Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 08/05/2015 / Number of Pages: 87 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 8th edition of the report 'Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, it represents an up-to-date and informed review of the domestic market and includes a review of recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years. This market is highly dependent on the weather as well as the economic conditions. Historically, the gardening industry has coped well with economic downturns and not suffered as badly as some other sectors. However, the length and severity of the latest economic downturn did appear to negatively impact on the market, particularly in the hard landscaping sector, although economic prospects and garden product demand are now improving and the market saw strong growth during 2014.
Key areas covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market size, structure, recent developments and forecasts to 2019.
- Analysis by product group - market size, product mix and sector trends:
- Hard landscaping - Paving, walling, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking, aggregates etc.
- Garden decoration - including pots, planters, water features, decorative products and external lighting.
- Soft landscaping - including bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of market performance in 2010-2014.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics (eg: weather, consumer confidence & spending, housebuilding, product trends).
- Product group analysis - sector market sizes, product mix, influences, trends and forecasts.
- Review of key suppliers for different product categories - key players, product profiles, market positioning, turnovers etc.
- Review of distribution structure - key channels - garden centres, DIY multiples, builders merchants, Internet, and grocery multiples etc.
- Forecast of market performance to 2019.
Some of the companies included:
Arborforest Products, AVS Fencing Supplies, Blue Diamond UK, Bouchier Fencing, Bradstone, Brett Landscaping, Cemex, Decco, Dobbies Garden Centres plc, Ebertsankey, Feature DECO, Forest Garden, Grange Fencing, Haddonstone, Hanson Packed Products, Hillier Garden Centres, Home Hardware Southwest, Honeysuckle Bottom Sawmill, Hutton Garden Products, Jacksons Fencing, John Brash, J Parker Dutch Bulbs (Wholesale), Klondyke Garden Centres, Lakeland Concrete, Liniar, Marshalls plc, Metsa Wood, Minsterstone, Mr Fothergills, Notcutts Ltd, OA Taylors & Sons, Outland Stone, Plasmor, Richard Burbidge, Rowlinson Garden Products, Somerlap Forest Products, Stax Trade Centres, Squire's Garden Centres, Stewart Plastics, Suttons Consumer Products, The Butters Group, Thumbs Up (Bury), Westland Horticulture, Wilfirs, Willowstone Garden Products, Winchester Growers, Wyevale Garden Centres.
- Domestic garden landscaping materials market - market definition in terms of product categories included - share mix between hard, soft landscaping and decorative products.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2009-2014, key characteristics of the market.
- Market trends and major factors influencing the market - including consumer confidence & spending, performance of housebuilding/housemoving sector, continued interest in 'grow-your-own', attitudes towards gardens, longer term demographics.
- Market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2019.
- Product groups reviewed:
- Hard Landscaping - including paving, walling, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking and aggregates, etc..
- Garden Decoration - including pots, planters, water features, decorative products and external lighting
- Soft Landscaping - bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
- Estimated shares in 2014 of main product groups within each sector.
- Product groups - definition, market size 2009-2014 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including trends and factors affecting sector.
Supply and Distribution
- Overview of supply structure - evolving market influenced by consumer shopping behavior - complex structure with various product segments within each major sector having a variety of distribution channels.
- Key suppliers by product group - major players, product profiles, turnovers etc
- Review of distribution channels - estimated shares of channels including Garden Centres, DIY multiples, Builders Merchants, Internet/mail order, Independents, Grocery Multiples etc - growth of Internet.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - turnovers, company structure, key areas of specialization etc.
- Forecast of market developments from 2015 to 2019.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of UK economy, housebuilding, consumer confidence & spending.
- Outlook for the domestic landscaping materials market through to 2019 - growth prospects etc.
