Floor and Wall Tiles Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 13/12/2017 / Number of Pages: 78 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 9th Edition of the 'Floor and Wall Tiles Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' incorporates original input and primary research, and represents an up-to-date and informed report on the market for ceramic & porcelain, natural stone as well as tiles of other materials (glass, metal, cement, etc).
Key content covered in the report include:
- UK Tiles Market - size, recent trends and key influences, forecasts and future trends up to 2021.
- Analysis by Market Sector - Ceramic & Porcelain, Natural Stone and Other Materials - size, product mix within each sector, trends and influences.
- Market Structure - review of market structure, breakdown of product sectors with major players, company profiles, anticipated future developments.
- End Use Application Areas - analysis of key end use sectors for tiles with potential growth opportunities.
Key areas of insight include:
- Market development in 2012-17 - driven by upturn in residential and non-domestic sectors (such as offices, hotels, leisure, transport etc).
- Key product mix trends - ceramic & porcelain, natural stone and other materials including glass, metal and cement.
- Decorative trends - popularity of large format tiles, stone & wood effect tiles, layouts and shapes.
- Supply and distribution - structures and shares.
- Market prospects to 2021 - including review of key market drivers.
- Detailed market data and insight on the kitchen and bathroom tile market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Armatile, B & V Masonry, Bellegrove Ceramics, Beltrami, Boniti, British Ceramic Tile (BCT), Burlington Slate, Cerrig Granite and Slate, Chantecler Tiles, Craven Dunnill, Digital Ceramic Systems, Domus Tiles, Elspeth Gardner Ceramics, Euxton Tile Supplies, Grespania Ceramica, H & E Smith, H&R Johnson, Indigenous, Ionic Stone, Lapicida, Limestone Gallery, Mandarin Slate, Marlborough Tiles, Marmobello, Marshalls plc, Mosaic Restoration Company, Nicholls & Clarke Group, Norton Tile Company, Original Style, Phoenix Tile Studio, Pilkington's Manufacturing, Porcelanosa Group, RAK Ceramics UK, RJ Stokes, Solus Ceramics, Stonell, Stoneville (UK), The Douglas Watson Studio, Tiles of Stow, Tiles UK, Victorian Tile Company, Villeroy & Boch, Walls and Floors Ltd, Waxman Ceramics, Welbeck Tiles, Welsh Slate.
- UK tiles market, market definition, overview of market size by value, recent and current situation 2012-2016 with estimates for 2017, recent market performance, factors underpinning demand and value growth.
- International trade 2012-2016 - level of imports and exports, countries of origin and key export destinations.
- Key market influences - including levels of construction, housing market, key commercial sector markets, economic developments and trend for 'get-someone-in'.
- Future prospects - market size, key growth areas, market developments and forecast trends up to 2021.
- Analysis of market for ceramic & porcelain tiles - including market value 2012-2021, potential growth prospects and forecasts up to 2021, key influences, product mix by type.
- Market mix by application - floor and wall tiles - mix and sector trends 2012-2021, factors influencing growth prospects to 2021.
- Analysis by end-use sector - contract and domestic - market shares, trends etc.
- Key factors driving growth and change - interior design trends, production & printing developments benefit sector, demand for easy to maintain products, expansion of floor tiles into additional areas and other.
- Market for natural stone tiles - definitions, assessment of market value 2012-2021 and growth potential to 2021, leading stone types, mix by product type (limestone, slate, marble, travertine etc), domestic/contract sector mix, share mix by floor and wall tiles, and key factors influencing growth to 2021.
- Market for other material (glass, metal, cement) tiles - assessment of market value 2012-2021, sector development, potential growth to 2021 and key influencing factors.
- Style and design trends - popularity of textures and ceramic & porcelain stone and wood effect tiles.
Supply and Distribution
- Market structure - UK supply base, growth of imports, importance of tile distributors etc.
- Major tiles manufacturers and suppliers - including turnover size and market share where appropriate - including recent changes and market positioning of leading suppliers.
- Major distribution channels and share by type of outlet - tile & stone multiples, independents, mail order/catalogue/internet, specialists, department stores/variety stores/ home improvement multiples and other.
- Review of key distributors - major players in each type of outlet.
This report covers ceramic & porcelain, natural stone and other materials (glass, metals, cement, etc) floor and wall tiles, focusing mainly on decorative internal usage for both residential and contract applications. The floor and wall tiles market is influenced by factors such as levels of consumer and business confidence and spending, construction output and trends in the underlying economy.
The wall and floor tiles market has been under pressure in recent years from a number of factors. Floor tiles have faced increasing competition from alternative smooth flooring types, in particular laminate and luxury vinyl tile (LVT); and wall tiles from waterproof panels and kitchen splashbacks. Imports remain a key feature of the market and the market is therefore susceptible to exchange rate fluctuations and higher manufacturing costs in major source countries.The supply structure of the floor & wall tiles market remains fragmented, with a small number of larger manufacturers/suppliers and a wide range of smaller suppliers.
