Floor and Wall Tiles Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 30/06/2015 / Number of Pages: 89 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 8th edition of the report 'Floor and Wall Tiles Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed report on the market for ceramic and porcelain, natural stone and tiles of other materials (glass, metal, cement etc.).
Key areas covered:
- UK tiles market - size, recent trends and key influences, forecasts and future trends up to 2019.
- Analysis by market sector - ceramic & porcelain, natural stone and other materials. Sector size, product mix within each, key trends and influences.
- Market structure - review of market structure, breakdown of product sectors with major players, company profiles, anticipated future developments.
- End use application areas - analysis of key end use sectors for tiles, with potential growth opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market development in 2013-14 - driven by upturn in new housebuilding and returning confidence in key non-residential construction sector - hotels, leisure, transport etc.
- Key product mix trends - ceramic & porcelain, natural stone - growth of other materials in recent years underpinned by rising demand for glass tiles.
- Decorative trends focused on plain tiles but with growing interest in decorative tiles and non-rectangular shapes.
- Changes in supply and distribution structures - shares, growth of Internet etc.
- Short-term prospects for 2015-16 and a review of key market drivers into the medium term up to 2019.
Some of the companies included:
Al-Murad, Ann Sacks, Armatile, Bellegrove Ceramics, Beltrami, Boniti, Boyden & Co, British Ceramic Tile (BCT), Burlington Slate, Capitol Tile Group, Ceramiks Ltd, Ceramique Internationale, Cerrig Granite and Slate, Classical Flagstones, CP Group of Companies, Craven Dunnill, Decoramic Tile Centre, Digital Ceramic Systems, Domus Tiles, Fired Earth, Grespania Ceramica, H & E Smith, H&R Johnson, Indigenous, Ionic Stone, Lapicida, Limestone Gallery, Mandarin Slate, Marlborough Tiles, Marmobello, Minoli, Mosaic Restoration Company, Nicholls & Clarke, Original Style, Pilkington's Manufacturing, Pisani, Porcelanosa Group, RAK Ceramics, RJ Stokes, Saint-Gobain Building Distribution, Solus Ceramics, stoneCircle, Stonell, Stoneville (UK), Studio Ceramics, The Ceramic Tile Warehouse, The Stone and Ceramic Warehouse, The Tile Shed, Tile Choice, Tile Depot, Tile Giant, Tileflair, Tiles UK, Topps Tiles, Villeroy and Boch, Walls and Floors (Kettering), Waxman Ceramics, Welsh Slate.
Floor and Wall Tiles Market
- UK tiles market, market definition, overview of market size by value, recent and current situation 2009-2014 with indications of situation in H1 2015, recent market performance, factors underpinning demand and value growth.
- International trade 2008-2014 - indicating growth in imports and more subdued exports, countries of origin and key export destinations.
- Key market influences, including levels of construction, housing market, key commercial sector markets, economic trends, specification/buying issues, short-term prospects etc.
- Future prospects - market size and forecast trends up to 2019.
- Analysis of market for ceramic & porcelain tiles - including market value 2009-2019, potential growth prospects and forecasts up to 2019, key influences, product mix by type.
- Market mix by application - floor and wall tiles - mix and sector trends 2009-2019, factors influencing growth prospects to 2019.
- Analysis by end-use sector - contract and domestic - market shares, trends etc.
- Key factors driving growth and change - interior design trends, growth of wet rooms, expansion of floor tiles into additional areas, increasing share for porcelain floor tiles etc.
- Market for natural stone tiles - definitions, assessment of market value 2009-2019 and growth potential to 2019, leading stone types, mix by product type (limestone, slate, marble, travertine etc), application and domestic/contract sector mix, share mix by floor and wall tiles, key factors influencing growth to 2019 etc.
- Market for glass, metal, cement and other tiles - assessment of market value 2009-2019 , recent strong growth, potential to 2019, key influencing factors etc.
- Style and design trends - growth in textures as well as digital printing techniques that allow for feature walls for tiles, focus on stone also assisting with growth for ceramic & porcelain 'imitations'.
Supply and Distribution
- Changes in market structure - UK supply base, growth of imports, continued importance of tile distributors etc.
- Major tile manufacturers and suppliers - including turnover size and market share where appropriate - recent changes, market positioning etc.
