Domestic Kitchen Furniture Market Report - UK 2019-2023
Published: 13/03/2019 / Number of Pages: 73 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 15th edition of the 'Domestic Kitchen Furniture Market Report - UK 2019-2023' has been published by AMA Research. The kitchen furniture market saw increasing growth until 2016, but since then the rate of growth has slowed annually with uncertainty about the UK economy and the Brexit decision affecting consumer confidence and expenditure. This report incorporates original input and primary research and represents an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the kitchen furniture market.
Product sectors covered include:
- Kitchen Furniture
Key areas of insight include:
- Estimates and forecasts for 2019 through to 2023.
- Improvements in materials and designs, providing a wider choice of work surfaces, sinks and accessories in particular, together with more products adapted for elderly and infirm customers.
- Greater consumer awareness of products and fashion trends within the industry, with customers increasingly using the internet to research available products online, before examining potential layouts in situ at various retail outlets.
- Growth in the market has benefited suppliers, such as Howden Joinery, Wren Kitchens and the Symphony Group.
- The emergence of the 'smart kitchen' with the remote control of appliances from a smart phone is still in its infancy, with forecasts of growing penetration from an estimated 10% of appliances in 2018.
- Detailed market data and insight on the domestic kitchen furniture market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies featured include:
AGA Rangemaster Ltd, Astracast, Franke U.K. Holding Ltd, Blanco UK,Nobia Holdings UK Ltd (Including Magnet, Gower Furniture, Rixonway Kitchens and Commodore Kitchens), The Symphony Group plc, Wren Living Ltd, Dennis & Robinson Ltd (Paula Rosa/Manhattan), Moores Furniture Group Ltd, Omega plc, Crown Products (Kent) Ltd, J & J Ormerod Ltd (JJO), Alno (UK) Ltd, Formica, Resopal, Dupont/Corian, Polyrey, Abet, ARPA, Westag & Getalit, Wilsonart, Bushboard, Kronospan, Egger, GEC Anderson and Pfleiderer Industrie, International Decorative Surfaces (IDS), Deralam Laminates Ltd, C.F Anderson Timber Products Ltd, Hills Panel Products Ltd (HPP), Blackheath Products Ltd, Plasman (Laminate Products) Ltd, PWS Distributors Ltd, Potter Cowan, GEC Anderson Ltd, Reginox UK Ltd, SCD Luisina, Schock, Villeroy and Boch, Smeg and Pyramis
- Total kitchen furniture market - market background, product mix by value.
- Furniture, worktops and sinks market - historical market development, analysis of market size by value 2014-2018. Forecasts of market sizes to 2023.
- Factors influencing market development - housebuilding, economy, house price inflation, RMI, consumer confidence, growing influence of design/style changes, population mix changes, increases in the number of second/third time buyers, decent homes programme etc.
- Imports and exports - developments in import and export levels to 2017 (with estimates for 2018), factors influencing the level of imports and the changes in exports.
- Fitted kitchen furniture ownership - changes in ownership levels 2018, factors influencing current and future ownership levels e.g. new housebuilding, choice of products now available, social housing.
- Kitchen appliances - annual sales of integrated and free-standing products, mix by type of appliance, influence of appliance sales in fitted kitchen furniture market..
Products & Product Mix
- Trends in design/materials in kitchen furniture - high proportion of modern and contemporary designs, greater consumer awareness; emphasis on performance and benefits, quality and features, trends in colours and finishes, long term trends in styles and designs, etc.
- Flat-Pack/rigid units - market share mix, quality levels of flat-pack kitchens, factors affecting mix between flat-pack and rigid kitchens, market share of flat-pack/rigid kitchens, assembly methods of kitchen furniture.
- Trends in design/materials in worktops - share mix by material, colour/pattern trends in worktops, growth of non-laminate materials such as solid surfaces, wood, stone/granite, stainless-steel advantages/disadvantages, new product developments.
- Trends in design/materials in sinks - historic / current developments in materials, current and future trends, material share estimates, factors influencing material trends e.g. product development, fashion influences, popular colours, trends in other kitchen products. Sinks designed as 'food preparation areas'.
- Analysis of supply structure - supplier market shares, recent developments in supplier shares.
- Profiles of leading suppliers - furniture, worktops, sinks suppliers, market position, analysis of activities, financial information etc.
- Distribution channel shares - shares by value, trends/developments in shares, growth/declining sectors.
- Role of distributors - importance of distributors in kitchen furniture market, own branding by distributors, review of major national distributors.
The kitchen furniture market is resilient and is driven to a large and increasing extent by replacement and improvement activity. This RMI sector is likely to provide a solid basis for market recovery, once the uncertainty of Brexit has been resolved. A previously strong performance in the housebuilding and housemoving sectors has been followed by more modest growth, which is likely to continue in the next few years, despite the acknowledged need for a more robust housebuilding programme. In the longer term, an improving economic outlook and renewed consumer confidence should help to create a positive environment for the kitchen furniture market.
Within the supply chain, margins are likely to be squeezed by the increasing cost of imported raw materials, although the effects of this should start to dissipate soon. In addition, continuing strong competition amongst both manufacturers and retailers could lead to further casualties in both sectors. Future growth in the market may support a higher level of imports, although UK manufacturers are increasingly competitive in terms of pricing and design innovation.
List of Report Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 11
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 14
- 3.1 OVERVIEW AND OUTLOOK 14
- 3.2 KEY DATA 15
- 3.2.1 GDP 153
- .2.2 Inflation & Interest Rates 15
- 3.2.3 Employment & Wages 16
- 3.2.4 Household Consumption 17
- 3.2.5 Sterling 18
- 4. OVERALL UK FURNITURE MARKET 19
- 4.1 OVERALL FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 19
- 4.2 CONSUMER CHARACTERISTICS 21
- 4.3 HOUSING TRENDS AND DEMOGRAPHICS 22
- 4.3.1 New Housebuilding 22
- 4.3.2 House Moving 24
- 4.3.3 Private Rental Market 25
- 4.3.4 Household Size 26
- 5. THE UK KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET 27
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITION 27
- 5.2 OVERALL MARKET SIZE 27
- 5.3 MARKET TRENDS 28
- 5.4 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 33
- 5.4.1 Kitchen Furniture 34
- 5.4.2 Worktops 34
- 5.4.3 Sinks 35
- 5.5 IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 35
- 5.6 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF FITTED KITCHENS 36
- 5.7 PURCHASING SECTORS 37
- 6. PRODUCT TRENDS 38
- 6.1 INTRODUCTION 38
- 6.2 PRODUCT DEFINITIONS 38
- 6.3 KITCHEN FURNITURE 39
- 6.3.1 Fitted and Non-Fitted 39
- 6.3.2 Flat Pack and Rigid 39
- 6.3.3 Installation 40
- 6.3.4 Design Trends, Materials and Colours 41
- 6.3.5 Kitchen Furniture Components 43
- 6.4 WORKTOPS 44
- 6.4.1 Product Types 44
- 6.4.2 Material Trends and Colours 46
- 6.5 SINKS 47
- 6.5.1 Product Types 47
- 6.5.2 Material Trends 49
- 6.6 ACCESSORIES 51
- 7. KITCHEN APPLIANCES 52
- 7.1 INTRODUCTION 52
- 7.2 MARKET SIZE 52
- 7.2.1 Product Trends 53
- 7.2.2 Suppliers 55
- 8. SUPPLIERS 57
- 8.1 MARKET SHARES 57
- 8.2 KEY SUPPLIERS OF KITCHEN FURNITURE 57
- 8.3 KEY SUPPLIERS OF WORKTOPS 62
- 8.4 KEY SUPPLIERS OF SINKS 66
- 9. DISTRIBUTION 68
- 9.1 STRUCTURE 68
- 9.2 BUILDERS' MERCHANTS 68
- 9.3 RETAIL SPECIALISTS 69
- 9.4 DIRECT CONTRACT 70
- 9.5 HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES 70
- 9.6 FURNITURE MULTIPLES 71
- 9.7 OTHERS 72
- 9.8 DISTRIBUTORS 72
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014-2023 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2019 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 15
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2008-2023 16
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS DATA - GB - TOTAL PAY - 2014-2019 (SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 17
- CHART 5: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2008-2023 17
- TABLE 6: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2015-2021 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 7: UK DOMESTIC FURNITURE MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014-2023 19
- CHART 8: UK DOMESTIC FURNITURE % SECTOR MIX BY VALUE IN 2002, 2010 AND 2018 20
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS BY VOLUME 2014 -2022 22
- CHART 10: HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS (ENGLAND) 2005-2018 % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING 23
- TABLE 11: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS (000'S) 2014-2022 24
- CHART 12: UK PRIVATE RENTED SECTOR (MILLION DWELLINGS) 2014 - 2023 25
- TABLE 13: AVERAGE HOUSEHOLD SIZE FOR GREAT BRITAIN 1991-2018 26
- TABLE 14: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE, WORKTOPS AND SINKS MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2014-2023 27
- CHART 15: KITCHEN FURNITURE MARKET MIX BY PRODUCT TYPE (FURNITURE, WORKTOPS, SINKS) BY VALUE 2018 33
- TABLE 16: UK KITCHEN FURNITURE IMPORTS AND EXPORTS (£M MSP) 2012-2018 35
- CHART 17: FITTED KITCHEN FURNITURE % HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP 1992-2018 36
- CHART 18: FITTED KITCHEN SALES % MIX BY PURCHASING SECTOR (NEW BUILD, REPLACEMENT, NEW PURCHASE) BY VALUE 2018 37
- CHART 19: KITCHEN FURNITURE % PRODUCT MIX (FITTED, NON-FITTED) BY VALUE 2018 39
- CHART 20: KITCHEN FURNITURE % PRODUCT MIX (RIGID, FLAT PACK) BY VALUE 2018 40
- TABLE 21: KITCHEN WORKTOPS % MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE 2006-2018 46
- CHART 22: DOMESTIC KITCHEN SINKS % PRODUCT MIX (SINGLE, TWIN, 1.5, 2.5) BY VALUE 2018 48
- CHART 23: DOMESTIC KITCHEN SINKS % MATERIAL MIX (STAINLESS-STEEL, CERAMIC, COMPOSITE, OTHER) BY VALUE 2018 49
- TABLE 24: UK KITCHEN APPLIANCE MARKET (£M MSP) 2014-2018 52
- TABLE 25: INTEGRATED KITCHEN APPLIANCE % PRODUCT MIX (COOKING, REFRIGERATION, DISHWASHING, LAUNDRY) BY VALUE 2018 53
- TABLE 26: KITCHEN FURNITURE SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARES BY VALUE 2018 57
- TABLE 27: MARKET DISTRIBUTION % CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE 2018 68
The 'Domestic Kitchen Furniture Market Report - UK 2019-2023' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.