Kitchen and Bathroom Supply Chain Market Report - Focus on Distributors - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 15/06/2016 / Number of Pages: 84 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
The 'Kitchen and Bathroom Supply Chain Report - Focus on Distributors - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' is now in its 11th edition. This report focuses on the supply infrastructure of the bathroom and kitchen industry and the performance of the kitchen and bathroom distributors within the industry. The report incorporates original input and represents a comprehensive, informed and unique review of this market and is excellent value for money. It contains information collated using a wide range of sources, and is specific and relevant to the distributors market.
Key content covered:
- Supply infrastructure - market size of the K&B industry, distribution structure, value by channel, distributor's shares overview of key merchants and retailers.
- Detailed kitchen and bathroom distributor assessment - market size, development of distribution market, national/regional companies, key players, recent trends, future prospects, customer analysis.
- Analysis by product group - market sizes, distributor shares, key trends relating to; kitchen furniture, worktops and sinks, kitchen appliances, bathroom products and shower products.
- The role of the distributor - changing roles, review by product group.
Recent trends include:
- Increasing competition from direct supply channels.
- Influence of the internet and impact on distributor business.
- Focus on own-label brands and differentiating product offerings.
- A continued steady improvement in the economy and the housing market.
- Raw material and fuel costs affecting margins.
Some of the companies included:
Barwick, Bcg, Bedfordshire Bathroom Distribution (BBD), Blackheath Products, Blanco, Bodel Distributors, Bradshaw Appliances Brausch & Co, CD (UK), City Distribution, Claygate Distribution, CMB Distributors, Cooper Callas, CRS Wholesale, Davroc, DBD Distribution, East Coast Fittings, F & P Wholesale, Fallbase, Faucets, Farmiloe and Farmiloe (WBS), Frontline Bathrooms, Gardiner Distribution, Hibberd Distribution, Ideal Bathrooms, International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), JJO Plc (J&J Ormerod), JP Distribution, Leaker Direct (Distribution), MAK Distribution, Maurice Lay, Merchant City Distributors (MCD), N Froy and Sons, PJH Group, PWS Distributors, Robert Lee Distribution, Qualitex Supplies, Quest 4, RO Arnold, Stearn Electric Co, Swift Electrical Wholesalers, Uptrend, Waterline.
Distribution Supply Chain for Kitchen & Bathroom Products
- Market size and key trends in the kitchen and bathroom industry from 2011-2016.
- Mix of products in the K&B industry and key market trends in each sector.
- Supply chain structure and value of the key sectors, e.g. merchants, DIY, share taken by distributors etc.
- Analysis of first phase distribution - from manufacturers and importers, key companies at each stage and key characteristics.
- Analysis of second phase distribution - from importers and distributors to retail, merchant and other 'outlets'.
- Analysis of key sectors with the supply chain and overview of key players, e.g. company profiles of leading builders' merchants, DIY multiples etc.
Focus on the Distributors
- The market size and forecasts in value of the distributors' market for 2011-2020.
- Market trends in recent years, future prospects, forecasts and key market influences.
- Key products marketed by distributors, share of distributors' business.
- Major distributors, market shares, key characteristics, turnovers, product strengths, market positioning etc.
- Leading distributors by product sector - Kitchen Furniture/Kitchen Appliances/ Bathroom and Shower Products.
- Mix of major national/ regional distributors.
- Characteristics of distributors including profitability, key customer groups, competitors.
- The role of the distributor, how this is changing and how it varies for the major product groups.
- Analysis of drivers and forces in the distributors' market - SWOT analysis.
Products / Suppliers - Kitchen & Bathroom Products
- Market size of each major product group: kitchen furniture, kitchen appliances, bathroom products and shower products.
- Product mix within major product groups.
- Product trends by main groups and product sectors.
- Key suppliers within each product sector.
- Distribution characteristics, distributors' influence and share within each product group.
The kitchen and bathroom distributor market has increased by around 7% in 2015, compared to the market size in 2014 and reflects the continued steady improvement in the UK economy and in the building and home improvement markets in particular. Bathroom products represented the largest sector of the kitchen and bathroom distributor market. This was followed by kitchen furniture, worktops and sinks, showering products and kitchen appliances. Sales to kitchen and bathroom specialists dominate the distributors' market, accounting for 40% share by value in 2015, with builders' merchants also a key customer sector. Other customers include DIY stores and retail outlets such as department stores, electrical independents, online retailers etc. Housebuilders also use distributors as their nominated supplier of kitchen and bathroom products.
