Infrastructure Equipment Hire Market - UK 2012-2016 Analysis
Published: 20/11/2012 / Number of Pages: 74 / Price:
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the First Edition of AMA Research's report 'Infrastructure Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis'. Incorporating original input and primary research, this new report represents the latest in the series of hire market reports and provides an informed and up to date analysis of the market.
Key sectors covered in the market include:
- Inrastructure Hire Market
- Hire Companies
- Analysis by product group / by infrastructure sector - Lifting, Cleaning and Floor Preparation, Earth-Moving, Concreting and Compacting, Pumping, Crushing and Screening Plant, Skips and Rubbish Chutes, Road Making, Access Equipment Hire, Hand and Power Tools, Primary Construction Equipment, Compressors/Generators/ Lighting/Welding Generators, Portable Buildings and Environmental Hire, Lighting, Welding, Power, Ancilliary Hire Products, Gardening and Landscaping Equipment, Transport (Tippers, Low Loaders, Sweepers, Bowsers, Washing Stations)
This unique new report quantifies hire developments within the infrastructure sectors, with emphasis on qualitative and quantitative market assessment. Market and sector sizes, recent trends, key influencing factors and forecasts of future market developments are all assessed. The report also includes estimates of hire product values in the infrastructure sector.
Of particular interest:
- Analysis of market performance 2010-2012.
- Market shares and review of major players in UK infrastructure hire industry.
- Hire product group analysis - product mix estimates.
- Market size of principal infrastructure sectors in terms of hire product shares 2012-2013.
- Major equipment/machinery/suppliers by hire product sector.
- Forecast of market size 2012-2016.
- Detailed market data and insight on the infrastructure equipment hire market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the key companies featured include:
AB 2000, Aggreko, Ainscough Crane Hire, ALE, Alfred McAlpine Plant Services Division, Ambrose Plant Hire, Andrews Sykes Group, Apex Generators, A-Plant, Beck and Pollitzer Engineering, Briggs Equipment, Carrier Rental Systems, Clive Barford, Finning Group UK, Flannery Plant Hire, Gamble Jarvis Plant,Gap Group, Garic, GE Capital Equipment Services, Hawk Plant, HE Services (Plant Hire), Hewden, HSS Hire Service Group, Hydrex Equipment (UK), King Lifting, Lavendon Group, Liebherr-Rental, Loxam Access, M.J.Church Plant, Mammoet UK, Pochin Concrete Pumping, Quattro Plant, Select Plant Hire, Selwood, Speedy Hire, The Morris Leslie Group, Turner Group, VP, Walters Group, Weldex (International) Offshore, Whiteinch Demolition.
Hire Market - Infrastructure Sector
- Market definition in terms of infrastructure market - roads, railways, water, electricity, gas/communications/air, sewerage, ports and harbour - range of hire products, and hire companies,etc.
- Historical and current market size and trends 2010-2012. Factors influencing market development (legislation, infrastructure developments, etc.
- Forecasts of market size up to 2016.
- Future prospects for infrastructure hire market - impact of construction activity, new product ranges, product development targeted at hire market, new market entrants, impact of developments etc.
- Number of outlets - plant hire, tool hire, and specialists. Key trends etc.
- Market shares of major hire companies within the infrastructure sector - growing concentration of the industry, increasing shares through acquisitions and organic growth. New market entrants/growth companies.
- Review of major hire companies - turnover, branches, areas of specialisation etc.
- Review of key specialists - skips, portable buildings, earth moving, materials handlers, cranes, powered access, non-mechanical access, formwork/falsework/propping/shoring, piles and pile driving, tunneling, generators, pumps, road making, compressors, tippers, sweepers, bowsers, washing stations, low loaders, etc.
Products / Suppliers
- Market size by major product group
- Analysis by Product Group:-
- Lifting - Cranes, Material Handling, Telehandlers, etc.
- Earth-moving - Excavators, Loading Shovels, Dump Trucks, and Site Dumpers.
- Pumping, Crushing and Screening Plant - Concrete Pumps and Concrete Mixers, Pumps, Crushing and Screening Plant.
- Road Making - Rollers, Planers, Pavers, Hot Boxes, Trenchers,etc.
- Compressors / Generators / Lighting / Welder Generators.
- Hand and Power Tools - Breaking and Drilling, Cutting and Grinding, Carpentry and Woodworking, Plumbing Equipment, etc.
- Lighting, Welding, Power - 'Small' Products.
- Gardening and Landscaping Equipment.
