Mechanical Fasteners in Construction Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 13/03/2015 / Number of Pages: 74 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the First Edition of the report 'Mechanical Fasteners in Construction Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis', which quanitifies demand for nuts & bolts, screws, nails, anchors and other types of fasteners used in civil engineering, building and RMI (including DIY) applications. The report also assesses key market drivers and provides a detailed analysis of the market structure, along with a market forecast to 2019.
Key issues analysed include:
- Market structure
- Market size and key drivers
- Supply chain review - including manufacturers and distributors
- Analysis of import levels
- Market prospects to 2019
- Key applications for mechanical fasteners
Key drivers for growth are levels of activity across the building, civil & structural engineering and RMI sectors, key growth areas being housebuilding and infrastructure works. In recent years increasing global steel prices have also contributed to market growth rates. However, over the medium-longer term key factors likely to restrict growth are critical skills shortages among both trades and professions as well as the natural maturity of the marketplace.
However, the lower priced, standard /generic commodity end of the market is dominated by imports, not just from low cost manufacturers in China and other Asian economies, but also from European and US manufacturers of branded products. UK manufacture is primarily limited to specialist fasteners used in applications such as structural steelwork and cladding systems, a large proportion of which is exported.
Areas of insight include:
- Thorough assessment of the supply chain and identification of key UK manufacturers and subsidiaries of US and European owned manufacturers, specialist fasteners wholesalers and other distributors.
- Evaluation of key uses for fasteners and assessment by size of applications, either by value or volume, e.g. structural steelwork, steel cladding, timber frame, drywall and roofing.
- Assessment of import trends and sources.
- Analysis of leading manufacturers and distributors active in the construction market.
- Detailed market data and insight on the mechanical fasteners in construction market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Ancon, Cooper & Turner, ITW Construction Products, Hilti GB, SFS Intec, EJOT UK, Fischer Fixings, UK, Wurth UK, Hexstone, Harrison & Clough, TI Midwood, Apex Stainless Steel Fasteners, TFC and BAPP Industrial Supplies.
Construction Market for Mechanical Fasteners
- Definition and Market Overview - overview of total UK market for metal fasteners and screw machine products and indications of the share of this overall market accounted for by mechanical fasteners in construction applications.
- The construction market for fasteners and fixings in this report is identified by applications including: Structural steelwork and concrete - including bridges, gantries and masts; Structural timber systems - timber frame, trussed rafters, engineered flooring; Pitched and flat roofing systems - tiles, decking, battens, membranes; Building envelope systems - steel roof & wall panels, roof & façade glazing systems, rainscreen cladding; Drywall and insulation boards; Floorcoverings - floorboards, carpeting etc; Heating, plumbing and electrical - wiring accessories, cable management products, sanitaryware.
- Recent market growth and forecasts - market size by value, growth levels 2010-2014 and forecasts 2015-2019.
- Product mix overview - product mix by value between screws, bolts, non-threaded fasteners etc.
- Key drivers /factors - housing and non-domestic construction output, imports, skills shortages, trends in pre-fabrication - PODs, volumetric construction, panellised systems, pre-cast concrete cross-wall systems, pre-cast foundations etc.
Supply Chain Analysis
- Overview of distribution chain - estimates of market mix between specialist fasteners wholesalers, other distributors, direct sales to OEMs and fabricators etc.
- Review of key manufacturers, foreign owned subsidiaries, etc.
- Review of key elements of the supply chain including specialist fastener wholesalers, other distributors and merchants active in the construction market e.g. builders' merchants, electrical wholesalers, interior products distributors and DIY stores and wholesalers.
- Direct supply is a key element of this market with manufacturers / suppliers selling direct to specialist contractors or fabricators for structural steelwork, bridges, masts, steel and aluminium modular building systems, cladding system, commercial glazing systems, drywall system, flat roofing systems, low voltage electrical equipment, structural timber systems etc.
- Growth of multi-channel distributors such as Screwfix etc.
- Overview and identification of key applications - includes and assessment of usage for particular types of fasteners for specific applications as follows:
- Structural steel - market sizes for framework components, bridges and lattice masts 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment of particular types of fastener and uses.
- Roofing - market sizes for flat & tiled roofing 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment of particular types of fastener and uses.
- Building envelopes - market sizes for steel cladding products, façade glazing 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment of particular types of fastener and uses.
- Structural timber - market sizes for timber frame systems 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment particular types of fastener and uses.
- Interior finishing - market sizes for drywall systems, wiring accessories and sanitaryware 2010-2014. Key trends in output. Assessment particular types of fastener and uses.
This report attempts to quantify by value, the construction market for mechanical fasteners. Within our definition the construction market includes new build in residential and non-residential applications, civil engineering works - e.g. bridges, tunnels - and RMI (including DIY). Mechanical fasteners are broadly split between threaded products (screws, nuts and bolts) and non-threaded, e.g. nails, tacks and staples. In the UK it is estimated that by value, construction accounts for some 15 -18% of mechanical fastener demand. However, the size of the sector may vary depending on the definition.
The market is mature with the result that annual growth rates are typically quite low. The other main factor keeping rates down is that the vast majority of standard products, used on building and RMI works are made up of low-cost imports. The market for mechanical fasteners in construction applications has grown by an estimated 5% during 2014, higher than in previous years. Underpinning growth has been improvements in housebuilding and other construction output and also some increases in the global prices for commodities such as steel.
Specific areas of growth in demand for mechanical fasteners have been infrastructure works, especially tunnels and bridges /gantries and in particular the Thameslink and Crossrail programmes, external wall insulation on social housing RMI projects, curtain wall and rainscreen cladding on medium-high rise office developments and steel building envelope systems on warehousing developments, driven by the growth in online retailing.
Conditions for mechanical fasteners are expected to continue to improve in 2015 and with the continuation of the Crossrail project and the planned HS2 programme, demand for added-value high tensile fasteners should remain strong. Other likely areas of demand growth include housebuilding, online distribution warehousing, utilities improvement programmes, medium-high rise office new build and the leisure sector. However, recovery is likely to be slow, limited by public sector spending cuts and dependent on growth in orders across the construction industry, and growth from 2016 onwards is likely to be more modest at 3-4% per annum.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY 8
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION AND INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING AND CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 16
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 16
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 17
- 4. CONSTRUCTION MARKET FOR MECHANICAL FASTENERS AND FIXINGS 18
- 4.1 DEFINITION 18
- 4.2 MARKET TRENDS 19
- 4.3 OVERALL PRODUCT MIX 21
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 23
- 4.4.1 Construction Output Trends 23
- 4.4.2 Imports 29
- 4.4.3 Prefabrication 31
- 5. SUPPLY CHAIN 34
- 5.1 DISTRIBUTION OVERVIEW 34
- 5.2 MANUFACTURERS (INCLUDING OVERSEAS MANUFACTURERS' UK SALES OFFICES) 37
- 5.3 DIRECT SUPPLY 42
- 5.4 WHOLESALERS /DISTRIBUTORS 43
- 5.5 MERCHANTS 48
- 5.5.1 Definition 48
- 5.5.2 General Builders and Plumbers' Merchants 48
- 5.5.3 Multi-Channel Distributors 50
- 5.5.4 Electrical Wholesalers 50
- 5.5.5 Specialist Interior and Other Distributors 51
- 5.5.6 DIY 52
- 5.5.7 Timber Merchants 53
- 5.5.8 Roofing Merchants 53
- 6. PRODUCTS BY MAIN APPLICATIONS 54
- 6.1 APPLICATIONS OVERVIEW 54
- 6.2 STRUCTURAL STEEL /IRON AND CONCRETE 54
- 6.2.1 Structural Frameworks 54
- 6.3 FLAT AND TILED ROOFING 58
- 6.3.1 Pitched Roofing 58
- 6.3.2 Flat Roofing 59
- 6.4 BUILDING ENVELOPE 61
- 6.4.1 Steel Cladding and Roofing Systems 61
- 6.4.2 Façade Glazing 63
- 6.4.3 External Wall Insulation Systems 65
- 6.4.4 Rainscreen Cladding 67
- 6.5 STRUCTURAL TIMBER PRODUCTS 68
- 6.6 INTERIOR FINISHING 71
- 6.6.1 Drywall Systems (including Insulation Boards) 71
- 6.7 ELECTRICITY, HEATING AND PLUMBING 72
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 UK CONSTRUCTION MARKET FOR MECHANICAL FASTENERS (£M MSP) 2010-2019 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 13
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 14
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 16
- TABLE 6 UK CONSTRUCTION MARKET FOR MECHANICAL FASTENERS (£M MSP) 2010-2019 20
- CHART 7 UK CONSTRUCTION MARKET FOR MECHANICAL FASTENERS ESTIMATED PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 22
- TABLE 8 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI) GREAT BRITAIN BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2010 - 2019 23
- CHART 9 GB HOUSING STARTS AND COMPLETIONS BY VOLUME (DWELLINGS) 2007 - 2019 25
- TABLE 10 PUBLIC SECTOR NEW WORK OUTPUT AND FORECASTS BY KEY END USE SECTOR - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2011-2019. 26
- TABLE 11 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT AND FORECAST BY END USE SECTOR - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2011-2019. 27
- TABLE 12 TOTAL UK PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF STEEL & STAINLESS STEEL FASTENERS BY TONNAGE 2008 - 2013 30
- TABLE 13 TOTAL UK IMPORT PENETRATION LEVELS FOR STEEL AND STAINLESS STEEL FASTENERS 2008 - 2013 30
- CHART 14 UK IMPORT MARKET FOR INDUSTRIAL FASTENERS - SHARES BY VALUE AMONG THE 9 LARGEST SUPPLY COUNTRIES 31
- CHART 15 OVERVIEW OF THE SUPPLY CHAIN FOR FASTENING AND FIXING PRODUCTS 35
- CHART 16 ESTIMATED % DISTRIBUTION MIX (£M MSP) FOR MECHANICAL FASTENERS USED IN CONSTRUCTION 2014 36
- TABLE 17 LEADING BUILDERS MERCHANTS GROUPS 49
- TABLE 18 UK MARKET FOR STRUCTURAL STEEL PRODUCTS (TONNES) 2010 -2014 55
- TABLE 19 UK MARKET FOR PITCHED ROOF COVERINGS (MILLION M2 ) 2010 - 2014 58
- TABLE 20 UK MARKET FOR FLAT ROOFING BY AREA OF WATERPROOFING INSTALLED 2010-2019 60
- TABLE 21 UK MARKET FOR STEEL SHEET PRODUCTS (E.G. PROFILED PANELS, COMPOSITE PANELS, DUCTWORK) (TONNES) 2010 -2014 61
- TABLE 22 UK MARKET FOR FAÇADE GLAZING (M²) 2010 -2019 64
- TABLE 23 UK MARKET FOR EWI SYSTEMS (M2) 2010 -2019 66
- TABLE 24 GB TIMBER FRAME HOUSING OUTPUT (UNITS) 2010 -2019 69
- TABLE 25 UK DRYWALL MARKET (M2) 2010-2019 71
- TABLE 26 UK WIRING ACCESSORIES MARKET (£M MSP) 2010 TO 2019 73
- TABLE 27 UK SANITARYWARE MARKET (£M MSP) 2010-2019 74
The 'Mechanical Fasteners in Construction Market Report - UK 2016-2020 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.