- Major distribution channels, and share by type of outlet - Tile and Stone Multiples, Independents, Mail Order/Catalogue/Internet, Specialists, Dept. Stores/Variety Stores/DIY etc - growth of online.
- Key companies, by type of outlet - major players.
- Key growth areas - prospects for 2015 and up to 2019.
- Important developments in the major product and market sectors.
- Review of key construction trends & economic factors impacting the market.
The UK market for floor and wall tiles grew by an estimated 4% in 2014, underpinned by rising demand from a combination of growth in housebuilding activity, home improvements and commercial applications. The market had been in decline as a result of a fall in demand during the recessionary period from 2009 onwards, and reached a low point in 2010 which was followed by a period of only marginal growth in 2011-2013. Ceramic & porcelain tiles dominate the mix in 2014 with estimated value share of over 75%. There has only been slight change to the mix since 2012 with the others sector gaining marginal share at the expense of ceramic & porcelain.
Changes and trends evident within the UK tile market identified in the last edition of this report have continued into 2013-14. The main trend has been a gradual switch into the mid-upper market sectors, particularly in the domestic sector, which has been dominated by stone effect porcelain & ceramic as well as natural stone. In terms of decorative trends, fully or ¾ tiled bathrooms remain a key trend but with stone effects and natural stone continuing to take share from plain tiles. Although neutrals continue to dominate the sector, there has been a trend for greater use of colour through Mediterranean and North African inspired designs and through the use of feature tiles, such as pop art panels, single tile motifs etc.
The trend for design breaks within a tiling scheme has become more prevalent, with combinations of tile sizes, shapes, textures and colours now used to create borders, frames, etc., for both wall and floor tiling installations. The stone tiles sector, and slate in particular, has undoubtedly benefited from the recent trend for texture in tiles, with growing demand for more riven products, particularly for texture walls. However, developments in the ceramic & porcelain sector in terms of texture have meant that stone continues to face stiff competition and price pressure in the middle sectors of the market.
The outlook is positive with the medium-term forecast related to the strength of the economic recovery, which in Q2 2015 remains generally positive, and continued recovery in the new housebuilding sector, as well as higher output for key private commercial construction sectors such as offices and leisure. In addition, both consumer and business confidence have continued to improve, but with a certain amount of caution still evident. For the tiles market, this indicates potential for good short-term gains followed by steadier rates of annual growth into the medium-term. The overall tiles market is likely to be characterised by price competition into the medium-term and beyond, as competition between tile types and other wall and floorcoverings is forecast to continue into the medium-term and imports will remain a significant feature of the market into the longer-term due to the limited number of UK based large volume producers.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. UK MARKET FOR TILES 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 20
- 4.2.1 Market Value 21
- 4.2.2 Current Situation 22
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects 24
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX 25
- 4.4 MARKET CHARACTERISTICS 26
- 4.4.1 Product Substitution 26
- 4.4.2 Interior Decoration Trends 27
- 4.4.3 Product Development/Innovation 28
- 4.5 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 29
- 4.5.1 The Housing Market 29
- 4.5.2 Non-Residential Construction 33
- 4.5.3 Domestic Conservatory Market 35
- 4.5.4 Development of New Tiled Areas 37
- 5. CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES 38
- 5.1 DEFINITION 38
- 5.1.1 Ceramic Tiles 38
- 5.1.2 Porcelain Tiles 38
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 39
- 5.2.1 Future Prospects 41
- 5.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 42
- 5.3.1 Value of International Trade 42
- 5.3.2 Volume of International Trade 43
- 5.3.3 Imports 43
- 5.3.4 Exports 45
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 46
- 5.4.1 Mix by Type 46
- 5.4.2 Mix by Application 48
- 5.6 END USE APPLICATIONS 52
- 6. NATURAL STONE 54
- 6.1 DEFINITION 54
- 6.1.1 Types of Stone 54
- 6.1.2 Stone Finishes 55
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 55
- 6.2.1 Future Prospects 58
- 6.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 58
- 6.3.1 Import Source Countries 59
- 6.4 PRODUCT MIX 60
- 6.4.1 Mix by Application 60
- 6.4.2 Mix by Type 61
- 6.5 END USE APPLICATIONS 62
- 7. GLASS, METAL AND OTHER MATERIALS 63
