Office and Home Office Furniture Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis
Published: 10/07/2015 / Number of Pages: 91 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have published the 2nd edition of the report 'Office and Home Office Furniture Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis'. This report combines the Office and Home Office market reports, previously published separately, and incorporates original research. The report assesses the current situation and presents forecasts of performance for the office and home office furniture market, covering desking, seating, storage and other furniture, through to 2019.
Key areas covered:
- Desking - executive, system and economy.
- Seating - adjustable and non-adjustable.
- Storage - shelving, bookcases, cupboards, filing cabinets, personal, shared, archive.
- Other - screens and computer trolleys etc.
Key areas of insight include:
- Office construction levels and likely impact on the office furniture market.
- Increasing impact of imports on the UK market.
- The changing nature and impact of the SOHO market, growth of alternative distribution channels.
- Key suppliers increasing market share despite low market growth.
Some of the companies included:
Advantia Business Solutions, Ahrend, Bene, Bisley Office Equipment, Clarke Rendall Business Furniture, Connection Seating, DAMS Furniture, EFG Office Furniture, Elite Office Furniture (UK), Flexiform Business Furniture, Frem Group, G.G.I. Office Furniture (UK), Godfrey Syrett, Gresham Office Furniture, Hammond Furniture, Haworth Inc, Herman Miller, Imperial Office Furniture, Integra Office Solutions, KI (UK), Kinnarps (UK), Knoll International, Lee & Plumpton, Mobili Office, Monarch Acoustics, Nemo, Neville Johnson, Office Club, Orangebox, Pledge Office Chairs Rackline, SBFI, Sedus Stoll, Senator International, Sharps Bedrooms, Silverline Office Equipment, Staples UK Retail, Staverton (UK), Steelcase, Superstat, Sven Christiansen, Techo UK, Teknion UK, The Office Friendly Dealer Association, Triumph Furniture, Tvilum Aps, Verco Office Furniture, Viking, Vitra, XPD.
Office and Home Office Furniture Market
- Total office and home office furniture market - analysis of size by value, current situation, historical trends, forecasts, reasons for changes and background influences.
- Future prospects of the market to 2019.
- Imports and Exports - trade balance, major countries supplying imports.
- Key influences on the development of office and home office furniture - technology, call centres, the SOHO market, new working practices and environmental considerations.
- The office construction market - analysis by size, public/private sector mix, historical trends and future prospects, RMI and its influence on market trends.
- Major product groups within the office and home office furniture market, share of the market.
- Desking market - analysis by size, historical trends with forecasts to 2019. Trends in functionality and design, other desking trends including pedestals, impact of changing working practices and technological developments, future prospects, greater market fragmentation.
- Seating market - analysis by size, historical trends, forecasts to 2019. Mix of seating market by type i.e. adjustable/non-adjustable, reasons for growth of adjustable, influence of changing regulations, new product features, material usage, different types of seating, innovations.
- Storage market - size by value with historical trends and forecasts to 2019. Mix of storage units by material and mix by type i.e. shelving/cabinet/cupboards.
- Other office furniture e.g. mobile computer trolleys, partitioning/screening, breakout furniture.
Review of the Home Office Furniture Market
- Home office furniture market - analysis of size by value, current situation, historical trends, forecasts, reasons for changes and background influences.
- Future prospects of the market to 2019.
- Product mix and trends - mix of products within the home office furniture sector. .
- Key suppliers in the home office furniture sector.
Supply and Distribution
- Major suppliers, market shares, product and market positioning.
- Key company information for major companies. Changes in market structures.
- Other suppliers involved in desking & tables, seating, storage & partitioning.
- Major channels of distribution - shares by type of channel, areas of growth and decline, future trends and opportunities.
- Key outlets involved in the major channels of distribution.
- Prospects for the Office and Home Office Furniture market - major factors influencing short and longer term prospects.
- Developments in the major product and market sectors.
- Supplier and distribution developments.
The UK office and home office furniture market has recovered from the impacts of the financial crisis and showed modest value growth in both 2012 and 2013, followed by stronger growth in 2014, although in volume terms the market as a whole has continued to decline during much of that period.
The office and home office furniture market had been under pressure for some years, adversely affected by a poor office construction sector and high levels of commercial available office space, while the turmoil in global financial markets had a dramatic negative affect. However, current market conditions are looking more positive, supported by strong demand in London and the South East and the SOHO sector. The overall market remains highly competitive with surplus supply capacity remaining, with imports rising in 2014, after being fairly static for several years.
Nevertheless, among UK manufacturers, profitability has remained poor. The office furniture market remains fiercely competitive, with a large number of suppliers still operating in the market and there is also still an excess of production capacity in the industry, despite some well-known companies having ceased to trade, and this has resulted in suppliers and dealers having to cut prices further to maintain share. Imports are a significant factor in the market and are estimated to account for around 40% of the market. The most significant change in recent years has been the rise of China to become the major source for office furniture imports, with imports of swivel seating from that source reaching almost £51m alone in 2014 (£44m in 2013).
In the medium to long term the UK office furniture market is expected to show steady growth, with annual growth rates of 3-4% from 2015 onwards. Demand for smaller desks will continue, reflecting technological developments and changing work practices and additionally, some value will be added through the introduction of more accessories and a greater level of integration with other office products. Whilst technological developments, including better cable management and the increased use of wireless technologies around the office, are likely to stimulate demand in some sectors in the longer term, they are unlikely to affect demand significantly in the shorter term.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 18
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 19
- 4. OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE - MARKET SIZE AND STRUCTURE 20
- 4.1 DEFINITIONS 20
- 4.2 MARKET TRENDS 20
- 4.2.1 Overall Market Size and Background 20
- 4.2.2 Current Trends 23
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects 24
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 25
- 4.3.1 Construction Contractors' Output - Non-Domestic 26
- 4.3.2 Contractors' Output - Commercial Sector 27
- 4.3.3 Technological Influences and Working Practices 28
- 4.3.4 Environmental Considerations 31
- 4.4 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 32
- 4.4.1 Overall Imports and Exports 32
- 4.4.2 Imports by Country 33
- 5. OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE BY PRODUCT 35
- 5.1 PRODUCT MIX 35
- 5.2 DESKING 36
- 5.2.1 Market Size and Trends 36
- 5.2.2 End Use Applications 38
- 5.2.3 Organisation Type and Size 39
- 5.2.4 Desk Design, Size and Shape 40
- 5.3 SEATING 42
- 5.3.1 Seating Definition 42
- 5.3.2 Market Size 42
- 5.3.3 Trends 44
- 5.4 STORAGE 46
- 5.4.1 Storage Definition 46
- 5.4.2 Storage Market Size 46
- 5.4.3 Storage Trends 47
- 5.5 OTHER FURNITURE 51
- 5.5.1 Market Size and Trends 51
- 5.5.2 Partitioning / Screening 52
- 5.5.3 Breakout Furniture 53
- 5.5.4 Computer Trolleys 54
- 6. THE HOME OFFICE MARKET 55
- 6.1. DEFINITION OF HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 55
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE AND GROWTH 57
- 6.2.1 Current Situation 58
- 6.2.2 Growth Prospects 58
- 6.3 HOME OFFICE FURNITURE PRODUCT TYPES 61
- 6.4 HOME OFFICE FURNITURE PRODUCT MIX 63
- 6.4.1 Home Office Desking 64
- 6.4.2 Home Office Seating 65
- 6.4.3 Home Office Storage 65
- 6.5 PRODUCT TRENDS 66
- 6.6 HOME OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 66
- 7. SUPPLIERS - OFFICE FURNITURE 68
- 7.1 GENERAL 68
- 7.2 COMPANIES 70
- 7.2.1 Leading Suppliers 70
- 7.2.2 Other Office Furniture Suppliers 74
- 7.2.3 Others 78
- 8. DISTRIBUTION - OFFICE & HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 81
- 8.1 OVERALL STRUCTURE 81
- 8.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 84
- 8.2.1 Dealers 84
- 8.2.2 Buying Groups 86
- 8.2.3 Direct 87
- 8.2.4 Mail Order/ Superstores/ Retail/ Internet 88
- Tables & Charts
- CHART 1 THE UK OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2009-2019 (£M MSP) 8
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2012-2015 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2019 15
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2019 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2009-2015 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- TABLE 6 UK MARKET FOR OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 2009-2014 (£M MSP) 21
- TABLE 7 OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET FORECASTS TO 2019 (£M MSP) 24
- TABLE 8 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2010-2019 NEW WORK AND RMI (NON HOUSING) GREAT BRITAIN - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 26
- TABLE 9 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2010-2019 SECTOR FORECASTS (NON HOUSING) GREAT BRITAIN - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 27
- TABLE 10 UK IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE 2010-2014 (£M) 32
- TABLE 11 UK IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE BY PRODUCT 2010-2014 (£M) 33
- TABLE 12 IMPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE BY COUNTRY (£M) 2012-2014 34
- TABLE 13 MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2003 AND 2014 (£M AT MSP) 35
- TABLE 14 THE UK MARKET FOR DESKING 2010-2019 (£M AT MSP) 37
- TABLE 15 THE UK MARKET FOR OFFICE SEATING 2010-2019 (£M AT MSP) 43
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR ADJUSTABLE SEATING (1995 AND 2014 - % BY VALUE) 44
- TABLE 17 UK MARKET FOR OFFICE STORAGE 2010-2019 (£M AT MSP) 47
- CHART 18 STORAGE MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE - 1993-2014 49
- CHART 19 UK MARKET FOR STORAGE BY TYPE - % MIX BY VALUE 2014 51
- TABLE 20 THE UK MARKET FOR OTHER OFFICE FURNITURE 2010-2019 (£M AT MSP) 52
- TABLE 21 UK MARKET FOR HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 2009 - 2014 (£M MSP) 57
- CHART 22 UK HOME OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2009-2019 (£ M MSP) 59
- TABLE 23 HOMEWORKING TRENDS 1997-2014 - NUMBER AND % OF POPULATION 61
- CHART 24 VALUE MIX OF FLAT PACK/READY ASSEMBLED HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 2014 62
- TABLE 25 PRODUCT MIX UK HOME OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2014 (£M MSP) 63
- CHART 26 MIX OF HOME OFFICE FURNITURE BY PRODUCT TYPE 2014 BY VALUE 64
- TABLE 27 MARKET SHARE OF LEADING OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS % BY VALUE 2014 69
- CHART 28 SHARE OF MARKET HELD BY 6 LEADING OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS (%) 70
- CHART 29 OFFICE FURNITURE - DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 81
- CHART 30 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE - OFFICE FURNITURE - 2014 83
The 'Office and Home Office Furniture Market Report - UK 2015-2019 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.