Key product sectors in the UK domestic landscaping materials market market are horticulture, which accounts for just below half of the market by value, hard landscaping and garden decoration. Annual growth rates in the market are heavily influenced by prevailing weather conditions and market performance fluctuations reflect this variability, as seen in 2012 and 2014 in particular. In addition, the performance of the UK economy impacts on the market, although the market tends to cope well with economic downturns and has not suffered as badly as some other consumer markets. Since the start of the economic downturn, sectors of the landscaping materials market have performed differently, with sectors such as paving and decking declining, whilst sectors associated with 'grow your own' (GYO) experienced overall growth.
The overall market was volatile during 2008-12 due to the impact of the economic downturn and weather conditions (notably poor in 2012), but recovered in 2013 and grew by an estimated 7% in 2014 - mainly due to favourable weather, an improving economy and increasing consumer confidence & spending. Assuming 'normal' weather patterns, the market is expected to experience growth to 2019. Key factors influencing the market include the housing market, consumer confidence & spending, and levels of interest in gardening as a hobby or to grow produce, as well as the trend for gardens being seen as an extension to the home and al fresco dining, the mature structure of most sectors and the growth of the Internet that tends to drive down average prices and increase price competition in the market.
Distribution of landscaping material is complex and fragmented, consisting of a very wide range of products distributed through a range of channels. Key channels include DIY multiples, garden centres (particularly for horticulture), builders merchants (hard landscaping) and mail order & Internet (a channel gaining share). Internet retailing is expected to continue gaining share as consumers seek greater value for money and the convenience of home shopping. Garden centres are increasingly addressing this issue and it is likely that those companies prepared to evolve their formats and develop their offering will perform better in the future. Garden centres are increasingly being seen as destination centres and have expanded their product ranges to more weather proof their businesses.
Forecasting future market performance is difficult at this time due to events unfolding in the Eurozone and the forthcoming General Election, as well as the market dependency on the weather. However, house building and house moving levels have improved in recent years and are forecast to continue. As the economy and consumer spending grows it is expected that the market will benefit from pent up demand for landscaping projects that have been deferred during the economic downturn. Also, some product sectors saw consumer downgrading in their product selection, which has reversed more recently and is expected to continue as disposable income levels increase. Trends that may benefit the market include increasing demand for artificial grass, permeable paving and other environmental friendly options (e.g. solar lighting) and container & vertical gardening. Conversely, sectors such as the declining decking market are forecast to lose share in the overall market mix.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. DOMESTIC GARDEN LANDSCAPING MARKET 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 OVERALL LANDSCAPING MARKET 20
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE 22
- 4.4 SECTOR MIX 25
- 4.5 PRODUCT MIX 25
- 4.6 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 26
- 4.6.1 Consumer characteristics 26
- 4.6.2 The Housing Market 28
- 4.6.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 29
- 4.6.4 Housing Transactions 31
- 4.6.5 Other Influences 31
- 5. HARD LANDSCAPING PRODUCTS 33
- 5.1 DEFINITION 33
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE 33
- 5.3 MIX OF PRODUCTS IN DOMESTIC HARD LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET 34
- 5.4 PAVING AND WALLING 35
- 5.4.1 Market Size 35
- 5.4.2 Key Suppliers of Paving and Walling Products 38
- 5.5 FENCING, TRELLIS AND GARDEN STRUCTURES 40
- 5.5.1 Market Size 40
- 5.5.2 Product Mix of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures 42
- 5.5.3 Key Suppliers of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures 43
- 5.6 DOMESTIC DECKING 44
- 5.6.1 Market Size 44
- 5.6.2 Supply and Distribution of Decking 47
- 5.7 OTHERS 49
- 5.7.1 Market Size 49
- 5.7.2 Key Suppliers 51
- 6 GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS 53