- Cleaning and Floor Preparation.
- Concreting and Compacting.
- Skips and Rubbish Chutes.
- Access Equipment Hire - Powered and Non-Powered.
- Primary Construction Equipment - Formwork, Falsework, Propping, Shoring: Piles and Pile Driving Equipment: Tunnelling Equipment.
- Portable Buildings and Environmental Hire - (including Heating, Cooling, Drying Equipment).
- Transport (Tippers, Low Loaders, Sweepers, Bowsers, Washing Stations).
Ancillary Hire Products
- Product mix within major product groups - assize and analysis by major sectors, share by sector, key trends, growth sectors, areas of specialization, etc.
- Market size of hire products by infrastructure sector - product mix by sector (e.g. equipment mix by roads, rail, electricity etc.)
- Major equipment/machinery suppliers by hire sector product group.
- Impact of infrastructure projects on hire market product sectors including Crossrail, HS2, Thames Tideway.
- Key infrastructure sectors including transport, electricity, gas/communications/air, water, sewage, ports and harbours.
- Future developments, implications for hire companies. Economic influences, future growth prospects for infrastructure hire market from2012-2016.
The UK construction equipment infrastructure hire market is estimated to be worth some £687m in 2011, reflecting positive market conditions of around 7-8% growth over 2010. Market performance over the last 3 years has been generally positive, though difficult to estimate, with underlying growth of around 20% over the 2008-11 period - reflecting variable trends within different infrastructure hire product groups and the relative size of government investment programmes in key end use sectors. ONS data indicates infrastructure has grown by over 50% in the 2008-11 period, but this overstates real growth in output and includes some re-classification of data.
Key influences impacting on the infrastructure hire sector include the performance of the UK economy, scale and timing of major investment programmes, health and safety issues, environmental and energy efficiency legislation etc.
Equipment hire varies significantly between projects, with some projects such as gas pipeline laying often spending up to 10% on hire of equipment.
The leading players in the UK infrastructure construction equipment hire market include Speedy Hire, A-Plant, HSS, Ainscough, Harsco Infrastructure Services, Hewden, Lavendon, VP Plc, Hydrex/Network Rail (NDS) Plant, GAP Group, etc., though the market is relatively fragmented due to the high number of specialist operators with different competitors in different hire product sectors.
Earth moving equipment, estimated to be the largest product sector, accounts for over 30% of hire turnover, while lifting accounts for around 20%, pumping, crushing and screening plant 10%, road making, also 'other' including primary construction equipment/transport/ancillary, 8%, access equipment 7%, etc.
Uncertainty in the hire industry caused by the cancellation or deferment of construction projects continues to impact negatively on hire companies in the UK. Medium to long term levels of growth in the infrastructure hire sector are likely to be underpinned by major construction projects including, for example, Crossrail, Thames Gateway, Amp5, Thames Tideway Tunnel, road and rail construction programmes, also ports and harbours, gas and communications, and the development of wind turbines.
The progress of infrastructure construction projects continues to be adversely impacted by planning delays, funding problems and lack of finance from the private sector. A key factor in the longer term is uncertainty in Government policy which is undermining confidence in investing in major infrastructure projects. HS2, nuclear energy, wind farms, airport capacity expansion are all examples of lack of decision-making either impacting on investor confidence or slowing down construction programmes which could have a significant positive effect on economic recovery, if implemented quickly.
