Panel Builders Market Report – UK 2017-2021 Analysis
Published: 24/04/2017 / Number of Pages: 60 / Price: £795.00
Introduction and Overview
The 11th edition of the 'Panel Builders Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' incorporates original input and primary market research, the report represents an up to date and informed review of the market and is excellent value for money. Trends in the market are influenced by many issues, ranging from the level of electricity consumption and manufacturing output/investment to general construction activity levels. These issues are assessed alongside their implications for the UK panel builders and component markets.
Key issues covered in the report include:
- Review of UK market size and trends.
- Analysis of supply structure - key suppliers, component suppliers and distribution, etc.
- Review of application of panels - industrial and process, water industry, power generation and power distribution, marine, oil and gas, transport, general construction etc.
- Component usage - analysis of the range of components used by panel builders.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Key factors impacting on the UK panel building market, including construction, rail infrastructure investment, manufacturing investment, power generation, pharma and process industries, etc.
- Analysis of market prospects for the UK panel building market.
- Review of the renewable energy market and opportunities for panel builders.
- Trends in component usage by panel builders.
- Niche specialist opportunities for panels - e.g. railways, data centres, homeland security, energy efficiency, de-carbonisation equipment used in power generation, colocation centres, etc.
- Detailed market data and insight on the panel builders market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the Companies Included:
ABB, AF Switchgear, Anord Controls Systems, Bilfinger Industrial Automation, Blackburn Starling, Compere Systems, Craig and Derricott, Crompton Controls, Don Controls. Eaton Electric, General Panel Systems (GPS), Hima-Sella, ICW Powermode, Lloyd Morris Electrical (LME), Lucy Electric, Main Systems, Mardix, Max Wright, Mitsubishi Electric Europe BV, Power Panels Electrical Systems, Rockwell Automation, Schneider Electric UK, Siemens Plc, TE Connectivity, Switchgear and Instrumentation, Saftronics, Southern and Redfern Industrial Solutions, Technical Control Systems, Quantum Controls.
Key areas covered in the Report Include:
- Panel Building Market Research and Trends
- Market size and trends from 2012, market influences, forecasts to 2021.
- Market structure - analysis of UK panel builders and companies with panel building operations.
- Major UK panel builders - turnover, range of activities, etc.
- Factors influencing growth, market structure, products sectors etc.
- End use applications - industrial, water industry, power generation, oil, gas and marine, general commercial, transport distribution, in particular rail / HS2, aviation and data centres etc.
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats for the market.
- Panel Builders Output by Panel Type
- Mix of control panel types - motor and process control, power distribution, building control systems, safety, security systems, others.
- Analysis of end-user sectors - percentage of panel builders supplying into each sector, panel types used.
- Analysis of end use applications - assessment of end use application sectors, areas of growth, investment and change, growth of rail investment, growth of datacentre building, development of the advanced manufacturing sector, including aerospace, automotive, pharmaceutical etc and the impacts on the panel builders' market.
- Key influences on renewable energy sources, for example current legislation.
Component Usage & Source of Supply
- Sales into panel builders by major product area - enclosures, control gear, circuit protection and switchgear, power direction products and automation products, etc.
- Review of main products within each area.
- Changing product usage - growth in trends to increasing modularity.
- Major manufacturers and suppliers.
- Key sources of supply - Electrical Wholesalers, Specialists, Direct from Manufacturers, Electronic Component Distributors, Manufactured In-House, etc.
- Factors influencing choice of supplier.
- Review of major sources of supply - General Electrical Wholesalers, Specialist Wholesalers/ Distributors, Electronic Component Distributors, Direct Distribution.
- Niche specialist developments, changing industry structure, implications for suppliers and distributors.Economic influences, changing construction landscape, impact of infrastructure building programme, growth prospects etc.
Growth in the panel builders market accelerated in 2015, with the industrial and infrastructure sectors performing particularly strongly. Power generation was an area of opportunity, with demand for the development of renewable energy assets and for the refurbishment of existing assets in the non-renewable sector, while infrastructure was the best performing sector for new construction work. The panel building sector declined slightly in 2016, mainly due to falls in new work in both the industrial and infrastructure sectors, although market value remains well above 2014 levels. The decline is expected to be a short-term one, with growth expected to return from 2017 onwards.
Factors supporting the market include growth in specialist markets, such as hazardous environments, along with tightening regulation, further environmental legislation and investment in development of the renewable energy sector. Other positive influences include the growth of R&D in the advanced manufacturing sector, the increasing adoption of automation in manufacturing, increasing investment in UK datacentres and the modernisation of the country's rail network.
Factors negatively affecting market growth include ongoing public sector austerity measures (although infrastructure spending is forecast to increase) and a very competitive market that is keeping prices deflated. Also, some significant end use sectors, have seen sharp falls in capital expenditure which may affect growth if fresh investment is not committed in the short-term. Leading end use markets include industrial and manufacturing, water and sewage, power generation, oil, gas and marine, construction and transport.
Power distribution panels represent the largest product sector, followed by motor and process controls and building control systems. Safety, security and other panels make up the remainder of the market. Product development is primarily concerned with modularisation, allowing for quick and flexible installation, reduced maintenance, environmental factors and health and safety, motivating demand for more sophisticated products which can withstand hazardous environments.
