Home Extensions Market Report - GB 2019-2023
Published: 14/06/2019 / Number of Pages: 61 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Home Extensions Market Report - GB 2019-2023 Analysis' reviews the home extensions market in Great Britain, focusing specifically on householder developments requiring planning permission (e.g. building extensions). The report also reviews the drivers behind recent developments in the market, and considers likely future direction.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Overall market for householder developments - number of developments granted, regional breakdown, legislation and key market influences.
- Types of building extension - single, double storey, other (e.g. loft, basement), plus other alterations such as landscaping, heating installations, etc.
- Analysis by product group - kitchens, bathrooms, other key building materials.
- Forecasts of market developments to 2023.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Review of key trends - recent developments, changes in planning regulations, regional analysis.
- Market drivers - trends in RMI output, mortgage lending, property transactions.
- Market segmentation - types of extension, function, mix of building products used.
- Key products - design trends for kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, doors & windows.
- Forecast of market performance in 2019 through to 2023 and analysis of the key factors affecting future performance.
- Detailed market data and insight on the home extensions market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Akzo Nobel, Alumasc, Chesterfelt, Anglian Windows, Armitage Shanks, Arthouse, Bauder, Birtley Group, Bison Precast, BMI Group, Braas Monier, British Gypsum, Cembrit, Commodore Kitchens, Craig & Rose, Crown Paints, Dacrylate, Dennis and Robinson, EOS Facades, Epwin Group, Etex Building Performance, Etex Group, Euroclad Group,Everest, Farrow & Ball, Forterra, Galerie Wallcoverings, Gower, Graham & Brown, Howdens Joinery, Ibstock Brick, Icopal, Ideal Standard, IKO, Johnson Tiles, Kaldewei UK, Kingspan, CA Group, Knauf, Magnet, Mandarin Stone, Marley Eternit, Moores Furniture Group, Nobia, Omega, Palace Chemicals, Persimmon, Porcelanosa Group, Promat, Rixonway Kitchens, Rose Roofing, Russell Roof Tiles, Saint-Gobain Group, Select Wallpaper, Sika, Standard Industries Inc, Tata Steel, The Symphony Group, Thibault Design, Twyford Bathrooms, Villeroy & Boch, Walker Greenbank, Wallpaper Central, Weinerberger, Welsh Slate, and more.
Market Overview - Residential Planning Applications
- Planning decisions - analysis by volume from 2013-2018, with forecasts provided to 2023. Includes major applications, minor applications and householder developments, and trends affecting the market.
- Householder developments - market size for planned householder developments for 2014-2018, with forecasts provided for 2019-2023. Includes single and double storey, dormer, garage and porch extensions, as well as external and internal (e.g. loft and basement developments) works, conservatories, heating and ventilating/renewables, landscaping and roofing.
- Key market influences - includes mortgage lending, established housing stock, house prices, the regulatory environment, renewable energy technologies, internal design trends and the influence of the media.
- Regional analysis - for England, Wales & Scotland, including the number of householder developments granted and key trends by country.
Home Extensions Market
- Overall mix of householder developments by product type - segmentation by volume for 2018, including building extensions (i.e. single and double storey and others), landscaping, internal and external building alterations, landscaping and heating & ventilating products.
- Value of building extensions market - market value for 2014-2018 and forecasts for 2019-2023, including as a percentage of RMI output.
- Analysis by development type - volume mix by type of use by for 2018 for each sector, as well as recent trends, market prospects, etc.
- Key product groups - review of key products used in the home extensions market, including market value within the home extensions sector for bricks, blocks and concrete; kitchens; bathrooms; doors and windows; insulation and roofing; plasterboard and decorating materials.
- Forecast of market development -prospects up to 2023.
- Positive and negative factors affecting the market - performance of the UK economy, residential RMI output, consumer confidence & spending, changes to planning regulations, etc..
The number of planning applications decided and granted decreased during 2018, after a period of relatively steady and consistent growth. Although a large proportion of householders are still choosing to improve their home rather than move, the uncertain economic situation has led many to defer large-scale home improvement projects.
Prior to 2018, the home extensions market grew in line with the improving economic situation, and supported by the trend towards 'improve, don't move.' Other reasons for growth in the market include changing social trends and living arrangements (e.g. the higher percentage of older children living with their parents, more people working from home, etc.) and the preference for more open-plan interiors.