Current forecasts indicate that the UK infrastructure construction equipment hire market is likely to experience marginal growth at best in 2012/13, before recovering more strongly in 2014-16, reaching a forecast value of around £765m in 2016.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 5
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 5
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 7
- 2.1 SUMMARY 7
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 11
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 12
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET STRUCTURE 21
- 4.3 MARKET SIZE 23
- 4.3.1 Background and Recent Performance 23
- 4.3.2 Forecast 25
- 4.4. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 28
- 4.4.1 Overview 28
- 4.4.2 UK Infrastructure Construction Trends and Forecasts 28
- 4.4.3 Factors Impacting on Infrastructure Projects 32
- 5. INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT HIRE COMPANIES 33
- 5.1 MARKET STRUCTURE 33
- 6. PRODUCTS 43
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX 44
- 6.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 45
- 6.2.1 Earth Moving Equipment 46
- 6.2.2 Lifting Plant 47
- 6.2.3 Pumping, Crushing and Screening Plant 49
- 6.2.4 Road Making Equipment 50
- 6.2.5 Compressors and Generators 51
- 6.2.6 Hand and Power Tools 52
- 6.2.7 Lighting Welding and Power 54
- 6.2.8 Access Equipment Hire 55
- 6.2.9 Portable Buildings and Environmental Hire Products 56
- 6.2.10 Others 57
- 7. END USE APPLICATIONS 60
- 7.1 Overview of Key End Use Infrastructure Sectors 60
- 7.2 Hire Market Product Mix in Roads Sector 62
- 7.3 Hire Market Product Mix in Rail Sector 63
- 7.4 Hire Market Product Mix in Gas, Communications, Airports Sector 65
- 7.5 Hire Market Product Mix in Water Sector 67
- 7.6 Hire Market Product Mix in Electricity Sector 68
- 7.7 Hire Market Product Mix in Sewerage Sector 70
- 7.8 Hire Market Product Mix in Ports & Harbours Sector 72
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2008-2016 (£M) 7
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2010-2012 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 10
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016 12
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016 13
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- CHART 6 CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE - 2011 22
- TABLE 7 UK INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET 2008-2011 (AT HIRE MARKET PRICES) 23
- TABLE 8 UK CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET AT HIRE MARKET PRICES 2011-2016 25
- TABLE 9 INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2008 - 2011 BY VALUE (£M) AND % CHANGE BY VALUE 29
- TABLE 10 INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT 2008 TO 2012 Q1 - BY VALUE (£ MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 30
- CHART 11 INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GROWTH FORECASTS 2006 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 31
- TABLE 12 MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE OPERATORS BY VALUE £M IN 2011 34
- CHART 13 OVERVIEW OF KEY PRODUCT SECTORS IN INFRASTRUCTURE EQUIPMENT HIRE MARKET - EARTH MOVING, LIFTING, PUMPING/CRUSHING/SCREENING, ROAD MAKING, ACCESS ETC. 44
- TABLE 14 OVERALL CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) - 2011 45
- TABLE 15 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR EARTH MOVING PRODUCTS (EXCAVATORS, LOADING SHOVELS, DUMP TRUCKS, OTHERS) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2011 46
- TABLE 16 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR LIFTING PLANT (CRANES, MATERIALS HANDLING) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2011 47
- TABLE 17 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR PUMPING, CRUSHING AND SCREENING PLANT AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2011 49
- TABLE 18 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR ROAD MAKING PRODUCTS (ROLLERS, PLANERS/PAVERS, OTHERS) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2011 50
- TABLE 19 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR COMPRESSORS AND GENERATORS AT HIRE MARKET VALUE 2011 51
- TABLE 20 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR HAND AND POWER TOOLS (BREAKING/DRILLING, CUTTING, CARPENTRY, PLUMBING, GARDENING, CLEANING ETC) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 2011 53
- TABLE 21 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR SMALL GENERATORS AND ASSOCIATED LIGHTING, WELDING AND POWER AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 2011 54
- TABLE 22 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR ACCESS EQUIPMENT (POWERED, SCAFFOLDING, TOWERS, LADDERS ETC.) AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 2011 55
- TABLE 23 INFRASTRUCTURE HIRE MARKET FOR PORTABLE ACCOMMODATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 2011 56
- TABLE 24 OTHERS - INFRASTRUCTURE PRIMARY CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT, CONCRETING AND COMPACTING, SKIPS AND CHUTES, TRANSPORT, SWEEPERS, BOWSERS, WASHERS, ANCILLARY EQUIPMENT AT HIRE MARKET VALUE (£M) 2011 58
- CHART 25 OVERVIEW OF KEY INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS FOR HIRE EQUIPMENT - 2011 BY VALUE 60
- TABLE 26 HIRE MARKET VALUE OF CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT INFRASTRUCTURE END USE SECTORS (ROADS, RAIL, ELECTRICITY, WATER, GAS/COMMUNICS/AIR, PORTS ETC) - 2011 BY VALUE (£M) 61
- TABLE 27 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE ROADS SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 62
- TABLE 28 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE RAIL SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 64
- TABLE 29 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE GAS/COMMUNICATIONS/AIRPORTS SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 65
- TABLE 30 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE WATER SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 67
- TABLE 31 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE ELECTRICITY SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 69
- TABLE 32 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE SEWERAGE SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 71
- TABLE 33 HIRE MARKET PRODUCT MIX IN THE PORTS AND HARBOURS SECTOR IN 2011, BY VALUE £M 72
The 'Infrastructure Equipment Hire Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis' costs £495+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.