List of Report Contents
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS 8
- 2.1 SUMMARY 8
- 2.2 MARKET PROSPECTS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT 10
- 3.1 GDP 10
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 13
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. THE UK PANEL BUILDING MARKET 17
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION & STRUCTURE 17
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS 17
- 4.3 MARKET INFLUENCES 20
- 4.3.1 Non-Domestic Construction 20
- 4.3.2 International Trade 22
- 4.4 STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES AND THREATS 23
- 4.5 PRODUCT MIX 24
- 4.6 COMPONENT USAGE 25
- 4.7 PANEL BUILDING COMPANIES 27
- 4.7.1 Market Structure 27
- 4.7.2 Leading Panel Building Companies 29
- 5. PANEL BUILDERS' END USE APPLICATIONS 35
- 5.1 PANEL BUILDERS' END USER MIX 35
- 5.2 INDUSTRIAL, MANUFACTURING AND PROCESS INDUSTRIES 36
- 5.3 POWER GENERATION & DISTRIBUTION 40
- 5.4 OIL & GAS INDUSTRY 44
- 5.5 TRANSPORT 46
- 5.6 WATER INDUSTRY 48
- 5.7 OTHER SECTORS 50
- 6. PANEL BUILDERS' SUPPLY CHAIN 51
- 6.1 SUPPLY CHANNELS 51
- 6.2 DIRECT DISTRIBUTION 52
- 6.3 ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS 53
- 6.4 ELECTRONIC COMPONENT DISTRIBUTORS 58
- 6.5 E-COMMERCE 58
- 6.6 SPECIFICATION & PROCUREMENT 59
Tables & Charts
- CHART 1: UK MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS FOR PANEL BUILDING 2012-2021 (£M MSP) 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2013-2016 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2021 12
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2021 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2012-2019 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR PANEL BUILDING 2012 - 2021 BY VALUE (£M MSP) 18
- CHART 7: GB NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2011-2021 BY VALUE (£BN) 20
- CHART 8: NON-DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR BY VALUE (%) 2016 21
- TABLE 9: INTERNATIONAL TRADE OF BOARDS, CABINETS AND SIMILAR APPARATUS FOR ELECTRICAL CONTROL 2012 - 2016 (£M) 22
- TABLE 10: SWOT ANALYSIS OF THE PANEL BUILDING MARKET 23
- CHART 11: UK PANEL BUILDING MARKET MIX BY PANEL TYPE 2016 (DISTRIBUTION, PROCESS CONTROL, BCS, SAFETY & SECURITY ETC) 24
- CHART 12: UK PANEL BUILDING MARKET MIX BY COMPANY'S PRIMARY ACTIVITY 2016 27
- CHART 13: UK MANUFACTURERS OF ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION & CONTROL APPARATUS BY TURNOVER (£'000) 2016 28
- CHART 14: UK MANUFACTURERS OF ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION & CONTROL APPARATUS BY EMPLOYEES 2016 29
- CHART 15: UK PANEL BUILDING MARKET MIX BY END USE 2016 (INDUSTRY, OIL / GAS, UTILITY, CONSTRUCTION, WATER, TRANSPORT ETC). 35
- TABLE 16: OVERVIEW OF THE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY - NUMBER OF ENTERPRISES, TURNOVER AND NET CAPITAL INVESTMENT 2012-2015 36
- TABLE 17: UK DATA CENTRE CONSTRUCTION MARKET 2014 TO 2018 BY VALUE (£M) 39
- TABLE 18: CONSUMPTION OF ELECTRICITY IN THE UK 2012-2015 ('000 TOE - TONNES OIL EQUIVALENT) 40
- CHART 19: FUEL INPUT FOR ELECTRICITY GENERATION BY MILLION TOE 1993, 2003 & 2013 (COAL, NATURAL GAS, NUCLEAR) 41
- TABLE 20: UK RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY GENERATION (GWH) - BY TECHNOLOGY (ONSHORE, OFFSHORE, PV, HYDRO, BIOENERGY, ETC) 2012 - 2015 42
- CHART 21: ELECTRICITY SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012 TO 2016- BY VALUE (£BN) 43
- CHART 22: GAS, COMMUNICATIONS & AIR SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012 TO 2016- BY VALUE (£M) 45
- CHART 23: DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT CAPITAL BUDGET 2015-2021 (£BN) 46
- TABLE 24: NET CAPITAL EXPENDITURE - CONSTRUCTION OF RAILWAYS & UNDERGROUND RAILWAYS, 2012-2015 (£M) 47
- TABLE 25: NET CAPITAL EXPENDITURE - PASSENGER & FREIGHT AIR TRANSPORT, 2012-2015 (£M) 48
- CHART 26: WATER & SEWERAGE SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2012 TO 2016 - BY VALUE (£M) 49
- TABLE 27: MAJOR SOURCES OF COMPONENT SUPPLY FOR PANEL BUILDERS 2016 (DIRECT, WHOLESALE, ELECTRONIC COMPONENT DISTRIBUTOR ETC) 51
- CHART 28: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE % MIX: NATIONALS VERSUS LOCALS & REGIONALS - BY VALUE 2012-2016 53
- CHART 29: ELECTRICAL WHOLESALE MARKET SHARES 2016 BY VALUE % (REXEL, EDMUNDSON, CEF ETC.) 54
The 'Panel Builders Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' costs £795+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here .