Although the general outlook for the UK economy remains pessimistic owing to the ongoing uncertainties caused by Brexit, modest growth is anticipated in terms of construction output and RMI activity. Output within the residential RMI sector is expected to increase, despite volatility within the private sector. As a percentage of RMI output, the share taken by building extensions is forecast to increase.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 11
- 3.2 KEY DATA 113.2.1 GDP 11
- 3.2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 12
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 13
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 14
- 3.2.5 Sterling 15
- 4. HOME EXTENSION MARKET 16
- 4.1 DEFINITION 16
- 4.2 OVERALL MARKET 17
- 4.2.1 Overall Planning Decisions 17
- 4.2.2 Householder Developments 18
- 4.3 REGIONAL ANALYSIS 19
- 4.3.1 England 20
- 4.3.2 Scotland & Wales 22
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 22
- 4.4.1 Legislation - England & Wales 22
- 4.4.2 Legislation - Scotland 24
- 4.4.3 Established Base of Housing 26
- 4.4.4 House Prices 27
- 4.4.5 Residential Construction Output 29
- 4.4.6 Mortgage Lending and Affordability 30
- 4.4.7 Residential Property Transactions 31
- 4.4.8 Renewable Energy Technologies 32
- 4.4.9 Interior Design Trends 33
- 4.4.10 Influence of the Media 34
- 5. TYPES OF HOME EXTENSION 35
- 5.1 OVERALL MIX 35
- 5.2 SINGLE STOREY BUILDING EXTENSIONS 37
- 5.3 TWO STOREY BUILDING EXTENSIONS 38
- 5.4 OTHER BUILDING EXTENSIONS 39
- 5.5 INTERNAL BUILDING ALTERATIONS 39
- 5.6 EXTERNAL BUILDING ALTERATIONS 42
- 5.7 OTHER BUILDING PROJECTS 42
- 5.7.1 Heating & Ventilation 42
- 5.7.2 Landscaping 44
- 5.7.3 Roofing 45
- 6. KEY PRODUCTS 47
- 6.1 PRODUCT DEFINITION 47
- 6.2 PRODUCT MIX 47
- 6.2.1 Doors & Windows 48
- 6.2.2 Plasterboard & Insulation 49
- 6.2.3 Bricks, Blocks & Concrete 51
- 6.2.4 Roofing 52
- 6.2.5 Kitchen Furniture & Appliances 53
- 6.2.6 Baths, Showers, Sanitaryware 56
- 6.2.7 Decor 58
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: HOME EXTENSIONS MARKET - DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED BY PLANNING AUTHORITIES IN GREAT BRITAIN BY TYPE 2012-2017 ('000S) 8
- CHART 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2020 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: CPI INFLATION AND BANK OF ENGLAND BASE RATE 2008-2023 13CHART 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2020 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 14
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 14
- CHART 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 7: NUMBER OF PLANNING DECISIONS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN - MAJOR, MINOR & HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS 2014- 2023 ('000S) 17
- TABLE 8: NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN 2014-2023 18
- CHART 9: REGIONAL ANALYSIS OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED 2014 -2018 (NUMBER OF DEVELOPMENTS) 19
- CHART 10: HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENT DECISIONS BY LA PLANNING TYPES (ENGLAND) 2018 20
- TABLE 11: ENGLISH HOUSING STOCK MIX BY DWELLING TYPE & AGE, 2017 26
- CHART 12: UK AVERAGE HOUSE PRICE £K 2007-2018 28
- CHART 13: RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013 -2022 29
- TABLE 14: UK MORTGAGE LENDING - TOTAL GROSS LENDING (£M), 2013-2018 30
- TABLE 15: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013-2022 31
- TABLE 16: MIX OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF PROJECT (VOLUME) 2018 35
- TABLE 17: VALUE OF RMI OUTPUT AND HOME EXTENSIONS MARKET (VALUE £BILLIONS) 2014 - 2023 36
- TABLE 18: MIX OF SINGLE STOREY DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF USE (VOLUME) 2018 37
- TABLE 19: MIX OF TWO STOREY DEVELOPMENTS BY TYPE OF USE (VOLUME) 2018 38
- TABLE 20: MIX OF OTHER BUILDING EXTENSIONS BY TYPE OF USE 2018 (VOLUME) 39
- CHART 21: MIX OF EXTERNAL BUILDING ALTERATIONS BY TYPE 2018 (VOLUME) 42
- CHART 22: MIX OF HEATING & VENTILATION PROJECTS BY TYPE 2018 44
- CHART 23: MIX OF LANDSCAPING PROJECTS BY TYPE (OTHER BUILDING PROJECTS) 2018 45
- CHART 24: MIX OF ROOFING PROJECTS BY TYPE (OTHER BUILDING PROJECTS) 2018 45
- TABLE 25: HOME EXTENSIONS' SHARE OF PRODUCT SECTORS AT MERCHANT SELLING PRICES £M 2018 47
- CHART 26: MIX OF DOMESTIC KITCHEN FURNITURE PRODUCTS BY TYPE 2016 55
The 'Home Extensions Market Report - GB 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.