Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 05/06/2019 / Number of Pages: 74 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2019-2023' has been published. In recent years the market has changed with a greater share taken by single ply and liquid roofing systems. The report assesses these developments and considers market prospects over the next few years.
Key content covered:
- Market overview and forecasts by area installed to 2023 - analysis of the market including recent
- developments plus forecasts and market drivers.
- Analysis of key product groups - sector sizes,
- product mixes & trends and supply chains for
- bitumen, single ply, liquid and mastic asphalt waterproofing membrane systems
- Review of end use markets - area installed by sector e.g. dwellings, commercial and industrial and by application i.e. newbuild, refurbishment & RMI.
- Review of the flat roofing supply chain - sector structure; manufacturers & suppliers, merchants and contractors. Identification of leading companies in each key sector with market share estimates.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of recent market performance 2017 and 2018, by volume and market size by value.
- Forecast of market size and trends - 2019 to 2023.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Key product sector analysis - focus on waterproofing membranes; reinforced bitumen membranes, single ply membranes, liquid roofing and mastic asphalt systems. Market sector sizes, product mixes and profiles, influences and trends, distribution.
- Review of manufacturers and suppliers of waterproofing systems- company profiles, turnovers, market shares, etc.
- Review of distribution structure and key distributors e.g. roofing merchants, builders merchants, specialist distributors
- Overview of flat roof contracting - sector structure and review of leading contractors.
- Detailed market data and insight on the flat roofing market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Altena Group, Alumasc Roofing Systems, Axter, Ayton Products, Bailey Total Building Envelope, Bauder Ltd, Bitufa UK, BMI Icopal Ltd, Carlisle Construction Materials, Casali S.p.A, Chesterfelt, Danosa UK, Fatra UK, Flex-R, G & B (North West) Ltd, Geco S.r., Gedaco S.p.A, General Membrane S.p.A, Grupo ASSA, Guaranteed Asphalt, Hambleside Danelaw, ICB Waterproofing, IKO UK Ltd, Imperbit Membrane Industries, Index S.p.A, Interloc Building Solutions, Kemper System, Langley Waterproofing Systems, Meir Roofing and Insulation Supplies, Moy Materials, Polyglass (GB), Polyroof Products, Protan UK, Radmat Building Products, Renolit Cramlington, Renolit Waterproofing Roofing, Rose Roofing, Scott Bader Company Ltd, SIG Design & Technology, Sika Ltd, Soprema UK, Texsa, The Garland Company UK, Tor Coatings, Tremco Roofing UK, Triflex (UK), and more
UK Flat Roofing Market Overview
- Flat roofing market - key characteristics of the market, analysis by area installed from 2014 to 2018. Forecasts 2019 to 2023.
- Market trends and key drivers- e.g. commercial & industrial newbuild and refurbishment, growth in output for housing extensions, increasing construction output for flats, impact of skills shortages, growth in demand for 'green' roofs.
- Market forecasts - estimates for 2016 & prospects up to 2021 by volume/area, key factors influencing market prospects, areas of growth and decline.
- Market mixes - by type of waterproofing system by area installed. By end user i.e. housebuilding, housing RMI, non-domestic newbuild etc
Flat Roofing Products
- Reinforced bitumen membrane systems - market trends by volume and value 2014 -2018, forecasts 2019 to 2023; UK production & imports of bitumen membranes by value & volume; reinforced bitumen membranes product mix; estimated manufacturers /suppliers market shares & summary reviews.
- Single ply membranes systems - market trends by volume and value 2014 -2018, forecasts 2019 to 2022; product mix; end use mix; estimated manufacturers /suppliers market shares & summary reviews.
- Liquid waterproofing systems - market trends by volume and value 2014 -2018, forecasts 2019 to 2022; estimated manufacturers /suppliers market shares & summary reviews.
- Mastic asphalt - market trends by volume and value 2014 -2018, forecasts 2019 to 2022; estimated manufacturers /suppliers market shares & summaries for each product sector.
Review of Flat Roofing Products Review
- Identification of key manufacturers of flat roofs waterproofing systems and insulation - market shares, turnovers, company profiles
- Company profiles for 30+ manufacturers and suppliers of waterproofing systems and key insulation manufacturers.
