Domestic Kitchen and Bathroom Worktop Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 17/05/2016 / Number of Pages: 69 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 'Domestic Kitchen and Bathroom Worktops Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' is now in its 4th edition. This report, which covers kitchen and bathroom worktops, upstands and splashbacks, analyses the overall market within the context of the wider economic environment and provides a review of product sectors, suppliers and distribution. Current trends within the UK domestic kitchen and bathroom furniture markets are also reviewed and likely future developments identified, along with an analysis of key issues affecting the kitchen and bathroom worktops industry.
Key content covered:
- Market overview - market size, key influences, review of overall UK kitchen furniture and bathroom furniture markets, forecasts to 2020.
- Product mix and trends - key design and material trends, share mix by material for bathroom worktops and kitchen worktops - laminates, solid surface and composites, natural and engineered stone, wood and other.
- Supplier review - supply structure, profiles of leading suppliers by material group i.e. laminates, solid surface/composites, natural and engineered stone, and wood.
- Distribution review - distribution structure, key channels with channel shares, routes to market for bathroom and kitchen worktops, profiles of leading companies within each channel.
Recent trends include:
- Forecasts for 2016 through to 2020.
- Will the trend towards professional installation be sustained with consumers looking to forsake DIY projects and pay for expert help?
- Are movements in raw material prices likely to accelerate future value growth in the market?
- Mix of different types of worktops -how has the mix changed and how is it developing?
- Will solid surface, composites, stone and engineered stone resume the growth, stalled by the onset of the recession?
Some of the companies included:
Anglian, B & Q, BathEmpire, Bathstore.com, Better Bathrooms, Buildbase, Bushboard, Canburg, Cosentino, Dean House, DuPont, Egger (UK), Everest, Formica, Home Retail Group, Howden Joinery, IKEA Group, In-toto, J.T. Ellis and Company, Jewson, John Lewis Partnership, Karonia, Kronospan, Levantina, LG Hausys Europe GmbH, Magnet, Mereway Bathrooms, National Kitchens UK, Pfleiderer Industrie, Resopal GmbH, Shades Furniture, Sheridan Fabrications, Sylmar Solid Surfaces, Tesco, The Symphony Group, Travis Perkins, Utopia Furniture, Victoria Plumb, Westag & Getalit AG, Wickes, Wilsonart UK, Wren Kitchens.
The Kitchen and Bathroom Worktops
- Total Kitchen and Bathroom Worktops markets, overall market sizes.
- Market development, analysis of market size by value 2011-2015.
- Forecasts of market sizes through to 2020.
- Factors influencing market development - growing influence of design/style changes, demographics, house building market recovery, economic situation, consumer confidence, population mix changes, etc.
- Overall kitchen furniture, worktops and sinks market and overall bathroom furniture and worktops market for perspective.
Products, Materials & Trends
- Trends in design/materials in worktops - key materials covered include laminates, solid surface, natural stone, solid wood, others, such as glass, stainless steel etc.
- Share mix by material for kitchen worktops.
- Share mix by material for bathroom worktops.
- Key trends - colour / pattern trends in worktops, growth of non-laminate materials such as solid surfaces, wood, stone, stainless steel, advantages/disadvantages, new product developments.
- Main features and benefits of the different worktop types.
- Analysis of supply chain structure.
- Profiles of leading worktop suppliers - market position, analysis of activities, financial information and so on.
- Distribution channel shares - analysis of shares by value, trends/developments in shares, growth/declining sectors.
- Route to market assessment for kitchen worktops and for bathroom worktops.
- Key sectors assessed include - Furniture Multiples, DIY Multiples, Builders and Plumbers Merchants, Direct Contract, Retail Specialists, Department Stores, Worktop specialists, Direct sales, Internet retailers.
Key Market Influences & Future Prospects
- Future prospects - forecasts through to 2020, key factors influencing future market developments, performance of the economy, housing market, consumer confidence, market factors, and future growth prospects.
- Housing market - analysis of developments in new house building and house moving activity, influence of house prices and consumer confidence.
