Office and Home Office Furniture Market Report – UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 12/06/2017 / Number of Pages: 73 / Price: £845.00
Introduction and Overview
The 3rd edition of the 'Office and Home Office Furniture Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' combines the Office and Home Office markets and incorporates original research. It is a comprehensive and up-to-date review of these sectors, featuring an assessment of the office construction sector and the potential future impact on the office furniture market during the EU exit negotiation phase.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Review of the recent and prospective performance of the market.
- Office furniture distribution process.
- Trends within product sectors.
- The home office furniture market, changing working practices, changing home configurations and the impact on the market.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Office construction levels and likely impact on the office furniture market.
- Increasing impact of imports on the UK market.
- Strong growth in the fit-out sector in the last few years.
- The changing nature and impact of the SOHO market, growth of alternative distribution channels.
- Key suppliers increasing market share with solid market growth.
- Detailed market data and insight on the office and home office furniture market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the Companies included:
Addvance Business Solutions, Advantia Business Solutions, Ahrend Holdings, Alpha Marketing UK, Alpha Office Interiors (MK), Andrews Office Furniture, Arensen, Axis Storage and Interiors Solutions, Bene, Bisley Office Equipment, Boss Design, Broadstock Office Furniture, Bullough, Calibre Office Furniture & Interiors, Connection Seating, Dams Furniture, D & G Office Interiors, Dale Office Interiors, EFG Office Furniture, Elite Office Furniture (UK), EVO Business Supplies, Flexiform Business Furniture, G.G.I. Office Furniture (UK), Godfrey-Syrett, Gresham Office Furniture, Hammonds, Herman Miller, Hunts Office Furniture and Interiors, IKEA, Imperial Office Furniture, Insightful Environments UK, Integra Business Solutions, John Lewis, Kinnarps (UK), KI (UK), Knoll International, Mobili Office, MJF Interiors, Nemo (1991), Office, Office Furniture Dealers, Orangebox, Pledge Office Chairs, Ryman, Senator International, Sharps, Space Efficient Interiors, Steelcase, Style Office Systems, The Spicers-Officeteam Group, Superstat, Techo UK, Triumph Furniture, Verco Office Furniture, Vitra, Sven Christiansen, Woodstock Leabank Office Furniture.
The Office and Home Office Furniture Market
- Total office and home office furniture market - analysis of size by value, current situation, historical trends, forecasts, reasons for changes and background influences.
- Market prospects to 2021.
- Imports and exports - trade balance, major countries supplying imports.
- The office construction market - analysis by size, public/private sector mix, historical trends and future prospects, RMI and its influence on market trends.
- Key influences on the development of office and home office furniture - technology call centres, the SOHO market, new working practices and environmental considerations.
- Major product groups within the office and home office furniture market, share of the market.
- Desking market - analysis by size, historical trends with forecasts to 2021. Trends in functionality and design, other desking trends including pedestals, impact of changing working practices and technological developments, future prospects, greater market fragmentation.
- Seating market - analysis by size, historical trends, forecasts to 2021. Mix of seating market by type i.e. adjustable/non-adjustable, reasons for growth of adjustable, influence of changing regulations, new product features, material usage, different types of seating, innovations.
- Storage market - size by value with historical trends and forecasts to 2021. Mix of storage units by material and mix by type i.e. shelving/cabinet/cupboards. Shifts to technology storage, impact on the market etc.
- Other office furniture e.g. mobile computer trolleys, partitioning/screening, breakout furniture.
Supply Chain - Suppliers, Distributors, Dealers
- Major suppliers, market shares, product and market positioning.
- Key company information for major companies. Changes in market structures.
- Other suppliers involved in desking & tables, seating, storage & partitioning.
- Major channels of distribution - shares by type of channel, areas of growth and decline, future trends and opportunities.
- Key outlets involved in the major channels of distribution.
- Prospects for the office and home office furniture market through to 2021- major factors influencing short and longer term prospects.
- Developments in the major product and market sectors.
- Supplier and distribution developments.
The UK office and home office furniture market has shown modest value growth in both 2012 and 2013, followed with stronger growth in the following years. The market is estimated to have grown by 4% in 2016, with similar growth forecast for 2017, though market value remains below the peak year of 2001. While the excess production capacity in the industry has mostly been absorbed, the market remains very competitive for manufacturers, dealers and other suppliers.
Business confidence has improved steadily as the economy has grown. The commercial new build sector is relatively buoyant, with new office construction increasing, albeit remaining well below the levels reached in the past. Whilst technological developments, including better cable management and the increased use of wireless technologies around the office, are likely to stimulate demand in some sectors in the longer term, they are unlikely to affect demand significantly in the shorter term.
The UK office furniture market has split into two broad categories, the corporate sector serviced by UK and overseas branded suppliers, either directly to end users or via fit-out specialists and furniture dealers and the SOHO sector supplied mainly from China and other low cost producing countries via mail order, the Internet and retail outlets. A large proportion of home office furniture is supplied in flat pack form by specialist manufacturers and sold through outlets such as IKEA, Argos, Staples, and Tesco Direct.
