LED Lighting Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis
Published: 24/05/2016 / Number of Pages: 78 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'LED Lighting Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' reviews the LED lighting sector with a focus on market size, trends, mixes, end-users, supply and distribution. This unique report incorporates both quantitative and qualitative analysis of the LED lighting products market, and provides market forecasts through to 2020.
Key content covered:
- Market Overview - size, structure, key trends and future prospects to 2020.
- Key end users - and how this is changing.
- Supply chain of LED lighting products, distribution channels and shares.
- The impact of technological developments in LED products.
- The impact of European legislative changes.
- Review of the development and impact of pricing in this market.
Key areas of insight include:
- Analysis of the domestic and non-domestic LED lighting sectors.
- Manufacturers - changes in the supply structure, mergers, acquisitions and companies exiting the market.
- Changing impact of pricing, and market, legislative and environmental considerations.
- Assessment of distribution channels and supply chain developments.
- Detailed market data and insight on the LED lighting market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
ACDC Ltd, Acuity Brands Lighting, Advanced Lighting Technology, ASD Lighting, Aurora Lighting, City Electrical Factors (CEF), Cooper Lighting and Safety Limited, Cree Inc., Crompton Lamps, Denmans, Dextra, Dialight Plc, Edmundson Electrical, Emergency Lighting Products Ltd, Endo Lighting, Eyre & Elliston, FW Thorpe, GE Light Fittings, Harvard Engineering, Havells Sylvania, Holophane Europe, JCC Lighting, Ledon Lamp, Maclean Electrical Group, Medlock Electrical Distributors, MEGAMAN, MHA, Newey and Eyre, Osram, Philips Lighting, Photec Lighting, Photonstar LED, Rexel Group, Ringtail Emergency Lighting, Routeco, Senate Electrical, Status International, Stearn Electric Company, Tamlite, The National Lighting Company, Thomas & Betts Ltd, Thorn Lighting, Toshiba Lighting Systems, Tridonic Atco, Trilux Lighting, Urbis Schreder Ltd, Ventilux, Verbatim Lighting, Vexica, Vita Energia Solutions, WF Electrical, Whitecroft Lighting, Wilts Wholesale Electrical Company, Zumtobel Lighting.
The LED Lighting Market
- Market size by value 2010-2015 and forecasts to 2020. Continued, radical change is forecast and there is informed commentary on these changes and forecasts.
- Key trends and influences on the market - technical innovation, product development and increases in imported products.
- Market share in domestic and non-domestic end use applications, supply chain issues into the LED light manufacturers.
- Market share and product mix - replacement lamps, luminaries and controls.
- Overall lighting market size by value 2010-2015 and forecasts to 2020. Observations and trend commentary on these forecasts.
End Use Sectors
- End-user shares in 2015.
- Definition, description of lighting requirements and LED trends within key end use sectors - including health, education, street, office / commercial, leisure, industrial, residential and other sectors.
- Key influencing factors on LED usage within key end use sectors.
- Particular focus on health, education, street and commercial LED lighting applications.
Suppliers and Distribution
- Key suppliers by turnover and size of company (by number of employees where available). Changes in the corporate structures within the market as the major supply organisations restructure to improve their market shares and profitability in the industry.Mix of main suppliers share by value.
- Key suppliers - description, indication of turnover, mergers and acquisitions etc. Commentary on medium sized suppliers and on specialist LED providers.
- Sales of LED lighting by channel of distribution.
- Commentary on changes in channels of distribution.
- Trends in, and factors influencing, distribution; significance of particular distribution channels, changing impact of online distribution etc.
- Influence of the general economic situation - construction levels and consumer confidence.
- The impact of the drive for efficiency and greater sustainability in lighting.
- Key areas of opportunity and prospects for continued investment in capital projects.
- Future prospects, areas of potential growth/decline.
