Home Improvement Multiples Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 11/10/2018 / Number of Pages: 90 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 13th Edition of the 'Home Improvement Multiples Market Report- UK 2018-2022' contains a broad review of key developments within the home improvement retail market, recent market trends and future prospects, along with retailer and product analysis. This report contains original input and a detailed assessment of the market and represents excellent value for money to companies in the industry or considering entry.
Key content covered:
- Forecasts of market developments to 2022.
- Detailed assessment of the market- analysis of the recent trends and prospects.
- In-depth analysis of the key companies - including recent developments, store numbers and financial analysis.
- Analysis by product group - market sizes, product mixes and distribution of; garden, domestic landscaping & leisure, building supplies, bathrooms, decorating, hardware & housewares, window & floor coverings, furniture & kitchens, lighting and electrical and other products.
Areas of particular interest:
- Key market trends - analysis of market size and comprehensive review of factors affecting the market.
- Review of leading home improvement multiples - includes B & Q, Homebase and Wickes.
- Product mix analysis - covers garden, outdoor & leisure products, building products, lighting/electrical products, decorating products, tools & hardware, HVAC and plumbing products, baths & sanitaryware, fitted kitchens, furniture, windows & doors, floorcoverings and homewares.
- Analysis of mix in retail channels - home improvement stores vs builders' merchants, specialist distributors, online retailers, etc.
- Market forecasts to 2022 - analysis of the key factors affecting future industry direction.
- Detailed market data and insight on the home improvement multiples market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
B & M Retail, B & Q, CDS Superstores (International), Maxwells DIY, Rightway Bevans, Robert Dyas, Taskers, The Range, Wickes & Wilko.
- Market performance - value for 2013-2017 and forecasts up to 2022, as well as key trends and market developments.
- Key market influences - housebuilding activity, changing home ownership levels, trends in housing RMI, increased tendency to use trade professionals for home improvement projects, 'improve not move' trend.
- Consumer behaviour - lack of DIY skills amongst the younger generations, influence of the media and changing design trends, greater use of the internet for research and purchasing.
- Industry supply - store rationalisation programmes, changing ownership of major companies, etc.
- Market size by value 2018-2022 - product analysis, market trends, growth prospects and the effect of the EU referendum on the economy in the short to medium term.
- Factors influencing market growth - Grenfell, Hackitt review, construction and RMI expenditure, regulations, economic uncertainty following Brexit etc.
- Construction output by sector to 2022, with trends for key non-domestic sectors including education, offices, infrastructure etc. Construction output for the domestic sector, including the construction of apartments and trends to 2022.
Home Improvement Multiples Review
- Major groups - turnovers, estimated product mixes, recent developments.
- Market positions and shares for the major companies.
- Comment on the impact of the Homebase takeover and likely changes in the market as a result.
- Store numbers - trends in numbers 2013-2018.
- Procurement issues, processes adopted by the majors etc.
Main Product Categories and Key Ranges
- Overview of overall retail market for home improvement products - home improvement multiples position and shares within the key product categories.
- Overall home improvement multiples market - mix by value by product category.
- Individual product category reviews for: garden, domestic landscaping & leisure; building supplies; bathrooms & sanitaryware; HVAC & plumbing; decorating; tools & hardware; floorcoverings; furniture; fitted kitchens; lighting & electrical; replacement windows & doors; window coverings & home textiles.
- Each product category review includes -summary of total retail markets; home improvement multiples product sales mixes; trends for products; distribution channel shares; shares for home improvement multiples within the retail market.
The home improvement multiples market is at a critical point in its development. Within the last year, sales have come under intense pressure, partly due to the economic uncertainty caused by Brexit and the resulting fact that more people are deferring large-scale home improvement projects. This in turn has adversely affected demand for DIY and home improvement products.
Sales growth has also been hampered by a decline in home ownership levels, especially amongst consumers aged under 35. With more people at this end of the age spectrum living in privately rented accommodation (usually for financial reasons), there is less desire to upgrade and renovate properties.
