Paint, Wallcoverings and Woodcare Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 23/01/2018 / Number of Pages: 86 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 9th edition of the 'Paint, Wallcoverings and Woodcare Market Report - UK 2018-2022' covers analysis of the key developments and prospects in the paint, wallpaper and woodcare sectors, including market sizes, trends, key product mixes, supplier shares and distribution trends.
Key content covered in the report
- Overview of market - including performance 2012-17 and key influencing factors through to 2022.
- Product sector reviews, covering:
- Paint - emulsions, solvent/oil based paints etc.
- Wallcoverings - vinyl, finished wallpapers and whites.
- Woodcare - interior, exterior and garden products.
- Review of supply and distribution structures.
Areas of particular interest
- Market value for overall market and key product sectors, as well as medium term forecasts through to 2022.
- Review of key market influences and trends - trend towards 'GSI'; levels of domestic & non-domestic construction output - new work and RMI; design trends etc.
- Review of key product sectors and sub-sectors - growth / declining sectors.
- Supply and distribution - leading suppliers, market shares, distribution structure and key channels.
Some of the companies included:
AkzoNobel Decorative Coatings, Arthouse, Bedec, Colefax Group, Craig & Rose, Crown Paints, Dacrylate, Farrow & Ball, Fine Décor, Graham & Brown, Holden Décor, Jotun Paints, JW Ostendorf, Muraspec, Newmor, Palace Chemicals, PPG Architectural Coatings, Spencer Coatings, Steyport, Tor Coatings, Valspar, Valtti, Walker Greenbank
- Market overview for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare - definition, market background, key trends.
- Market size - analysis of market by value - trends up to 2017 and prospects up to 2022.
- Key market influences - housing completions, non-domestic sector, property transactions, GSI versus DIY, etc.
- Market prospects - impact of construction levels and RMI activities, house moves, home extensions, competition with competing products etc.
- Paint - sector performance from 2012-2017 with forecasts 2018-2022, key influencing factors, retail/trade mix, % mix by value between emulsions, solvent/oil based paints and 'others', product mix within emulsions, solvent/oil.
- Paint - % mix by end use sector including DIY, trade domestic and trade commercial, market characteristics and influencing trends, major suppliers, supply structure and forecasts.
- Wallcoverings - performance from 2012-2017 with forecasts 2018-2022, product mix for vinyls, finished wallpapers and whites, market characteristics; recent trends within the sector, key influencing factors, major suppliers, market prospects.
- Woodcare - market performance 2012-2017 with forecasts 2018-2022, review of key influencing factors, trade/retail product mix, product mix for interior, exterior and garden woodcare, leading suppliers and market prospects.
- Short term prospects 2018-19 and medium-term forecasts to 2022.
SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION
- Overview - major suppliers, product ranges, market shares.
- Analysis of leading suppliers within each product sector - share by product group, products/market positioning.
- Distribution structure for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare - market shares by major channels - home improvement multiples, trade centres, independents / specialists, builders merchants etc.
- Review of key channels - major players, channel shares, key trends. Trade and retail review.
- Prospects for overall paint, wallcoverings and woodcare - market size forecasts, factors influencing market development, trends in terms of product mix, innovation and development, supply and distribution, etc.
- Key influencing factors in market - economic factors, housing / non-domestic sector /RMI sectors, trends in garden, door & window, retail and trade sectors etc.
The market for paint, wallcoverings and woodcare products has experienced moderate growth since 2012. There was a significant upturn in the construction sector in 2014, stimulating demand for all products. The market continued to grow to 2015, underpinned by positive developments in the domestic sector in particular, but has since been relatively flat. Key market drivers of demand are the housing market, consumer confidence, levels of DIY & home improvements, interior design trends, non-residential construction activity, domestic conservatory market and outdoor products requiring painting and/or treating.
Paint and effects sector has grown by an estimated 8% from its low point in 2009, although has been relatively flat in recent years. Within this sector there has been a continued shift towards more water based paints, with acrylic eggshell for example representing a growth area. There has been an increase in demand for value added products such as durable, stain resistant and easy-to-clean products, as well as more specialist paints, including light reflecting, textured finishes, anti-bacterial, low odour, fast drying, anti-slip floor paint and insulating paint.
In the wallcoverings sector, people appear to be increasingly confident in using bold designs. Large designs, increased use of texture and digital prints are popular. Digital printing has enabled some revolutionary changes, with the availability of unlimited colour palettes and no restrictions on pattern size. The woodcare product sector has experienced growth since 2013, benefiting from a range of factors including the impact of climate conditions & the weather, growth in key sectors such as fences, sheds, furniture & conservatories, increasing popularity of garden paint and the growing housing sector.
Market prospects remain positive, although only modest levels of growth are forecast to 2022. Levels of residential RMI are forecast to increase, despite the economic uncertainty. Not only are people improving their home instead of moving, but the trend of carrying out improvements prior to placing properties on the market appears to be returning. The trend for 'get someone in' (rather than DIY) is expected to continue benefiting the market. Imports remain a feature of the market, with the EU accounting for the majority share of imports, although the UK is a net exporter of paints.
List of Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 7
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 7
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 7
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 9
- 2.1 SUMMARY 9
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 10
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT UPDATED 13
- 3.1 GDP 13
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 14
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 15
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 16
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 16
- 3.6 STERLING 17
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 17
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 18
- 4. OVERALL MARKET 19
- 4.1 DEFINITION 19
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 19
- 4.2.1 Market Size 19
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 22
- 4.3 PRODUCT MIX 24
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES 24
- 4.4.1 Housebuilding 24
- 4.4.2 House Moving & Extensions 26
- 4.4.3 Number and Type of Households 27
- 4.4.4 Conservatories, Windows and External Doors 28
- 4.4.5 Garden Furniture, Fencing, Decking and Sheds 30
- 4.4.6 Furniture & Flooring 31
- 4.4.7 Non-Residential Construction 33
- 4.5 INTERNATIONAL TRADE 35
- 4.5.1 Imports 36
- 4.5.2 Exports 36
- 5. PAINT MARKET 38
- 5.1 DEFINITION 38
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 38
- 5.2.1 Market Size 38
- 5.2.2 Market Prospects 41
- 5.3 END USERS 42
- 5.3.1 End-use mix 42
- 5.3.2 Trade Market 43
- 5.4 PRODUCTS 44
- 5.4.1 New Product Development 44
- 5.4.2 Retail Product Mix 45
- 5.4.3 Trade Product Mix 46
- 5.4.4 Emulsion 46
- 5.4.5 Solvent/Oil Based/Gloss Paints 48
- 5.4.6 'Other' Paint 49
- 5.5 COLOUR 50
- 5.6 PAINT EFFECTS 51
- 5.7 SUPPLIERS 52
- 5.7.1 Market Shares 52
- 5.7.2 Leading Brands 52
- 5.7.3 Key Suppliers 53
- 6. WALLCOVERINGS MARKET 57
- 6.1 DEFINITION 57
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 57
- 6.2.1 Market Size 57
- 6.2.2 Market Prospects 59
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX 60
- 6.3.1 Vinyls 61
- 6.3.2 Finished Wallpapers 61
- 6.3.3 Whites 61
- 6.4 END USE SECTORS 62
- 6.5 SUPPLIERS 63
- 6.5.1 Market Share 63
- 6.5.2 Key Suppliers 63
- 7. WOODCARE MARKET 67
- 7.1 DEFINITION 67
- 7.2 MARKET OVERVIEW 67
- 7.2.1 Market Size 67
- 7.2.2 Market Prospects 68
- 7.3 APPLICATION AREAS 69
- 7.3.1 Garden & Exterior Woodcare 70
- 7.3.2 Interior 71
- 7.4 PRODUCT MIX 72
- 7.5 SUPPLIERS 73
- 7.5.1 Market Shares 73
- 7.5.2 Key Suppliers 74
- 8. DISTRIBUTION 76
- 8.1 STRUCTURE 76
- 8.1.1 Trade/Commercial Sector 77
- 8.1.2 Retail 79
- 8.2 CHANNEL SHARES 81
- 8.3 KEY CHANNELS 81
- 8.3.1 Home Improvement Multiples 81
- 8.3.2 Trade Centres 83
- 8.3.3 Independents and Specialists 84
- 8.3.4 Department, Variety and Furnishing Stores 84
- 8.3.5 Others (Builders Merchants, Internet, Direct, Mail Order, etc) 85
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2012-2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 9
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 13
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 15
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 16
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 17
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2012-2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 20
- CHART 7: PRODUCT MIX (PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS & WOODCARE) 2017 - % BY VALUE 24
- CHART 8: HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS (GB) 2012 TO 2021 - BY VOLUME (000'S) 25
- TABLE 9: UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR ABOVE 2012-2021 26
- TABLE 10: NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDER DEVELOPMENTS GRANTED IN GREAT BRITAIN 2015-2018 27
- TABLE 11: ENGLAND DWELLING STOCK BY TENURE ('000S) 2012-2016 27
- TABLE 12: UK DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY, REPLACEMENT DOORS AND WINDOWS MARKET 2009 AND 2016 - BY VOLUME & PERCENTAGE 28
- TABLE 13: UK MARKETS FOR DOMESTIC DECKING, FENCING*, SHEDS & GARDEN FURNITURE 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M) ** 30
- CHART 14: UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR WOOD FLOORCOVERINGS 2012-2017 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 32
- TABLE 15: CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2012 TO 2016, WITH ESTIMATES FOR 2017 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES) 33
- CHART 16: NON-RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) NEW WORK BY SECTOR 2017 - % BY VALUE 34
- TABLE 17: INTERNATIONAL TRADE IN PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2012 TO 2017 - BY VALUE (£M) 35
- CHART 18: MAJOR IMPORT SOURCE COUNTRIES FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2016 - % BY VALUE 36
- TABLE 19: LEADING EXPORT DESTINATIONS FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE 2016 - % BY VALUE 37
- CHART 20: UK PAINT MARKET AND FORECASTS 2012-2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 39
- CHART 21: UK MARKET FOR PAINT MIX BY END USE SECTOR (DIY, TRADE DOMESTIC & TRADE COMMERCIAL) 2017 - % BY VALUE 42
- CHART 22: UK TRADE PAINT MARKET PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SECTOR MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 43
- CHART 23: UK RETAIL PRODUCT MIX FOR PAINT (EMULSIONS, GLOSS/SOLVENT AND OTHERS) 2011-2017 - % BY VALUE 45
- CHART 24: UK TRADE PRODUCT MIX FOR PAINT (EMULSIONS, GLOSS/SOLVENT AND OTHERS) 2017 - % BY VALUE 46
- CHART 25: UK MARKET FOR EMULSION PAINT (MATT, SILK, MID-SOFT SHEEN, OTHERS) PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 47
- CHART 26: UK MARKET FOR SOLVENT-BASED PAINT (FULL GLOSS, MATT, SATIN, EGGSHELL & OTHERS) PRODUCT MIX 2017 - % BY VALUE 49
- CHART 27: UK MARKET FOR PAINT MIX BY PAINT COLOURS (WHITE, NEARLY WHITE & COLOUR) 2017 - % BY VALUE 50
- TABLE 28: UK MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR PAINT SUPPLIERS - 2017 BY VALUE 52
- TABLE 29: LEADING PAINT SUPPLIERS AND BRANDS 2017 53
- TABLE 30: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR WALLCOVERINGS 2012 TO 2022 - BY VALUE (£M MSP) 57
- CHART 31: UK WALLCOVERINGS PRODUCT MIX (WHITES, VINYL, FINISHED WALLPAPER, ETC) 2017 - % BY VALUE 60
- CHART 32: UK WALLCOVERINGS MARKET MIX BY END USE APPLICATION (DIY, TRADE DOMESTIC, TRADE COMMERCIAL) 2017 - % BY VALUE 62
- TABLE 33: MARKET SHARES OF MAJOR UK WALLCOVERINGS SUPPLIERS BY VALUE 2017 63
- CHART 34: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR WOODCARE 2012-2022 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP) 67
- CHART 35: UK MARKET FOR WOODCARE END USE APPLICATION MIX 2017 (INTERIOR, EXTERIOR, GARDEN) - % BY VALUE 70
- CHART 36: UK RETAIL MARKET FOR WOODCARE PRODUCT MIX (STAINS, VARNISHES, DYES, PRESERVERS/GARDEN ETC) 2017 - % BY VALUE 72
- CHART 37: UK TRADE MARKET FOR WOODCARE PRODUCT MIX (STAINS, VARNISHES, PRESERVERS, ETC) 2017 - % BY VALUE 73
- TABLE 38: LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK WOODCARE MARKET 2017 74
- CHART 39: DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PAINT, WOODCARE AND WALLCOVERINGS - TRADE/COMMERCIAL SECTORS 78
- CHART 40: DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PAINT, WOODCARE AND WALLCOVERINGS - RETAIL SECTOR 80
- TABLE 41: UK MARKET FOR PAINT, WALLCOVERINGS AND WOODCARE DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE 2017 - % BY VALUE 81
The 'Paint, Wallcoverings and Woodcare Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .