Domestic Garden Buildings and Structures Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 09/04/2018 / Number of Pages: 71 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 6th edition of the 'Domestic Garden Buildings and Structures Market Report - UK 2018-2022' represents an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the garden buildings and structures market, and focuses on market size and forecasts, key influences and supply & distribution.
Products included in the report:
- Garden buildings for all year use - including modular rooms, timber framed and other insulated garden buildings e.g. tree-houses, shepherds huts, etc.
- Log cabins and summerhouses.
- Garden sheds & garden storage.
- Garden structures and other products.
Key areas of particular interest include:
- Review of market performance 2013-2017.
- Review of major product groups - market sizes, influences, trends.
- Identification of key market influences - consumer interest, homeworking, product design, housebuilding, housemoving, weather, gardening activities, trend towards secondary residential garden building use as well as garden buildings for leisure activities etc.
- Review of key suppliers and distributors - shares, trends, market developments.
- Market prospects up to 2022 - future growth expectations, key opportunities and threats to the market.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic garden buildings and structures market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Blue Forest UK, Crane Garden Buildings, Dagless, Dunster House, Eden Greenhouses, Elite Greenhouses, Eurovudas, Forest Garden, Garden Lodges, Green Retreats, Harrod UK, Hartley Botanic, Henley Garden Buildings, Homelodge Buildings, Homestead Timber Buildings, Inside Out Buildings, Juliana Group, Kybotech, Lowfield, Keder Greenhouses, Lugarde, Luoman Oy, Mercia Garden Buildings, Palmako, Pinelog, Rooms Outdoor, Rowlinson Garden Products, Smart Offices, Swallow (GB), TG Escapes, The Greenhouse People, The Malvern Collection, Timeless Garden Rooms, Vitavia Garden Products, Wentworth Garden Rooms, YardMaster and more.
- Domestic garden buildings and structure market - market definition in terms of products included.
- Market size (buildings only) - analysis by value from 2013-2017 and key characteristics of the market.
- Key influences on the market - consumer interest, gardening activities, product design, housebuilding, housemoving, homeworking, weather, trend towards secondary residential garden building use as well as garden buildings for leisure activities etc.
- Market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2022.
- Market size of the garden buildings used for working, accommodation and leisure use by volume 2013-2017, with forecasts of 2018-2022.
- Review of key product sectors - garden building for all year use (modular, timber-framed and other insulated garden buildings (e.g. tree-houses, shepherds huts); log cabins & summerhouses; garden sheds & storage; greenhouses; and garden structures etc.
- Assessment of product sector market sizes 2013-2017 and review of products including recent trends and factors affecting sector.
- Product mix shares by value.
- Sector forecasts - sector size, prospects and influencing factors on sectors to 2022.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Overview of the market - distribution structure indicating key routes to market.
- Supply structure - including review of key suppliers by product groups.
- Market share by value for the major suppliers.
- Profiles of key suppliers - turnovers, areas of specialization etc.
- Distribution overview - home improvement multiples, direct supply, online, mail order & catalogue companies, garden centres, timber & builders merchants, others - key players in major channels.
- Channels of distribution share by value.
- Forecast of market development - Review of prospects in 2018-2022. Future trends likely to affect this market.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - consumer confidence & spending, housebuilding & housemoving, homeworking, widening use of garden buildings for leisure & residential use, gardening activities, weather, upgrading & customization of buildings etc.
The market has experienced growth since 2013 benefiting from improving consumer confidence and spending as well as factors such as an improving housing market, increased levels of homeworking, trend for secondary residential garden buildings and growing popularity in 'outdoor living' & spending time in the garden.
Other factors that impact on the market include the weather, 'grow your own' activities, and product development. There has been an increase in the use of garden buildings for a wide range of leisure activities as well as a trend for upgrading specification and increased customisation of buildings.
The market is negatively impacted by smaller gardens and increasing numbers of properties without gardens. The ratio of houses to flats being built influences the market. There had been a switch back in favour of houses, but more recently this has switched again towards flats & apartments.
The different sub-sectors vary in their maturity, with the sheds and greenhouse sector representing mature sectors compared to other less mature sectors such as garden rooms. The high household penetration of sheds and greenhouse means these sectors are more dependent on upgrading and replacement products. Whereas the lower penetration of other sectors such as garden rooms allows for higher levels of growth.
Prospects for the garden buildings and structures market into the medium-term remain relatively optimistic. The range of factors influencing the market include wider macro-issues such as the UK economy, consumer confidence & spending and housebuilding & house moving levels as well as more product specific issues, such as design trends, product specifications and product developments. A key risk factor in the forecast is the effect of 'Brexit' negotiations on the levels of confidence and spending.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDING AND STRUCTURES MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET BACKGROUND 18
- 4.2.1 Overall Garden Products Market Size 18
- 4.2.2 Overall Garden Products Mix 19
- 4.3 DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDING & STRUCTURES MARKET SIZE 20
- 4.3.1 Current Situation 21
- 4.3.2 Market Prospects 23
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 25
- 4.4.1 The Housing Market 25
- 4.4.2 Housing Transactions 26
- 4.4.3 Planning permission 26
- 4.4.4 Homeworking 27
- 4.4.5 Other influences 29
- 5. PRODUCTS 31
- 5.1 PRODUCT MIX 31
- 5.2 GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR WORKING, ACCOMMODATION OR LEISURE BY VOLUME 32
- 6. UK 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' MARKET 33
- 6.1 DEFINITION 33
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 33
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX OF 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' MARKET 36
- 6.3.1 Modular Garden Rooms 37
- 6.3.2 Timber Framed Buildings 38
- 6.3.3 'Other' garden rooms 39
- 7. UK LOG CABIN AND SUMMERHOUSE MARKET 41
- 7.1 DEFINITION 41
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE 41
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 42
- 7.3.1 Log Cabins 42
- 7.3.2 Summerhouses 44
- 8. SHEDS & GARDEN STORAGE MARKET 46
- 8.1 DEFINITION 46
- 8.2 MARKET SIZE 46
- 9. UK GREENHOUSE MARKET 50
- 9.1 DEFINITION 50
- 9.2 MARKET SIZE 50
- 9.3 PRODUCT MIX 51
- 10. GARDEN STRUCTURES 54
- 10.1 MARKET SIZE & DEFINITION 54
- 10.2 PRODUCT MIX 55
- 11. SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION 57
- 11.1 OVERVIEW 57
- 11.1.1 Market Structure 57
- 11.2 SUPPLIERS 60
- 11.2.1 Market Shares 60
- 11.2.2 Key UK Suppliers 61
- 11.3 DISTRIBUTION 65
- 11.3.1 Distribution Channel Shares 65
- 11.3.2 Home Improvement Outlets 66
- 11.3.3 Online and Mail Order Retailers 67
- 11.3.4 Garden Centres 69
- 11.3.5 Timber and Builders' Merchants 70
- 11.3.6 Direct Supply and Other Retailers 71
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 19
- CHART 7: MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET (HORTICULTURAL, EQUIPMENT, LEISURE, CHEMICALS, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES ETC.) 2017 - BY VALUE 20
- TABLE 8: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 2013-2022 £M RSP 21
- CHART 9: HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2013 - 2021 - UNITED KINGDOM ('000) 25
- TABLE 10: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS* VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 2013-2021 BY VOLUME (000'S) 26
- CHART 11: UK HOMEWORKERS WORKING MAINLY FROM HOME 2001-2017 (MILLIONS) 28
- CHART 12: PRODUCT MIX OF UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES (GARDEN ROOMS, LOG CABINS, STORAGE, GREENHOUSES ETC) BY VALUE, 2017 31
- TABLE 13: UK GARDEN BUILDINGS (GARDEN ROOMS, TIMBER FRAME BUILDINGS & LOG CABINS) MARKET 2013-2022 BY VOLUME 32
- TABLE 14: UK 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' MARKET (BUILDINGS ONLY - EXCLUDING VALUE ADDED SERVICES), 2013-2022 £M RSP 34
- CHART 15: PRODUCT MIX OF UK MARKET FOR 'GARDEN BUILDINGS FOR ALL YEAR USE' (MODULAR GARDEN ROOMS, TIMBER FRAMED & OTHERS) BY VALUE - 2017 (£M RSP) 36
- TABLE 16: UK DOMESTIC LOG CABIN AND SUMMERHOUSE MARKET, 2013-2022 £M RSP 41
- CHART 17: PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC LOG CABIN AND SUMMERHOUSE MARKET 2017, % BY VALUE 42
- TABLE 18: UK SHEDS & GARDEN STORAGE MARKET, 2013-2022 £M RSP 46
- CHART 19: DOMESTIC SHEDS & GARDEN STORAGE MARKET BY TYPE OF MATERIAL (WOOD, METAL & PLASTIC), 2017 - % BY VALUE 48
- TABLE 20: UK DOMESTIC GREENHOUSE MARKET, 2013-2022 £M RSP 50
- CHART 21: PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC GREENHOUSES MARKET 2017 (GREENHOUSES AND STAGING, BENCHES AND SHELVING) - % BY VALUE 51
- CHART 22: GARDEN STRUCTURES MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 54
- CHART 23: PRODUCT MIX - GARDEN STRUCTURES (GAZEBOS, PERGOLAS, ARCHES, ARBOURS ETC) 2017 - % BY VALUE 55
- CHART 24: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 58
- TABLE 25: UK GARDEN BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES MARKET 2017 - SUPPLIER SHARE BY VALUE 60
- TABLE 26: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES IN THE GARDEN BUILDING & STRUCTURES MARKET - SHARE BY PRODUCT & CHANNEL (DIY, DIRECT SUPPLY, INTERNET/MAIL ORDER, GARDEN CENTRES ETC) - 2017 - % BY VOLUME 65
- TABLE 27: DISTRIBUTION SHARES OF GARDEN BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES MARKET 2017 - BY VALUE 66
- TABLE 28: GARDEN CENTRE MARKET SHARES 2017 BY VALUE (EST) 70
The 'Domestic Garden Buildings and Structures Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.