- 6.1 MARKET DEFINITION 53
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 53
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 54
- 6.4 POTS AND PLANTERS 55
- 6.4.1 Market Size 56
- 6.4.2 Key Suppliers of Pots and Planters 58
- 6.5 WATER FEATURES AND DECORATIVE PRODUCTS 58
- 6.5.1 Market Size 59
- 6.5.2 Key Suppliers of Garden Decoration Products 60
- 6.6 GARDEN LIGHTING 62
- 6.6.1 Market Size 62
- 6.6.2 Key Suppliers of Garden Lighting 63
- 7. HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS MARKET 64
- 7.1 DEFINITION 64
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE 64
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 67
- 7.3.1 Nursery Stock and Bedding Plants 68
- 7.3.2 Bulbs and Seeds 69
- 7.4 KEY SUPPLIERS OF HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS 71
- 7.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 71
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 73
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 73
- 8.2 ROLE OF THE WHOLESALERS / DISTRIBUTORS 75
- 8.3 DISTRIBUTION SHARES 75
- 8.3.1 Garden Centres 77
- 8.3.2 DIY Multiples 80
- 8.3.3 Builders Merchants 82
- 8.3.4 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue Stores 83
- 8.3.5 Other Channels 85
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS, 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (ŁM AT MSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6 DOMESTIC/NON-DOMESTIC MIX OF UK LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET, 2014 - % BY VALUE 21
- TABLE 7 UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 22
- CHART 8 SECTOR MIX WITHIN THE UK LANDSCAPING MARKET - HARD LANDSCAPING, HORTICULTURAL AND GARDEN DECORATIVE PRODUCTS, 2014 - % BY VALUE 25
- CHART 9 UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET PRODUCT MIX, 2014 - % BY VALUE - DECKING, PAVING & WALLING, FENCING, PLANTS, WATER FEATURES ETC 26
- CHART 10 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID 2013 ('000) 27
- TABLE 11 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS - GREAT BRITAIN 2009 - 2015 BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 29
- CHART 12 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2001-2014 30
- TABLE 13 NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2009-2015 ('000S) 31
- TABLE 14 UK DOMESTIC HARD LANDSCAPING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2009-2019 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 33
- CHART 15 PRODUCT MIX - DOMESTIC HARD LANDSCAPING MARKET, 2014 (% BY VALUE) - DECKING, PAVING & WALLING, AGGREGATES, FENCING / TRELLIS ETC 35
- TABLE 16 UK DOMESTIC PAVING & WALLING MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 36
- TABLE 17 UK DOMESTIC FENCING & TRELLIS MARKET 2009-2014 BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 40
- CHART 18 PRODUCT MIX OF FENCING, TRELLIS AND GARDEN STRUCTURES 2014 (BY VALUE) 43
- TABLE 19 UK DOMESTIC DECKING MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 45
- TABLE 20 UK DOMESTIC AGGREGATES & ARTIFICIAL GRASS MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 50
- CHART 21 UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS - 2009-2019 BY VALUE (ŁM AT MSP) 53
- CHART 22 MIX OF UK GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS, 2014 - % BY VALUE (ŁM) - POTS /PLANTERS, WATER FEATURES, LIGHTING. 55
- TABLE 23 UK DOMESTIC POTS AND PLANTERS MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 56
- CHART 24 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC WATER FEATURES & DECORATIVE PRODUCTS 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM AT MSP) 59
- CHART 25 UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN LIGHTING 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM AT MSP) 62
- TABLE 26 UK DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS - 2009-2019 BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 65
- CHART 27 PRODUCT MIX IN THE HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS MARKET, 2014 - % BY VALUE. NURSERY / BEDDING PLANTS/ BULBS / SEEDS 67
- TABLE 28 UK DOMESTIC NURSERY STOCK & BEDDING PLANTS MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 68
- TABLE 29 UK DOMESTIC BULBS & SEEDS MARKET 2009-2014 - BY VALUE (ŁM MSP) 69
- TABLE 30 IMPORTS OF BULBS, PLANTS, CUTTINGS ETC (EXCLUDING SEEDS), 2009-2014, BY VALUE (ŁM) 72
- CHART 31 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR THE UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET 74
- CHART 32 UK DISTRIBUTION OF LANDSCAPING MATERIALS, 2014 - % SHARE BY VALUE - BUILDERS MERCHANTS, DIY, INTERNET / MAIL ORDER ETC. 76
The 'Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.