During 2011 and 2012, the UK kitchen and bathroom products market was comparatively volatile - in line with the uncertain economic situation at this time. However, since 2013 the market for kitchen and bathroom products has seen a steady increase, with demand improving as the economy improves. The housing market is gradually recovering and consumer confidence levels are increasing. The outlook for the UK kitchen and bathroom products market in 2016 looks positive with steady growth anticipated into the medium-longer term.
The role of the distributor is changing, with a need to differentiate products and services and add value. As well as efficiencies of scale, stock holding and additional services, the key to the distributors' continued survival is the increasing reliance on market intelligence. Distributors are ideally situated to understand the market and anticipate changes and new trends, helping them to match suppliers' products to market demands. The growing level of kitchen and bathroom products distributed directly from manufacturer/importer to merchant, retailer or contractor has affected the distributor market recently. The increased buying power of the larger retailers and merchant groups has supported this trend and this is likely to continue.
The future prospects for the kitchen and bathroom distributors market continues to look reasonably positive, with increased confidence in the growth of the UK economy and a positive outlook. The Internet has become an important growth area in recent years and offers some opportunities for kitchen and bathroom distributors to grow and strengthen their position. A significant number of the smaller online retailers are virtual retailers, hold little or no stock, but have structured deals with distributors to supply the product as required. Other trends affecting the distributor market include the increased prominence of larger retailers that sell kitchen and bathroom products. Overall, distributor profit margins have increased moderately since 2012 and this trend is expected to continue. However, price competition remains high and raw material costs have continued to fluctuate.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 OVERALL MARKET 9
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS 10
- 2.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. THE MARKET FOR KITCHEN & BATHROOM PRODUCTS 20
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 20
- 4.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE 20
- 4.3 OVERALL MARKET PRODUCT MIX 21
- 5. DISTRIBUTION SUPPLY CHAIN 25
- 5.1 SUPPLY CHAIN STRUCTURE FOR KITCHEN AND BATHROOM PRODUCTS 25
- 5.2 FIRST PHASE DISTRIBUTION - FROM MANUFACTURERS AND IMPORTERS 28
- 5.2.1 The Role of the Kitchen and Bathroom Distributor 28
- 5.2.2 Other Distribution Routes - Direct from Manufacturers and Importers 29
- 5.3 SECOND PHASE DISTRIBUTION 31
- 5.3.1 The Internet, Mail Order Distribution 31
- 5.3.2 Electrical Wholesalers and Electrical Independents 32
- 5.3.3 DIY, Retail Multiples and Independents 33
- 5.3.4 Builders and Plumbers' Merchants 34
- 5.3.5 Kitchen and Bathroom Retail Specialists 35
- 5.4 INSTALLATION AND CONTRACTING 36
- 6. FOCUS ON THE KITCHEN AND BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS 38
- 6.1 KITCHEN AND BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 38
- 6.2 KITCHEN AND BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS MARKET PROSPECTS 2016-2020 39
- 6.3 DISTRIBUTOR SHARE BY PRODUCT MARKET 41
- 6.4 CHARACTERISTICS OF KITCHEN AND BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS 41
- 6.4.1 National and Regional Distributors 41
- 6.4.2 Profitability 42
- 6.4.3 Distributors' Customers 43
- 6.4.4 Distributors' Competitors 45
- 6.5 ANALYSIS OF DRIVERS AND INFLUENCES IN THE DISTRIBUTORS' MARKET 47
- 6.5.1 Distributor Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats 47
- 6.6 COMPANY PROFILES - KITCHEN AND BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS 49
- 6.6.1 Market Shares 49