Overall, the tiles market has experienced growth since 2014, benefiting from the upturn in levels of construction in both domestic and non-domestic sectors. Product developments impact on the market both in terms of competition between different materials within the tiles sectors as well as competition from other types of floor and wall coverings. The outlook remains positive, although uncertainty regarding the impact of Brexit negotiations introduces a level of risk to the market.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT UPDATED 23/11/17 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. UK MARKET FOR TILES 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 18
- 4.2.1 Market Size 18
- 4.2.2 Future Prospects 22
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX 24
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 24
- 4.4.1 The Housing Market 25
- 4.4.2 Non-Residential Construction 27
- 4.4.3 Domestic Conservatory/Glazed Extensions Market 29
- 4.4.4 Development of New Tiled Areas 30
- 4.4.5 Other influences 31
- 5. CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES 34
- 5.1 DEFINITION 34
- 5.1.1 Ceramic Tiles 34
- 5.1.2 Porcelain Tiles 34
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE 35
- 5.2.1 Market Prospects 37
- 5.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 38
- 5.3.1 Imports 38
- 5.3.2 Exports 40
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 41
- 5.4.1 Mix by Type 41
- 5.4.2 Mix by Application 42
- 5.5 END USE APPLICATION 46
- 6. NATURAL STONE 48
- 6.1 DEFINITION 48
- 6.1.1 Types of Stone 48
- 6.1.2 Stone Finishes 48
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 49
- 6.2.1 Market Prospects 51
- 6.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 52
- 6.3.1 Import Source Countries 52
- 6.4 PRODUCT MIX 53
- 6.4.1 Mix by Application 53
- 6.4.2 Mix by Type 54
- 6.5 END USE APPLICATION 55
- 7. GLASS, METAL AND OTHER MATERIALS 56
- 7.1 MARKET SIZE 56
- 7.1.1 Future Prospects 57
- 7.2 MIX BY APPLICATION 58
- 7.3 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 59
- 8. SUPPLIERS 60
- 8.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 60
- 8.2 MARKET SHARE 60
- 8.3 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES 61
- 8.4 LEADING SUPPLIES OF NATURAL STONE TILES 64
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 67
- 9.1 DOMESTIC SECTOR DISTRIBUTION 67
- 9.1.1 Major Distributors 69
- 9.1.2 Retail Tile Multiples 73
- 9.1.3 Home Improvement Multiples 74
- 9.1.4 Builders Merchants 75
- 9.1.5 Direct Sales and Other Distribution Routes 75
- 9.2 THE CONTRACT SECTOR 76
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK TILES MARKET (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE, GLASS, METAL, CEMENT, ETC) 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2013-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: UK TILES MARKET (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE AND OTHERS) AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 19
- CHART 7: UK TILES MARKET PRODUCT MIX (CERAMIC & PORCELAIN, NATURAL STONE AND OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 24
- TABLE 8: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (GB) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000S DWELLINGS) 25
- TABLE 9: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS* VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 2012-2021 BY VOLUME (000'S) 26
- TABLE 10: NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN 2012-2017 27
- TABLE 11: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2012 TO 2016, WITH ESTIMATES FOR 2017 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 28
- CHART 12: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2016 - % BY VALUE 28
- TABLE 13: UK NUMBER OF NON-RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 2012 TO 2017 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 29
- TABLE 14: DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY & GLAZED EXTENSIONS MARKET 2012 -2018 NEW & REPLACEMENT BY VOLUME 30
- TABLE 15: UK MARKET FORECAST FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES 2012 - 2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 35
- TABLE 16: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN CERAMIC TILES 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 38
- CHART 17: MAJOR IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR CERAMIC TILES 2016 - % BY VALUE 39
- TABLE 18: CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES IMPORTS CHANGES TO IMPORT SOURCE SHARE (SPAIN, ITALY, CHINA, TURKEY AND UAE) 2008-2016 - % BY VALUE 40
- CHART 19: MAJOR DESTINATIONS FOR CERAMIC TILES EXPORTS 2016 - % BY VALUE 41
- CHART 20: UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES PRODUCT MIX 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 42
- CHART 21: UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES END USE APPLICATION MIX 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 43
- CHART 22: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN WALL TILES 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 43
- CHART 23: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN FLOOR TILES 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 45
- CHART 24: UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES END USE APPLICATION MIX (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 47
- CHART 25: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR NATURAL STONE FLOOR AND WALL TILES 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 49
- TABLE 26: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN SETTS, CURBSTONES AND FLAGSTONES OF NATURAL STONE 2011-2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 52
- CHART 27: MAJOR IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR SETTS, CURBSTONES AND FLAGSTONES OF NATURAL STONE IN 2016 - % BY VALUE 53
- CHART 28: UK MARKET FOR STONE TILES - FLOOR & WALL APPLICATION MIX 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 53
- CHART 29: UK MARKET FOR STONE TILES BY TYPE (LIMESTONE, SLATE, SANDSTONE, MARBLE, TRAVERTINE, OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 54
- CHART 30: UK MARKET FOR STONE TILES END USE APPLICATION MIX (DOMESTIC VERSUS CONTRACT) 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 55
- CHART 31: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR OTHER MATERIALS (GLASS, METAL, CEMENT, ETC) FLOOR AND WALL TILES 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 56
- CHART 32: UK MARKET FOR OTHER TILS(GLASS, METALS, CEMENT, ETC) MIX BY APPLICATIONS 2016-17 - % BY VALUE 58
- TABLE 33: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN GLASS BRICKS, SQUARES, TILES, SLABS AND OTHER DECORATIVE GLASS CONSTRUCTION PRODUCTS 2011 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 59
- TABLE 34: UK CERAMIC AND STONE TILES MARKET SHARES OF LEADING SUPPLIERS 2016 61
- CHART 35: DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS IN THE DOMESTIC CERAMIC & PORCELAIN AND NATURAL STONE TILES MARKET 68
- TABLE 36: UK TILES MARKET DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2016 - % BY VALUE 69
- CHART 37: MAIN CONTRACT DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR UK TILES MARKET 77
The 'Floor and Wall Tiles Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .