Domestic Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 12/06/2019 / Number of Pages: 74 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 14th edition of the 'Domestic Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2019-2023' addresses the garden furniture, barbecues and garden leisure accessories products sold within the domestic sector. The report includes up to date information on recent trends and issues that are likely to impact on the market going forward over the next 5 years. This report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in the industry or considering entry.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of the market structure, key suppliers and recent developments in the market.
- Highly fragmented market - key distribution channels including DIY multiples, internet & specialist e-tailers, garden centres, high street multiples etc.
- Analysis by product group - garden furniture, barbecues and accessories including trends & factors influencing sector performance, materials mix, mix by fuel type (barbecues), market sizes and key suppliers.
- Forecasts of market developments up to 2023 - market size and factors impacting on the market
Areas of Particular interest include:
- Market performance review and forecasts to 2023.
- Factors affecting the market and analysis of key market characteristics.
- Changes to material mix within the garden furniture sector.
- Review of distribution structure.
- Review of key players - product mix and market share estimates.
- Growth of internet channel and omni-channel approach.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic garden leisure market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Aldi, Amazon, Argos, B&M Retail, B&Q, Crocus, Debenhams, Hilco, Homebase, IKEA, John Lewis, Kingfisher plc, Kybotech, La Hacienda, Landmann, Lidl, M&S, Marks & Spencer, Maxwells, Next, Outback, Primrose, Rightway Bevans, Robert Dyas, Rowlinson, Screwfix, Selfridges, Taskers, Tepro, Texas, The Range, Weber, Wesfarmers, Wickes, Wilko, Wyevale, and more.
Garden Furniture Sector
- Market size in domestic sector by value - trends from 2014, with forecasts through until 2023. Recent market performance, current situation and reasons for trends, including positive and negative factors affecting the market.
- Future trends for overall garden furniture - forecast to 2023, key factors influencing future prospects.
- Product mix by type - shares by tables, chairs, sets, benches, hammocks etc in 2018.
- Mix by material - wood, metal, plastic/resin - market shares, changes by material - 2009 to 2018.
- Key suppliers of different types of garden furniture, leading companies within the garden furniture market - market shares, positioning etc.
- Distribution channels for garden leisure products - channel shares (DIY, Garden Centres, Internet, Dept. Stores, Catalogue/Mail Order etc.), growth of internet, major companies involved in each channel.
- Size of barbecue market in both volume and value terms, 2014 to 2019, with forecasts to 2023. Reasons for recent trends, factors affecting recent performance of the market.
- Forecasts for barbecue sales and factors influencing trends.
- Mix barbecues by type - charcoal, gas - share by value and volume, growth of gas barbecues, other product trends.
- Changing nature of product mix in the barbecue sector and key drivers for this change.
- Future prospects for the barbecue and accessories markets.
- Major manufacturers/suppliers of barbecues, brand shares for 2018, company information. Other suppliers involved in the manufacturing or distribution of barbecues and associated products.
- Distribution channels for barbecues and major chains/companies involved in each channel.
Garden Leisure and Barbecue Accessories
- Barbecue and accessory fuel market, size by value and recent trends.
- Leisure accessory products including - patio heaters, fire pits, chimeneas etc - changing trends, environmental issues etc.
- Key suppliers for each of the above areas.
- Prospects for the garden leisure market - overview of key markets - furniture, barbecues, accessories. Major factors influencing future performance - housing market trends, consumer shopping trends etc.
- Forecast developments by product and market sectors.
AMA's definition of the Domestic Garden Leisure Market covers three key sectors: garden furniture, barbecues and accessories (including cooking utensils, fuel and patio heaters). Key factors which influence the performance of the domestic garden leisure market include the British weather, consumer confidence & disposable income and UK economic performance.
Whilst the UK currently faces the challenge of Brexit and therefore economic uncertainty, the garden sector has proved to be both resilient and robust. Gardens have increasingly benefited from home investment, as they are used to entertain and to socialise, as well as for general leisure purposes.
Nevertheless, the average UK garden is reportedly declining in size, given housing density issues and the number of apartments being built. However, city dwellers are also seeking to use whatever outdoor space they have, including balconies and rooftops, as a place of relaxation, thus benefitting the garden leisure market.
A key consumer trend has been the re-positioning of the garden as an additional room of the house, resulting in the greater use of garden furnishings and decoration to add colour and to reflect personal style.
A notable feature of the market is that a significant degree of garden leisure products are sourced from, and manufactured overseas, especially the Far East, China and Eastern Europe. Whilst this provides a supply of more exotic wood species, such as eucalyptus, production costs of finished goods and components are also typically lower than in the UK.
The UK is facing an unprecedented period of political and economic uncertainty, with the details of future trade arrangements with the EU and the rest of the world still being worked out. This has the potential to impact significantly upon consumer confidence and spending, which includes garden leisure products. However, the sector is proving resilient with prospects remaining favourable over the forecast period through to 2023.
List of Report Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 12
- 3.2 KEY DATA 12
- 3.2.1 GDP 12
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 13
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 14
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 14
- 3.2.5 Sterling 15
- 4. MARKET OVERVIEW 17
- 4.1 THE GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET 17
- 4.2 THE DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET 204.3 DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET PRODUCT MIX 24
- 4.4 OTHER KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 26
- 4.4.1 Housebuilding Starts and Completions 26
- 4.4.2 Completions Mix - Flats versus Houses 27
- 4.4.3 House Moving Levels 29
- 4.4.4 The British Weather 30
- 5. GARDEN FURNITURE 31
- 5.1 DEFINITION 31
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND HISTORY 31
- 5.3 MATERIAL MIX 35
- 5.4 PRODUCT MIX 37
- 5.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 39
- 6. BARBECUES 44
- 6.1 DEFINITION 44
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE 44
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 46
- 6.3.1 Charcoal Barbecues 48
- 6.3.2 Gas Barbecues 50
- 6.3.3 Other Barbecues 51
- 6.4 HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION 52
- 6.5 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 53
- 7. ACCESSORIES MARKET 57
- 7.1 DEFINITION 57
- 7.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE 57
- 7.3 BARBECUE AND PATIO HEATER FUELS 58
- 7.4 BARBECUE ACCESSORIES 59
- 7.5 PATIO HEATERS 60
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 62
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 62
- 8.2 CHANNEL SHARE 64
- 8.3 DIY AND HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 65
- 8.4 INTERNET SUPPLIERS AND E-SHOPPING, CATALOGUE AND MAIL ORDER 67
- 8.4.1 Internet Suppliers and E-Tailers 67
- 8.4.2 Catalogue and Mail Order 68
- 8.5 GARDEN CENTRES 69
- 8.6 DEPARTMENT STORES AND VARIETY STORES 71
- 8.7 HIGH STREET CHAINS, GROCERY MULTIPLES AND HARDWARE STORES 71
- 8.7.1 High Street Chains 71
- 8.7.2 Grocery Multiples 72
- 8.7.3 Hardware Independents 73
- 8.8 OTHERS 74
Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2014-2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- CHART 2: GDP DATA 2015 TO 2020 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: CPI INFLATION AND BANK OF ENGLAND BASE RATE 2008 TO 2023 13
- CHART 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA GB TOTAL PAY 2014 TO 2020 £'S (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 14
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008 TO 2023 15
- CHART 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015 TO 2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 7: UK GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET BY MAJOR PRODUCT GROUP 2017-18 - % BY VALUE 19
- TABLE 8: UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET BY SECTOR 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 21
- CHART 9: UK MARKET FOR GARDEN LEISURE MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES) 2018-19 - % BY VALUE 25
- TABLE 10: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (GB) 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME ('000 DWELLINGS) 26
- CHART 11: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING (FLATS VERSUS HOUSES) 2004/5 TO 2017/18 - % BY VOLUME 28
- TABLE 12: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE) 2013 TO 2018 - BY VOLUME (000'S), SEASONALLY ADJUSTED 29
- TABLE 13: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 32
- CHART 14: GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET MATERIAL MIX (METAL, WOOD, RESIN/PLASTIC/OTHER) 2009 TO 2018 - % BY VALUE 35
- TABLE 15: UK GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2009, 2013, 2015 AND 2018 - % BY VALUE 37
- TABLE 16: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET KEY SUPPLIERS 2018 39
- TABLE 17: UK BARBECUE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2014 TO 2023 - BY VOLUME (000'S) AND VALUE (£M RSP) 44
- TABLE 18: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES MIX BY TYPE(CHARCOAL, GAS, OTHERS) 2018 - % BY VOLUME AND VALUE 47
- CHART 19: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES PRODUCT MIX (GAS, CHARCOAL, OTHERS) 2009, 2013, 2015 & 2018 - % BY VALUE 48
- CHART 20: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES HOUSEHOLD PENETRATION RATES 1986 TO 2018 - % OF HOUSEHOLDS 52
- TABLE 21: UK MARKET FOR BARBECUES LEADING SUPPLIERS 2018 53
- TABLE 22: UK GARDEN LEISURE ACCESSORY MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2014 TO 2023 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 57
- CHART 23: DOMESTIC GARDEN LEISURE MARKET MAIN DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 63
- CHART 24: UK GARDEN LEISURE MARKET DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES 2018 - % BY VALUE 64
- CHART 25: UK DIY AND HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS 2018 - % BY VALUE 65
The 'Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .