Office Furniture Dealers Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis
Published: 15/08/2014 / Number of Pages: 72 / Price: £745.00
Introduction and Overview
AMA Research have just published the sixth edition of the report 'Office Furniture Dealers Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis'. This report incorporates original research and provides an up-to-date, practical review of the office furniture dealer channel, analysing market size, structure, recent and future trends, as well as the dealer buying process.
Key areas covered include:
- Review of the Dealer Channel.
- Dealer Buying Process.
- Sourcing Criteria for Dealers.
- The Office Furniture Market.
The dealer channel still represents the major route for distribution of office furniture, although competition has increased steadily in recent years, both from manufacturers who deal directly with end users and from the growth of superstores, mail order companies, internet websites and domestic furniture retailers targeting the SOHO sector of the market. Dealers have increasingly sought to extend their range of services by offering fit-out and refurbishment facilities, in order to compete with the fit-out divisions of major commercial property construction companies.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Performance of the dealer channel in recent years.
- Key criteria influencing selection of office furniture suppliers.
- Key influencers on decision making process in supplier selection.
- Database of major dealers - including buyer's name, email etc.
Companies profiled include:
Ahrend Ltd, Andrews Office Furniture, Antocks Lairn, Balfour Beatty Group, Bene PLC, Bilfinger Europa Facility Management, Bisley Office Equipment Ltd, Boss Design, Carleton Furniture Group Ltd, Claremont Group Interiors Ltd, DAMS International Ltd, Dauphin HumanDesign UK Ltd, EFG Office Furniture Limited, GDB UK Ltd, Godfrey-Syrett, Gresham Office Furniture Ltd, Haworth Inc, Herman Miller Ltd, Interior Services Group plc, (ISG), IOR Group Ltd, KI Europe, Kinnarps (UK) Ltd, Knoll International, Maris Interiors LLP, Morgan Lovell plc, Morgan Sindall Group plc, OEP Furniture Group plc, Office2office plc, OfficeTeam Furniture, Ofquest Ltd, Oktra Ltd, Orangebox Ltd, Pledge Office Chairs Ltd, Sedus Stoll Ltd, Senator International Ltd, Staples UK Retail, Steelcase plc, Structure Tone South West, Sven Christiansen, TBS (South Wales) Ltd, Techo UK Ltd, Verco Office Furniture Ltd, Wagstaff Bros Ltd, Wates Interiors, Wilkhahn Ltd, Yes 2 Solutions.
- Review of the office furniture dealer channel - recent performance, size, trends and influencing factors.
- Forecasts of future size of the dealer channel to 2018 - factors affecting future performance.
- Profiles of leading office furniture dealers - background, financial information etc.
- Analysis of dealers' warehousing and showroom facilities - percentages, trends etc.
- Review of dealers' customer bases - major customer groups, percentages, trends etc.
- Review of dealers' sales and marketing methods - types, trends, manufacturer support.
Dealer Buying & Specification Process
- Analysis of sourcing of office furniture - major channels, supplier mix, number of suppliers, current trends etc.
- Review of buying groups - usage, trends and profiles of the leading organisations.
- Key influencers on the decision-making process for supplier selection.
- Review of information sources used when reviewing suppliers - and the key factors considered when making that decision.
- Analysis of supplier review periods among dealers.
- In depth review of key influencing factors on supplier selection - such as quality, product range, price, delivery lead times, marketing and technical support etc.
- Review of prices and discounts - current situation, trends etc.
Overall Furniture Market
- Overview of Office Furniture market - analysis of size by value, current situation, historical trends and forecasts to 2018. Factors currently affecting the market and reasons for recent lack of growth.
- Review of international trade in office furniture - trends in imports and exports by product group.
- Review of distribution channels for office furniture - structure, distribution mix etc.
- Overview of office furniture manufacturers - market position, analysis of activities, financial information etc.
Also Available - Office Furniture Dealers Database
- Over 650 companies with address and telephone number.
- Over 470 buyer / general manager contact names.
- Over 500 e-mail addresses.
- Number of branches indicated.
- Indicates activity in new / used sectors
- Supplied by e-mail, list purchase not rental, no limitations on usage.
The overall UK office furniture market has been through a sustained difficult trading period, with the market declining substantially in 2009/10. However, it has recovered somewhat since then, with sales reaching an estimated £665m in 2013.
There is still a surplus of supply capacity over demand, despite some well-known companies having ceased to trade, and this has resulted in suppliers having to cut prices further to maintain share.
The two main distribution channels for office furniture are via the dealer network, accounting for 44% of the market, or directly to end users, with around a quarter of the market. Retail furnishing groups and miscellaneous outlets account for 20% of the market, whilst superstores and mail order sales account for the remaining 11%.
The office furniture dealers' sector is extremely fragmented with an estimated 2,000 to 2,100 branches in the UK, largely single branch enterprises. Dealers source their furniture mainly from UK based manufacturers, although they have increasingly used importers to supplement their offering in recent years.
The majority of dealers source their products from individual manufacturers and this enables them to offer a comprehensive range of products at different price points, however, some dealers have close links with individual suppliers, usually with the larger companies. Having good quality products with enhanced features is the most important factor when dealers are looking for a supplier and this is particularly true of the premium sector, where it is important to differentiate from other distribution channels in order to avoid direct price comparison.
The supply chain in the market is likely to experience some changes, with further growth in the SOHO market benefiting the less traditional channels of supply, such as multiple furnishing retailers, superstores, mail order and the Internet in the short to medium term future. Competition is expected to be relatively intense due to the furniture multiples offering a wide range of flat pack products at lower prices. Growth in this sector may entice new entrants into the market, although this is more likely to be on the manufacturing side, rather than in the retail sector.
The dealers' market is expected to show modest growth in the next few years, increasing from an estimated £293m in 2013 to £318m in 2018. Although the share of the market held by dealers is forecast to decline to 42% by the end of the period, growth in the overall market should more than offset that decline.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 12
- 3.1 GDP 12
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 15
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 18
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. OFFICE FURNITURE DEALER MARKET & KEY INFLUENCES 20
- 4.1 DEFINITIONS 20
- 4.2 OFFICE FURNITURE DEALER - MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 20
- 4.2.1 Market Size & Background 20
- 4.2.2 Current Trends 23
- 4.2.3 Future Prospects 23
- 4.3 OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET SIZE AND BACKGROUND 25
- 4.3.1 Market Size & Background 25
- 4.3.2 Manufacturers and Suppliers 28
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 37
- 4.4.1 Construction Contractors' Output - New Work and RMI 37
- 4.4.2 Contractors' Output - Commercial Sector 40
- 4.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE - OVERALL IMPORTS AND EXPORTS 41
- 5. OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLY CHAIN / DISTRIBUTION 43
- 5.1 OVERALL DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 43
- 5.2 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS 46
- 5.2.1 Dealers 46
- 5.2.2 Buying Groups 47
- 5.2.3 Direct 49
- 5.2.4 Mail Order/Superstores/Retail 49
- 6. OFFICE FURNITURE DEALERS 54
- 6.1 MAJOR OFFICE FURNITURE DEALERS 54
- 6.2 MAJOR COMMERCIAL REFURBISHMENT AND FIT-OUT COMPANIES 56
- 6.3 GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS 58
- 7. THE SOURCING PROCESS 59
- 7.1 OVERALL VIEW 59
- 7.2 SOURCE OF SUPPLIES 60
- 7.3 BUYING PROCESS 62
- 7.4 FACTORS INFLUENCING CHOICE OF SUPPLIER 64
- 7.5 MAJOR CUSTOMER GROUPS 69
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1 UK OFFICE FURNITURE DEALERS MARKET SIZE 2008-2018 (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2 GDP DATA - 2011-2014 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1994-2018 14
- CHART 4 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1995-2018 16
- TABLE 5 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2008-2014 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 18
- CHART 6 DEALERS' SHARE OF THE UK OFFICE FURNITURE MARKET 1994 - 2013 (%) 21
- TABLE 7 UK OFFICE FURNITURE DEALERS MARKET SIZE 2008-2013 (£M MSP) 22
- TABLE 8 UK OFFICE FURNITURE DEALERS MARKET SIZE 2012-2018 (£M MSP) 24
- TABLE 9 UK MARKET FOR OFFICE FURNITURE 2008-2013 (£M MSP) 26
- TABLE 10 MARKET SHARE OF LEADING OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS 2013 % BY VALUE 29
- CHART 11 SHARE OF MARKET HELD BY 6 LEADING OFFICE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS (%) 30
- CHART 12 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK AND RMI QUARTERLY ANALYSIS 2011 TO 2014 - BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 38
- TABLE 13 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FORECASTS (NEW WORK AND RMI) GREAT BRITAIN 2009-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN) 39
- TABLE 14 NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT SECTOR FORECASTS GREAT BRITAIN 2009-2018 - BY VALUE (£BN) 40
- TABLE 15 UK IMPORTS AND EXPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE 2010-2013 (£M) 41
- TABLE 16 UK IMPORTS & EXPORTS OF OFFICE FURNITURE BY PRODUCT 2010-2013 (£M) 42
- CHART 17 OFFICE FURNITURE - DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE 43
- CHART 18 DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE BY VALUE - OFFICE FURNITURE 2013 (%) 45
- CHART 19 AVERAGE NUMBER OF CORE FURNITURE SUPPLIERS PER DEALER (%) 59
- CHART 20 PROPORTION OF DEALERS SOURCING FROM EACH TYPE OF SUPPLIER 60
- TABLE 21 PROPORTION OF TURNOVER GENERATED FROM EACH TYPE OF SUPPLIER 2003-2008-2013 (%) 61
- TABLE 22 KEY INFLUENCE ON CHOICE OF SUPPLIER 62
- TABLE 23 MAIN SOURCES OF INFORMATION USED WHEN SEEKING A SUPPLIER (%) 63
- TABLE 24 OVERALL RANKING OF FACTORS INFLUENCING DEALERS CHOICE OF SUPPLIER 64
- CHART 25 MAJOR MARKETING METHODS USED BY DEALERS (%) 71
The 'Office Furniture Dealers Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis' costs £745+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.