Panelised Modular Building Systems Market Report - UK 2018-2022
Published: 30/05/2018 / Number of Pages: 60 / Price: £895.00
Introduction and Overview
The 7th edition of the 'Panelised Modular Building Systems Market Report - UK 2018-2022' has been published by AMA Research. Since the 2016 edition of this report, market performance has improved due to growth in demand in key sectors including housebuilding, self-build, student accommodation, hotels. Public sector procurement frameworks have also been key in driving up the use of offsite construction.
Key issues analysed:
- Overall market size & structure - market value, recent trends & growth forecasts, key drivers etc.
- Product mix by value for: timber frame, light steel framing, precast concrete panels & other timber based - SIPS and CLT.
- Key end user sectors analysis - mix by value, market potential for private & social housing, self-build housing, healthcare, education, hotels, prisons, student accommodation, etc.
- Major suppliers by product types - market shares and company profiles.
Areas of particular interest:
- Market forecasts for panelised modular building systems market to 2022.
- Review of key frame / panel product sectors - timber frame, light gauge structural steel framing, concrete & other timber based (structural insulated panels and cross laminated timber systems).
- Performance of key end use markets: focus on housebuilding, healthcare, education, student & keyworker accommodation, self-build, hotels.
- Review of suppliers in each product sector - market shares, major manufacturers.
- Review of market prospects with a key focus on the housing sector and the emergence of cross laminate timber systems.
- Detailed market data and insight on the panelised modular building systems market by AMA Research, a leading UK provider of construction market intelligence.
Some of the companies included:
Advanced Cold Formed Sections, Alexanders Timber Design, Ayrshire Metal Ltd, BW Industries, Caledan, CCG Off-Site Manufacturing, Cornish Concrete Products, Creagh Concrete Products, Cygnum Timber Frame, Deeside Timberframe, Elements (Europe), Enewall, EOS Facades, Explore Manufacturing, Fabricators, Fleming Building, Flight Timber Products, Forterra Building Products, FP McCann, Frame Homes, Frame-Tech Structures, Hadley Steel Framing, Harlow Timber Systems, HEMSEC Manufacturing, Innovare Systems, Kingspan Timber Solutions, Kingspan Timber Solutions, Lowfield Timber Frames, Mactaggart & Mickel Timber Systems, Merronbrook, Metek UK, Metsec Steel Framing, OFP Timber Frame, Orca LGS Solutions, Oregon Timber Frame, Oriented strand board, Panel manufacturers, Pinewood Structures, Robertson Timber Engineering, Roe Timber Frame, Salvesen Insulated Frames, Scotframe Timber Engineering, Sigmat, SIP Building Systems, SIPS (UK), SIPS Eco, SIPS Industries, Space4, Steel Frame Solutions, Stewart Milne Timber Systems, Superior Sections, Sydenhams Timber Engineering, Target Timber Systems, Taylor Lane Timber Frame, The Walker Timber Group, Thorp Precast, TJ Crump Oakwrights, Vision Built Manufacturing, Western Building Systems.
- Total panelised modular building systems market - market analysis by value 2012-2017 and forecasts 2018-2022.
- Key market influences - trends in construction output, housing shortage, public sector offsite procurement frameworks, government initiatives shortage of skills in building trades, increased uptake of Building Information Modelling (BIM).
- Overview of product mix by frame material by value.
Product Sector Review
- Timber frame- sector size by value & volume 2011-2017, key trends and prospects; end user mix; housebuilding mix by developer types; supplier market shares; review of leading manufacturers.
- Light steel frame- sector size by value, key trends and prospects, review of leading suppliers.
- Precast concrete panels- sector size by value, key trends and prospects; review of leading manufacturers.
- Other timber products - structural insulated panels & cross laminated timber systems, etc. sector sizes, key trends and prospects; review of leading suppliers..
Key End Use Sector Reviews
- Overall mix market by end user sector by value.