Overview of Flat Roofing Products Distribution and Contractors
- Overview of distribution mix for flat roofing products - review of the key suppliers e.g. roofing merchants and builders' merchants, specialist distributors, DIY stores. Estimates of shares.
- Overview of sector structure and review of the top 30+ flat roofing contractors in the sector.
Since 2014, the annual installed area of flat roof waterproofing systems has declined slightly. This has primarily been due to a decrease in the UK supply and imports of rolled bitumen products. However, our estimates also include applications other that flat roofs on which either single ply and /or liquid waterproofing systems are used; new curved and wave-form roofs, profile steel roof refurbishment, balconies & walkways, car park decking and structural elements.
The recent decrease in imports of rolled bitumen products began in 2014 but the rate of decline accelerated from 2016. This was in part due to the impact of reduced bitumen processing capacity with the closure of around a quarter of EU refineries. The other factor has been increasing competition from other waterproofing systems.
The main type of bitumen waterproofing systems used are 2 or 3 layered reinforced bitumen membranes (RBMs), which for many years have been the dominant products used on flat roofs. However, RBMs have been losing share to single ply membranes (SPMs) in the specification market, and to EPDM membranes and GRP in the private housing RMI sector (extensions and garage re-roofing/repairs).
Overall market values are estimated to have grown. The stronger rate of growth, compared to area installed, has largely been due to an increase in the installation of added value SPM systems on a number of large-span installations such as distribution centres, out-of-town office park developments and leisure facilities. PVC, TPO/TPE and PIB SPMs are typically more costly than RBMs and liquid roofing systems.
Over the last half dozen years, key market drivers for waterproofing systems have been strong activity levels in core markets; commercial offices newbuild, schools RMI, new retail distribution centres, infrastructure & utilities buildings membranes RMI, social housing and private housing RMI. The housing RMI sector has been buoyant with growth in single storey extensions driving up demand for GRP and EPDM.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. OBJECTIVES & METHODOLOGY 7
- 1.1 Introduction 7
- 1.2 Sources of Information 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 Overview and Outlook 10
- 3.2 Key Data 10
- 3.2.1 GDP 10
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 11
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 12
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 13
- 3.2.5 Sterling 14
- 4. MARKET OVERVIEW FOR FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS 15
- 4.1 Introduction and Definition 15
- 4.2 Market Size and Trends 15
- 4.2.1 2014 to 2023 15
- 4.3 Key Market Drivers 17
- 4.3.1 Commercial Newbuild & Refurbishment 17
- 4.3.2 Housing RMI 22
- 4.3.3 Flats Construction 23
- 4.3.4 'Green' Roofs 25
- 4.3.5 Skills Shortages 26
- 4.3.6 Sustainability 26
- 4.4 Market Mixes 27
- 4.4.1 By Area Installed 27
- 4.4.2 By Value 28
- 4.4.3 End User Mix 28
- 5. REINFORCED BITUMEN MEMBRANES AND FELTS 30
- 5.1 Definition 30
- 5.2 Market Size and Recent Trends 31
- 5.2.1 Overview 31
- 5.2.2 UK Production 32
- 5.2.3 Imports 33
- 5.3 Methods of Application 34
- 5.4 Supply 35
- 6 SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES 39
- 6.1 Definition 39
- 6.2 Market Size and Recent Trends 40
- 6.3 Product Mix 42
- 6.4 Supply 42
- 7. LIQUID ROOFING SYSTEMS AND MASTIC ASPHALT 45
- 7.1 Liquid Waterproofing Systems 45
- 7.1.1 Definition 45
- 7.1.2 Market Size and Recent Trends 45
- 7.1.3 Supply 47
- 7.2 Mastic Asphalt 48
- 8. SUPPLIERS 49
- 8.1 Overview 49
- 8.2 Supplier profiles 49
- 8.3 European Companies Supplying Direct 54
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 55
- 9.1 Distribution Overview 55
