Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 10/05/2019 / Number of Pages: 99 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 10th edition of the 'Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2019-2023' addresses the market for landscaping materials used in the domestic sector, which is a mature and highly fragmented market in terms of product ranges, subject to changing socio-demographic and consumer retail spending trends. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure and recent developments. Forecasts of market developments up to 2023.
- Analysis by product group - market sizes, product mixes and sector trends;
- Hard landscaping - paving, walling, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking, aggregates.
- Garden decoration - including pots, planters, water features, decorative product and external lighting.
- Soft landscaping - including bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecasts to 2023.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics - e.g. weather, consumer spending, housebuilding, house moving etc.
- Product group analysis - sector market sizes, product mix, influences, trends and forecasts.
- Review of key players - product mix and market share estimates.
- Review of distribution structure - key channel including garden centres, home improvement multiples, builders' merchants, internet, grocery & high street multiples etc.
Some of the companies included:
AVS Fencing Supplies, Blue Diamond UK, Bradstone, Brett Landscaping & Building Products, Bowland Stone, British Garden Centres, BSW Timber Group, Cadix UK, Cemex UK, Chase Organics (GB), Cherry Lane, Dobbies Garden Centres, Forest Garden, Forterra Building Products, Grange Fencing, Greenyard Flowers UK, Hillier Nurseries, J Parker Dutch Bulbs (Wholesale), Jacksons Fencing, Kelkay, Long Rake Spar, Marshalls plc, Natural Paving, Minster Paving, Rowlinson Garden Products, Richard Burbidge, Metsa Wood, Mr Fothergills Seeds, OA Taylor & Sons Bulbs, Plasmor, Quercus Fencing, Smart Garden Products, Suttons Seeds, The Butters Group, The Stewart Company, The Stoneballs Company, Thomson & Morgan, Vinyl Solutions, Westland Horticulture, Wilfirs, Wyevale Garden Centres.
- Domestic garden landscaping materials market - market definition in terms of product categories included - share mix between hard, soft landscaping and decorative products.
- Market size - analysis by value from 2014-2018, outlook for 2019, key characteristics of the market.
- Market trends and major factors influencing the market - including consumer confidence & spending, performance of housebuilding/house moving sector, continued interest in 'grow-your-own', attitudes towards gardens, longer term demographics.
- Market forecasts - market size, prospects and influencing factors on market to 2023.
- Hard landscaping - including paving, walling, fencing, trellis, garden structures, decking and aggregates, etc.
- Garden decoration - including pots, planters, water features, decorative products and external lighting.
- Soft landscaping - bedding plants, nursery stock, bulbs and seeds.
- Estimated shares in 2018 of main product groups within each sector.
- Product groups - definition, market size 2014-2018, outlook for 2019 and product mix within each sector. Review of products including trends and factors affecting sector.
Supply/Distribution Structure of Landscaping Materials Products
- Overview of supply structure - evolving market influenced by consumer shopping behaviour - complex structure with various product segments within each major sector having a variety of distribution channels.
- Key suppliers by product group - major players, product profiles, turnovers etc.
- Review of distribution channels - estimated shares of channels including Garden Centres, DIY multiples, Builders Merchants, Internet/mail order, Independents, Grocery Multiples etc - growth of Internet.
- Review of key suppliers in each distribution channel - turnovers company structure, key areas of specialisation etc.
- Factors affecting supply chain and distribution market - positive and negative influences, trends in key sectors and channels.
The UK domestic landscaping materials market increased by around 3% from 2017. Key product sectors in the market are horticulture, hard landscaping and garden decoration. The weather is a key influence on annual growth rates in the marketplace, and the economy also has a significant impact on the performance of the market with higher value projects likely to be put on hold during times of economic uncertainty when disposable incomes are stretched. The market has experienced steady underlying growth over the last 2-3 years as consumers continue to invest in their gardens by updating or upgrading outdoor areas with more modern décor schemes.
The 'outdoor living' trend has has sustained interest, encouraging consumer spending. At the same time, low maintenance is also a dominant trend, exemplified by the recent growth for artificial turf. Besides the weather and the economy, consumer lifestyle choices can also impact significantly upon the size of the market with recent trends including 'grow-your-own', the continuing trend for al-fresco dining and entertaining as well as the recent focus on the garden as an outdoor living space.
The domestic landscaping market is heavily reliant on imported products, particularly decorative items and a significant proportion of horticultural products. The Brexit vote in 2016 has had some impact on the market as the price of imports increased. Distribution of landscaping materials is fragmented, and online sales continue to increase, with the emergence of dedicated garden specialists, as well as generalists. Many of the traditional 'bricks and mortar' channels now have a strong online presence and have adopted an 'omni-channel' approach.
Into the medium-term, the domestic garden landscaping materials market will show steady, if modest, underlying growth until 2023. The market has been positive despite mixed weather in Q1, as gardeners and home owners to venture into their gardens and update and renew planting and landscaping schemes. A key factor in the future health of the UK domestic garden landscaping materials market remains the British weather, which can have significant impact on the strength of the market within a given year.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 OVERVIEW & OUTLOOK 12
- 3.2 KEY DATA 13
- 3.2.1 GDP 13
- 3.2.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.2.3 EMPLOYMENT & WAGES 14
- 3.2.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.2.5 STERLING 16
- 4. DOMESTIC GARDEN LANDSCAPING MARKET 17
- 4.1 DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 OVERALL LANDSCAPING MARKET 17
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.4 SECTOR MIX 21
- 4.5 PRODUCT MIX 22
- 4.6 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 23
- 4.6.1 Consumer Characteristics 23
- 4.6.2 The Housing Market 25
- 4.6.3 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 27
- 4.6.4 Housing Transactions 29
- 4.6.5 Other Influences 30
- 5. HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS MARKET 32
- 5.1 DEFINITION 32
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE 32
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX 35
- 5.3.1 Nursery Stock and Bedding Plants 36
- 5.3.2 Bulbs and Seeds 38
- 5.4 KEY SUPPLIERS OF HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS 40
- 5.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 41
- 6 HARD LANDSCAPING PRODUCTS 43
- 6.1 MARKET DEFINITION 43
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 43
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 44
- 6.4 PAVING AND WALLS 45
- 6.4.1 Market Size 45
- 6.4.2 Key Suppliers of Paving and Walling Products 49
- 6.5 FENCING, TRELLIS AND GARDEN STRUCTURES 51
- 6.5.1 Market Size 51
- 6.5.2 Product Mix 55
- 6.5.3 Key Suppliers of Fencing, Trellis and Garden Structures 55
- 6.6 DOMESTIC DECKING 56
- 6.6.1 Market Size 56
- 6.6.2 Mix by Material 58
- 6.6.3 Mix by Product Type 60
- 6.6.4 Supply and Distribution 61
- 6.7 OTHERS 63
- 6.7.1 Market Size 64
- 6.7.2 Decorative Aggregates 64
- 6.7.3 Artificial Grass 65
- 6.7.4 Key Suppliers 65
- 7. GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS 68
- 7.1 MARKET DEFINITION 68
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE 68
- 7.3 PRODUCT MIX 69
- 7.4 POTS AND PLANTERS 70
- 7.4.1 Market Size 71
- 7.4.2 Planter Styles 72
- 7.4.3 Key Suppliers of Pots and Planters 73
- 7.5 WATER FEATURES AND DECORATIVE PRODUCTS 75
- 7.5.1 Market Size 76
- 7.5.2 Decorative Products 76
- 7.5.3 Water Features 76
- 7.5.4 Key Suppliers of Garden Decoration Products 77
- 7.6 GARDEN LIGHTING 79
- 7.6.1 Market Size 79
- 7.6.2 Key Suppliers of Garden Lighting 81
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 82
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 82
- 8.2 ROLE OF THE WHOLESALERS/DISTRIBUTORS 84
- 8.3 DISTRIBUTION MIX 85
- 8.3.1 Garden Centres 87
- 8.3.2 Internet, Mail Order and Catalogue Stores 90
- 8.3.3 High Street and Grocery Multiples 93
- 8.3.4 Home Improvement Multiples 95
- 8.3.5 Builders' and Timber Merchants 96
- 8.3.6 Other Channels 99
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS, 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6: DOMESTIC/NON-DOMESTIC MIX OF UK LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET, 2016 - % BY VALUE 20
- TABLE 7: UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 21
- CHART 8: UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET PRODUCT MIX (HORTICULTURAL, GARDEN DECORATION AND HARD LANDSCAPING) 2016 - % BY VALUE 24
- CHART 9: UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2016 (DECKING, PAVING & WALLING, FENCING, PLANTS, WATER FEATURES, ETC) - % BY VALUE 25
- CHART 10: AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID 2015 ('000'S) 26
- TABLE 11: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS GREAT BRITAIN 2012 - 2021 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 28
- CHART 12: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (HOUSES/FLATS) 2005-2021 - % BY VOLUME 29
- TABLE 13: NUMBER OF UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS 2012-2017 - BY VOLUME ('000S) 30
- TABLE 14: UK DOMESTIC HARD LANDSCAPING MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 33
- CHART 15: UK DOMESTIC HARD LANDSCAPING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (DECKING, PAVING & WALLING, AGGREGATES, FENCING/TRELLIS ETC) 2016 - % BY VALUE 35
- TABLE 16: UK DOMESTIC PAVING & WALLING MARKET 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 36
- TABLE 17: UK DOMESTIC FENCING, TRELLIS & GARDEN STRUCTURES MARKET 2012-2017 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 41
- CHART 18: PRODUCT MIX OF FENCING, TRELLIS AND GARDEN STRUCTURES 2016 - % BY VALUE 44
- TABLE 19: UK DOMESTIC DECKING MARKET 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 46
- TABLE 20: UK DOMESTIC AGGREGATES & ARTIFICIAL GRASS MARKET 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 52
- CHART 21: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCTS 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 56
- CHART 22: UK MARKET FOR GARDEN DECORATION PRODUCT MIX (POTS/PLANTERS, WATER FEATURES, LIGHTING) 2016 - % BY VALUE 58
- TABLE 23: UK DOMESTIC POTS AND PLANTERS MARKET 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 59
- CHART 24: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC WATER FEATURES & DECORATIVE PRODUCTS 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 63
- CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN LIGHTING 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 67
- TABLE 26: UK DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS: 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 71
- CHART 27: UK HORTICULTURAL MARKET PRODUCT MIX (NURSERY STOCKS & BEDDING PLANTS, BULBS & SEEDS) 2016 - % BY VALUE 74
- TABLE 28: UK DOMESTIC NURSERY STOCK & BEDDING PLANTS MARKET 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 75
- TABLE 29: UK DOMESTIC BULBS & SEEDS MARKET 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 76
- TABLE 30: IMPORTS OF BULBS, PLANTS, CUTTINGS ETC (EXCLUDING SEEDS) 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 79
- CHART 31: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR THE UK DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS MARKET 81
- CHART 32: UK DISTRIBUTION MIX DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING MATERIALS 2016 (GARDEN CENTRES, HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES, INTERNET, ETC) - % BY VALUE 83
The 'Domestic Garden Landscaping Materials Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.