- 7.1 MARKET SIZE 63
- 7.1.1 Future Prospects 64
- 7.2 MIX BY APPLICATION 65
- 7.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 66
- 8. SUPPLIERS 67
- 8.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 67
- 8.2 MARKET SHARE 68
- 8.3 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES 69
- 8.4 LEADING SUPPLIES OF NATURAL STONE TILES 72
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 75
- 9.1 DOMESTIC SECTOR DISTRIBUTION 75
- 9.1.1 Major Distributors 78
- 9.1.2 Retail Tile Multiples 83
- 9.1.3 DIY Multiples 84
- 9.1.4 Builders Merchants 85
- 9.1.5 Direct Sales and Other Distribution Routes 86
- 9.2 THE CONTRACT SECTOR 87
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 UK TILES MARKET (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE, GLASS, METAL, CEMENT, ETC) 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- CHART 6 UK TILES MARKET (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE AND OTHERS) AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 21
- CHART 7 UK TILES MARKET PRODUCT MIX (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE AND OTHERS) 2014 - % BY VALUE 25
- TABLE 8 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS - GB 2009 - 2019 ('000 DWELLINGS) 30
- TABLE 9 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS UK 2009 TO 2014 - ('000) 32
- CHART 10 GB NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI) BY SECTOR 2009 TO 2019 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 33
- CHART 11 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2013 - % BY VALUE 34
- TABLE 12 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET 2009 - 2018 BY VOLUME 36
- TABLE 13 UK MARKET FORECAST FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES 2009 - 2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 39
- TABLE 14 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CERAMIC WALL AND FLOOR TILES 2008 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£M) 42
- TABLE 15 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CERAMIC TILES 2008 - 2014 - BY VOLUME (MILLION SQUARE METRES) 43
- CHART 16 MAJOR IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR CERAMIC TILES 2014 - % BY VALUE 44
- TABLE 17 CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES IMPORTS CHANGES TO IMPORT SOURCE SHARE (SPAIN, ITALY, CHINA, TURKEY AND UAE) 2008 - 2014 - % BY VALUE 45
- CHART 18 MAJOR DESTINATIONS FOR CERAMIC TILES EXPORTS 2014 - % BY VALUE 46
- CHART 19 UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES PRODUCT MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE 47
- CHART 20 UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES - FLOOR AND WALL MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE 48
- CHART 21 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN WALL TILES 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 49
- CHART 22 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN FLOOR TILES 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 51
- CHART 23 UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES MIX BY DOMESTIC AND CONTRACT END USE SECTOR 2014 - % BY VALUE 52
- CHART 24 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR NATURAL STONE FLOOR AND WALL TILES 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 56
- TABLE 25 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN SETTS, CURBSTONES AND FLAGSTONES OF NATURAL STONE 2008 - 2014 - BY VALUE (£M) 59
- CHART 26 MAJOR IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR SETTS, CURBSTONES AND FLAGSTONES OF NATURAL STONE IN 2014 - % BY VALUE 59
- CHART 27 UK MARKET FOR STONE TILES - FLOOR & WALL APPLICATION MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE 60
- CHART 28 UK MARKET FOR STONE TILES BY TYPE (LIMESTONE, SLATE, SANDSTONE, MARBLE, TRAVERTINE, OTHERS) 2014 - % BY VALUE 61
- CHART 29 UK MARKET FOR STONE TILES MIX BY DOMESTIC AND CONTRACT END USE SECTOR 2014 - % BY VALUE 62
- CHART 30 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR OTHER MATERIALS (GLASS, METAL, CEMENT, ETC) FLOOR AND WALL TILES 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 63
- CHART 31 UK MARKET FOR OTHER MATERIALS (GLASS, METALS, CEMENT, ETC) TILES - FLOOR & WALL APPLICATION MIX 2014 - % BY VALUE 65
- TABLE 32 INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN GLASS BRICKS, SQUARES, TILES, SLABS AND OTHER DECORATIVE GLASS CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTS 2008 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£M) 66
- TABLE 33 UK CERAMIC AND STONE TILES MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS 2014 68
- CHART 34 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS IN THE DOMESTIC CERAMIC & PORCELAIN AND NATURAL STONE TILES MARKET 76
- TABLE 35 UK TILES MARKET DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2014 - % BY VALUE 77
- CHART 36 UK MARKET FOR TILES MAIN CONTRACT DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 88
The 'Floor and Wall Tiles Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.