In 2015, the UK LED lighting market was estimated to have grown by 38% in value terms, incorporating all finished, mains-operated LED lighting products, domestic and non-domestic used within construction and building. The LED lighting market is experiencing an explosion in growth as the new technology becomes more widely accepted in the mainstream lighting market, further encouraged by energy cost savings and CO2 concerns, driven by legislative changes, in turn resulting from environmental pressures. The market remains largely reliant on total system upgrades and new installation applications. However, as the LED lighting product offer has expanded and as the user base has grown, both replacement products and replacement LED lights which use existing light fixture are starting to take more share of the overall market.
Non-domestic end users dominated in 2015, accounting for over 90% of market value, but domestic LED sector has experienced dramatic growth between 2013 and 2015. Infrastructure remains the leading sector within LED lighting with many councils, replacing and planning to replace, conventional street lighting with LED lighting. They are attracted to the significant energy cost savings, lower CO2 emissions and long life cycles, primarily. The Leisure & Entertainment sector and Health & Education have been early adopters of LED lighting and will continue to be major end use sectors in the near to medium term. Retail use is growing whilst office, industrial and domestic use is expanding rapidly. In 2015, the LED lighting market was characterised mainly by sales of LED luminaires, while replacement lamps and LED controls and accessories made up the remainder.
The major suppliers of LED products are finding it hard to complete with cheap commodity LEDs and are looking instead to add value instead by integrating with new technologies, such as the Internet of Things (IoT). The five largest suppliers in the LED lighting market we estimated to account for around 75% of the market in 2015, while the remainder of the market was fragmented. However, there is currently a high level of corporate activity taking place in this market due to its recent rapid growth. The average price of LED lighting products has fallen substantially during the last three years, driven by the growing volumes of sales, manufacturing techniques and increased competition. This will have an obvious impact within the office, commercial and industrial sectors which are looking to replace existing fluorescent lighting and seek the commercial benefits of doing so.
High growth is forecast across all sectors with domestic use a particular growth area over the next few years. The lack of product standards in the market has led to some consumer reluctance to purchase LED lamps due to poor experiences with lower quality products in the past. This barrier to growth should recede as these lower quality products are forced out of the market by a combination of EU legislation and LED price falls on the more expensive products. LED lighting penetration into the domestic sector has also previously been hampered by the quality of light produced by LED bulbs, but this will change as the latest generation of bulbs are producing warmer light which is more comparable with that of incandescent bulbs. Wider use of high value application-specific products in the non-domestic sector is expected to support the market in the longer term. It is also likely that high power and super power LEDs will gain market share compared to mid-power LEDs. Overall, the market is expected to continue to continue to see double digit growth between 2016 and 2020.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE UK LED LIGHTING MARKET 18
- 4.1 THE OVERALL UK LIGHTING MARKET 18
- 4.1.1 Market Size & Trends 18
- 4.1.2 End Users 20
- 4.1.3 Product Mix 21
- 4.2 LED MARKET DEFINITION 22
- 4.3 LED MARKET SUPPLY CHAIN 24