- Private & social housebuilding - output mix by types of building method i.e. masonry, timber frame & other offsite; review of key changes in the mix and drivers; mix by types of dwelling; assessment of impact of Affordable Homes programme; market prospects and key drivers for offsite e.g. uptake of CLT.
- Self-build housing - trend by number of dwellings 2012-2017; key market drivers, use of offsite building methods.
- Education - overview of general construction trends & applications for offsite e.g. Priority Schools Building Programme and higher education building activity.
- Healthcare - overview of general construction trends & applications for offsite e.g. Procure 21 programme.
- Hotels - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Focus on budget sector.
- Purpose built student accommodation - sector overview, identification of key market divers and recent developments. Identification of leading manufacturers supplying the sector.
Since 2013 the industry has seen steady growth, mostly due to the recovery in the housebuilding, commercial and education sectors. The main product type is timber frame, competing with light gauge steel, precast concrete and other engineered wood-based panels. This latter group includes structural insulated panels (SIPS) and cross laminated timber (CLT) systems. While timber frame is the most widely used type of offsite system in both the social and private housebuilding sectors, over the next few years, it is expected to face stiff competition from cross laminated timber.
Key end use sectors for panelised modular building systems are private and social housing (including self-build), apartment blocks, schools, hotels, healthcare and care facilities and purpose built student accommodation. Residential applications (which includes student and keyworker accommodation but not care homes) account for the majority of the overall market, dominated by private and social housing.
Over the next few years to 2022, there are several factors that could well underpin a steady growth in the sector, probably over and above that forecast in the overall construction industry. These include an increasing use of Building Information Modelling, and an increasing number of public sector procurement frameworks which should enable increased specification of panelised and volumetric modular building systems on social housing new-build developments.More importantly there is now a strong likelihood of an increase in the use of volumetric and other types of offsite construction method to help meet the chronic housing shortage and cope with the lack of traditional construction skills within the construction industry.
List of Report Contents
- Contents Listing
- 1. INTRODUCTION 6
- 1.1 BACKGROUND 6
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION 6
- 2. SUMMARY 8
- 2.1 OVERALL MARKET BACKGROUND 8
- 2.2 MARKET SECTORS AND CHARACTERISTICS 9
- 3. ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT UPDATED 11
- 3.1 GDP 11
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES 12
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT 13
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION 14
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION 14
- 3.6 STERLING 15
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE 15
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS 16
- 4. PANELISED MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS OVERVIEW 17
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION 17
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE, RECENT TRENDS AND INDUSTRY PROSPECTS 17
- 4.2.1 Market Background 17
- 4.2.2 Market Prospects 19
- 4.3 MARKET MIX 20
- 4.4 KEY MARKET FACTORS 21
- 4.4.1 Housebuilding Trends 21
- 4.4.2 Non-Housing Building Trends 23
- 4.4.3 Public Sector Procurement Frameworks 28
- 4.4.4 Building Information Modelling 30
- 4.4.5 Shortages in Traditional Construction Skills 31
- 4.4.6 Perceptions of Costs and Risks 31
- 4.4.7 Quality Assurance 32
- 4.4.8 Sustainability Issues 33
- 4.4.9 Demand for housing 34
- 5. TIMBER FRAME 35
- 5.1 DEFINITION 35
- 5.2 MARKET SIZE AND TRENDS 35
- 5.3 SUPPLY 38
- 5.3.1 Overview 38
- 5.3.2 Manufacturers and suppliers 40
- 6. LIGHT STEEL FRAME SYSTEMS 43
- 6.1 DEFINITION 43
- 6.2 SECTOR SIZE AND TRENDS 43
- 6.3 SUPPLY 44
- 7. PRECAST CONCRETE PANEL SYSTEMS 46
- 7.1 DEFINITION 467.2 SECTOR SIZE AND TRENDS 46
- 7.3 SUPPLY 478. OTHER TYPES OF TIMBER BASED BUILDING SYSTEMS 48
- 8.1 DEFINITION 48
- 8.2 SECTOR SIZE AND TRENDS 48
- 8.3 SUPPLY 49
- 9. END USE MIX 51
- 9.1 DEFINITION AND OVERVIEW 51
- 9.2 PRIVATE AND SOCIAL HOUSING - HOUSING DEVELOPERS 52
- 9.3 SELF-BUILD / CUSTOM BUILD 56
- 9.4 COMMERCIAL AND PUBLIC SECTOR NON-RESIDENTIAL 57
- 9.4.1 Purpose Built Student Accommodation (PBSA) 57
- 9.4.2 Hotels 58
- 9.4.3 Education 59
- 9.4.4 Healthcare 60
- Tables & Charts
- TABLE 1: UK MARKET FOR PANELISED MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS (£M MSP) 2012-2022 8
- TABLE 2: GDP DATA - 2015-2017 - KEY CONSTITUENT ELEMENTS 11
- CHART 3: INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 2000-2022 13
- CHART 4: PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 2000-2022 14
- TABLE 5: EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2014-2020 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND THE EURO, SPOT RATES 15
- TABLE 6: UK MARKET FOR PANELISED MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS (£M MSP) 2012-2017, FORECASTS 2018-2022 18
- CHART 7: UK MARKET FOR PANELISED MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS BY FRAME MATERIAL (TIMBER FRAME, LSF, SIPS, PRECAST, ETC.) BY VALUE 20
- CHART 8: HOUSEBUILDING STARTS & COMPLETIONS AND FORECASTS (GB) BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS 2012 - 2017 & FORECASTS 2018 -2022 (000S) 21
- TABLE 9: UK HOUSING COMPLETIONS (NO. DWELLINGS) 2012-2022 22
- CHART 10: NON-HOUSING CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT IN KEY MARKETS BY VALUE (£MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES) 2012-2016 & FORECASTS 2017-2021 23
- CHART 11: UK BUDGET HOTEL SECTOR CUMULATIVE GROWTH IN TOTAL ROOM NUMBERS 2010 - 2016 24
- CHART 12: ESTIMATED NUMBER OF NEW STUDENT BED SPACES BUILT PER YEAR 2013-2022 25
- CHART 13: UK TIMBER FRAME HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS ('000) 2011 TO 2017 36
- CHART 14: UK TIMBER FRAME HOUSING ESTIMATED COMPLETIONS BY SECTOR (SOCIAL, PRIVATE, SELF-BUILD) % BY VOLUME 2017 37
- CHART 15: SHARE OF TIMBER FRAME MANUFACTURERS TO THE HOUSEBUILDING SECTORS (DEVELOPERS, SELF-BUILD, BOTH) 2017 39
- TABLE 16: TIMBER FRAME SYSTEMS -SUPPLIER SHARES AND MARKETS SERVED 40
- CHART 17: MARKET FOR PANELISED MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS BY END USE SECTORS (RESIDENTIAL, MOD, HEALTHCARE, EDUCATION, HOTELS ETC.) BY VALUE 2017 51
- CHART 18: HOUSEBUILDING OUTPUT BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS BY CONSTRUCTION METHOD (MASONRY, OFFSITE, OTHER) 2017 52
- CHART 19: UK PANELISED MODULAR BUILDING SYSTEMS MARKET SHARES BY TYPES OF DWELLING 53
- CHART 20: AFFORDABLE HOUSING NEWBUILD IN ENGLAND 2009-10 TO 2016-17 54
- CHART 21: SELF-BUILD OUTPUT BY NUMBER OF DWELLINGS ('000) 2012 -2017 56
The 'Panelised Modular Building Systems Market Report - UK 2018-2022' costs £895+VAT (if applicable) for a PDF version.
Other formats are available - click here for a information about available report formats. All AMA reports are sold with a single user licence as standard. For more information about AMA licences click here.