT ROOFING CONTRACTING 77
- 9.1 STRUCTURE 77
- 9.2 LEADING ROOFING CONTRACTORS 78
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS BY AREA OF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES INSTALLED 2012 -2021 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS BY AREA OF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES INSTALLED (MILLION M2) 2012-21 20
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOFING PRODUCTS BY VALUE (MEMBRANES, INSULATION, VCLS) TOTAL £485M MSP 2016 22
- CHART 8: CONSTRUCTION SECTOR - NEW WORK AND RMI OUTPUT AND NEW ORDERS 2006 TO 2015 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 24
- CHART 9: VALUE OF NON-HOUSING NEW WORK OUTPUT BY SECTOR % MIX BY VALUE 2015 AND 2016 TO Q3 24
- CHART 10: HOUSING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND BY MIX OF HOUSES & FLATS 2008/09 TO 2015/16 AND FORECASTS TO 2019/2020 30
- CHART 11: RMI HOUSING OUTPUT AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 - BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 31
- TABLE 12: HOUSING RMI REGIONAL ANALYSIS (GB) BY VALUE (£M) AND % BY REGION 2013 - 2015 32
- TABLE 13: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES £M MSP 2012-2021 35
- CHART 14: UK FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES MIX BY AREA INSTALLED 2016 37
- CHART 15: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOFING MEMBRANES BY VALUE (TOTAL £273M MSP) 2016 38
- CHART 16: UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2012 -2020 40
- CHART 17: UK PRODUCTION OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£ MILLION) AND BY VOLUME (MILLION M2) 2012 -2016 41
- CHART 18: UK IMPORTS OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES VALUE (£ MILLION) AND BY VOLUME (MILLION M2) 2012 -2016 42
- CHART 19: UK INSTALLATION OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES ON FLAT ROOFS BY AREA BY METHOD OF APPLICATION 2016 43
- TABLE 20: MANUFACTURERS UK MARKET SHARES BY VOLUME OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES SUPPLIED 2016 44
- TABLE 21: ROLLED BITUMEN PRODUCTS - IMPORTS BY COUNTRY, VOLUME AND VALUE 2014, 2015 AND 2016 45
- TABLE 22: MAIN SUPPLIERS OF BITUMEN MEMBRANES & FELTS BY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN AND UK DISTRIBUTORS 46
- CHART 23: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2012 -2020 48
- CHART 24: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY VALUE £M MSP 2012 -2020 50
- CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY MATERIAL TYPE BY APPROXIMATE AREA INSTALLED 2016 51
- TABLE 26: MANUFACTURERS, KEY BRANDS AND UK DISTRIBUTORS OF SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES 52
- CHART 27: UK - MANUFACTURERS ESTIMATED SHARES OF THE UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY VALUE 2016 53
- TABLE 28: MANUFACTURERS, KEY BRANDS AND UK DISTRIBUTORS OF LIQUID WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS 56
- CHART 29: UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR INSULATION BY PRODUCT TYPE (PIR, STONEWOOL, XPS ETC) BY AVERAGE ANNUAL AREA INSTALLED 2016 59
- CHART 30: UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET - TYPICAL % END USE MIX BY END USE MARKETS (COMMERCIAL, HOUSING, INDUSTRY) BY AREA INSTALLED 2016 61
- TABLE 31: UK ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES FOR FLAT ROOF INSULATION BY VALUE 69
- CHART 32: OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION OF FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS 72
- CHART 33: TYPICAL OVERALL DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR FLAT ROOFING PRODUCTS BY VALUE 73
- TABLE 34: MIX OF ROOFING CONTRACTORS BY NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES 77
The 'Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.