- 4.4 UK LED LIGHTING MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 26
- 4.5 LED LIGHTING PRODUCT MIX 32
- 4.6 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 34
- 4.6.1 Construction Output 34
- 4.6.2 Legislation 36
- 4.6.3 Energy Consumption 41
- 4.6.4 Electricity Costs and Average Prices 45
- 5. END USE SECTORS FOR LED LIGHTING 47
- 5.1 LED LIGHTING END USER MIX 47
- 5.2 HEALTHCARE & EDUCATION LED USE 48
- 5.3 ROAD AND STREET LIGHTING USE OF LED 50
- 5.4 OFFICE LIGHTING 53
- 5.5 RETAIL SECTOR 54
- 5.6 DOMESTIC USE 55
- 5.7 OTHER END USE SECTORS 58
- 6. SUPPLIERS OF LED LIGHTING 61
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 61
- 6.2 LED MARKET SHARES 62
- 6.3 LED LIGHTING SUPPLIER PROFILES 64
- 6.4 SPECIALIST LED LIGHTING SUPPLIER PROFILES 71
- 7. DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR LED LIGHTING 72
- 7.1 OVERVIEW 72
- 7.2 CHANNEL SHARES 73
- 7.3 DIRECT SUPPLY 74
- 7.4 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS 74
- 7.5 RETAILERS 76
- 7.5.1 DIY Multiples 76
- 7.5.2 Grocery Multiples 78
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 UK LED LIGHTING MARKET 2010-2020 (£M MSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2020 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2020 15
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2018 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6 OVERALL UK LIGHTING MARKET 2011-2020 (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 7 UK LIGHTING MARKET MIX BY APPLICATION - DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC LUMINAIRES, DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC LAMPS, CONTROLS ETC 2015 - % BY VALUE 21
- CHART 8 UK LIGHTING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (LAMPS, LUMINAIRES AND CONTROLS) 2015 - % BY VALUE 22
- CHART 9 LED SUPPLY CHAIN 24
- CHART 10 UK LED LIGHTING MARKET 2010-2020 (£M MSP) 29
- TABLE 11 UK TRADE DATA 2013-2015 - LED EXPORTS/IMPORTS AND ARRIVALS/DISPATCHES (EU) £M 30
- CHART 12 UK IMPORTS/ARRIVALS OF LEDS BY MAJOR GEOGRAPHICAL REGION % TOTAL VALUE 2015 31
- CHART 13 UK LED LIGHTING MARKET - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2015 33
- TABLE 14 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FIGURES 2012-2020 (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 34
- TABLE 15 PHASE-OUT SCHEDULE FOR NON-DIRECTIONAL HOUSEHOLD LAMPS 37
- TABLE 16 UK ENERGY CONSUMPTION - ELECTRICITY 2010-2015 41
- CHART 17 ELECTRICITY GWH CONSUMPTION BY END USER (DOMESTIC, INDUSTRY, OTHERS) 2015 42
- CHART 18 LIGHTING ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION BY END USER (DOMESTIC, INDUSTRY, OTHERS) 2014 43
- CHART 19 LIGHTING ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION IN BUILDINGS, BY 'OTHERS' SUB-SECTORS 2014 44
- TABLE 20 ELECTRICITY PRICES IN THE UK INCLUDING TAXES PENCE PER KWH 2009-2014 45
- TABLE 21 PRICE INDICES OF CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, LIGHTING EQUIPMENT FOR ROADS - ANNUAL AVERAGES 46
- CHART 22 UK LED LIGHTING MARKET - DOMESTIC & NON-DOMESTIC SECTORS BY VALUE 2015 47
- CHART 23 PRODUCT MIX - OFFICE LIGHTING ESTABLISHMENT 2015 BY VALUE 53
- CHART 24 PRODUCT MIX HOUSEHOLD LIGHTING APPLIANCES 2015 % TOTAL UNITS 56
- CHART 25 PRODUCT MIX INDUSTRIAL LIGHTING ESTABLISHMENT 2015 BY VALUE 58
- CHART 26 UK LIGHTING MANUFACTURERS BY TURNOVER GROUP (£'000S) 2015 61
- CHART 27 UK LIGHTING MANUFACTURERS BY EMPLOYEE SIZE-BAND 2015 62
- CHART 28 UK LED LIGHTING MARKET SHARE MIX 2015 BY VALUE 63
- CHART 29 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR LED LIGHTING PRODUCTS 72
- TABLE 30 LED LIGHTING DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARES 2015 BY VALUE 73
- CHART 31 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2014 BY VALUE % (EDMUNDSON, REXEL, CEF ETC.) 74
- CHART 32 DIY MULTIPLES MARKET SHARE 2015 - % BY VALUE 77
The 'LED Lighting Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.