- Population profile - analysis of changing profile and implications for kitchen furniture sales. Personal Disposable Income and Savings - developments in ratios and impact on consumer durable purchasing.
- Economic influence - unstable global political and economic environment and the effect on consumer confidence and market growth.
The value of the overall kitchen and bathroom worktop market is estimated to have increased since 2011 to reach an estimated value in excess of £200m in 2015, reflecting a recent recovery in the market after the difficult post-recession trading period. In the bathroom worktop market, growth resumed in 2012. In 2015, the market saw growth of 8%, though from a low base, and in value terms regained the level seen in 2007 prior to the economic downturn. Bathroom worktops remains a small market in overall value terms. Builders and plumbers merchants are the major distributors for bathroom worktops with around 40% of the market, followed by DIY multiples and bathroom equipment specialists.
Major issues that are currently influencing this market include; rising levels of consumer confidence, which has increased the demand for design-led features in the bathroom; increase in the popularity of solid surfaces for worktops, partly because they can be worked into any shape and can be used to create an integrated basin, worktop and splashback; and a growth in the number of second bathrooms in the new housing market. However, the relatively high proportion of flats and apartments in the new housing sector and the generally small size of bathrooms in the UK have tended to limit growth in the worktops sector. Although the demand for bathroom furniture and worktops is likely to show only modest growth in until 2020, in the medium to long term the projected increases in the level of housebuilding volumes may lead to increased requirements for bathroom equipment, including bathroom furniture and worktops.
The value of the total kitchen worktop market is estimated to have increased by around 5% in 2015, following a number of years with relatively good growth of 4-5% per annum. The structure of the worktops market is highly fragmented, with raw material suppliers, importers, manufacturers, fabricators and distributors all being involved. The distribution channel structure has experienced some changes in recent years, with growth in the builders merchants sector, while the DIY multiples sector has lost market share recently. Key issues that have influenced the market in recent years include; an emphasis on aesthetics and stylish designs; the blurring of distinction between the kitchen and dining room, with less formality in the home and a move towards open plan living; a growing interest in cooking as a hobby and the demand for professional style kitchens and appliances and a trading up to higher value materials and products.
Growth in the market for kitchen worktops has been steady in recent years, as wider economic and market conditions have improved and steady growth is forecast until 2020. As the kitchen market continues to grow, both natural stone and composite materials are forecast to gain market share, with granite and quartz in particular likely to become more competitive as a result of imports from lower cost producers. However, the affordability and versatility of laminates means that they are likely to continue to dominate the market in the foreseeable future, particularly in volume terms. The sale of kitchens with installation included is likely to continue to increase, with many large suppliers now promoting this service. New housebuilding levels are expected to increase in the medium to longer term to meet growing demand, however, estimates of future volumes are difficult, although it is clear that apartments/small dwellings will continue to form a significant sector. Another key factor influencing the market is the high level of competition at the retail level, which is expected to continue unabated.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 KITCHEN WORKTOPS 9
- 2.2 BATHROOM WORKTOPS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. KEY FACTORS INFLUENCING WORKTOPS 19
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 19
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS 21
- 4.3 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS 21
- 4.3.1 New Housebuilding 21
- 4.3.2 House Moving 25
- 4.3.3 Household Size 25
- 5. UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN & BATHROOM WORKTOPS MARKET 27
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITIONS 27
- 5.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE - DOMESTIC KITCHEN & BATHROOM WORKTOPS 27
- 5.3 OVERALL MARKET SIZES - KITCHEN & BATHROOM FURNITURE AND WORKTOPS 28
- 5.3.1 Kitchen Furniture and Worktops 28
- 5.3.2 Kitchen Worktops 29
- 5.3.3 Bathroom Furniture and Worktops 30
- 5.4 OVERALL MARKET TRENDS 33
- 6. WORKTOP PRODUCT MIX 38
- 6.1 INTRODUCTION 38
- 6.2 KITCHEN AND BATHROOM WORKTOPS 38
- 6.2.1 Product Types 38
- 6.2.2 Material Mixes - Kitchens Worktops 40
- 6.2.3 Material Mixes - Bathroom Worktops 43
- 6.2.4 Material Trends and Colours 44
- 7. WORKTOP SUPPLIERS 47
- 7.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE 47
- 7.2 KEY SUPPLIERS OF WORKTOPS 47
- 7.2.1 Laminates 47
- 7.2.2 Solid Surface / Composites 50
- 7.2.3 Stone 52
- 7.2.4 Wood 53
- 8. DISTRIBUTION SUPPLY CHAIN 54
- 8.1 KITCHEN WORKTOPS OVERALL SUPPLY CHAIN 54
- 8.2 LEADING DISTRIBUTORS OF KITCHEN AND BATHROOM WORKTOPS 57
- 8.3 CHANNELS SELLING TO END USERS AND INSTALLERS 59
- 8.3.1 Builders and Plumbers Merchants 59
- 8.3.2 Retail Specialists 60
- 8.3.3 DIY Multiples 61
- 8.3.4 Direct Contract Through Housebuilders etc 62
- 8.3.5 Furniture Multiples 62
- 8.3.6 Worktop Specialists 62
- 8.3.7 Others 63
- 8.4 BATHROOM WORKTOPS SUPPLY CHAIN 64
- 8.4.1 Bathroom Equipment Specialists 65
- 8.4.2 Direct Contract 66
- 8.4.3 Others 66
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK KITCHEN WORKTOPS MARKET 2011-2020 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 10
- CHART 2 UK BATHROOM WORKTOPS MARKET 2011-2020 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 12
- TABLE 3 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 4 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 15
- CHART 5 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 16
- TABLE 6 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2017 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 7 THE UK MARKET FOR DOMESTIC FURNITURE 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 8 UK MARKET MIX OF ALL DOMESTIC FURNITURE - VALUE (%) 2002, 2008 & 2015 20
- TABLE 9 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS 2011-2020 - PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTOR, GREAT BRITAIN (000'S DWELLINGS) 22
- CHART 10 HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2020 BY TYPE OF DWELLING - PERCENTAGE MIX 24
- TABLE 11 NUMBER OF PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS IN THE UK 2011-2020 (000'S) 25
- TABLE 12 AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2016 26
- TABLE 13 UK KITCHEN AND BATHROOM WORKTOPS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 BY VALUE (MSP £M) 27
- TABLE 14 UK KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS AND SINKS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2011-2020 BY VALUE (MSP £M) 28
- CHART 15 UK KITCHEN WORKTOPS MARKET 2011-2020 BY VALUE (MSP £M) 29
- TABLE 16 UK BATHROOM FURNITURE AND WORKTOPS MARKETS 2011-2020 BY VALUE (MSP £M) 31
- CHART 17 UK BATHROOM WORKTOPS MARKET 2011-2020 BY VALUE (MSP £M) 32
- CHART 18 UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN WORKTOP MARKET - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE - 2015 (LAMINATES, STONE, SOLID ETC) 40
- CHART 19 UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN WORKTOP MARKET - LAMINATE SHARE BY VALUE 2000-2015 41
- CHART 20 UK DOMESTIC KITCHEN WORKTOP MARKET - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE AND VOLUME (LAMINATES, STONE, SOLID ETC) 2015 42
- CHART 21 UK DOMESTIC BATHROOM WORKTOP MARKET - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE (LAMINATES, STONE, SOLID ETC) - 2015 43
- CHART 22 UK DOMESTIC BATHROOM WORKTOP MARKET - MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE AND VOLUME (LAMINATES, SOLID SURFACE, STONE ETC) 2015 44
- CHART 23 DISTRIBUTION ROUTE TO MARKET FOR KITCHEN WORKTOPS BY CHANNEL 55
- TABLE 24 THE MARKET FOR KITCHEN WORKTOPS BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL - 2007 AND 2015 SHARE BY VALUE (%) 56
- TABLE 25 THE MARKET FOR BATHROOM WORKTOPS BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL - 2015 SHARE BY VALUE (%) 64
The 'Domestic Kitchen and Bathroom Worktop Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.