- 9.2 Key Distribution Channels 56
- 9.2.1 Roofing Merchants 56
- 9.2.2 Builders Merchants 57
- 9.2.3 Direct Supply 58
- 10. FLAT ROOFING CONTRACTING 59
- 10.1 Structure 59
- 10.2 Leading Roofing Contractors 60
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS BY AREA OF INSTALLED (MILLION M2) AND BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014 -2022 8
- CHART 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2020 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: CPI INFLATION AND BANK OF ENGLAND BASE RATE 2008-2023 12
- CHART 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2020 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 13
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 13
- CHART 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 14
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS BY AREA OF WATERPROOFING MEMBRANES INSTALLED (MILLION M2) 2014-2023 16
- CHART 8: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS £M MSP 2014-2023 17
- CHART 9: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2014-2023 18
- CHART 10: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR % BY VALUE GB 2018 AND 2022 FORECAST 19
- CHART 11: UK OFFICE STOCK BY REGIONAL BY GIFA 20
- CHART 12: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - SHARE OF REVENUE BY SECTOR - FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC 2018 22
- TABLE 13: MIX OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF PROJECT (VOLUME - EXTENSIONS, ROOFING, H&V, ETC) 2018 23
- CHART 14: ENGLAND NEWBUILD FLATS 2011/12 TO 2017/18 24
- CHART 15: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS BY TYPE BY AREA INSTALLED 2018 27
- CHART 16: UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOF WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS BY TYPE BY VALUE (MSP) 2018 28
- CHART 17: UK FLAT ROOFING MARKET MIX BY END USE BY AREA INSTALLED 2018 29
- CHART 18: UK FLAT ROOF MARKET FOR RBMS AND FELTS BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND BY AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2014 -2022 32
- CHART 19: UK PRODUCTION OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£M MSP) AND BY VOLUME (MILLION M2) 2014 -2018 33
- CHART 20: UK IMPORTS OF BITUMINOUS MEMBRANES VALUE (£ MILLION) AND BY VOLUME (MILLION M2) 2014 -2018 34
- CHART 21: RBMS ON FLAT ROOFS BY METHOD OF APPLICATION BY AREA INSTALLED 2018 35
- TABLE 22: UK MARKET SHARES OF RBM SUPPLIERS BY VALUE 2018 36
- TABLE 23: ROLLED BITUMEN PRODUCTS - IMPORTS BY COUNTRY, VOLUME AND VALUE 2016, 2017 AND 2018 37
- TABLE 24: MAIN SUPPLIERS OF BITUMEN MEMBRANES & FELTS BY COUNTRY OF ORIGIN AND UK DISTRIBUTORS 38
- CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY VALUE (£MILLION MSP) & AREA INSTALLED (MILLION M²) 2014 - 2022 40
- CHART 26: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY MATERIAL TYPE BY APPROXIMATE AREA INSTALLED 2018 41
- CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY MATERIAL TYPE BY APPROXIMATE AREA INSTALLED 2018 42
- CHART 28: MANUFACTURERS ESTIMATED SHARES OF THE UK MARKET FOR SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES BY VALUE 2018 43
- TABLE 29: SUPPLIERS OF SINGLE PLY MEMBRANES IN THE UK 44
- CHART 30: UK MARKET FOR LIQUID WATERPROOFING BY ESTIMATED VALUES (£M MSP) AND BY AREA INSTALLED 2014 -2023 46
- TABLE 31: MANUFACTURERS, KEY BRANDS AND UK DISTRIBUTORS OF LIQUID WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS 47
- TABLE 32: UK APPLICATIONS FOR MASTIC ASPHALT BY VOLUME 2018 48
- CHART 33: UK WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS FOR FLAT ROOFS, BALCONIES, WALKWAYS ETC - MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2018 49
- CHART 34: OVERVIEW OF DISTRIBUTION OF FLAT ROOFING SYSTEMS 2018 55
- CHART 35: TYPICAL OVERALL DISTRIBUTION MIX FOR FLAT ROOFING WATERPROOFING SYSTEMS BY VALUE 56
- TABLE 36: MIX OF ROOFING CONTRACTORS BY NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES 59
The 'Flat Roofing Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.