In the medium term the UK office furniture market is expected to show slowing growth until 2019, with annual growth rates of 3-4% from 2020 onwards. It is likely that ongoing Brexit negotiations during that period will have a significant but unknown influence on the market. Technology will continue to influence the market, with more companies adopting wireless, network stations and VoIP systems and procedures.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY & MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE - MARKET SIZE AND STRUCTURE 20
- 4.1 DEFINITIONS 20
- 4.2 MARKET TRENDS 20
- 4.2.1 Market Size and Background 20
- 4.2.2 Current Trends 21
- 4.2.3 Market Prospects 23
- 4.3 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 24
- 4.3.1 Construction Contractors' Output - New Work and RMI 24
- 4.3.2 Contractors' Output - Commercial Sector 26
- 4.3.3 Technological Influences and Working Practices 27
- 4.3.4 Environmental Considerations 29
- 4.4 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 29
- 4.4.1 Overall Imports and Exports 29
- 5. OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE BY PRODUCT 31
- 5.1 PRODUCT MIX 31
- 5.2 DESKING 32
- 5.2.1 Market Size and Trends 32
- 5.2.2 End Use Applications 33
- 5.2.3 Organisation Type and Size 34
- 5.2.4 Desk Design, Size and Shape 34
- 5.3 SEATING 36
- 5.3.1 Seating Definition 36
- 5.3.2 Market Size 37
- 5.3.3 Trends 38
- 5.4 STORAGE 39
- 5.4.1 Storage Definition 39
- 5.4.2 Storage Market Size 40
- 5.4.3 Storage Trends 40
- 5.5 OTHER FURNITURE 44
- 5.5.1 Market Size and Trends 44
- 5.5.2 Partitioning / Screening 44
- 5.5.3 Breakout Furniture 45
- 5.5.4 Computer Trolleys 46
- 6. THE HOME OFFICE MARKET 47
- 6.1. DEFINITION OF HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 47
- 6.2 MARKET SIZE AND GROWTH 49
- 6.2.1 Current Situation 50
- 6.2.2 Market Prospects 50
- 6.3 HOME OFFICE FURNITURE PRODUCT TYPES 52
- 6.4 HOME OFFICE FURNITURE PRODUCT MIX 53
- 6.4.1 Home Office Desking 54
- 6.4.2 Home Office Seating 54
- 6.4.3 Home Office Storage 55
- 6.5 PRODUCT TRENDS 55
- 6.6 HOME OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 56
- 7. OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 57
- 7.1 GENERAL 57
- 8. DISTRIBUTION - OFFICE & HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 65
- 8.1 OVERALL STRUCTURE 65
- 8.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 67
- 8.2.1 Dealers 67
- 8.2.2 Buying Groups 69
- 8.2.3 Direct 70
- 8.2.4 Mail Order/ Online 70
- 8.2.5 Retail Outlets 72
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: THE UK OFFICE AND HOME OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2012-2021 (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 14
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR OFFICE FURNITURE 2012-2021 (£M MSP) 20
- CHART 7: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK & RMI - CURRENT PRICES (£BN) 2012 -2021 24
- CHART 8: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 2016 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE GB 25
- TABLE 9: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT OFFICES, RETAIL AND INDUSTRIAL GB 2012-2021 - BY VALUE (£BN) 26
- TABLE 10: UK IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE 2014-2016 (£M) 30
- TABLE 11: UK IMPORTS & EXPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE BY PRODUCT 2014-2016 (£M) 30
- TABLE 12: MIX OF PRODUCTS WITHIN THE UK OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2010, 2016 AND 2021 (£M AT MSP) 31
- TABLE 13: THE UK MARKET FOR DESKING 2012-2021 (£M AT MSP) 32
- TABLE 14: THE UK MARKET FOR OFFICE SEATING 2012-2021 (£M AT MSP) 37
- CHART 15: UK MARKET FOR ADJUSTABLE SEATING 2005 AND 2021 - % BY VALUE 38
- TABLE 16: UK MARKET FOR OFFICE STORAGE 2012-2021 (£M AT MSP) 40
- CHART 17: STORAGE MATERIAL MIX BY VALUE - 1993-2016 42
- CHART 18: UK MARKET FOR STORAGE BY TYPE - % MIX BY VALUE 2016 43
- TABLE 19: THE UK MARKET FOR OTHER OFFICE FURNITURE 2012-2021 (£M AT MSP) 44
- TABLE 20: UK MARKET FOR HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 2012 - 2021 (£M MSP) 49
- CHART 21: UK HOME OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2012-2019 (£ M MSP) 50
- TABLE 22: HOMEWORKING TRENDS 1997-2016 - NUMBER AND % OF POPULATION 52
- CHART 23: VALUE MIX OF FLAT PACK/READY ASSEMBLED HOME OFFICE FURNITURE 2016 52
- TABLE 24: PRODUCT MIX UK HOME OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 2016 (£M MSP) 53
- TABLE 25: MARKET SHARE OF LEADING OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 2016 % BY VALUE 57
- CHART 26: SHARE OF MARKET HELD BY 6 LEADING OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS (%) 1999-2016 58
- CHART 27: OFFICE FURNITURE - DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 65
- CHART 28: DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE - OFFICE FURNITURE 2016 (%) 66
The 'Office and Home Office Furniture Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £845+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.