Internet Garden Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 01/11/2016 / Number of Pages: 91 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
The 4th edition of the 'Internet Garden Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' comprises a detailed study of the developing online distribution market for garden products and analyses current trends by product sector. It reviews recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years for both specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialists in this market. This unique market research report answers the need for both quantative and qualitative anaysis of the internet gardening market and represents an invaluable guide to both online retailers and garden product suppliers.
Key sections covered:
- Detailed assessment of the market - analysis of market structure and developments.
- Mix of specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialist suppliers in the internet garden products market.
- Internet distribution market - analysis by product group.
- Market size, supplier mix and market trends.
- Product sector analysis - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries.
Key areas of insight include:
- Overview of garden products market - size and forecasts to 2020.
- Review of internet garden products market - market value estimates 2011-2016, market segmentation, online product mix estimates, forecasts to 2020.
- Continuingly evolving competitive market.
- Review of key internet suppliers - profiles of the main garden products e-tailers and non-specialists.
- Market forecasts - growth prospects in 2016-2020, key sectors, opportunities.
Some of the companies included:
Amazon, Argos, Calgary Just Companies, crocus.co.uk, Dobbies Garden Centres, Garden Bargains, Garden Centre Online, Garden Direct, Garden Products Online, Garden Supply Direct, Garden4less, Gardening Express, Gerrico, Greenfingers Trading, Growhouse, Hall's Garden Supplies, Jersey Choice, Keengardener, Kybotech, Lighting for Gardens, MBL Group, Meika, Moneta UK, MowDirect, Notcutts, Oxfordshire Garden Furniture, J Parker Dutch Bulbs (Wholesale), Pepe Garden Furniture, Simply Paving, Summer Garden and Leisure Building, Sutton Seeds, Taylored Investments, Taylors Garden Buildings, Tesco, The Garden Centre Group, The Garden Superstore, The Internet Gardener, Thompson & Morgan, Water Garden, Wyevale Garden Centres.
- Overall garden products market - size, structure and forecasts 2010-2020, relative market performance, key drivers, distribution channel mix shares, role of internet etc.
- Overall internet garden products market - size by value 2010-2020, annual rates of change, current trends, future prospects, comparisons of internet sector and total market 2010-2020.
- Definition of 'online' channels - specialist garden e-tailers, non-specialists with online operations (DIY Outlets, Argos / Mail Order, Screwfix etc.) channel shares, trends.
- Future prospects - forecasts up to 2020, key drivers, changes in supply structure.
- Overall product mix of internet channel - share by value by product group within internet channel.
- Review of product groups - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis & garden structures, decking, water & transfer products and propagation & netting).
- Product groups - definition, market size and review of recent trends and factors affecting each sector.
- Internet distribution mix for each product group - specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialists, relative shares, differences between sectors, trends etc.
- Overview of internet garden products sector - fragmented structure, role of internet within overall garden products distribution.
- Market shares - mix between specialist garden product e-tailers and non-specialists, blurring of definitions, changing trends, new market entrants, product mix estimates etc.
- Market positioning of internet retailers - specialists / non-specialists, areas of differentiation, major variations between product sectors.
- Market size and forecasts 2011-2020 with key market drivers, influences and future prospects.
- Product mix by value - key trends and factors influencing changes to product mix, LV circuit protection devices, isolating switches, distribution boards & switchgear.
- Key trends and underlying drivers by product groups indicated above.
Internet Trends and Operational Characteristics
- Internet trends - including e-retail market, penetration of internet, broadband and mobile devices, typical purchaser profile by age and gender, trends in online household goods purchases, online retail strategies.
- Buying trends - including online research and user expectations, growth in social networking, influence of customer reviews & blogs and online advertising.
- Pricing & distribution - online price comparison tools, price matching facilities, availability of apps, discounts and vouchers, comment on payment methods, product delivery options etc.
- Marketing & customer support - word of mouth promotion, effectiveness of online advertising, social networking, impact of customer reviews, live help facility, email facility, videos, FAQs.
The total internet garden market can be divided into two broad categories; specialist garden e-tailers - where their online operations represent the main or growing proportion of their distribution route to market; and non-specialists - garden products available on through the internet does not represent either their main product range or main distribution channel. Growth in online sales of gardening products have outpaced the overall garden products market by some distance in recent years. Much of this has been driven by the continued penetration of broadband internet services and mobile devices such as smartphones, as well as the expanding number of companies which now compete in the online sector. Between 2011 and 2015, Internet sales of garden products more than doubled, with the sector growing by an estimated 24% within the last year alone.
Segmentation of the internet garden products sector differs from the market as a whole. In 2015, garden leisure products accounted for the largest share of internet garden products sales followed by horticulture and garden equipment. This compares to the total garden products market where horticulture takes the leading share. Both the internet sector and the overall market have drawn benefit from the fact that more people are keen to use their gardens for entertaining and socialising. This trend has pushed up demand in sectors such as garden furniture, barbecues and decorative garden features in particular. However, like the category as a whole, internet sales of garden products remain heavily influenced by weather conditions. Sales within the garden products market remain heavily skewed towards certain times of the year, with spring through to the summer its key selling periods.
It is estimated that non-specialist retailers such as DIY multiples account for the majority share of the internet garden products in 2015-16. However, competition continues to grow within the overall category, as a number of grocery multiples and high street retailers have recently increased their presence in the market. The continued growth of the UK online retailing market has seen increasing numbers of both specialists and non-specialists develop Internet sales platforms. The garden centres sector has been slower than others in adopting online sales platforms, but this is now beginning to change.
Growth within the overall market for garden products is likely to be fairly restrained in the medium term however, more impressive growth is forecast for the Internet sector, which is less mature and at an earlier stage of development. By 2020, it is expected that the internet sector will account for over 18% of the total garden products distribution market and will have grown by more than 55% compared with 2016 levels. While impressive, market growth is expected to slow during the years leading up to 2020, as the sector continues to mature. Ultimately, internet sales of garden products will depend upon demand within the overall market. Future growth rates are expected to vary between sectors, reflecting factors such as varying levels of maturity, replacement frequencies and consumer tastes and fashions.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK MARKET FOR INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.1.1 Product Areas 20
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 20
- 4.2.1 Overall Garden Products Market Size 20
- 4.2.2 Overall Garden Products Market Structure 24
- 4.2.3 Garden Products Distribution Channel Mix 26
- 4.2.4 Internet Distribution Channel Structure 27
- 4.2.5 Market Size and Forecasts of Internet Garden Market 30
- 4.2.6 Distribution Mix of Total Internet Garden Products Market 34
- 4.3 INTERNET MARKET TRENDS AND INFLUENCES 35
- 4.3.1 E-commerce Market 35
- 4.3.2 Internet Access 36
- 4.3.3 Online Research 40
- 4.3.4 Purchaser Profile 40
- 4.3.5 Social Networking, User Reviews and Blogs 41
- 4.3.6 Online Shopping Trends 43
- 4.3.7 Digital Advertising 46
- 5. PRODUCTS 49
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 49
- 5.2 PRODUCT TRENDS 50
- 5.2.1 Horticulture 50