- 6.7 DISTRIBUTOR PROFILES 50
- 6.7.1 Leading Distributors 50
- 6.7.2 Other Distributors 52
- 7. DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE BY PRODUCT GROUP 57
- 7.1 PRODUCT GROUPS 57
- 7.2 DOMESTIC KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS AND SINKS 58
- 7.2.1 Market Size and Trends 58
- 7.2.2 Product Trends 59
- 7.2.3 Suppliers 62
- 7.2.4 Distribution 65
- 7.3 KITCHEN APPLIANCES 65
- 7.3.1 Market Size and Trends 65
- 7.3.2 Product Trends 66
- 7.3.3 Suppliers 69
- 7.3.4 Distribution 69
- 7.4 BATHROOM PRODUCTS 70
- 7.4.1 Market Size and Trends 70
- 7.4.2 Product Trends 71
- 7.4.3 Suppliers 75
- 7.4.4 Distribution 77
- 7.5 SHOWER PRODUCTS 78
- 7.5.1 Market Size and Trends 78
- 7.5.2 Product Trends 79
- 7.5.3 Suppliers 82
- 7.5.4 Distribution 84
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTOR MARKET BY VALUE AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 (£M DSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- CHART 6 UK MARKET FOR KITCHEN AND BATHROOM PRODUCTS 2011-2016 (£M DSP) 21
- TABLE 7 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM PRODUCTS MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE (KITCHEN FURNITURE, APPLIANCES, BATHROOM, SHOWER) 2015 22
- CHART 8 KITCHEN & BATHROOM INDUSTRY DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE AND VALUE BY KEY SECTOR 2015 (£M DSP) 26
- TABLE 9 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTOR MARKET BY VALUE AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 (£M DSP) 38
- TABLE 10 DISTRIBUTOR % SHARE BY PRODUCT MARKET BY VALUE (FURNITURE, APPLIANCES, BATHROOM, SHOWER) 2015 41
- CHART 11 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS % SALES MIX BY VALUE (REGIONAL AND NATIONAL) 2015 42
- TABLE 12 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS' PROFITABILITY (PRE TAX PROFIT) 2011-2015 43
- TABLE 13 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS % SALES BY CHANNEL (SPECIALISTS, MERCHANTS, DIY, OTHER RETAIL, ELECTRICAL RETAILERS) 2015 43
- TABLE 14 SWOT ANALYSIS OF THE KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS' MARKET 2015 48
- TABLE 15 UK KITCHEN & BATHROOM DISTRIBUTORS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 49
- TABLE 16 LEADING DISTRIBUTORS BY PRODUCT SECTOR (KITCHEN FURNITURE, APPLIANCES, BATHROOMS AND SHOWERS) 2015 50
- TABLE 17 DISTRIBUTOR SALES % SHARE BY PRODUCT (FURNITURE, APPLIANCES, BATHROOM, SHOWER) 2015 57
- TABLE 18 UK KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS & SINKS MARKET BY VALUE 2011-2016 (£M DSP) 58
- CHART 19 UK KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS & SINKS % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 60
- TABLE 20 UK KITCHEN FURNITURE SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2015 62
- TABLE 21 UK KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET % CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE (SPECIALISTS, MERCHANTS, DIY, FURNITURE MULTIPLES) 2015 65
- TABLE 22 UK KITCHEN APPLIANCE MARKET BY VALUE 2011-2016 (£M DSP) 66
- TABLE 23 UK KITCHEN APPLIANCE MARKET BY VALUE (COOKING, REFRIGERATION, DISHWASHING, LAUNDRY) 2015 (£M DSP) 67
- TABLE 24 UK BATHROOM PRODUCTS MARKET BY VALUE (BATHS, SANITARYWARE, TAPS/MIXERS, OTHER) 2011-2016 (£M DSP) 70
- TABLE 25 OTHER BATHROOM PRODUCTS (ACCESSORIES, FURNITURE, WHIRLPOOLS, INSTALLATION FRAMES) BY VALUE 2015 74
- TABLE 26 UK BATHROOM MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS % SHARE BY VALUE 2015 75
- TABLE 27 END USER DISTRIBUTION OF BATHROOM PRODUCTS % SHARE BY VALUE (MERCHANTS, DIY, SPECIALISTS, INTERNET, OTHER) 2015 77
- TABLE 28 UK SHOWER EQUIPMENT MARKET (CONTROLS, ENCLOSURES/SCREENS/TRAYS, ACCESSORIES) 2011-2016 (£M DSP) 78
- TABLE 29 UK SHOWER MARKET LEADING SUPPLIERS % SHARE 2015 82
- TABLE 30 END USER DISTRIBUTION OF SHOWER PRODUCTS % SHARE BY VALUE (MERCHANTS, DIY, SPECIALISTS, INTERNET, OTHER) 2015 84
The 'Kitchen and Bathroom Supply Chain Heating Market Report - Focus on Distributors - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.