Another factor which has had a negative impact upon the market is the growing tendency of many consumers to employ professional tradesmen to carry out DIY and home improvement tasks round the house, many of whom source products from alternative channels. Worryingly for the sector, there appears to be evidence of a lack of some of the more basic DIY skills amongst many of today's younger age groups.
The market remains heavily dependent upon factors such as climate and the weather. Sales activity suffered a downturn due to the cold spring weather in March 2018 which is usually a busy period for retailers, although the heatwave which followed a few months later is thought to have boosted sales within certain sectors, e.g. garden and outdoor products.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 8
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 8
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 8
- 2. SUMMARY 10
- 2.1 SUMMARY OF CURRENT MARKET SITUATION 10
- 2.2 SUMMARY OF MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 15
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 16
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 17
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET 20
- 4.1 DEFINITION 20
- 4.1.1 Products 20
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 21
- 4.2.1 Recent Performance 21
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects to 2022 23
- 4.3 KEY FACTORS INFLUENCING THE HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET 24
- 4.3.1 Housing RMI 25
- 4.3.2 House moving 26
- 4.3.3 Relaxation of Planning Laws 27
- 4.3.4 'Improve Not Move' 28
- 4.3.5 Housebuilding Completions 28
- 4.3.6 Demographics and Buyer Behaviour 29
- 4.3.7 Home Ownership Trends 30
- 4.3.8 Growth in Private Rental 32
- 4.3.9 Growth of Competing Channels 33
- 4.3.10 Influence of the Media 34
- 5. HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 35
- 5.1 MARKET STRUCTURE 35
- 5.2 MARKET SHARES 36
- 5.2.1 Market Position 37
- 5.3 COMPANY REVIEW 38
- 5.3.1 B&Q 38
- 5.3.2 Homebase 39
- 5.3.3 Wickes 40
- 5.3.4 B & M European Value Retail 42
- 5.3.5 Wilko Retail 42
- 5.3.6 Other 43
- 5.3.7 Number of Outlets 44
- 5.4 PROCUREMENT 45
- 6. PRODUCTS 47
- 6.1 OVERALL HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES PRODUCT MIX 47
- 6.2 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES PRODUCT MARKET SHARES 48
- 6.3 PRODUCT TRENDS 49
- 6.3.1 Garden, Domestic Landscaping & Leisure 49
- 6.3.2 Lighting & Electrical Products 54
- 6.3.3 Tools, Hardware & PPE Products 57
- 6.3.4 Decorating Products 61
- 6.3.5 Building Supplies 65
- 6.3.6 Bathroom and Sanitaryware Products 69
- 6.3.7 HVAC and Plumbing Equipment, Fittings & Accessories 73
- 6.3.8 Furniture (excludes fitted kitchens) 77
- 6.3.9 Kitchen Units 80
- 6.3.10 Floorcovering Products 83
- 6.3.11 Replacement Windows & Doors and Conservatories 86
- 6.3.12 Window Coverings & Home Textiles 89
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET BY VALUE 2013-2022 (RSP) 10
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 14
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 15
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 17
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET BY VALUE 2013-2018 21
- TABLE 7: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES' MARKET FORECASTS BY VALUE (£ RSP) 2017 -2022 23
- CHART 8: RMI HOUSING OUTPUT AND FORECASTS- BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES) 2013 - 2022 25
- TABLE 9: UK HOUSING TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013-2022 26
- TABLE 10: GB HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS 2013-2017 ('000 DWELLINGS) 29
- TABLE 11: COMPOSITION OF OWNER-OCCUPIER HOUSEHOLDS IN ENGLAND BY TYPE (000 HOUSEHOLDS AND %), 2016-2017 31
- CHART 12: GROWTH TRENDS IN NO. OF PRIVATE RENTED DWELLINGS 2016-2027 (MILLION) 32
- CHART 13: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES ESTIMATED MARKET SHARES 2017 36
- CHART 14: DIY MULTIPLES MARKET POSITIONING 2017 37
- CHART 15: B & Q PRODUCT MIX - SHARE BY VALUE 2017 38
- CHART 16: HOMEBASE PRODUCT MIX - SHARE BY VALUE 2017 40
- CHART 17: WICKES PRODUCT MIX - SHARE BY VALUE 2017 41
- CHART 18: UK HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES - NUMBER OF OUTLETS 2013-2018 44
- CHART 19: THE 6 STEPS OF A TYPICAL RANGE REVIEW 45
- CHART 20: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES OVERALL SALES MIX 2017 47
- TABLE 21: KEY RETAIL MARKETS FOR HOME IMPROVEMENT PRODUCTS - OVERALL MARKET SIZES AND HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET SIZES 2017 48
- CHART 22: UK TOTAL RETAIL MARKET FOR GARDEN, DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING & LEISURE PRODUCTS - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 49
- CHART 23: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES' SALES MIX OF GARDEN, DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING & LEISURE PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 50
- CHART 24: GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 52
- CHART 25: % SHARES OF GARDEN, DOMESTIC LANDSCAPING & LEISURE PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 53
- CHART 26: UK TOTAL RETAIL MARKET FOR LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS- BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 54
- TABLE 27: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 55
- CHART 28: LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 56
- CHART 29: % SHARES OF LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 57
- CHART 30: UK TOTAL RETAIL MARKET FOR TOOLS AND HARDWARE & PPE- BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 58
- TABLE 31: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF TOOLS, HARDWARE & PPE PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 58
- CHART 32: TOOLS, HARDWARE & PPE PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 60
- CHART 33: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES % SHARES OF TOOLS, HARDWARE & PPE DISTRIBUTION 2017 60
- CHART 34: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR DECORATING PRODUCTS- BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 62
- CHART 35: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF DECORATING PRODUCTS BY PRODUCT CATEGORY 2017 62
- CHART 36: DECORATING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 64
- CHART 37: % SHARES OF DECORATING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION TAKEN BY HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 64
- CHART 38: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR BUILDING SUPPLIES BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 66
- CHART 39: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF BUILDING SUPPLIES BY CATEGORY BY VALUE (RSP) 2017 66
- CHART 40: % SHARES OF MAIN BUILDING SUPPLIES DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 68
- CHART 41: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR BATHROOM PRODUCTS- BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 70
- TABLE 42: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF BATHROOM PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 70
- CHART 43: BATHROOM PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 72
- CHART 44: % SHARES OF BATHROOM PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 72
- CHART 45: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR HVAC & PLUMBING PRODUCTS BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 74
- TABLE 46: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF HVAC & PLUMBING PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 74
- CHART 47: HVAC & PLUMBING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 76
- CHART 48: % SHARES OF HVAC & PLUMBING PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 76
- CHART 49: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR FURNITURE BY VALUE (£M RSP) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 78
- TABLE 50: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF FURNITURE PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 78
- CHART 51: % SHARES OF FURNITURE DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 79
- CHART 52: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR FITTED KITCHEN UNITS BY VALUE £M RSP 2013, 2015, 2017 81
- TABLE 53: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF KITCHEN PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 81
- CHART 54: FITTED KITCHEN UNITS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 82
- CHART 55: % SHARES OF FITTED KITCHENS DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 83
- CHART 56: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR FLOORCOVERING PRODUCTS BY VALUE £M RSP 2013, 2015, 2017 84
- TABLE 57: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF FLOORCOVERING PRODUCTS BY CATEGORY 2017 84
- CHART 58: FLOORCOVERINGS DISTRIBUTION SHARES BY CHANNEL BY VALUE 2017 85
- CHART 59: % SHARES OF FLOORING & TILING DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 86
- CHART 60: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR REPLACEMENT WINDOWS & DOORS AND CONSERVATORIES BY VALUE £M RSP 2013, 2015, 2017 87
- TABLE 61: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES SALES MIX OF WINDOWS, DOORS & CONSERVATORIES BY CATEGORY 2017 87
- CHART 62: % SHARES OF REPLACEMENT WINDOWS & DOORS AND CONSERVATORIES DISTRIBUTION THROUGH HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 2017 88
- CHART 63: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR WINDOW COVERINGS & HOME TEXTILES £M RSP 2013, 2015, 2017 89
The 'Home Improvement Multiples Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.