Internet Garden Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 23/10/2018 / Number of Pages: 73 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 5th edition of the 'Internet Garden Products Market Report - UK 2018-2022' contains a detailed study of the continued development of the online garden products and analyses current trends by product sector. It reviews recent market trends and forecasts over the next few years for both specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialists within this market.
Key sections covered:
- Detailed assessment of the internet garden products market - analysis of market structure and developments.
- Mix of specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialist suppliers in the internet garden products market.
- Internet market - analysis by product group.
- Market sizes, supplier mix and market trends.
- Product sectors - horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries.
Key areas of insight include:
- Overview of garden products market - size and forecasts to 2022.
- Review of internet garden products market performance 2013-2017 - market value estimates 2013-2017, market segmentation, online product mix estimates, forecasts to 2022.
- Review of key internet suppliers - profiles of the main garden products e-tailers and non-specialists.
- Market forecasts - growth prospects in 2018 - 2022, key sectors, opportunities..
- Detailed market data and insight on the internet garden market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Amazon, Argos, B&Q, Calgary Just Companies, Crocus, Forest Garden, Garden Bargains, Garden Direct, Garden Furniture Centre, Garden4less, Gardening Express, Gerrico, Greenfingers Trading, Halls Garden Supplies, Homebase, Jersey Choice, Keengardener, Kybotech, Meika, Pepe Garden Furniture, Screwfix, Simply Paving, Summer & Garden Leisure, Summer Garden and Leisure Building, Suttons Seeds, Taylored Investments, The Garden Superstore, The Internet Gardener, Thompson & Morgan, Water Garden, White Stores, Wickes, Wilko Retail, You Garden and more.
- Overall garden products market - size, structure and forecasts 2013-2022 - relative market performance, key drivers. Distribution channel mix shares, role of Internet etc.
- Overall internet garden products market - size by value 2013-2022, annual rates of change, current trends, market prospects. Comparisons of Internet sector and total market 2013-22.
- Definition of 'online' channels - specialist garden e-tailers, non-specialists with online operations (home improvement multiples, mail order & catalogue, others including grocery multiples, high street, discounters, etc). Channel shares, trends.
- Market prospects - forecasts up to 2022, key drivers, changes in supply structure.
- Overall product mix of Internet channel - share by value by product group within Internet channel.
- Review of product groups: horticulture, garden buildings, garden leisure, garden equipment, garden chemicals and garden sundries (garden decoration, fencing, trellis & garden structures, decking, water & transfer products and propagation & netting).
- Product groups - definition, market size and review of recent trends and factors affecting each sector.
- Internet distribution mix for each product group - specialist garden e-tailers and non-specialists - relative shares, differences between sectors, trends etc..
- Overview of Internet garden products sector - fragmented structure, role of Internet within overall garden products distribution.
- Market shares - mix between specialist garden product e-tailers and non-specialists, blurring of definitions, changing trends, product mix estimates etc.
- Market positioning of Internet retailers - specialists / non-specialists, areas of differentiation - major variations between product sectors.
- Market size and forecasts 2013-2022 - key market drivers, influences and market prospects.
- Internet trends - including penetration of Internet, broadband and mobile devices, trends in online household goods purchases.
- Buying trends - including online research and user expectations, growth in social networking, influence of customer reviews, blogs and online advertising.
The total Internet garden market can be divided into two broad categories. Specialist garden e-tailers - defined broadly as companies with a 'substantial' commitment to both online selling and garden products - i.e. whose online operation is the main or growing proportion of their distribution route to market. Non-specialists - defined as companies that offer garden products online, but this does not represent either their main product range or main distribution channel.
Growth in online sales of gardening products continues to outpace the overall garden products market, driven more recently by growth in the non-specialist sector. The Internet garden products market has shown extraordinary growth in the last decade. However, the rate appears to be slowing and this slowdown is likely to continue.
The Internet garden product market benefits from the high penetration of broadband Internet services and mobile devices such as smartphones. The market has also been underpinned by the changes in consumer shopping behaviour and popularity of online purchasing coupled with increasing demand by consumers for omni-channel shopping services.
However, key to the growth indicated above is the increase of online retailing by the non-specialists, including home improvement multiples, high street retailers & discounters, grocery multiple and builders' merchants. There has been some development in the garden centre sector, but the sector has been slower to respond than others, although represents an area of significant potential.
Obviously, the development of the Internet garden products market remains highly dependent on demand for garden products, which is influenced by a number of factors including the weather and consumer confidence & spending as well as trends such as 'outdoor living', increasing uses for garden buildings and GYO (grow your own) activity levels, etc.
Demand for garden products is forecast to achieve moderate growth rates, although will always be influenced by the weather in any given year. However, higher growth rates are forecast in the Internet garden products market, as increasing numbers of companies launch transactional websites and companies with an online presence may extend their product offering to include garden products.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. UK MARKET FOR INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.1.1 Product Areas 20
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 20
- 4.2.1 Market Size and Forecasts 20
- 4.2.2 Internet Distribution Channel Structure 25
- 4.2.3 Distribution Mix of Total Internet Garden Products Market 27
- 4.3 INTERNET MARKET TRENDS AND INFLUENCES 28
- 4.3.1 E-retail Market 28
- 4.3.2 Internet Access (Fixed, Mobile, Superfast Broadband) 30
- 4.3.3 Mobile Internet Access (Smartphone, Tablet, Other) 31
- 4.3.4 Online Research (User Reviews, Blogs, Social Networks, Price Comparison) 32
- 4.3.5 Online Purchaser Profile 34
- 4.3.6 Online Retailer Strategies 35
- 5. PRODUCTS 37
- 5.1 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 37
- 5.2 HORTICULTURE 38
- 5.2.1 Distribution/Role of Internet 39
- 5.2.2 Market Trends 40
- 5.3 GARDEN BUILDINGS 42
- 5.3.1 Distribution/Role of Internet 42
- 5.3.2 Market Trends 43
- 5.4 GARDEN LEISURE 44
- 5.4.1 Distribution/Role of Internet 45
- 5.4.2 Market Trends 46
- 5.5 GARDEN EQUIPMENT 49
- 5.5.1 Distribution/Role of Internet 49
- 5.5.2 Market Trends 50
- 5.6 GARDEN CHEMICALS 51
- 5.6.1 Distribution/Role of Internet 52
- 5.6.2 Market Trends 53
- 5.7 GARDEN SUNDRIES 53
- 5.7.1 Product Mix 54
- 5.7.2 Distribution/Role of Internet 55
- 5.7.3 Market Trends 56
- 6. SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 58
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 58
- 6.2 OVERVIEW OF SPECIALIST GARDEN E-TAILERS 59
- 6.2.1 Market Shares 60
- 6.2.2 Key Suppliers - Specialist Garden E-tailers 61
- 6.3 NON-SPECIALISTS 65
- 6.3.1 Non-specialist Channel Shares 66
- 6.3.2 Mail order and Catalogue Companies 67
- 6.3.3 Home Improvement Multiples 68
- 6.3.4 Garden Centres 70
- 6.3.5 Other Online Suppliers 71
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK INTERNET GARDEN MARKET AND FORECASTS 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M RSP) 20
- CHART 7: INDEX OF OVERALL AND INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCT SALES AND FORECASTS 2011 TO 2022 - (INDEX 2011=100) 24
- CHART 8: INTERNET DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL STRUCTURE FOR DOMESTIC GARDEN PRODUCTS 26
- CHART 9: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2017-18 - % BY VALUE 27
- CHART 10: UK E-RETAIL MARKET - % SHARE OF TOTAL RETAIL SALES 2011 - 2018 28
- CHART 11: UK E-COMMERCE SALES OVER A WEBSITE 2011-16 - BY VALUE £BN (BASE: BUSINESSES WITH 10+ EMPLOYEES) 29
- CHART 12: GB HOUSEHOLDS WITH INTERNET ACCESS 2007 - 2018 - % OF GB HOUSEHOLDS 30
- CHART 13: GB ADULTS ACCESSING THE INTERNET WITH A MOBILE/SMARTPHONE 2011 TO 2018 - % OF INTERNET USERS 31
- CHART 14: GB ADULTS ACCESSING THE INTERNET 'ON THE GO' BY TYPE OF MOBILE DEVICE 2018 - % OF INTERNET USERS 32
- CHART 15: SOCIAL NETWORKING USER PROFILE BY AGE CATEGORY 2018 33
- CHART 16: ONLINE PURCHASER OF HOUSEHOLD GOODS BY AGE CATEGORY 2018 34
- TABLE 17: ONLINE RETAILER STRATEGIES 36
- CHART 18: INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCT SALES MIX (HORTICULTURAL, LEISURE, EQUIPMENT, BUILDINGS, SUNDRIES, CHEMICALS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 37
- CHART 19: DISTRIBUTION MIX IN TOTAL INTERNET HORTICULTURE PRODUCTS MARKET (SPECIALIST /NON-SPECIALIST) 2017 - % BY VALUE 39
- CHART 20: MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK HORTICULTURAL MARKET (NURSERY & BEDDING, AND BULBS & SEEDS) 2017-18 - % BY VALUE 41
- CHART 21: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN BUILDINGS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST /NON-SPECIALIST) 2017 -% BY VALUE 43
- CHART 22: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN LEISURE MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST/NON-SPECIALIST) 2017 - % BY VALUE 45
- CHART 23: UK MARKET FOR GARDEN LEISURE PRODUCT MIX (FURNITURE, BBQS, ACCESSORIES) 2017 - % BY VALUE 47
- CHART 24: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN EQUIPMENT MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST) 2017 - % BY VALUE 50
- CHART 25: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN CHEMICALS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALISTS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 52
- CHART 26: UK DOMESTIC GARDEN SUNDRIES PRODUCT MIX (FENCING & LANDSCAPING, GARDEN DECORATION AND WATERING & PROPAGATION) 2017 - % BY VALUE 54
- CHART 27: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN SUNDRIES MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST) 2017 - % BY VALUE 55
- CHART 28: TOTAL INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET DISTRIBUTION MIX (SPECIALIST & NON-SPECIALIST E-TAILERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 58
- TABLE 29: SPECIALIST E-TAILER GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET SHARE, 2017 60
- TABLE 30: NON-SPECIALISTS INTERNET GARDEN PRODUCTS MARKET RETAIL SHARE (HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES, MAIL ORDER/CATALOGUE, OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 66
The 'Internet Garden Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.