Lighting and LED Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 20/05/2018 / Number of Pages: 88 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 14th edition of 'Lighting and LED Market Report - UK 2018-2022' reviews the overall lighting sector with a focus on LEDs with comment on the recent positive performance of the market and forecasts which take into account the impact of the referendum and the likely, more modest performance over the next few years.The report focuses on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and market prospects. The report will facilitate operational and strategic decision-making processes.
Key content covered:
- Market size by value 2013-2017 and forecasts to 2022.
- Analysis of key trends and influences on the market.
- Product sector reviews - lamps/bulbs, luminaries/fittings and lighting controls. Including product mix, end use mix, etc.
- The impact of developments in LED products.
- The impact of European legislative changes and the impact of international trade.
- Analysis of distribution structure and key suppliers.
Areas of particular interest:
- Growth of LED lamps in the commercial sector and development in the domestic replacement sector.
- Focus on energy and carbon savings driving growth of more efficient lighting solutions for key commercial sectors.
- Controls market enjoying good growth as public sector continues to seek greater energy savings as budget constraints continue.
- Changing focus of market from individual products to lighting solutions.
- The development and impact of pricing in the market.
- Detailed market data and insight on the lighting and LED market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
ABB Ltd, Advanced Lighting Technology Ltd, Anglepoise Ltd, ASD Lighting, Aurora Limited, BLV Licht-und Vakuumtechnik (UK), British Electric Lamps Ltd, Collingwood Lighting Ltd, Cree Europe, Crompton Lamps, Danlers Ltd, Dar Lighting Ltd, Delmatic Ltd, Dextra Lighting Ltd, DW Windsor, Eaton Electric, Edge Lighting Ltd, Endon Lighting Ltd, Enigma Lighting, Fagerhult Lighting Ltd, Feilo Sylvania UK Ltd, FW Thorpe Plc, Gamma Illuminations, GE, Hager Group, Harvard Technology Ltd, Helvar Ltd, Holophane Europe Ltd, Iguzzini Illuminazione (UK) Ltd, JCC Lighting Products Ltd, Kingfisher Lighting Ltd, Legrand Electric Ltd, Louis Poulsen UK Ltd, Lutron EA Ltd, Luxonic Lighting Plc, Megaman UK Ltd, Mode Lighting (UK) Ltd, National Lighting, Nordeon, One-LUX Ltd, Osram Ltd, Philips Lighting, PLM Illuminations Ltd, Reggiani Ltd Lighting, Remote Controlled Lighting Ltd, Selc Ireland Ltd, Status International (UK) Ltd, Tamlite, TCP, Telensa Ltd, Thorn Lighting Ltd, Trilux Lighting Ltd, Universal Fibre Optics, Urbis Schreder Ltd, Venture Lighting Europe Ltd, Whitecroft Lighting Limited, Wila Lighting Limited, Xicato Europe Ltd, ZG Lighting, Dialight Ltd, Endo Lighting Corporation, Forge Europa Ltd, Photonstar LED Ltd, Unity Opto Technology, Verbatim Lighting, Maxilux, Amitex LED, Advance International, Kosnic Lighting, Photec LightingChannel Safety Systems Ltd, Emergency Lighting Products Ltd, Ringtail Emergency Lighting, Ventilux (UK) Limited, Vexica.
- Market size by value 2013-2017 and forecasts to 2022. Impact of LEDs on the market going forward.
- Key trends and influences on the market - technical innovation, product development and increases in imports.
- Market share: product mix - lamps, luminaires and control, domestic and non-domestic, key end-use sectors and the reasons for any changes in market share.
- Key market influences: construction output, house moving levels, the impact of legislation.
- LED Market size by value 2013-2017 and forecasts to 2022. Including key trends and influences on the market.
- Market prospects - areas of growth/decline, longer-term trend for integrated lighting solutions. Factors influencing the market in the short and medium term.
- Definition, description of different lamp types - tungsten halogen, incandescent, fluorescent, discharge, etc.
- Recent market performance, trends and key influencing factors. Assessment of growth of particular lamp technologies.
- International trade: changes to the level of imports and exports in recent years and the dependence on lamp imports.
- End use mix - domestic/non-domestic sectors respective market shares by value, mix of new and replacement applications, product mix value sales.
- Market size by value 2013-2017 and forecasts to 2022.
- Recent performance, trends and key influencing factors, end use mix.
- Domestic/non-domestic sectors - respective market sizes, mix of products, identification of changes in the mix, etc.
- International trade - impact of imported luminaires and lighting equipment.
- Market size by value 2013-2017 and forecasts to 2022 - influencing factors, current situations, future prospects.
- Key end-use sectors - dominated by non-domestic supported by the retrofitting sector.
Suppliers & Distribution
- Key suppliers in each sector and suppliers share by value.
- Distribution structure for lighting market - domestic and non-domestic sectors' main distribution channels.
- Key LED suppliers and factors influencing LED distribution.
The UK lighting market was estimated to have increased by 44% on 2013 in value terms. The key driver for the lighting market is LED lighting which has gained significant share in the non-domestic sector and has started to make inroads into the domestic market. This technology is likely to promote a period of innovation and expansion particularly in terms of more integrated products, control and lighting solutions. Retro-fitting of efficient lamp products has been crucial to growth rates within the market, particularly the exponential growth of LED lighting. The trend for improving lighting quality, particularly the demand for "whiter" light in the private commercial sector has increased demand for higher value LED and fluorescent products.
The lamps market has recorded the highest level of growth in recent years and is expected to continue to outperform the market, due to the introduction of a wide range of replacement, higher value LED and low energy halogen products. As prices of these products fall considerably and penetration increases, this sector is expected to slow, further limited by increasing lifecycles of products reducing the replacement market. Controls remain an important sector with high levels of growth and potential for this to continue. This reflects a sustained focus placed on efficiency and cost savings with organisations recognising the need to reduce unnecessary lighting provision.
Luminaires dominate the UK lighting market, although their overall share of the market is gradually declining in response to the high growth of other sectors, especially lamps. In the longer term, this trend is likely to reverse as more high value integrated products gaining ground in the market. Strong luminaire market growth has been underpinned by investment in street lighting, rising levels of house completions as well as improvements in construction output for both the domestic and non-domestic sectors.
Prospects for the UK lighting market remain positive, although more muted than recent history with annual growth rates of around 4-5% to 2022. There is potential for growth from the domestic sector as the take-up of LED systems offers increased scope for a reduction in energy-use, improved controls, and as technology prices fall and awareness of benefits increases. As users become used to longer lifecycles of lamps and shift views away from them being throw away products, they are likely to start moving towards integrated products, supporting the luminaire sector. Despite the increased demand for LED technologies there has been an oversupply to the global market, especially from developing countries and China. As a result, the global prices of LEDs have fallen significantly and are likely to continue to decline to some extent as wider usage results in more competition.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 13
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 14
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 15
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. THE UK LIGHTING MARKET 18
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE 19
- 4.2.1 Market Value 19
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 21
- 4.2.3 LED Market 22
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 25
- 4.3.1 Construction Output 25
- 4.3.2 Legislation 29
- 4.3.3 Energy Consumption 30
- 4.3.4 International Trade 32
- 4.4 PRODUCT MIX 34
- 4.5 END USE SECTORS 36
- 4.5.1 Mix of Sectors 36
- 4.5.2 Domestic Use 38
- 4.5.3 Healthcare 40
- 4.5.4 Education 41
- 4.5.5 Road and Street Lighting Use of LED 42
- 4.5.6 Office Lighting 43
- 4.5.7 Retail Sector 46
- 4.5.8 Industrial 47
- 4.5.9 Other End Use Sectors 48
- 5. PRODUCT MARKETS 50
- 5.1 LAMPS MARKET 50
- 5.1.1 Market Definition 50
- 5.1.2 Market Size & Trends 50
- 5.1.3 End User Mix 52
- 5.1.4 Product Mix 53
- 5.2 LUMINAIRES MARKET 55
- 5.2.1 Market Definition 55
- 5.2.2 Market Size & Trends 56
- 5.2.3 End User Mix 57
- 5.3 LIGHTING CONTROLS MARKET 58
- 5.3.1 Market Definition 58
- 5.3.2 Market Size & Trends 59
- 5.3.3 End User Mix 61
- 6. SUPPLIERS 63
- 6.1 OVERVIEW 63
- 6.2 MARKET SHARES IN THE LIGHTING MARKET 65
- 6.3 KEY SUPPLIERS IN THE LAMPS MARKET 66
- 6.4 KEY SUPPLIERS IN THE LUMINAIRES MARKET 68
- 6.5 KEY SUPPLIERS IN THE LIGHTING CONTROL SYSTEMS MARKET 72
- 6.6 LED SPECIALISTS 74
- 7. DISTRIBUTION 77
- 7.1 DISTRIBUTION OVERVIEW 77
- 7.2 CHANNEL SHARES 79
- 7.3 TRADE CHANNELS 80
- 7.4 RETAIL CHANNELS 83
- 7.4.1 Home Improvement Multiples 84
- 7.4.2 Grocery Multiples 86
- 7.4.3 Other Retail 87
- 7.5 DISTRIBUTION FOR LED LIGHTING 88
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK LIGHTING MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2018 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 12
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 15
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- CHART 6: OVERALL UK LIGHTING MARKET 2013-2022 (£M MSP) 19
- CHART 7: UK LED LIGHTING MARKET 2013-2022 (£M MSP) 22
- TABLE 8: HOUSE BUILDING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME 25
- TABLE 9: HOUSE BUILDING COMPLETIONS (UK) 2013 TO 2022 - BY VOLUME 26
- TABLE 10: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2013-2022 (NOT SEASONALLY ADJUSTED) 27
- CHART 11: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2013 -2022 28
- CHART 12: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2017 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 29
- TABLE 13: UK ELECTRICITY FINAL CONSUMPTION 2013 TO 2016 KTOE (KILOTONNES OF OIL) 31
- CHART 14: UK LAMP IMPORTS & EXPORTS BY PRODUCT TYPE (SEALED BEAM, FILAMENT, DISCHARGE, UV IR & ARC AND LAMP PARTS) 2013 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 32
- CHART 15: UK LUMINAIRES IMPORTS AND EXPORTS- BY PRODUCT TYPE (CEILING / WALL, TABLE/ DESK & FLOOR, ILLUMINATED SIGNS AND LIGHTING COMPONENTS) 2013-2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 33
- TABLE 16: UK TRADE DATA 2013-2017 - LED EXPORTS/IMPORTS AND ARRIVALS/DISPATCHES (EU) £M 34
- CHART 17: UK LIGHTING MARKET PRODUCT MIX (LAMPS, LUMINAIRES AND CONTROLS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 34
- TABLE 18: ELECTRICITY CONSUMPTION BY DOMESTIC LIGHTING APPLIANCES 2000-2016 35
- CHART 19: UK LIGHTING MARKET MIX BY APPLICATION - DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC LUMINAIRES, DOMESTIC AND NON-DOMESTIC LAMPS, CONTROLS ETC 2017 - % BY VALUE 36
- CHART 20: UK LED LIGHTING MARKET - DOMESTIC & NON-DOMESTIC SECTORS BY VALUE 2017 37
- CHART 21: PRODUCT MIX DOMESTIC LIGHTING 2017 % BY VALUE 38
- CHART 22: UK DOMESTIC LUMINAIRE MARKET - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2017 40
- CHART 23: UK ENTERTAINMENT MARKET - REVENUE BY SECTOR - FOOD SERVICE, HOTELS, PUBS, HEALTH CLUBS ETC. 48
- CHART 24: UK LAMP MARKET 2013-2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 50
- CHART 25: UK LAMPS MARKET END USE SECTOR MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE (NON-DOMESTIC, DOMESTIC REPLACEMENT AND DOMESTIC NEW BUILD) 52
- CHART 26: UK LAMPS MARKET PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 53
- CHART 27: DOMESTIC LAMPS PRODUCT MIX 2013 TO 2017 - % BY VALUE 54
- TABLE 28: UK NON-DOMESTIC LAMP MARKET PRODUCT MIX BY LAMP TYPE 2017 - BY VALUE (%) 55
- CHART 29: UK MARKET FOR LUMINAIRES 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 56
- CHART 30: UK LUMINAIRES MARKET - END USER MIX BY VALUE 2017 57
- CHART 31: UK NON-DOMESTIC LUMINAIRE MARKET - END USER MIX BY VALUE 2017 58
- TABLE 32: UK LIGHTING CONTROLS & COMPONENTS MARKET 2013 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 59
- CHART 33: UK LIGHTING CONTROL MARKET - END USER MIX BY VALUE 2017 61
- CHART 34: UK LIGHTING MANUFACTURERS BY TURNOVER GROUP (£'000S) 2013, 2015 AND 2017 63
- CHART 35: UK LIGHTING MANUFACTURERS BY EMPLOYEE BAND 2013, 2015 AND 2017 64
- TABLE 36: LIGHTING MANUFACTURERS MARKET SHARE (LAMPS AND LUMINAIRES) BY VALUE 2017 65
- CHART 37: LED SUPPLY CHAIN 74
- CHART 38: DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE FOR LED LIGHTING PRODUCTS 77
- TABLE 39: DISTRIBUTION OF LIGHTING - DOMESTIC & NON-DOMESTIC - SHARE BY CHANNEL OF DISTRIBUTION 2017 79
- CHART 40: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2016 BY VALUE % (EDMUNDSON, REXEL, CEF ETC) 80
- TABLE 41: HOME IMPROVEMENT MULTIPLES MARKET SHARES 2017 BY VALUE (%) 84
The 'Lighting and LED Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.