- 5.2.2 Garden Buildings 54
- 5.2.3 Garden Leisure 57
- 5.2.4 Garden Equipment 60
- 5.2.5 Garden Chemicals 62
- 5.2.6 Garden Sundries 64
- 5.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 69
- 5.3.1 The Housing Market 69
- 5.3.2 Mix of Housebuilding Completions 71
- 5.3.3 Consumer Characteristics 72
- 5.3.4 Weather 74
- 6. SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 75
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 75
- 6.2 OVERVIEW OF SPECIALIST GARDEN E-TAILERS 77
- 6.2.1 Market Shares 77
- 6.2.2 Key Suppliers - Specialist Garden E-tailers 78
- 6.3 NON-SPECIALISTS 82
- 6.3.1 Non-specialist Channel Shares 83
- 6.3.2 Key Suppliers 85
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6 UK DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010-2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 21
- CHART 7 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS 25
- CHART 8 UK GARDEN PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL MIX 2016 - % BY VALUE 26
- CHART 9 INTERNET DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS 29
- TABLE 10 UK INTERNET GARDEN MARKET AND FORECASTS 2010 TO 2020 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 30
- CHART 11 COMPARISON OF OVERALL AND INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCT SALES AND FORECASTS 2008 TO2020 (INDEX 2011=100) 33
- TABLE 12 DISTRIBUTION MIX IN TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN MARKET (SPECIALIST E-TAILERS & NON SPECIALISTS) 2016 - % BY VALUE 34
- TABLE 13 UK B2C ECOMMERCE MARKET 2011TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£BN) AND % OF TOTAL RETAIL SALES 35
- CHART 14 GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2012 TO 2016 - % OF HOUSEHOLDS 37
- CHART 15 GB USERS WITH MOBILE INTERNET ACCESS 2012, 2014 & 2016 % OF ALL USERS 38
- CHART 16 MOBILE INTERNET USAGE BY DEVICE (GB) 2014, 2015 AND 2016 - % SHARE OF ALL USERS AGED 16+ 39
- CHART 17 ONLINE RESEARCHER PROFILE BY AGE GROUP 2016 (%) 40
- CHART 18 ONLINE PURCHASERS OF HOUSEHOLD GOODS BY AGE 2016 (%) 41
- CHART 19 SOCIAL NETWORKING PROFILE BY AGE CATEGORY 2016 (%) 42
- TABLE 20 ONLINE RETAILER STRATEGIES 2016 46
- CHART 21 ONLINE ADVERTISING MIX BY SECTOR 2015 (PAID FOR SEARCHES, DISPLAY ADS, PAID FOR CLASSIFIEDS ETC) - % 47
- CHART 22 INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCT SALES MIX (HORTICULTURAL, LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES, CHEMICALS) 2015-16- % BY VALUE 49
- TABLE 23 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION FOR DOMESTIC HORTICULTURAL PRODUCTS 2015-16 - % BY VALUE 51
- CHART 24 DISTRIBUTION MIX IN TOTAL INTERNET HORTICULTURE PRODUCTS MARKET (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16 - % BY VALUE 52
- CHART 25 HORTICULTURE PRODUCTS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2015-16 - % BY VALUE 53
- CHART 26 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN BUILDINGS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16 -% BY VALUE 55
- CHART 27 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN LEISURE MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2016-16 - % BY VALUE 58
- CHART 28 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16 - % BY VALUE 61
- CHART 29 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALISTS E-TAILERS) 2015-16 - % BY VALUE 63
- CHART 30 UK TOTAL DOMESTIC MARKET FOR GARDEN SUNDRIES 2015-16 (WATER, FENCING, PAVING, POTS/PLANTERS, DECKING, LIGHTING ETC) - % BY VALUE 65
- CHART 31 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN SUNDRIES MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2015-16- % BY VALUE 66
- CHART 32 UK HOUSING COMPLETIONS 2011 TO 2020 - BY VOLUME 70
- CHART 33 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS - % MIX BY HOUSES / FLATS ENGLAND 2004/05-2015/16 71
- CHART 34 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2015 ('000S) 73
- CHART 35 TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS)2015-16 - % BY VALUE 76
- TABLE 36 SPECIALIST E-TAILER GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET SHARE 77
- TABLE 37 NON-SPECIALISTS INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET RETAIL SHARE ANALYSIS (DIY MULTIPLES, MAIL ORDER/CATALOGUE, OTHERS) 2015-16 - % 83
The 'Internet Garden Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.